The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Page 566

• wuntyphyve 24 Apr 2017 19:58:50 11,053 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @quadfather right you are.
  • INSOMANiAC 9 Jul 2017 14:03:21 4,486 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does anyone know if you still get the special edition as a free uprgrade if you buy the legendary edition or all the DLC? I want the special edition but its cheaper to buy legendary
  • hedben2013 23 Aug 2017 16:08:23 904 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just bought the remastered edition on Xbone in the spotlight sale. I liked having mods on Fallout 4, nothing game-breaking, mainly extra music, visual tweaks and the odd unique (but not overpowered) weapon. What's good mod-wise in Skyrim?
  • hedben2013 23 Aug 2017 16:24:25 904 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ...okay so after a bit of backreading it sounds like SkyUI, cloaks, and some of the patch and quest mods are right up my street. Thanks, people who already addressed this about a year ago!
  • DrStrangelove 23 Aug 2017 16:33:15 13,426 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't name particular mods for this because it's been a while and I only really played the original game (whose mods may not work in the SE), but imo among the most important ones is one that makes people flee from vampire attacks. At around level 10, vampires start to attack cities and ordinary people just attack them on sight with zero chance of survival (the vampires are like 100 times stronger). That's just stupidly stupid AI. Once they're dead they're gone forever and you lose valuable merchants or quest givers. For example, Adrianne Avenicci of Whiterun, one of my favourite merchants, will die early on, and you don't want her dead unless you're some Australian psychopath. So personally I greatly recommend installing one of those.

Another problem is that merchants have so little money to buy your loot, I fix that with mods too (in this case, I made my own for the original game, but there are mods available for download I believe). Sure, you could spend your precious perks on giving them a bit more cash, or you could exploit the punch-the-shopkeeper bug, but honestly... just improve the game by having a mod that gives them enough money.
  • spamdangled 23 Aug 2017 16:53:24 31,738 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do mods disable achievements? I've had the remastered Xbox version sitting on my shelf for a while but I was actually thinking of playing it this evening. If mods disable achievements, and that vampire thing Dr Strangelove mentioned is as bad as it sounds, then it's going to be really annoying.
  • DUFFMAN5 23 Aug 2017 17:01:29 23,940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @spamdangled
    Dale
    Do you mean the in game mods that were added ? if so I think they do disable them.
  • spamdangled 23 Aug 2017 17:09:56 31,738 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Damn. In which case, it's pretty dumb that vampire thing was overlooked.

But then, it's Bethesda.
  • hedben2013 23 Aug 2017 17:26:20 904 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Good suggestions, thanks

Most likely I'll use the same approach I used for Fallout 4... install dozens of mods, realise it doesn't "feel right", then gradually remove them til I'm left with the best. I'll report back :)
  • DrStrangelove 23 Aug 2017 18:18:04 13,426 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @spamdangled

Yes, running any mods disables achievements in the special edition (it didn't in the original game). If you want achievements you're out of luck, you've got to play what's basically vanilla Skyrim with DLC and some minor graphics tweaks.

As a PC player with all DLCs I even got the SE for free, but I quickly returned to just playing the original game. In that, I've got SkyUI and some self-made mods created with trial and error that aren't compatible with the SE. The SE adds some foliage and does a few other minor graphics tweaks, but that's it. The graphics changes aren't all for the better either, as I pointed out back then with screenshot comparisons (less detailed night sky, some textures of lower detail than the original PC HD textures, overly bright night etc.). Aside from those few graphics tweaks, nothing was changed, all the bugs remained. It's a very lazy "special edition" that doesn't deserve to be sold at full price, and I couldn't be arsed to recreate my mods from scratch. Just not worth it.
  • hedben2013 31 Aug 2017 10:59:51 904 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    @DrStrangelove Good suggestions, thanks

Most likely I'll use the same approach I used for Fallout 4... install dozens of mods, realise it doesn't "feel right", then gradually remove them til I'm left with the best. I'll report back :)
    I'm reporting back!

- First, this game is awesome
    - Shame I couldn't import my x360 character just to remember which quest lines I completed, but re-rolling a dark-skinned Argonian lizard was fun
    - Last character was a stealthy archer assassin. This one will be a stealthy mage. I toyed with going full brute force and no stealth, but just can't bring myself not to sneak around dungeons rather than just charging in
    - Mod-wise, I've got the unofficial patch, realistic water, lush vegetation, immersive characters, improved map showing paths, and Ars Metallica (expands o crafting options) all running with no issues so far. Haven't done any comparisons of the visual mods vs. without yet. It doesn't look massively different to the x360 version, but that's probably because I remember it looking nicer than it actually was?
    -I wanted to use an Elemental Destruction Magic mod that added earth, water and wind but could only find a French version in the mod browser. Haven't figured out yet if this would mean French text within the game, or if it only applies to the mod help text
    - Will also be experimenting with the campsite mod and perks, relationship dialogue, and a few weather FX mods once I'm further into the game
    - Tried the cloak and fur mods and they looked great, but removed because it didn't "feel" right that almost every character had one
    - This game is awesome
  • hedben2013 13 Sep 2017 15:01:56 904 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, I made it to level 13 before finally progressing the main quest far enough to unlock shouts. Solved the issue I had with the weird French-language version of the popluar Elemental Destruction Magic mod, been playing around with it and it seems great, adding variety without being unbalanced. Felt pretty smug in my sneaky mage abilities after a few successful dungeon runs and then promptly got my arse handed to me by a lone Ice Wraith on the way to Bleak Falls Barrow. I may be shouting into a void with rekindled Skyrim love since I got the Xbox SE version recently but that's ok because, as I may have mentioned before, this game is awesome.
  • Humperfunk 13 Sep 2017 17:38:30 7,893 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I started the PS4 version at the weekend after completing on Xbox 360 on release six years ago. Put in about 10 or so hours and have made it to the Greybeard lads, currently standing outside their house thing ready to progress.

The game is absolutely as good as I remember, felt like a comfy pair of slippers just getting back involved. Will have to park it in two weeks for Danganronpa 3, but one of those games that is so deep yet easy to pick up and play I find.
  • hedben2013 20 Sep 2017 16:13:33 904 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Look, I'm going to keep using this thread as my personal Skyrim-with-mods blog, I don't care if hardly anyone's reading it.

- My stealthy mage has morphed into another stealthy archer assassin (who is also a destruction mage when everything kicks off). This is a bit disappointing because I wanted to see more perks I hadn't unlocked in my first playthrough, but entirely self-inflicted- I just can't resist sneaking through dungeons. Anyway, after a bit of research I'm aiming for Bound Bow with the other spells/perks that make it effective for stealth (muffle or silent casting basically). Unlike Bound Sword, which is outclassed by real one-handed weapons early on (and especially daggers combined with sneak attacks and perks), it sounds like Bound Bow can be just as good as a physical one.
    - Temptation is increasing to start another playthrough with a full dual-wielding no stealth Orc, just to see how that playstyle goes- and I'd go for the Double Perks mod to be able to level up and see more perks in less time.
    - Hearthfire is strangely addictive, and with Ars Metallica installed it's much easier to get the many, many iron ingots you need to build and furnish your manor.
    - The Sounds of Skyrim mods are easy to get used to and forget about... until you turn them off and realise they really do add something to the world.
    - Unread Books Glow is absolutely essential for a second playthrough (for me at least)- fantastic not having to open every book just in case it gives a spell/quest/skill point.
    - I caved in and installed Rich Merchants so it's easier to sell everything I don't need without investing in them first- just a bit more respectful of the limited time I have, and means I can spend it questing rather than hopping from town to town just to sell stuff.
    - TGIA
  • DrStrangelove 20 Sep 2017 16:44:00 13,426 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    - My stealthy mage has morphed into another stealthy archer assassin (who is also a destruction mage when everything kicks off). This is a bit disappointing because I wanted to see more perks I hadn't unlocked in my first playthrough, but entirely self-inflicted- I just can't resist sneaking through dungeons. Anyway, after a bit of research I'm aiming for Bound Bow with the other spells/perks that make it effective for stealth (muffle or silent casting basically). Unlike Bound Sword, which is outclassed by real one-handed weapons early on (and especially daggers combined with sneak attacks and perks), it sounds like Bound Bow can be just as good as a physical one.
    - Temptation is increasing to start another playthrough with a full dual-wielding no stealth Orc, just to see how that playstyle goes- and I'd go for the Double Perks mod to be able to level up and see more perks in less time.
    It's very tempting to sneak through the dungeons, especially when you are on your own. I could never get to like dual-wielding in Skyrim, it just feels odd to me, and less fun than sword+shield. Skyrim's combat system just isn't good enough for something like that, in my opinion.

A non-stealth playstyle I find a lot of fun is battlemage, sword in your right hand, destruction and conjuration in your left. Mixing these three up is good fun, and those magic types prevent stealth.
  • hedben2013 20 Sep 2017 17:03:39 904 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @DrStrangelove I've tried combining one-handed and destruction- it worked fine for the novice destruction spells that you can just spam at someone right in front of you, but as soon as I graduated to adept (ice spike etc), the "charge and release" way of firing them was trickier and I kept missing. More practice needed I guess!

If I'm re-rolling a non-magic non-stealth character I'll give sword and shield a go as well as two-handed. For a game with so much melee combat variety, it would be a shame to never even try that stuff
  • Humperfunk 20 Sep 2017 17:35:55 7,893 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm playing as a stealthy archer still, although as soon as that's out the window then the sword and destruction magic come out - never ever played Elder Scrolls with magic before so finding it quite cool and different :)
  • mrharvest 20 Sep 2017 18:36:10 5,584 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I always play these "challenge" playthroughs. Like
    -no selling loot
    -no smithing, no enhanting
    -no summons
    -no stealth (makes the game really dull, imo)

Then mix that with concept characters, e.g.:
    -orc chef assassin (wearing only appropriate clothes, obviously)
    -lizard wizard in all plate
    -reachman (only forsworn armour)
    etc.

I try to restrict each character to their archetype, so 1 guild only. I've also tried with various difficulty mods but most of them just add more grind.
  • JamboWayOh 20 Sep 2017 18:58:37 10,769 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • JamboWayOh 20 Sep 2017 19:01:07 10,769 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's an interesting play style. While I may rag on Bethesda for the technical shakiness, their word building, sense of place and ability to make the player feel freedom in what they want to be are pretty high. I've not long had the special edition on the xbox and I've pretty much modded the hell out of it. Currently playing as a stealthy archer who can pretty much one shot enemies in stealth mode. I also added the rich merchant mod, I felt had no choice as I always found it annoying how the merchants never had any money. I am amused that you can still rank up your smithing ability by crafting endless iron daggers.
  • DrStrangelove 20 Sep 2017 19:33:55 13,426 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    @DrStrangelove I've tried combining one-handed and destruction- it worked fine for the novice destruction spells that you can just spam at someone right in front of you, but as soon as I graduated to adept (ice spike etc), the "charge and release" way of firing them was trickier and I kept missing. More practice needed I guess!
    Yes, forgot you play on console. Fireballs etc. are definitely easier with key+mouse, I found it much harder when playing with pad on the telly. Conjuration is my best friend there though.
  • DrStrangelove 20 Sep 2017 19:46:05 13,426 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I am amused that you can still rank up your smithing ability by crafting endless iron daggers.
    That's pretty inefficient though. The skill increase is proportional to the value added to the item in the process, and as such iron daggers are bad for three reasons:
    A) iron items are cheap, so there's little value added.
    B) daggers are cheap, same problem - spending an ingot on improving a dagger gives much less skill increase than spending one on a warhammer or armour. Daggers have the advantage that you can carry a lot of them of course, but helmets have a far better value/weight ratio, which is why I prefer them.
    C) there's no smithing perk that increases leather or iron smithing. Starting with steel smithing, the increase is doubled, making steel and above a much better choice for levelling up your smithing.
  • JamboWayOh 20 Sep 2017 19:49:16 10,769 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I am amused that you can still rank up your smithing ability by crafting endless iron daggers.
    That's pretty inefficient though. The skill increase is proportional to the value added to the item in the process, and as such iron daggers are bad for three reasons:
    A) iron items are cheap, so there's little value added.
    B) daggers are cheap, same problem - spending an ingot on improving a dagger gives much less skill increase than spending one on a warhammer or armour. Daggers have the advantage that you can carry a lot of them of course, but helmets have a far better value/weight ratio, which is why I prefer them.
    C) there's no smithing perk that increases leather or iron smithing. Starting with steel smithing, the increase is doubled, making steel and above a much better choice for levelling up your smithing.
    I see what you're saying but starting out when gold is low, iron daggers are the best value things to make.
  • DrStrangelove 20 Sep 2017 20:05:07 13,426 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, of course you have to start with something. I understood your post as levelling up on higher levels still just using iron daggers. That takes ages.

edit: I also missed that you were talking about crafting, not improving. I think collecting valuable items and improving them is the most cost-efficient way to level up. Thus my comment on spending one ingot on improving something, because the cost is the same if it's a dagger or armour, but the outcome is very different.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 20:08:46 20-09-2017
  • JamboWayOh 20 Sep 2017 20:08:00 10,769 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Yes, of course you have to start with something. I understood your post as levelling up on higher levels still just using iron daggers. That takes ages.
    Ohhhhhh God no, as you say, ages. I must say playing this again it's really brought it home how much of a disappointment fallout 4 was.
  • hedben2013 21 Sep 2017 09:03:50 904 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I power-levelled Illusion and Conjuration yesterday evening, just so I could get the Silent Casting and Magic Binding perks that make Bound Bow effective. It only occurred halfway through the process that I could probably have used a mod to achieve the same thing without the grind, but that would have felt much more cheat-y than the other stuff I've modded.

Anyway, alternately casting Calm and Courage on the cow at my manor was entertaining in its own way.
  • hedben2013 3 Oct 2017 22:49:01 904 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So it seems I now have Creation Club, and the free-to-try Survival mode.

I started a new character with survival mode enabled, got as far as Riverwood, went into the inn to get warm, slept 6 hours to get rid of fatigue, and then had to eat no less than 10 loaves of bread to go from "hungry" to "satiated". Have to say, I'm not hugely impressed so far...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.