Following Buying a Macbook Pro? Page 27

• Kay 2 Oct 2018 14:45:13 20,851 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    The amount of problems the MBPs have had since the redesign in 2016 I'd be tempted to hang onto the 2012 model, if it's still working OK, and wait for the next redesign.
    After playing around with the new MBPs at the Apple Store again, I think this is what I have decided on. My MBP still largely runs fine tbh, the only reason I was looking to upgrade was because it started acting weird a few months ago - not waking up from sleep, apps not loading, and sometimes not booting OS at all (which required a restore from backup a few times). But funnily enough, for the past few weeks it's been perfectly fine!

Slightly reduced size and weight aside, the new MBPs still look very similar to mine, and tbh I'm not sold on the new keyboards too, so it's hard to justify the cost. My only concern is my one suddenly starting to crap out again at the worst moment, with loads of assignments + a dissertation to work on, but if it can hold out for at least one more year then I'll happily stick with it.
  • Kay 17 Dec 2018 12:45:35 20,851 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I finally took the plunge and bought a new 15" Pro over the weekend. The device itself is great, looks lovely, and I even like the keyboard. However, I'm disappointed at how bad the motion blur is on the screen. I've looked online and it's basically as this video shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaXf1yh5Vl8

It's not a huge dealbreaker, but it is a bit annoying and distracting, considering the price of the thing. Anyone else have this issue? I'll pop into the Apple store to see if other laptops exhibit the same thing...
  • elstoof 29 Jul 2019 15:07:09 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Got myself a 15Ē MBP and itís quite nice actually. Donít see what all the keyboard fuss is about and the Touch Bar isnít as shit as I was expecting. I had to buy a dongle obvs but other than that no complaints. Donít seem to be having any motion blur like Kay mentioned, the screen is well tidy
  • Ryze 29 Jul 2019 17:00:56 3,717 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They're lovely devices, but the keyboard faults and the display cable issues are very real.

I'd like to think that they've rolled out hardware revisions to resolve these issues by now, but I'm sticking to my 2015 MBP for at least another two years until I'm certain. I only feel that I'm missing out on USB Type-C / Thunderbolt 3, and I'm happy with that for now, until they become ubiquitous.

As with phones, I tend to tick/tock back and forth between platforms, so I'll likely grab an Asus if I need another laptop between now and 2021. If I need another Macbook, it'll have to be a complete bargain, or another 2015 model.

Again, hopefully the issues are largely resolved by now.
  • Huggybear 29 Jul 2019 17:35:18 1,783 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Got myself a 15Ē MBP and itís quite nice actually. Donít see what all the keyboard fuss is about
    Depends on what you mean by "fuss"?

If you mean typing on it then some like it, some seem to hate it. If you mean keys malfunctioning, then of course you won't because yours is new. I bought one in 2017 and several (four or five) keys stopped working properly within six months, and I sent it in for repairs under warranty. The "repair" means replacing the entire top half, including the glued-in battery.

I like the thing, but I definitely wouldn't buy a new Macbook until they completely redesign the keyboard.
  • elstoof 29 Jul 2019 18:07:38 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yes, I mean ďfussĒ because thereís been a ďfussĒ about some people liking it and some people hating it
  • Your-Mother 29 Jul 2019 20:09:53 5,442 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Recently got the i9 MacBook Pro for work. Potential future mechanical issues aside, the keyboard seems fine to me. Also really like the Touch Bar - Iím not sure what the internet outrage is about that.
  • Tonka 29 Jul 2019 20:14:45 31,378 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Lack of esc mainly. Mostly affect coders that touch type. I also wouldn't want to change physical volume buttons since that means I can adjust the volume without looking at the keyboard

The emoji picker sure seems nice though.
  • Load_2.0 29 Jul 2019 20:18:27 32,306 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    MacBook Pro?

More like MacBook NO!
  • Your-Mother 29 Jul 2019 20:20:02 5,442 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I can see that. I spend most of my working life in Skype/Teams meetings so the touch accessible call/screen controls were of immediate use to me, and even though it could be a separate button anyway, Touch ID is nice.
  • Tonka 29 Jul 2019 21:00:12 31,378 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think much of the furor over the MacBook BRO attend from that it targets middle managers rather than developers.

Still professionals, just not the old kind.
  • elstoof 29 Jul 2019 22:04:10 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím going to go on record and state that I like the Touch Bar. Iím not a code wanker though so maybe thatís why
  • Ryze 29 Jul 2019 22:06:36 3,717 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    2015 model still rules for me - except that I want to use the Thunderbolt ports to bypass USB3, and access PCI-E.

It seems overly difficult to find any Thunderbolt 2 devices these days.

Thunderbolt 2 to eSATA and NVME/M.2 would be nice, but I guess I can just convert Thunderbolt 3. Bloody costly, but I want access to high speed storage beyond the USB bus.
  • Phattso 29 Jul 2019 22:38:55 26,294 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Iím a developer. I love the Touch Bar. So there.
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Jul 2019 23:05:22 29,302 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How the fuck can you use a computer without an escape key?
    Surely there is some fudge!
  • elstoof 29 Jul 2019 23:08:24 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Touch Bar has an escape button, itís just not a physical key
  • ozthegweat 29 Jul 2019 23:26:37 2,708 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I mostly ignore the touch bar on my work MBP. When I need to change volume or brightness it's more cumbersome than the old bar with physical keys. And "pressing" the esc key I haven't got used to in the almost 3 years since I got it. I recently bought a MBA which has physical keys and Touch ID, which for me is the ideal combo.
  • ozthegweat 29 Jul 2019 23:31:36 2,708 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, there are rumours afloat of a new MBP coming in September with a completely new keyboard. 16 inch screen in the same device size as the current 15.4 inch MBP.

Although I'm more interested in ARM MacBooks.
  • Tonka 30 Jul 2019 06:41:14 31,378 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    How the fuck can you use a computer without an escape key?
    Surely there is some fudge!
    What elstoof said. Sorry for the confusion.
  • elstoof 30 Jul 2019 07:02:07 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    Also, there are rumours afloat of a new MBP coming in September with a completely new keyboard. 16 inch screen in the same device size as the current 15.4 inch MBP.

Although I'm more interested in ARM MacBooks.
    I thought about waiting to see what this would look like, then a remembered the £2800 price for the top spec 15Ē and realised that no 16Ē would be less. Iíll get the vat back on my base MBP so 2 grand was just about palatable
  • elstoof 30 Jul 2019 07:07:17 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Also managed to purge untold shit from my HD to make the 256 a non issue. 17 years of rubbish Iíd accumulated filling 450 of my old laptops 512gb, trimmed to 110. I had apps from 2004 on there, mountains of Logic/GarageBand loops and samples
  • Zerobob 30 Jul 2019 10:38:18 2,656 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was waiting for a MBP chassis refresh (to rule out any keyboard issues) to eventually replace my 2015 13" MBP (although it's still going strong) but then I moved jobs and they gave me a 2017 15" MBP, which is a mixed bag for me.

Ditching the Magsafe was a huge mistake, in terms of convenience and protection of the device. The dongle (necessary for external monitors) covers up the headphone jack, so I can't use my headphones. The keyboard keys are noisy but useable. There's also a disconcerting "click" in the hinge when I shut the lid, as if the mechanism has become misaligned or something.

I'm indifferent about the touchbar. I barely touch it, other than to press 'esc' or adjust the brightness / volume.

On the plus side, it's a great size and very portable for a 15" laptop, with a huge screen that displays colours nicely, which is great for my design work. The speakers are great, as with all MacBooks. It also runs MacOS which, let's face it, is the OS you'll want to stick with if you've ever used a Mac for any period of time.
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Jul 2019 10:41:33 29,302 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MagSafe is indeed awesome, I think you can get aftermarket usb-c equivalents
  • elstoof 30 Jul 2019 11:56:16 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I like MagSafe even though Iíve never had any need for it from tripping over a cable, and itís annoying how it falls out when moving the laptop around. Just seems a more elegant solution
  • Tonka 30 Jul 2019 12:21:11 31,378 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Being able to charge my laptop with my phone chargers, and vice versa, beats magsafe for me.

Yes 15W is enough to charge a laptop over night.
  • elstoof 30 Jul 2019 12:46:22 26,254 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    How long does it take with a 5W phone charger
  • Nazo 30 Jul 2019 15:31:02 1,518 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Iíve got a 2016 MBP from work, keep hoping the keyboard will go so I can get a newer one but no joy so far. Biggest problem for me is thereís a bug that makes the sound out of the internal speakers become muffled. Restarting the sound process fixes it temporarily so youíd think it was a software issue but reports online have said it can only be fixed by hardware replacement.

Not sure how a dongle would block the headphones socket though, surely you can just plug it into a different port? Iím using a usb-c to monitor cable so no dongle needed (for that anyway)
  • Zerobob 31 Jul 2019 10:27:29 2,656 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Nazo I heard issues reported about the speakers on the 2016 MBP at release; One of the many reasons I chose not to buy one and went for a refurbished 2015 model instead.

What angers me the most is that a premium laptop has such basic issues with its keyboard and speakers, issues a £300 Acer laptop doesn't have, never mind a £2k MBP.

A lot of people online talk in detail about Apple's various replacement programmes, or warranty, or Apple Care, as if they simply accept Apple's position of selling laptops with known issues.

I could plug the dongle into the other side of the laptop, yes, but it'd be a stretch for all the various cables and very inconvenient due to the necessary placement of the laptop on my desk.
  • mothercruncher 31 Jul 2019 10:55:06 18,378 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    How long does it take with a 5W phone charger
    Dude, chill- you havenít got a spare 37 hours to go from 54 to 62%?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.