India Page 2

Next Last
  • Zomoniac 22 Mar 2011 18:04:09 10,031 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have to fly on my own. Not booked flights yet. Scared to for some reason. I don't even know the itinary, I'm meeting some friends that have been there since January. I know I'm meeting them in Delhi, then we'll be moving around the north, in Uttarakhand in the Corbett tiger reserve, then I have to make my way on my own from wherever we happen to be in India back to Delhi to fly back. It's not too bad until that last bit. Could be a ten hour bus ride, alone :/

(copied from last page because of page break)
  • danathjo 22 Mar 2011 18:23:42 8,196 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All I could suggest is to bring extra patience, expect to be harassed by the locals a lot but try to take it in good humour instead of snapping back at them.

Don't give beggars money, some people give begging children sweets or pens, personally I sometimes bought a bunch of bananas (or something similar) and gave them food instead as a lot of money won't even go to the kid.

If you do any train journeys take 2nd class sleepers and ask for the top bunk, you'll meet a lot of interesting people that will want to talk to you...had some great times on long journeys. With the top bunk option you can at least have the option to go to bed when you want, otherwise you'll have to wait for everyone else to stop talking and go to bed before you can get some shut eye.

Will post more if I remember, been a few years...plus i'm watching the simpsons :)
  • CasperCCC 22 Mar 2011 22:05:28 1,087 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't be scared. It's ace. Mental, but ace. I had a near-ten hour bus ride too. That was *really* mental. I wasn't officially on my own, but the bus was rammed and so my girlfriend was dragged off by friendly locals to sit in the women's seats, and I had to sit in the stairwell by the driver. Was a great journey. Everyone v friendly, even though no one spoke a word of English.
  • Deleted user 22 March 2011 22:40:00
    You'll be fine. I've never been let loose on my own India. Always wanted to try it.

Anyway can't you rearrange the flight back closer to the time?
  • johnlenham 23 Mar 2011 10:12:12 4,000 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    I'm meant to be going in three weeks. I'm scared. Tell me not to be scared.

It was fine, I did want to throw a guy off a cliff for endlessly pestering me with his tourist shite rocks "his family had dug up" that included one made of plastic but that was one time in five weeks.

Like others have said dont or alteast avoid giving money to beggers or you wil lbe SWARMED in mere minuites, we even had people that wernt beggers try their luck!

But I stayed in the mid and south, a friend we met out there said the north was intense and the come in my shop/begging is alot more intense up there.
    A choice quote being "agrra is nice but I imagine thats where the word aggrevation comes from!"

I was only sick for two days due to heat stroke (full day on a boat in the sun +little water= me passing out in the bathroom and puking my guts up)
    I never got Dheli belly so my supply of imodium was a waste! I would suggest taking dirolite rehydration sachets though as they were a god send.

If you get a meat curry chances are the "lamb" is goat and the chicken will be what I called chicken knuckles so meat on chunks of bone in odd shapes and its hard as fuck to eat and usually not worth the trouble

No one seemed to give a shit about how we ate (the whole no left hand usage) but you usually get knifes and forks anyway.

Try Gulab juman I think its called, its like deepfried dough in sugar surup (swimming in it) so good!

Cleartrip is amazing for booking train tickets and the internt costs feck all to use, I would suggest sleeper class even from day trips as it was usually empty (in the day) and you had the whole thing to yourself, cattle class is alright once but I wouldnt make a habit of it!

For the love of god if you ever decide to take a night sleeper bus PAY FIRST CLASS! my god we skimped out too save money and it was the worst journey ever imaginable, first class took the next time was like 5 star by comparison.

The majority of folks spoke english in some form which is pretty impressive since they usually speak fluent hindi and state language! 3 and I can stuggle with 1!

Its allways an option that you could book a flight back to dheli internally from where you are? thats how we got back from Goa to mumbai as it cost us 20 each which is nothing compared to the alternative

Also you will only be on your own if you choose to be. We met SO many people and even had a guy travel with us for a week of it and had many opertunitys to go with other groups and had we had more time we would have!

Ill try and think of more advice!

Oh summer sleeping bag (really small thing) and a travel towl were easly the best purchases/things to take. I would have been screwed with the lack of towls provided and also it gets cold on the trains.

Public bus is the cheapest way to get around and nice if you bag the front seats. 6 and half hour journey for 1!
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Apr 2017 12:20:06 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm off to India for 10 days a week on Saturday.
    Flying to Delhi and will crash at a mate's there, I imagine we should spend some time in Delhi and visit the Golden Triangle.
    Apart from that it would be good to go somewhere relaxing for a few days, any recommendations?
    Goa, Kerala?
  • Youthist 8 Apr 2017 14:32:22 13,847 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Make sure you sample as much of the local food as possible at all times
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Apr 2017 15:53:25 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Make sure you sample as much of the local food as possible at all times
    That's what I'm looking forward to most :)
  • elstoof 8 Apr 2017 15:55:41 23,687 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Street pakoras
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Apr 2017 16:21:19 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Street pakoras
    No-one told me they had street food!
    Wow...
  • Technoishmatt 8 Apr 2017 16:34:06 3,485 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Did a great street food tour of Old Delhi, run by locals. Should come up on tripadvisor. They make sure you dont get sick...

Kerala was great. Cochin is fairly cute, but to get away from it a bit further south has beaches, surfing. I didnt like the southern food that much, very pickly flavours. Northern curries on other hand!!!!
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Apr 2017 13:15:42 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm off tomorrow, looking at
    3 days Delhi
    1 day Agra
    1 day Jaipur
    2 days Jodhpur
    3 days Udaipur

Sounds reasonable for 10 days?
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Apr 2017 13:16:05 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Remarkably good advice
    This is amazing.
    No solution to a wet arse though, is there?
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Apr 2017 11:48:41 27,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The plane reeks, not big on personal hygiene are Indians :(
  • Dirtbox 22 Apr 2017 11:52:37 91,178 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • THFourteen 22 Apr 2017 11:54:44 52,595 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The plane reeks, not big on personal hygiene are Indians :(
    Get used to that.

Also get used to the fact that they don't follow anything remotely like what we would consider to be minimal levels of politeness

Other people like it but I've never enjoyed going to India.

Enjoy :-)
  • elstoof 22 Apr 2017 15:39:10 23,687 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    But it's all spritual over there isn't it, everyone's thinking about Ganesh and the elephants and that doesn't leave much time for washing or manners. Small price to pay to get yourself more mystical and take loads of ketamine in the jungle
  • robc84 22 Apr 2017 15:57:20 13,688 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm off to Mumbai for my annual work trip in June.

I'll never forget coming out of the airport the first time I went. A combination of the heat and the smell really hits you :)

I don't get to experience much of India really, other than the taxi drive from hotel to office. That's experience enough though!
  • THFourteen 22 Apr 2017 16:02:20 52,595 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    But it's all spritual over there isn't it, everyone's thinking about Ganesh and the elephants and that doesn't leave much time for washing or manners. Small price to pay to get yourself more mystical and take loads of ketamine in the jungle
    I remember going over there when I was about 19 and being dragged to some stupid famous temple by my parents in tirupati

One of the "worshippers" decided to try and forcefully shove my little sister out of the way I went ape shit and shoved the guy back and it all kicked off and we got thrown out by security

My parents tried to tell me that the guy did nothing wrong and I should behave myself

That's what's fucking wrong with India.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.