Prologue on consoles and PCs few weeks before full releases

First Previous
  • Deleted user 2 September 2010 10:16:14
    Do you want more developers/publishers following Capcom and creating 4-5 hour section of their full games and charging less than a fiver, a few weeks before the release date?

I think its a great idea, as long as you always get a bit of content for your money, and even more so when they let players carry over a few of the upgrades/skills earned from the prologue into the full game.
    Publishers who are complaining about the cost of developing demos, can earn a bit of money as long as they provide a bit more content and gamers can spend quite a bit of time experimenting with the title before deciding whether the full retail version will be worth the purchase.

As for Case Zero, I am really enjoying it, but decided the Prologue is the perfect length for this type of game for me.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2010 10:18:12
    Nah, I'd still rather have a free demo.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2010 10:19:14
    But demos usually lasts around half an hour, but Dead Rising case Zero is a 4-5 hour game and only costs 3.40 (400 points).
  • Deleted user 2 September 2010 10:22:51
    You also get the achievement points and trophies.
  • AaronTurner 2 Sep 2010 10:23:10 11,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So why not download the demo of Dead Rising Case Zero and see if you enjoy it?
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Sep 2010 10:24:00 40,158 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    No. Don't like the idea of games getting even more dissected than they already are. DLC here, exclusive pre-order bonus there, etc. etc. etc.
  • TheSaint 2 Sep 2010 10:24:44 18,761 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wait a demo of a demo?

/head explodes
  • Deleted user 2 September 2010 10:25:13
    TheSaint wrote:
    Wait a demo of a demo?

/head explodes

LOL
  • speedofthepuma 2 Sep 2010 10:27:52 13,428 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    No. Don't like the idea of games getting even more dissected than they already are. DLC here, exclusive pre-order bonus there, etc. etc. etc.

This.

While I can see the distinction between this and a demo I simply don't want my game in this way. It getting that I might wait for a year and get the "game of the year edition" of stuff where you pay 1/5 of the original price and get all the pre and post game content in one package.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2010 10:28:04
    AaronTurner wrote:

Only works if you have xbox live arcade.
  • AaronTurner 2 Sep 2010 10:28:55 11,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Really Dead Rising Case Zero is just DLC that has been released before the actual game. It's essentially a mission pack. It's certainly far bigger than a demo and it's not a portion of the main game. I thought it was worth the money. Considering I spent around 5 hours on it, that's a lot better value than most full priced games.
  • AaronTurner 2 Sep 2010 10:30:14 11,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:

Well... yeah?
  • Deleted user 2 September 2010 10:31:10
    AaronTurner wrote:
    boabg wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:

Well... yeah?

Well thats not what the thread is entirely about is it? It's about the possibility of more games beginning to do this kind of thing.
  • AaronTurner 2 Sep 2010 10:36:15 11,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Right... well it was just a reply to someone complaining about having to pay for a demo when in actual fact you don't have to. Apologies keeper of threads.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2010 10:38:46
    How precious o_0

It's not rocket science, I'm sorry you managed to confuse yourself so completely with this entirely simple premise.
  • AaronTurner 2 Sep 2010 10:40:52 11,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ok then fella, thanks for explaining that to me. I'll be sure and not reply to anyones concerns if it falls ever so slightly out of the threads initial subject matter.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2010 10:42:41
    i like the idea of a separate game allowing you to carry over content already unlocked. as long as it is priced right and the developers/publishers don't get greedy with the pricing!
    most free demo's are rubbish and completely put me off buying as they are unfinished and glitchy. i have to admit that dead rising 2 case 0 was more appealing than most full xbla offerings tbh, and has put me in the mood to play the original again. :)

grrr typo :/
  • Deleted user 2 September 2010 10:43:43
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Ok then fella, thanks for explaining that to me. I'll be sure and not reply to anyones concerns if it falls ever so slightly out of the threads initial subject matter.

What is your problem? I addressed your almost snide reply to the initial posts by pointing out that only works if you have one particular system where your suggestion would only work if they released the demo as an xbla game anyway. There's little or no nope of playing a demo of a demo on PC or PSN.
  • nickthegun 2 Sep 2010 10:44:14 78,560 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dear Rising is a weird hybrid of a demo and DLC. Its got its own story, its own location and characters so all the assets for them will have been produced separately.

It is legitimately its own game, but its purpose is to show all of the features of the new game.

Its no surprise really because, along with crackdown, I think the demo is still one of the most downloaded demos on XBL so since it was so popular i think they have just expanded on it.

I wouldnt have paid 400msps for a 30 minute chunk of the full game or a multiplayer beta or that kind of thing, but this did enough to convince me it was worth it.
  • AaronTurner 2 Sep 2010 10:47:55 11,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:

What is your problem? I addressed your almost snide reply to the initial posts by pointing out that only works if you have one particular system where your suggestion would only work if they released the demo as an xbla game anyway. There's little or no nope of playing a demo of a demo on PC or PSN.

It was snide of me to point out he could try it for free? Sorry, thanks for pointing this out to me too. I have no problem at all. Genuinely I'd be pleased if you could further point out where I go amiss in other threads too please. I do not wish to ever stray slightly from the subject matter and I need to keep my snideyness in check too.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2010 10:49:15
    Do you understand the issue or not?
  • AaronTurner 2 Sep 2010 10:49:59 11,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Dear Rising is a weird hybrid of a demo and DLC. Its got its own story, its own location and characters so all the assets for them will have been produced separately.

It is legitimately its own game, but its purpose is to show all of the features of the new game.

Its no surprise really because, along with crackdown, I think the demo is still one of the most downloaded demos on XBL so since it was so popular i think they have just expanded on it.

I wouldnt have paid 400msps for a 30 minute chunk of the full game or a multiplayer beta or that kind of thing, but this did enough to convince me it was worth it.

Yes, the thing is that Case Zero wouldn't have ever been in the full game. They aren't asking you to pay for a portion of what would have been in the retail release. Case Zero is genuinely a piece of stand alone DLC that is far bigger than a demo. It's a new concept and I can see why people may think it's a ripoff, but after playing it and completing it I don't feel it was any kind of ripoff.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2010 10:50:02
    /popcorn
  • KnuttinAtoll 2 Sep 2010 10:50:15 7,407 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The sole purpose of a demo for me is to get a rough idea how a game plays, looks and feels. No more than 5-10 minutes playtime necessary. Any longer than that would ruin the full game for me and I probably wouldn't bother buying it in the end if it lasts several hours already in demo form (and especially if I had to pay for it).

I bought GT4 Prologue back in the day and I will never forget that sour aftertaste of paying for what was essentially a big demo.
  • AaronTurner 2 Sep 2010 10:51:27 11,127 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    Do you understand the issue or not?

Yes, I do, thanks very much. Like I say, if you could continue to help me out in any other threads that would be grand. Thanks.
  • Deleted user 2 September 2010 10:53:07
    What a fucking loony!
  • Whizzo 2 Sep 2010 10:53:48 44,793 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Case Zero cost me 2.83 (hurrah for cheap points and Quidco) there's a whole lot of game there for that amount of money, it's not something that all games could probably pull off but as a pre-release DLC and set up for the main event I've got no problems paying that.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.