Dark Souls Page 1473

• quadfather 28 Nov 2018 19:19:42 33,960 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Up the izalith! Down with these naysayers
  • DangerousDave_87 30 Nov 2018 00:35:36 5,639 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Gaping Dragon was suspiciously easy. Beat them on my second attempt without taking damage. Something surely is about to come and kick my backside.
  • challenge_hanukkah 30 Nov 2018 08:10:11 9,996 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got him down on my 2nd attempt too after wiping off the sick.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Nov 2018 09:01:34 5,242 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Funny, really... on my first playthrough of the game, I didn't find Capra Demon particularly hard, but brickwalled for ages on old Gapey.

Seems to be one of the consistent themes with Souls - there's no real consistency to which bosses people find difficult.
  • quadfather 30 Nov 2018 09:13:01 33,960 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I struggle like fuck with the fat demons. Gapey I can do with my eyes closed.

Bonkers.

@DangerousDave_87 have fun in shitetown :D
  • challenge_hanukkah 30 Nov 2018 09:27:38 9,996 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Capra Demon
    Fucking dogs.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Nov 2018 09:42:13 5,242 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think a lot of it's down to build and playstyle. My first ever character was very tanky - both in stats/gear and in how I played it. That made Cappy's dogs pretty easy, as I could just turtle up and sneak in counter-attacks. But when I got to Gapey, my low speed and damage output made it really difficult for me to exploit his recovery periods between attacks (plus it took me a while to realise that I absolutely couldn't straight-up tank him).

On a faster, offense-oriented character, Gapey is a cinch, but Cappy can be a nasty bastard.
  • DangerousDave_87 1 Dec 2018 22:58:28 5,639 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not sure how far through Blighttown I got. I managed to clear the swamp, ascend a giant wheel and cross a tree trunk before falling to my death as my view became obscured by a platform above me. /o\
  • Graxlar_v3 2 Dec 2018 16:50:13 5,492 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 if you are in the swamp area. Then I would look around a bit more as there is a boss you need to beat before you leave.
  • DangerousDave_87 2 Dec 2018 18:34:56 5,639 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'll have another look. I tried exploring as much as I could down there, but didn't see too many areas in which I could survive crossing through the actual swamp.

I might try and reclaim my lost souls first and then head back down to investigate. I accumulated nearly then lost nearly 17k!
  • solipsist 2 Dec 2018 19:28:02 128 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finished DS for the second time yesterday. Seemed easier, think I was lucky getting a black Knight sword very early. I was using the zweihander and smoughs armour by the end. O+S took me ages but the last boss went down first try.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Dec 2018 20:41:50 5,242 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 The poison you get from the swamp is actually pretty slow-acting (compare it to the toxic effect you get from the blow-dart guys, which is vicious). You can survive for ages in the swamp with the odd heal and you definitely need to be looking around more on that bottom level. I think the fact of being poisoned does tend to pile the psychological pressure on a bit for newer players, but the trick is to stay calm and not let it get to you.
  • DangerousDave_87 2 Dec 2018 22:11:50 5,639 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Went for another explore. To the left I found a shield and far to the right I think I see a cave which will likely be my boss. I decided to try and grab my souls first, at the top of the big wheel, but slipped off a tree trunk to my death. Gah!

I'll keep the poison thing in mind. I should have twigged, really. The whole game forces you into playing at this cautious, tentative pace (especially with the bigger and unusual enemies), but once you get stuck in you find it to be somewhat less daunting.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Dec 2018 22:17:24 5,242 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 Yeah, it likes to fuck with your mind. Blightown is a case in point. You'll get a toxic effect from the blowdart fuckers at some point on your way down - guaranteed. The toxic effect is absolutely lethal and it teaches you to be afraid of this kind of thing. Unless you've gone off the beaten path, it may be the first time you've had a DoT effect at this point in your first playthrough.

Then you get to the bottom level and it's impossible to go anywhere without getting poisoned. PANIC! Except... the poison is pretty weak and while you need to keep an eye on it, you don't really need to be trembling in fear over it.
  • Jyzzy-Z 3 Dec 2018 12:05:47 4,176 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I keep thinking to myself that I really miss these games and I wish there was a new one. But it's just occurred to me I've never played Demon's Souls so I'm going to buy a second hand PS3 and buy it.

What's the best PS3 console to buy? I missed that whole generation so not sure if there's a SLim ExTreme V7 that was released.

Going to be expensive for one game but fuck it. It's never going to be remastered.
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Dec 2018 13:42:58 5,492 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Jyzzy-Z i would just buy the cheapest ps3 you can. Its what i did.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Dec 2018 13:51:40 5,242 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Any PS3 should do... I think the slim models are more common/cheaper.

Be warned, though, Demon's Souls will feel massively janky if you're used to the later games in the series. Even compared to the original PS3/360 release of Dark Souls, it has a hell of a lot of rough edges in both technical and gameplay terms.
  • Jyzzy-Z 3 Dec 2018 15:04:52 4,176 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I'm prepared for it. Just fancy playing a fresh souls game.

I've tried Nioh twice recently I just can't stand it.
  • Jyzzy-Z 3 Dec 2018 15:06:02 4,176 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    @Jyzzy-Z i would just buy the cheapest ps3 you can. Its what i did.
    Ok. I imagine it will be sold almost immediately after I've done a couple of rolls. Can't think of anything else I would want to play on it. Maybe some old PS1 games.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Dec 2018 15:19:12 5,242 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jyzzy-Z wrote:
    Yeah I'm prepared for it. Just fancy playing a fresh souls game.

I've tried Nioh twice recently I just can't stand it.
    Nioh is an acquired taste. It took me a long time to click with it. In fact, when I first played it on PS4, I didn't like it at all and dropped it after around 12 hours. Based largely on the urging of a few other forumites, I came back to it when it re-released on PC and got on with it much better there.

Even by Souls standards, it's a strange and unintuitive game. The combat system layers a whole load of different systems on top of each other and you really can't afford to ignore any of them. But learning how to adapt to them takes a lot of practice and needs a lot of muscle memory development. Meanwhile, there are loads of crafting systems which are basically pointless until you get into NG+.

Once I did get into it, I liked it, but it's not a patch on the main Souls series. I'd actually rate The Surge very slightly higher.
  • Jyzzy-Z 3 Dec 2018 15:52:12 4,176 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Both times I got to the first big level, (the village that's on fire) then the boss in the boat. Not long after that I just play something else. I just don't like the combat. Seems really over the top.

I've had a look on ebay and PS3s are going for about 40 second hand so I'll grab one. Looking forward to it!

Did Demon's have any DLC?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Dec 2018 17:07:26 5,242 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Jyzzy-Z No, Demon's has no DLC. Be warned that the online services have been switched off, so unless you do some DNS trickery to connect to a private server, you will be missing the features that depend on them.
  • quadfather 3 Dec 2018 20:39:11 33,960 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Any PS3 should do... I think the slim models are more common/cheaper.

Be warned, though, Demon's Souls will feel massively janky if you're used to the later games in the series. Even compared to the original PS3/360 release of Dark Souls, it has a hell of a lot of rough edges in both technical and gameplay terms.
    As usual, I have to disagree :)

Demon's souls (imo) is the most fluid game in the series if you ask me. Fast as fuck!
  • retro74 3 Dec 2018 20:49:36 2,681 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As usual I agree with quadfather. Demons still plays beautifully

Controls are impeccable, atmosphere is unsurpassed
  • Singularity 5 Dec 2018 11:40:46 3,064 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I see Mugwum is on an SL1 run, and is up to O&S. I can't even fathom getting anywhere without levelling up - I take my hat off to such crazy folk.

I am currently at the bed of chaos (or something like that) boss. I brought out his first big arm thing, then fell in a hole. Not my proudest moment.

I got the hardcover Dark Souls book. It's gorgeous. I'm only skimming it so as not to get any spoilers, but its up there with the Zelda and Last Guardian books.
  • Graxlar_v3 5 Dec 2018 11:42:34 5,492 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    the design works or the strategy guide?

Also, everyone falls in a hole with the bed of chaos. its a bullshit boss :)

Thankfully, its checkpointed so you dont lose your big arm.
  • Graxlar_v3 5 Dec 2018 11:42:34 5,492 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I half agree with Quaddy.

Demons still plays well but DS3 is the smoothest (and probably easiest because of it) game.

Also now the servers are turned off you can get through that damn gate.

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 11:44:08 05-12-2018
  • quadfather 5 Dec 2018 12:42:18 33,960 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rob will finally be happy haha
  • Rivuzu 5 Dec 2018 12:50:20 17,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm still quietly brimming with excitement over Sekiro. It looks like it's gonna tick so many of my boxes.
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Dec 2018 01:32:45 5,639 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Defeated Queelag this evening. I should have done it first time, but little did I know that one attack is neither dodgeable or blockable. It's just instant death if you're in range (And it has a generous reach). Ended up having 10 attempts due to frustration.

Still, it's down. Like the last boss its straight out of Monster Hunter. Just watch the patterns until you think you've seen them all and then get stuck in.

Not sure where I'm going now. There are 4 potential routes open to me from Blighttown, but I suppose I should go back to the Onion Knight first.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.