Dark Souls Page 1474

• AddyJB 7 Jan 2019 10:46:45 1,190 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I read there's a major new mod for the prepare to die edition on pc. I might have to check that out.
  • Singularity 10 Jan 2019 12:53:00 3,064 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So I had a bit of a break over Christmas as this did not seem to be doing much for my festive mood, but I'm back in now, and I hate Bed of Chaos. I hate it I hate it I hate it. They knew it was shit as well, what with the checkpoints.

I've done the two arm orbs, so now it seems to be making it onto the underground branch thing. It's not going terribly well. The biggest shields I have slow me down too much.
  • Singularity 10 Jan 2019 14:14:57 3,064 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I am utterly convinced that this game monitors your forum moaning, and once it detects frustration it makes it easier on you. Bed bug defeated.
  • Singularity 10 Jan 2019 14:39:59 3,064 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Getting released after being stuck in one area reminds you how great this game is. I'm down in the Valley of the Drakes now. I found the dragon that looks like it's dead. But of course it isn't. Managed to pick up the equipment there, but will be heading back to retrieve my souls after work.

I think I stupidly have put a bit too much into STR as I have a massive dragon tooth club that I was desperate to wang around with abandon, but even with my new muscles it still slows me down too much to be effective.

I can't wait to play this again with a new character after I'm done.
  • retro74 10 Jan 2019 16:25:13 2,681 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been playing it again recently. Created a new character on PS4 and stopped leveling once I got to SL30 so I could use it to help people out

However there is very little activity on PS4, I've only ever seen one or two summon signs myself

Although on one of the occasions I did get summoned the player had a novel way of beating Capra by throwing firebombs over the wall before he went in. Never seen that before
  • Singularity 10 Jan 2019 16:33:37 3,064 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @retro74 The community aspect has largely passed me by (except for on here!) as I've played the vast majority in handheld on trains and stuff. The one time I did use it, the player comment was an evil trick and lead me astray! But I will try and get into wifi a bit more to get the full experience.
  • retro74 12 Jan 2019 22:24:17 2,681 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Singularity Iím not an online gamer but itís the community element that really sets it apart for me

Going back with new builds has been 90% of my time on it. Seeing different things every time

Itís the gift that keeps giving
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Jan 2019 22:53:23 9,478 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not played 2 or 3 so very tempted by that trilogy set that's coming later in the year.

Might have to smarten up from my original DS1 playthrough where I pretty much clobbered my way through the latter half of the game by overleveling, grinding and tanking damage against so many bosses.
  • Singularity 13 Jan 2019 15:35:18 3,064 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gah. Just been doing the DLC things in Darkroot basin, and after rescuing Dusk I had Yes highlighted, but mustíve pressed the cancel button (Iím still getting caught out by that regularly) so sheís buggered off.
  • richarddavies 13 Jan 2019 16:17:27 6,608 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Been playing through it again on the switch. Did okay really ringing the two bells. Then went through the great hollow and hit a wall a bit at ash lake. Just couldn't do the hydra for some reason. Don't have the Lord vessel either so started the long trek back to get to firelink. Going to go to the blacksmith in the parish then thinking of going to sens.

Man this game is hard. Worth it though. Will defo be picking up the trilogy as well. Can't tell you how many hours I've put into the first but never played the sequels.

Oh and I treated myself to the hardback guide from future press when I got the switch version. Pretty good, a lot of info in there. Not sure about the actual guide part itself though. As I'm going through the game there seems to be a lot of missing/slightly wrong bits of info in there.
  • Samildanach 13 Jan 2019 16:58:00 31 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Singularity
    I am pretty sure she comes back. By memory you might need to head to the a place above Anor Londo, before returning and summoning her when in non-hollowed form. Others feel free to correct me if I am remembering wrong.
  • Pipedream 13 Jan 2019 17:27:28 456 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I hadnít played any Dark Souls games before so thought Iíd treat myself to remastered.

The difficulty seems unfair rather than just hard. Like the two gargoyles and the thingy with the dogs in the tight room. When I beat them it felt like luck rather than skill.

To me it feels like a chore rather than fun. Admittedly my game tastes have changed recently but still, I just donít get the love.

Edited by Pipedream at 17:27:44 13-01-2019
  • Singularity 13 Jan 2019 17:30:54 3,064 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Samildanach Ah cool. Iím currently a prisoner in the Dukeís library. Hope I see her again.

Iím now using my +2 dragon tooth club, so I can pretty much one-shot most things Iím currently coming across. I can see why I was given the advice to drop my shield and spear combo!
  • Singularity 15 Jan 2019 14:47:19 3,064 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Managed to F up a convo again - I rescued the Onion knight's daughter from a crystal golum and when she asked if I had seen him I had the Yes option selected but my character responded in the negative. Not sure what's going on with that.

Anyway, that aside this is still the best game ever. I was annoyed to find out that the scaleless boss was guaranteed to kill me. I have two rings of resurrection in my bag of carrying and I can absolutely guarantee I will never use either of them!
  • Overmegasixwave 15 Jan 2019 15:04:21 79 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Samildanach I'm pretty sure if you select no after rescuing Dusk from the golem she is unavailable for the rest of the playthrough.
  • Mr_Sleep 15 Jan 2019 15:44:49 22,214 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Singularity funny thing with that last bit, the first time I played it I was carrying loads of souls and I was very suspicious of the funnelling up the stairs so I put on the appropriate ring and managed to avoid the problem. By that point in the game I was very suspicious of From.
  • Singularity 15 Jan 2019 21:10:43 3,064 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The fucking crystal cave can die in a fucking fire.
  • retro74 15 Jan 2019 21:30:14 2,681 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Singularity :)

Thatís the worst bit of the game for me, itís not that itís hard or anything I just hate the aesthetics
  • retro74 15 Jan 2019 21:32:25 2,681 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Pipedream it was probably skill. Souls games are usually pretty fair and if you die itís your own fault for the most part

When youíve played it a while those fights are a piece of cake
  • Lotos8ter 16 Jan 2019 07:37:45 2,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    Oh and I treated myself to the hardback guide from future press when I got the switch version. Pretty good, a lot of info in there. Not sure about the actual guide part itself though. As I'm going through the game there seems to be a lot of missing/slightly wrong bits of info in there.
    The gameís been heavily patched, so a lot of info in the guide will have changed. Weapon stats & scaling have all been tweaked. Things like Ďcurseí have changed too and more merchants sell the cure; it used to be a nightmare trip to The Ruins for the single npc that could cure it.

Itís still good to have the guide though.
  • Singularity 16 Jan 2019 10:52:54 3,064 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @retro74 I hate the invisible platforms and the snow, and the slants on some of the bridges that slide you off for no reason. Like that bloody branch you had to walk over in Blighttown and getting hit through walls because of bad clipping, it's the only time that the game actually seems unfair. I'm at the boss now, so I'm very happy that it (seemingly) is quite short.
  • quadfather 16 Jan 2019 10:57:38 33,960 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Singularity wrote:
    The fucking crystal cave can die in a fucking fire.
    :D

I have fallen many, many times there :)

How are you getting on with seath?
  • Singularity 16 Jan 2019 12:16:37 3,064 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @quadfather Only tried once. Didn't get very far. I'm trying to attack his tail as I'm hoping I will get another tail weapon to add to my grotesque collection, and he squashed me with his tail. Ironic.
  • quadfather 16 Jan 2019 13:22:31 33,960 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Singularity

You're hitting the crystal before attacking him yeah?

And if you have high curse resist armour that helps
  • Singularity 25 Jan 2019 15:26:54 3,064 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @quadfather I am, yeah. He did it himself the first time, otherwise I might not have realised! I don't have any curse armour. Luckily I have a small stash of purging stones from the walking oysters so I can remove the curse if it gets me.

Him, trekking from the bonfire in the archive each time, and the stupid invisible walkways has got me proper frustrated. So I've buggered off to Vesperia and to see some other stuff here. I will carry on with the DLC, and I remembered that the Stray Demon back at the asylum must be beatable since I did his cousin in the firey area. I owe him at least one death.

I've also reinforced my Estus to +2, and tried going down into the catacombs again. My Dragon Tooth club does one-shot the skeletons, but once they started coming back to 'life' I ran away again. IIRC Seath and the catacombs are the places to get the large souls I'm supposed to be collecting, so maybe if I've levelled up a bit more I will be able to get my revenge on Seath, and figure out the best tactic for the skellys.
  • Samildanach 25 Jan 2019 17:11:58 31 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Singularity
    Yes, Catacombs, New Londo, Darkroot and Asylum redux shouldn't be too bad now. Did you also find a couple of big secret areas in Blight town and Anor Londo?
    The DLC areas are probably the hardest and best left till a bit later. The very dark place beyond the Catacombs is fairly terrifying though.
  • richarddavies 16 Feb 2019 15:55:11 6,608 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished the DLC areas for the first time. Never had it on my first play through. Great area! (And tough)
    Feeling a bit sad now, put 50 hrs in and have basically done everything now. Only thing left to do is kiln of the first flame...
  • Singularity 19 Feb 2019 15:16:02 3,064 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gah. My progress has been slim.

I've killed the Stray Demon back at the Asylum, and got the Peculiar Doll. I guess the Doll was accessible much earlier on and I just missed it.

The Crystal Caves and the Seeth the Scaleless are doing my head in. I think was having a lot of trouble as I was focusing on trying to get the moonlight greatsword, which I just finally got on my last attempt where I had him down to the point where one more hit would kill him, and I got trapped in his crystal breath. I'd been running in so many circles to avoid it, then full health to nothing almost instantly. I was so annoyed.

I hate the run through the Caves - the number of times I've lost my green smear in Seeth's lair to those fucking oysters ...

I have become a bit dependant on my +1 Dragon Tooth club which does 400odd damage in one swing, but obviously leaves me a bit open. One or two-shotting stuff is awesome, and I can't go back to my lesser weapons. Speaking of, I was rather disappointed that the moonlight greatsword seems to have 0 physical attack? I guess it's more magical? Not sure it was worth the number of deaths to Seeth.

Edit: Oh, and I went into the DLC. That first griffin boss is bloody impossible. Was the DLC just that extra mission? I would have been well annoyed to pay for it and not be able to experience any of it!

I will persevere and I still love it, but the game is seriously damaging my calm now, and not in a fun way like earlier.

Edited by Singularity at 15:17:17 19-02-2019
  • Jyzzy-Z 19 Feb 2019 15:19:08 4,176 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Second half syndrome. It mostly shits the bed after Anor Londo.

You'll overcome the niggles. It's worth it.

Keep at it.
  • Graxlar_v3 19 Feb 2019 15:21:45 5,492 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Singularity there is alot past the chimera ALOT.

Lots of fun lore stuff too.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.