The New Asperger's Syndrome Discussion Thread Page 3

• spamdangled 28 Sep 2010 09:32:53 31,761 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @monkeyspasm

Cheers for the support dude. I am genuinely curious though, who's this groovemeister bloke? I gather from comments that he was quite notorious and ended up being banned, am I right?

Plus, to others - I mentioned in the first sentence of the first post that I was venting. Please relax.
  • Deleted user 28 September 2010 09:33:24
    Oh this is why you jumped at me when I called you that name.

Christ, how the hell was I supposed to know?!
  • monkeyspasm 28 Sep 2010 09:34:15 2,965 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well perhaps he shouldn't make a point of shoving his different in everyone's face. - That's what LB's (better worded) post says, no need for the defensive.

Wasn't trying to be defensive, sorry if it came across like that.

It's the whole 'social interaction' thing again though DB. I can't speak for DM, but my son would probably do something similar. A mixture of frustration and difficulties with how best to express it. If posting to random strangers on the internet rather than speaking to someone face to face helps, then why not. It may be easier on an AS forum (there are plenty, but I'm sure DM knows that) than EG though, we're not the most sympathetic bunch!

Not saying you're wrong at all, however, but I can sort of see both sides.
  • spamdangled 28 Sep 2010 09:34:16 31,761 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mcmonkey

When was this?
  • Deleted user 28 September 2010 09:37:06
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @mcmonkey

When was this?

A few weeks ago, it was a throw away comment about your username sounding like something else I think it was a kinnect article where the usual crowd were having a go at it for no apparent reason.
  • spamdangled 28 Sep 2010 09:38:24 31,761 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    half naked pics??????????

O_o
  • Dirtbox 28 Sep 2010 09:38:48 91,187 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • spamdangled 28 Sep 2010 09:39:39 31,761 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mcmonkey

Ah ok, apologies. Must have been particularly defensive that day and took it the wrong way.
  • monkeyspasm 28 Sep 2010 09:41:50 2,965 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, to be fair groove was a knobber, nothing to do with Asperger's. My son's 13 and more mature than that now.

As I said, people like that make it really difficult for people with AS.
  • Deleted user 28 September 2010 09:41:50
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    We had a forumite, a very unpleasant piece of work called groovemeister. He had Asperger's, or so he claimed. Kept bothering his doctorsand rotating them until they found additional things wrong with him, almost certainly spurious. He'dmix these transparent attempts to curry sympathy with posts crowing about all the free time he had to game,the benefits heclaimed, and halfnaked pics of himself, all moobs, ferrets and facial bumfluff.

And then he started on thw whole 'I'll keep changing doctors until one finds something wrong' nastiness with his stepdaughter as well. Not a nice thing to watch in the mix with drunken garbage about how messed up and suicidal and 'I've just had half a boittle of vod and wonder if I should kill myself PLEASE PLEAD WITH ME NOT TO' threads.

A complete fuckbucket, in other words.

Don't forget about the 'HEY GUYS I'M ON COKE RIGHT NOW, COKE, YEAH, COKE, I JUST DID COKE, WOAH' posts. They were great.
  • Dirtbox 28 Sep 2010 09:43:38 91,187 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • heyyo 28 Sep 2010 09:49:07 14,356 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've had a lot of best friends in my time and most of them i've lost to brown smoke and white lines.
  • Deleted user 28 September 2010 09:53:00
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    Coroonb was hilarious. 'I'm better than you because I studied classics, it makes me a superior person'.

He was also fucked in the head.

I loved it when he challenged otto on some obscure latin translation then tried to back it up by going 'I went to a posh university so I know and you don't'.
  • Dirtbox 28 Sep 2010 09:54:56 91,187 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • nickthegun 28 Sep 2010 09:55:53 78,566 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, assburgers is one of those things that has been utterly devalued by the internet.

When someone mentions the term, you instantly think socially awkward goths, reading vampire poetr.
  • Deleted user 28 September 2010 09:57:00
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I liked the part where we found him laterally posting on another forum, whining that we were threatened by his intelligence.

A quick google search shows he's still going
  • monkeyspasm 28 Sep 2010 09:59:32 2,965 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    We were really lucky that James was diagnosed early on (he was 5, I think). It made things a lot easier, whereas you get kids that have been expelled from loads of schools and lost jobs before they find out they have it.

It does drive me mad sometimes - like when I say 'It's half eight', and James will immediately say 'actually it's 8:28' or something - but because we were lucky to get an early diagnosis things aren't as bad as they could have been.

For every challenging moment there are a ton of laughs, too, wouldn't change him for the world.

Best of luck DM, hope things get sorted mate.
  • heyyo 28 Sep 2010 10:00:29 14,356 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Did he go under the name of "Octopus" as well on here? Strange guy that.
  • MetalDog 28 Sep 2010 10:02:48 24,076 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Given how often sarcasm is missed on th'internet, I've started wondering if it's a good idea for us to adopt the subtitles way of indicating it. No one need ever be confused again.

I know everyone will think this is a super idea(!)
  • Dirtbox 28 Sep 2010 10:03:21 91,187 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 28 September 2010 10:03:51
    People should just use italics more. Perfect for indicating sarcasm.

It's such a good idea.
  • spamdangled 28 Sep 2010 10:10:46 31,761 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @nickthegun

Please don't use the term assburgers. It's really not nice. I'm asking with all due respect and no malice intended. It's just a horrible term that I have been subjected to god knows how many times by bullies and f*ckwits.

@monkeyspasm

I'd argue that, if what you said is true (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), groovemeister did have more serious problems than Asperger's. Whether those are the sort of problems that he would be comfortable with is another thing entirely. Feel sorry for his stepdaughter.

And thanks for your support :-) The bit about the clock being 8:28 made me smile (I'm often that pedantic myself).

It seems that, judging from some of the posts here, I have missed some rich seams of entertainment over the last couple of years by mainly focussing on the EG front page for my comments. I might have to spend some more time lurking in the proper forums.

I've had some good news, at least. My manager is going to look at how to tackle the bullying at work and accepts I should not be made to feel like that in the workplace. She's also going to arrange a meeting with myself and my partner to discuss reasonable adjustments in more depth. So something to be optimistic about :-D
  • spamdangled 28 Sep 2010 10:12:03 31,761 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @meme

I genuinely can't tell if your last post was sarcastic or not!
  • spamdangled 28 Sep 2010 18:37:00 31,761 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Given how often sarcasm is missed on th'internet, I've started wondering if it's a good idea for us to adopt the subtitles way of indicating it.

I generally find a quick ";-)" suffices.

We were really lucky that James was diagnosed early on (he was 5, I think).

Lucky - I didn't get mine till I was 25!
  • Deleted user 28 September 2010 18:47:21
    Groovemeister still posts on here as SG.
  • spamdangled 28 Sep 2010 18:51:21 31,761 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SG? Just that?
  • Deleted user 28 September 2010 18:53:09
    Yeah, I wouldn't recommend talking to him though :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.