Warhammer 40K (with the models and everything) Page 35

• Your-Mother 3 Apr 2021 21:12:25 7,375 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Get a spray primer and whatever regular paints you like, though Iíll do my usual recommendation of contrast paints for super easy tabletop ready painting.

Itís very middle aged these days, at least in the US. 30-40 year olds who grew up with it.
  • Derblington 3 Apr 2021 21:27:22 34,878 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    If youíve got a store in town Iíd be amazed if there arenít groups running for gaming too. Itís always been really loud and hyperactive kids, and adults. Ask the staff and theyíll be able to point you in the right direction. Itís nice if you have a mate thatís will to start up with you, even if you stick to some of the smaller skirmish games instead of the thousand point armies.

I worked in the Kingston store for a short while. Thought it would be fun but the 50% staff discount was basically the replacement for the really low wage they paid at the time.
  • sherpa1984 4 Apr 2021 09:15:51 883 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cheers, guys.
  • Derblington 4 Apr 2021 09:58:30 34,878 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Another thing worth considering if you havenít played before/donít know much about the games - get a starter game played in-store. Theyíll run you through the rules and give you any info you might need to inform you of what game/army could be best suited to you. You should be able to go in and enquire about a suitable time to play. Might be difficult now with Covid restrictions mind.

I havenít played in years, and didnít regularly to be honest, my main interest was in the models and painting.

I think about kicking up Necromunda or Kill-team every now and again.
  • Deleted user 4 April 2021 14:53:26
    I wouldnít buy direct from GW if you can help it you get good discounts from online stores like Wayland games.

For a lot of the tools youíd be better off buying them from a dedicated hobby and craft store as they will be cheaper and better quality than the GW branded stuff.

If you know what army you want to collect you donít have to buy a starter kit but they are good value if you have nothing. If you are buying a starter kit you shouldnít need to buy the rulebook as as a softcover one will be included.

Edited by whatfruits at 14:56:29 04-04-2021
  • Ddanno 5 Apr 2021 01:00:00 1,845 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    whatfruits wrote:
    I wouldnít buy direct from GW if you can help it you get good discounts from online stores like Wayland games.

For a lot of the tools youíd be better off buying them from a dedicated hobby and craft store as they will be cheaper and better quality than the GW branded stuff.

If you know what army you want to collect you donít have to buy a starter kit but they are good value if you have nothing. If you are buying a starter kit you shouldnít need to buy the rulebook as as a softcover one will be included.
    This, Wayland and Element are excellent, and look at their brush/tool ranges while you're there. Do NOT buy GWs brushes. Vallejo and Scale 75 paints are as good as - and often better than - citadel, if for no other reason than they come in dropper bottles as standard.

https://elementgames.co.uk/

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/

Edited by Ddanno at 01:06:29 05-04-2021
  • sherpa1984 5 Apr 2021 15:41:38 883 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Much appreciated, guys. I might wait until the shop can open as Derbs suggested then wander in.

Will take a look at those suggestions for paints and brushes!
  • Knighty 5 Apr 2021 17:59:42 1,285 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I use Goblin Gaming who have always been excellent (for me), just to give another option.

Is there a decent set of relatively inexpensive brushes people can recommend? Iím too useless at cleaning them to bother spending 50 quid on a set of 3, but wouldnít mind one a slight step up on the GW just for a fine brush and medium brush for blocking in colours. Or should I just git gud at not getting paint in the ferrule/drying on the brush while painting?
  • Nemesis 5 Apr 2021 20:22:04 20,051 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Knighty wrote:
    I use Goblin Gaming who have always been excellent (for me), just to give another option.

Is there a decent set of relatively inexpensive brushes people can recommend? Iím too useless at cleaning them to bother spending 50 quid on a set of 3, but wouldnít mind one a slight step up on the GW just for a fine brush and medium brush for blocking in colours. Or should I just git gud at not getting paint in the ferrule/drying on the brush while painting?
    Mrs Nem got me a set of Winsor and Newton Series 7 brushes and they're excellent; I have a bunch of GW brushes for general stuff and the W&N for the detail as the point tends to be a bit more accurate. That being said, I did read the fancy GW brushes are....made by W&N!

Edited by Nemesis at 20:25:16 05-04-2021
  • Nemesis 5 Apr 2021 20:22:18 20,051 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    https://www.craftyarts.co.uk/series-7-kolinsky-sable-4-brushes-gift-box-p11316

Edited by Nemesis at 20:26:34 05-04-2021
  • Knighty 6 Apr 2021 09:22:51 1,285 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That looks reasonable. It says for watercolours, does that matter? I swear Iíve looked at series 7 before and that sets been around the 50 quid mark, might have been a different set or something.

Might have to wait til payday - already spent an upsetting amount this month...Cursed city, piety and pain (direct from GW as it came back into stock, so no discount) not to mention a delivery of mortal Realms. Literally managed to spray, nuln oil and dry bush about 15 necrons this last fortnight, so Iím not even touching the backlog!
  • TechnoHippy 6 Apr 2021 09:28:01 19,011 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Unless you're painting with enamels or oils, you'll be using water based acrylics. I use waterco0lour art brushes and they're fine. As others have said avoid the Citadel tools and brushes.
  • Nemesis 6 Apr 2021 09:44:18 20,051 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Theyíve been fine for > 5 years so far so you should be good!

Remember...donít lick the tip! Itís made from weasel bumhair.
  • Nemesis 6 Apr 2021 09:44:40 20,051 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Oh if you must then ...
  • TechnoHippy 6 Apr 2021 14:55:01 19,011 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The first squad of legionnaires form the first unit of my new Legion of the Damned army - a few mistakes along the way, but hopefully will improve with the next squad 🙂

This isn't going to be a list army so unlikely to see the field of the battle (any time soon at any rate), but is a damn fine excuse to collect and paint some cool forces capable of taking on the most implacable warp taint.

• Your-Mother 6 Apr 2021 15:12:23 7,375 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Didnít realize Cursed City was releasing literally this week when preorders went up. Thought it was still months out. Guess thatís my weekend sorted then.
  • IRWATWO 6 Apr 2021 15:36:13 1,162 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @TechnoHippy nice work dude :)
  • TechnoHippy 6 Apr 2021 16:37:31 19,011 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
  • Flying_Pig 10 Apr 2021 20:10:47 16,908 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Cursed City arrived this afternoon \o/

The box is a bit smaller than I expected (albeit the same sized as Blackstone Fortress), but from a quick rummage through the box, the models look fantastic.

Quick question - does anyone paint their mods pre-assembly? Some of them look like they'd be extremely fiddly to paint once fully built with cloaks etc getting in the way. Wondering whether I should give it a try..?
  • ZuluHero 10 Apr 2021 20:16:10 10,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Some people part assemble and paint the fiddly bits still on the sprue.

I'm a shit painter, but I like the plain plastic look.

I'm really tempted by cursed City, I love the Bloodborne feel. I still have the original WHQ. A friend of mine got it, we played BSF together and loved it, so I'm sure we will play it soon (when we can get together in person again)
  • Your-Mother 10 Apr 2021 20:26:43 7,375 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Painting on the sprue can be problematic - painting areas that need to be glued weaken the bond and stop some plastic cements from even working, and touch-ups after assembly can go spectacularly wrong. Plus it makes removing mould lines extremely challenging.

Best way is to remove from sprue and then tac it to a wine cork or something if itís a complex part or something that gets hard to reach after assembly, or even dry fit then paint, so youíre not painting over glued areas. But ultimately you do you and if itís tabletop ready then itís all good either way.

Picking up my cursed city later today, woo.
  • ZuluHero 10 Apr 2021 20:30:11 10,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sounds like better advice. Showing how rubbish I am.

Where did you get it from? My usual places are out of stock. I'm half tempted to phone my local GW and see if they can save me a copy when they all reopen on Monday.
  • Ddanno 10 Apr 2021 20:56:52 1,845 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah don't paint on the sprue. Cut almost any part off of any sprue, then clean it up and you'll see why. If it has a base just blu tack it to an empty herb jar or something. For fiddly bits and parts I cut the point off of a cocktail stick and blu tack it to the bit that will get glued to the rest of the model. Disposable chopsticks are ok for bigger bits but a paint stand with clamps can be better
  • Knighty 10 Apr 2021 21:32:50 1,285 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I look forward to painting my cursed city models sometime around 2023, Iíve only assembled the Blackstone fortress ones so far! Something something Ďgonna invest in contrast for thisí.

On the other hand, I have just bought 2 rosemary and co brushes and a red grass games wet palette. The brushes linked above were out of stock and looking elsewhere that set was double the price! Hoping to Ďimprove my hobbyí with what Iím getting.
  • Flying_Pig 10 Apr 2021 22:03:54 16,908 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thanks all. Good point about not wanting to paint over the contact points. I think I'll cut the pieces off the sprue, dry fit them and only leave bits off if they're especially fiddly or would make painting the rest of the model a PITA.

Re: Blackstone Fortress - we've not finished it yet but my son and I have loved the campaign and I've mostly enjoyed painting the models. They're all certainly a lot more interesting to paint than Space Marines :)
  • Your-Mother 11 Apr 2021 18:49:57 7,375 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cursed City is...not good so far. I like the overall structure and the more open world-ish feel to it (balancing fear and influence), instead of just ďdungeon crawl to the endĒ, buuuuut theyíve streamlined a lot from Blackstone Fortress and this has had the knock on effect of making the game absolutely piss easy and drawn out. Example - all enemies, bar one boss, have melee only, so almost all of them behave pretty much the same way - spawn and move towards you. With Hunts, where you have to defeat a certain number of champions, enemies spawn at the furthest spawn point, and the encounter may not even include the champions you need to help clear the scenario. So the entire mission is a tedious ďwalk over half the map, clear out easy enemies, rinse and repeatĒ until youíve cleared out the requisite champions. Itís taken the worst stuff of Blackstone Fortress and hinged the entire game around it. Also feels like production was extremely rushed, probably to align with the rest of the vampire/undead stuff GW are doing at the moment.

Still early days and could be improved by expansions but so far Iím shockingly disappointed.
  • Your-Mother 11 Apr 2021 18:53:55 7,375 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also - switching from individual enemy activation (roll a die for each individual model for behavior) to whole mob activation (roll a die for the whole mob) makes it feel far less tactical and gives you far less to react to, especially on top of the melee only enemies. I donít fully understand why they made that rule change.
  • Flying_Pig 11 Apr 2021 19:34:46 16,908 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Also - switching from individual enemy activation (roll a die for each individual model for behavior) to whole mob activation (roll a die for the whole mob) makes it feel far less tactical and gives you far less to react to, especially on top of the melee only enemies. I donít fully understand why they made that rule change.
    I assume it's to streamline the game even more than BF...? You could always revert to individual activation if you wanted to? It occasionally made for some amusing senarios in BF :)
  • Your-Mother 11 Apr 2021 19:49:53 7,375 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, might houserule it. But itís a good example of where theyíve streamlined it by removing tactical choice. Like cover is gone too so thereís no real need for tactical movement beyond kiting. Though arguably with basically no ranged enemies I guess cover wouldnít be needed anyway.
  • ResidentKnievel 11 Apr 2021 21:53:42 7,569 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Disappointing to hear that.

I know GW don't like Death factions to have ranged models, but it would have been cool if they introduced some crazed and down-trodden mortal thralls wielding bows and whatnot as part of this set. Or even just some low tier enemy wizards.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 21:54:38 11-04-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.