Warhammer 40K (with the models and everything) Page 36

• StarchildHypocrethes 11 Apr 2021 22:10:34 33,763 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I did think it looked quite pared back in the previews so didn't bother pre-ordering. Shame.
  • Your-Mother 11 Apr 2021 22:30:52 7,375 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    On the plus side the models are fantastic, probably the best they’ve ever made.
  • ZuluHero 12 Apr 2021 00:20:37 10,150 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I love the Bloodborne vibe.
  • Your-Mother 12 Apr 2021 04:13:16 7,375 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Further thoughts - Scavenge and Deliverance missions are decent. Deliverance is a nice unique twist and adds something other than “murder everything”. Hunt missions are, at least at low levels, pretty boring. I was clearing out every enemy spawn every turn, which combined with the spawns being furthest away, and often taking at least two turns to be effective (when a group is cleared, their encounter card is only removed at the next activation, which is a spawn only, not a spawn and activate), so most of my dice usage was ambling around the board. I think this can be fixed with expansions adding better enemies, but it almost feels broken with how unchallenging and, frankly, tedious they are. Ranged characters are severely OP as well - there’s no actual ranged distance involved, so if they are either next to or in an area with an enemy, they can hit them.

It’s not a bad game by any means, but it’s definitely a huge step down from Blackstone Fortress, there’s none of the grand scale and epic feeling, and so far not really any challenge (not that BSF was particularly difficult either). A little bit more of a narrative though, so it has that going for it. Still holding out hope for expansions to flesh it out.
  • Your-Mother 15 Apr 2021 19:26:18 7,375 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yikes. Cursed City was a super limited run, even by GW standards. As in, the completely sold out first print run is apparently it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1382719301975732229
  • Flying_Pig 15 Apr 2021 20:32:23 16,908 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Yikes. Cursed City was a super limited run, even by GW standards. As in, the completely sold out first print run is apparently it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1382719301975732229
    WTF - that's crazy. Surely given the demand GW would move heaven and earth to do another print run!?
  • Your-Mother 15 Apr 2021 20:35:28 7,375 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, or move to print on demand/made to order like Indomitus. Apparently others have received emails directly from GW confirming the same, so it’s not a mistaken tweet.

Personally it’s the lack of print options for the novel that bugs me. That was even more limited than the game itself.
  • bone-on 15 Apr 2021 20:40:56 735 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GW the only company in the world who spend 5 months teasing a product you only have 12hrs to buy. It's a massive piss take that they have said that's it.
  • oldschoolsoviet 15 Apr 2021 21:00:54 6,961 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Seems to be the business model these days, limited runs, FOMO, and small guaranteed profits.

Worse for us, but better than dust gathering in FLGS and eventual returns for them.
  • bone-on 15 Apr 2021 21:09:47 735 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • bone-on 15 Apr 2021 21:09:47 735 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GW lately have been atrocious. The limited FOMO runs and putting new models behind a paywall in an expensive box set.

As a company lately they have completely shat all over the consumer.

Edited by bone-on at 21:10:28 15-04-2021
  • Flying_Pig 15 Apr 2021 21:19:27 16,908 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    But surely a bulk of the cost for a set like CC is in designing the models, game boards and rule books etc. The cost of actually mass producing the sets can't be that costly so it seems bizarre that they've done such a limited run.

Especially as they've been teasing it for months!
  • Zyrr 15 Apr 2021 21:45:10 525 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's strange about this particular release compared to the usual FOMO box launches is that the Community team didn't seem to be aware that it was strictly limited. Right up until this week they've been assuring people on social media that Cursed City would see a restock, then they've suddenly started deleting all these conversations in the last 24 hours and the game has been completely removed from GW's own website.

Interestingly, this information seems to be directly in opposition to what sales reps had been telling 3rd party shops for weeks. I've seen at least two retailers now claiming they were warned well in advance that a restock wasn't happening.

It just seems so weird that they've replaced Blackstone Fortress (where the core box was available for around 2 years) with Cursed City, hyped the tits off it and then immediately pulled the plug after the first print run.

I wonder if the push to ramp up for the inevitable AoS v.3 box release this summer has meant they've had to delay a second Cursed City run for a few months?

Glad I picked up a copy at launch, but feeling slightly guilty now that I haven't even it touched it yet!
  • Your-Mother 15 Apr 2021 21:45:19 7,375 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My guess is, as I’ve previously mentioned, that this was kind of rushed out to serve as a promotion model for their new undead/vampire focus. The models are fantastic but the rest of the production is very underwhelming. Generic looking tiles and very little in the way of personality on anything in the game design itself (quests etc), especially compared to BSF. The crises especially are a huge letdown, little more then a paragraph or two of generic “something happened with zombies” stuff rather than anything genuinely flavorful.
  • ResidentKnievel 15 Apr 2021 22:05:37 7,570 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm a bit gutted, the models are fantastic and was looking forward to painting them.

Ah well, saves me a bit of money.
  • Deleted user 15 April 2021 22:55:14
    Some cynical part of me thinks this is all a ploy and come autumn they will announce a second "for realsies this time" limited run and maake huge profits for christmas. That's with my most cynical hat on.
  • Your-Mother 17 Apr 2021 22:03:37 7,375 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Managed to find a new sealed copy of Silver Tower at my local store. They just had a stock inventory and found it buried away, and I snagged it. Even used copies are going for twice as much as what I paid for it, so quite happy.
  • dwaynecampb3 17 Apr 2021 22:33:18 1 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    Hello! Everybody come on watch this battle report
    https://tii.ai/battle
  • Deleted user 18 April 2021 07:21:06
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Managed to find a new sealed copy of Silver Tower at my local store. They just had a stock inventory and found it buried away, and I snagged it. Even used copies are going for twice as much as what I paid for it, so quite happy.
    You jammy bastard. You’re not going to sell it though are you your just going to smell it’s shrink wrap and rub your Willy on it.
  • TechnoHippy 26 Apr 2021 14:09:37 19,011 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    A squad of Ork Boyz for a Freebooterz Gang. They're old GW plastics, so a bit light on detail, but still a fun paint.

I've decided to build some small opponent forces alongside the Legion of the Damned/Imperial force and set up a table in my new hobby room when its built.

Edited by TechnoHippy at 18:02:24 26-04-2021
  • Your-Mother 26 Apr 2021 16:22:25 7,375 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I saw someone on Reddit using the Arkanaut Ironclad as some nice table fluff for Cursed City. Now I’ve gone down the rabbit hole and have a complete Kharadron army waiting to be painted. Get in the queue, boys.
  • TechnoHippy 27 Apr 2021 12:58:32 19,011 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah - I'm trying to restrict myself by buying a new batch to paint once I've painted the current one, as I've already developed a backlog :-) Unfortunately the Legion of the Damned units require ebay scouring to find the figures.

Speaking of which - a second squad reports for duty.

• IRWATWO 27 Apr 2021 15:09:33 1,162 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Macro close ups and more lighting required. But very nice :) I'd personally do a matt varnish on the base edges so they aren't so shiny, bit distracting.
  • Derblington 27 Apr 2021 15:27:21 34,878 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just stumbled across Thunderwulfen on instagram, who is creating his own SM chapter, the Soul Haunters. They look ridiculous. So good.

Now I’m tempted to do something similar.
  • Your-Mother 27 Apr 2021 15:35:40 7,375 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    IRWATWO wrote:
    Macro close ups and more lighting required. But very nice :) I'd personally do a matt varnish on the base edges so they aren't so shiny, bit distracting.
    Agreed, though I really like the base work on top - what did you use for that, TH? Doesn’t look like any of the Citadel technicals or standard flock/rocks to my amateur eye.

Edited by Your-Mother at 15:36:22 27-04-2021
  • TechnoHippy 27 Apr 2021 15:55:36 19,011 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    IRWATWO wrote:
    I'm not really set up for decent photography, but I do keep meaning to pick up some matt varnish.
  • Your-Mother 28 Apr 2021 20:15:27 7,375 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So this may be just rumor mill rumblings but the guy at my local GW store said next week’s big announcement will be that AoS 3.0 will be a return to Fantasy Battle. Interesting.
  • Zyrr 28 Apr 2021 20:38:54 525 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They already announced a new Fantasy Battle last year called The Old World - square bases and everything. Back then though they said not to expect any sign of a release for at least 3 years, as it was still in early development. I mean, it would be a *very* big surprise if this summer's rumoured launch of AoS 3 was that they just binned all the new factions and went back to the old ones on square bases, not gonna lie! :D

Here's a link to the original announcement (turns out it was actually 2019):

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/15/old-world-new-warhammer/

Other rumour I'm hearing is a relaunch of 30k, but with the main GW site taking over the line instead of Forgeworld. Would be amazing to see a new Horus Heresy starter set in plastic, as it's been years since Betrayal at Calth and Burning of Prospero.

Edited by Zyrr at 20:41:53 28-04-2021
  • Your-Mother 28 Apr 2021 21:21:14 7,375 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh nice, he must have got them mixed up then. Some Fantasy Battle stuff in the future would be nice though. I miss my Doom Diver/Shaman heavy goblin army from when I was a kid. Turn the opponent’s heavy hitters into frogs and doom dive onto their head.
  • Zyrr 8 May 2021 05:51:41 525 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Your-Mother There's a rumour doing the rounds about today's super secret reveal that, if true, would actually make a lot of sense given what the guy you know had told you.

It seems today's AoS 3 announcement will be for a new starter set with Orruks Vs Cities of Sigmar, which would pretty much be a direct call back to Warhammer Fantasy Battle 6th Edition, which launched with Orcs Vs Empire. As it stands, the current Cities of Sigmar range is partly just reused Empire kits from the WHFB days.

It could be completely false, but this rumour keeps popping up the last few days and the more I think about what the guy at your store said, I'm inclined to think that this is probably true and GW are trying to recapture the feel of WHFB to draw in some of the players they lost when they killed it for AoS.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.