Warhammer 40K (with the models and everything) Page 23

• disusedgenius 23 Oct 2015 16:53:37 10,414 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep! People do like their stocky little metal things. Especially if they're unpainted and don't need to be stripped down or anything.
  • faux-C 23 Oct 2015 17:15:35 11,204 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Okay so before I ebay anything, I'll list some stuff here in case any of you guys are interested. These are all metal figures.

Lumpin Croops Halfling Archers (12 figures inc 3 command figures)
    Halfling Hotpot and Crew
    Alcatani Fellowship (17 figures inc 3 command figures)
    Sisters of Battle detachment (10 sisters with bolters, 2 heavy weapons troops, 5 seraphim, standard bearer and 2 sister superiors)
  • Navi 29 Apr 2016 13:47:35 346 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Interesting look at the current state of the game.

State of the war

Seems to fit pretty well with what I hear from local players.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 29 Apr 2016 14:10:06 32,409 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    2nd Edition 4 Life!

I'd say that survey mostly fits with the few people I know that still play too, especially the lack of updates and things.
  • Navi 29 Apr 2016 14:29:03 346 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @DFawkes Ah, nothing like getting killed by flying high Gargoyles and running most of the game just to get your objective on the other side....great days. Joking aside, loved 2nd ed, especially for smaller games.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 29 Apr 2016 15:05:16 9,308 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I haven't played 40k since 4th, and I played Tyranids (amongst others, but they were probably my favourite army). Have things changed that much that people think they're a weak army now? I used to strike fear in the hearts of my buddies whenever I whipped them out. Or were they considered massively overpowered in 4th?
  • Navi 29 Apr 2016 16:39:09 346 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh Yeah, Tyranids really can't cut it with the top armies at the moment. During 6th and 7th edition the game has moved to making it easier for shooting armies rather than melee ones (even Orks play better in 7th if you stay at the back and shoot), hence marines, Tau and Eldar being at the top (does also help there stuff is just better for the points than Nids).

I don't think they were overpowered in 4th, but they were definitely one of the top armies and proper scary. I don't play nids but I'd love them to be back at the top again, just to give the game more variety.
  • disusedgenius 29 Apr 2016 16:42:35 10,414 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    At some point I really need to get rid of my old Fantasy stuff. I have a decently sized Skaven army and mixed Chaos force - though I might keep the latter in case GW ever draw me back into things (unlikely now that X-Wing is around, but you never know).
  • foster2007 18 Apr 2017 11:25:03 326 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anybody play age of sigmar? Thoughts?

Quite interested after being sucked into total warhammer!
  • Navi 27 Apr 2017 13:11:10 346 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @foster2007 Age of Sigmar is good fun and does a pretty good job of balancing quick gameplay and depth (although arguably not as tactical as the original warhammer).

That said, it's more of a skirmish level game than warhammer, so it does have a different feel that Total War even though the units are mostly the same.
  • disusedgenius 27 Apr 2017 13:24:46 10,414 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, they completely killed the Warhammer Fantasy unit movement style in Age of Sigmar. If that's your selling point then Kings of War or Runewars are the main ones I can think of, outside of historical stuff.
  • foster2007 27 Apr 2017 13:34:20 326 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    so i've went and bought the stormcast eternal starter set, the minis are quite excellent indeed. easy enough to paint too if you follow the youtube videos that GWS make.
  • Derblington 27 Apr 2017 14:21:42 32,900 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    foster2007 wrote:
    ... the youtube videos that GWS make.
    I didn't know they did this. I've just watched a handful and now i really want to paint some miniatures.
  • DoogieEve 27 Apr 2017 14:31:56 41 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Brand new Space Marines on the way shortly, W40K 8th Edition on the way in June.

But here's an even better line of models (imo) -

http://infinitythegame.com/game.php
  • disusedgenius 27 Apr 2017 14:37:32 10,414 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, Infinity. Why are your parts so spindly and difficult.

Though, for me, I don't think there's anyone close to GW's overall quality. Certainly the lower bar has been improved, but they're still top by some distance.

(though obviously if you like a particular style that counts for a lot)
  • Deleted user 27 April 2017 14:39:22
    Another edition?
  • foster2007 27 Apr 2017 14:39:48 326 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Derblington They are quite handy!
  • DoogieEve 27 Apr 2017 14:48:58 41 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Ah, Infinity. Why are your parts so spindly and difficult.

Though, for me, I don't think there's anyone close to GW's overall quality. Certainly the lower bar has been improved, but they're still top by some distance.

(though obviously if you like a particular style that counts for a lot)
    Pfft - you only have to superglue them 12 to 20 times before they stick :)

Yes, GW plastics really are great now - I think there have been some truly terrible models over recent years (Dreadknight, Taurox, that Khorne big-trak thing) in amongst many more good ones, but in terms of how little clean up is required, how easily they go together, and how easy they are to convert, GW hard to beat.
  • Azazel 27 Apr 2017 15:53:43 1,100 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @disusedgenius 9th age exists exactly for this purpose. It's basically a community developed WFB 9th edition for folks who like their traditional 'wheeling units on square bases' thing.

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/

Edited by Azazel at 15:55:51 27-04-2017
  • Navi 27 Apr 2017 15:56:27 346 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Good old infinity. So many nice models, so few of them I've actually played with (no comment on the models or the system, just never seem to get round to playing the game).

Exciting news about 8th edition 40K though, the changes to statlines and damage becoming simpler is fine by me, anything to make the game faster.

Anyone one thinking of starting the game, this is a really good time to start. All the old baggage is going including all the current rulebooks.
  • disusedgenius 27 Apr 2017 15:57:31 10,414 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, 9th Age is pretty much what everyone I know who was into the Fantasy scene have gone into and they all seem pretty happy with it.
  • disusedgenius 27 Apr 2017 15:58:20 10,414 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Navi wrote:
    Anyone one thinking of starting the game, this is a really good time to start. All the old baggage is going including all the current rulebooks.
    I preordered the new not-Necromunda rulebook.

This is fine. Nothing can go wrong here. It's just one little skirmish game.
  • Azazel 27 Apr 2017 16:00:13 1,100 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was debating whether or not to do it, or just to go with Age of Sigmar. I chose the later in the end.

Even though I find the high-fantasy fluff pretty uninspiring compared to the old world, the models are all excellent and I'm primarily interested in painting.

I'm sure I would have felt differently if I had a big WFB collection sitting around.
  • Navi 27 Apr 2017 16:25:42 346 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @disusedgenius Nice. Me too (despite not getting one of the box sets....grumble, grumble, grumble).

And yeah, it'll only be one squad of models. It's certainly not a gateway drug or anything.....
  • disusedgenius 27 Apr 2017 16:34:18 10,414 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Navi wrote:
    @disusedgenius Nice. Me too (despite not getting one of the box sets....grumble, grumble, grumble).
    Luckily my club has a whole bunch of this stuff leftover from a Judge Dredd campaign. Really good for Kill Team and this new game.

I even have a bunch of half finished models left over from a when I was trying to do a 'Chaos Space Marines lost in the warp' conversion for Fantasy. Hopefully that should see me set for a bit.
  • hypoBla5t 7 May 2017 11:59:21 2,289 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not had any Warhammer stuff since my very casual interest when I was knee-high to a grasshopper and I was into Eldar in 40k.

Been playing some Vermintide recently so think I'm gonna jump back in, the normal Warhammer has really changed hasn't it? Bought a guide, some basic gear and paints and some easy figures to make. Can't wait.
  • GuiltySpark 7 May 2017 12:12:37 6,779 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It changed massively recently, much to peoples' chagrin, as it was seeing as a dumbing down.

I'm curious about 8th Edition 40k, but board games like Descent and X- Wing take up any spare time I really have.
  • RichieTenenbaum 7 May 2017 12:12:43 2,774 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GW really need to look at what Fantasy Flight did with X Wing. Instead of big rule books, a card with the mini with all the rules on. Maybe introduce custom dice to make the combat a little more satisfying.
  • RichieTenenbaum 7 May 2017 12:14:35 2,774 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    It changed massively recently, much to peoples' chagrin, as it was seeing as a dumbing down.

I'm curious about 8th Edition 40k, but board games like Descent and X- Wing take up any spare time I really have.
    Yeah, I think Fantasy Flight have really jumped into the space GW occupied and GW are going to have a real fight on their hands staying alive.

The only time I've bought a model recently was for a DnD campaign. i suppose the in store community puts me off, too
  • GuiltySpark 7 May 2017 12:14:48 6,779 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Have a nosy at Runewars. That's a mixture of multiple X- Wing dials and tray movement as far as I'm aware.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.