Warhammer 40K (with the models and everything) Page 24

• disusedgenius 7 May 2017 12:48:28 10,372 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    GW really need to look at what Fantasy Flight did with X Wing. Instead of big rule books, a card with the mini with all the rules on. Maybe introduce custom dice to make the combat a little more satisfying.
    That's kinda what they're doing or in the middle of doing with impending new version of 40k - new, free rules, unit cards/sheets that come in the box etc. From everything I've read their Shadowfall rules (i.e. the new Necromunda) play very well.

Not to mention that X-Wing is getting less and less beginner friendly as the releases keep coming, adding cool new stuff that also adds complexity into the game.
  • hypoBla5t 11 May 2017 07:36:49 2,289 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone got any noob tips for glueing models together? Would you run the glue all the way along the surface to glue or put a few dabs? How long would you leave it to dry?

Cheers.
  • Ddanno 11 May 2017 08:21:33 1,516 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @hypoBla5t It's almost 20 years since I built anything, so don't assume this is relevant:

For the metal models, use a dot of superglue on one of the surfaces. Hold the pieces together for 3 seconds and it'll be good to go.

For plastics, polystyrene cement is the way to go. It literally melts the plastic (but only a teeny bit) so that it bonds/welds itself together. Use a really thin layer over the entirety of both surfaces and give it 5-10 seconds to get to work before holding them together. It takes longer to dry out - about and hour if memory serves, but you should be able to carry on building the same model with care without waiting ages between each piece.
  • Derblington 11 May 2017 09:08:56 32,706 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm super tempted to jump into GWS again. Maybe both games.
  • AwesomeWells 11 May 2017 09:21:31 1,119 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    On a related note, this is REALLY good:

• Anthony_UK 26 Jun 2017 23:47:59 2,978 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm 36 now and I used to play 40k & Man O War back in my early teens. A few times a year a may wander in a store for a quick look around, over the weekend I did the same after noticing the brand new 40k is out.

I don't know how they train those store managers or what they feed them, but they are absolutely lethal salesmen! Wandered in for a quick look, left with a copy of white dwarf, space marines, paint and brushes... Walked out of the store wandering what the hell just happened!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Jul 2018 13:27:20 32,735 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So this new version of Kill Team looks a bit swish, eh.
  • Zyrr 9 Jul 2018 13:31:51 424 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, definitely. Glad I resisted getting the AoS2 Soul Wars box last month, which was mainly to keep some money to one side for the Adeptus Titanicus reboot in August, but it looks like it's all going to go on Kill Team instead :)
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Jul 2018 13:33:50 32,735 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, same. I've bought a few models here and there over the years, but never actually played it. This modular skirmish approach looks pretty easy / cheap-ish to get into though.
  • Zyrr 9 Jul 2018 13:55:13 424 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Shadespire team worked on it, so I'm expecting the base rules to be pretty much 40k 8th edition, but with the addition of alternate activations (ie players take turns using only one model at a time, rather than a player's turn being for the whole army like 40k/AoS) and deck building for the purposes of micro managing abilities for individual units within each team.
  • Gregolution 9 Jul 2018 14:21:50 9,885 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was big into 40k etc when I was young and recently tried Shadespire but didn't agree with me. They're still incredibly dice heavy games and SS is worse than most since there are so few activations / rolls per game the rolls are far too important.

I imagine Kill Team will be quite similar unfortunately.

GW's best game is still Blood Bowl IMO.
  • Derblington 9 Jul 2018 14:21:59 32,706 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, I'm looking at Kill Team too.

I miss painting the models but I don't really have the desire for X thousand point armies.
  • Deleted user 9 July 2018 14:31:20
    I love the new necromunda there is a big uk community who play it on Tabletop simulator for those with little cash and few social skills.
  • Zyrr 9 Jul 2018 14:37:30 424 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blood Bowl is great, particularly as it hasn't really changed all that much in over 30 years.

I played 40k, Adeptus Titanicus, Space Hulk and Blood Bowl back in the 80's/early 90's then sold all my stuff in my late teens. Took an interest when 40k 8th edition launched last year, mainly because of the massive effort to simplify and streamline the rules (which were insanely overcomplicated in 2nd edition, so I dread to think what they'd mutated into by 7th!).

Have since managed to assemble 3 to 4 modestly sized armies and just play casual, narrative-focussed games. Still lots of painting to get done, but tend to stick on a battle report in the background to give me some inspiration as I paint. I finding it really relaxing and now regret abandoning the hobby for 25 years! :)

Oh yeah, Necromunda is great, too! Especially if you play a campaign and 'level-up' your surviving gangers between games.

Edited by Zyrr at 14:39:19 09-07-2018
  • Zyrr 9 Jul 2018 14:42:52 424 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Incidentally, the Devs that made the Mordheim video game are working on a Necromunda one at the moment.
  • Deleted user 9 July 2018 14:43:14
    If you ever fancy playing another tabletop sports game I cannot recommend Mantic's Dreadball enough. Its essentially Blood Bowl Speedball. It's not hard to get a board, rule book and cards off ebay and use your blood bowl mins as proxy.

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/dreadball/getting-started/product/dreadball-2nd-edition-boxed-game.html

Edited by whatfruitlivesagain at 14:44:12 09-07-2018
  • Zyrr 9 Jul 2018 14:52:20 424 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been eyeing up Dreadball for ages. Love the variety of the teams.

You may have just perusaded me to add a new game to the rotation! :)
  • Gregolution 9 Jul 2018 14:53:54 9,885 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Having got really into board games in the last 2 years I just feel there are so many much better alternatives to dice and GW still makes very dice heavy games.

At least they're doing well and trying some new stuff but I wish they'd be a bit more adventurous with the rules.

Their minis are still the best though. Amazing.
  • disusedgenius 9 Jul 2018 14:58:49 10,372 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You say that, but after a few years of being knee deep in FFG designed games I do sometimes get a bit wistful for some simple dice!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Jul 2018 14:59:31 32,735 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I like chucking dice.
  • Zyrr 9 Jul 2018 15:04:03 424 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, 40k in particular is massively dice heavy - large and/or rapid-firing units can drop 40+ dice rolls at a time! I mean, it's kind of fun to scoop up that many dice and throw them over the table surface, but that over reliance on dice means that the game is mainly about stacking buffs to increase the chances of the averages being in your favour.

Command points and Strategems have added a much needed tactical layer, though. I'm hoping Kill Team keeps this aspect, with different factions having their own specific Strategems they can play.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Jul 2018 15:06:36 32,735 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, looking at the write-ups on the Warhammer community site, there are command points and each faction also has different Tactics skills available to use.
  • McGeeza 9 Jul 2018 15:07:28 1,994 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Zyrr It does indeed. Command Points and Strategems (now called Tactics) are in. Check out the Warhammer Community site.
  • Gregolution 9 Jul 2018 15:10:53 9,885 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So I haven't really read that much but does it look like it will tactically be a better game than Shadespire?

I'm about to put my Shadespire collection up for sale anyway. Maybe I'll give GW another chance with this.
  • McGeeza 9 Jul 2018 15:27:07 1,994 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It'll be closer to 40k rules than hex based like Shadespire. There will still be lots of dice rolling though so if that's not your thing I doubt this will convince you.

Shorter play time, smaller game area, and affordable teams appeals to me. Although i've got a decent 40k collection so I only need the rules.

Edited by McGeeza at 15:27:17 09-07-2018
  • disusedgenius 9 Jul 2018 15:28:32 10,372 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It looks like an entirely different beast to Shadespire. Closer to something like Malifaux or Infinity than X-Wing/Imperial Assault/whatever.
  • Gregolution 9 Jul 2018 15:30:24 9,885 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm prepared to play games with dice, I just wish that wasn't the only option for every GW game.

Also I did say I think blood bowl is excellent and that's got plenty of dice.

Mainly my problem with Shadespire is that the dice seem more important in that than any of their other games because you don't roll very often so it doesn't give averages the chance to balance out over the course of a game like they do in Blood Bowl.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Jul 2018 15:30:42 32,735 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The terrain looks proper sexy.

Plus I like the two factions in main box. Not really seen much of them before.
  • Gregolution 9 Jul 2018 15:31:29 9,885 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    It looks like an entirely different beast to Shadespire. Closer to something like Malifaux or Infinity than X-Wing/Imperial Assault/whatever.
    well that's good news.

Got some mates that love Malifaux.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.