Warhammer 40K (with the models and everything) Page 25

• StarchildHypocrethes 9 Jul 2018 15:47:39 33,020 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Orks overview just went up. Like the sound of that Gretchin tactic.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/07/09/kill-team-focus-orks/

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 15:47:53 09-07-2018
  • BigOrkWaaagh 8 Sep 2018 20:40:24 9,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I haven't played 40k since it moved into 5th edition. I bumped into one of the guys I used to play with today and he said if I still had any of my old stuff (as if I'd ever get rid of it!) I should check out Kill Team. Have had a very quick shufty, how viable is it with old 40k models, and will my teams be worth a crap? I have Tyranids, Chaos - including pure Emperor's Children and Thousand Sons (part of the reason I gave up at 5th) - and of of course Orks.
  • oldschoolsoviet 8 Sep 2018 21:24:21 6,811 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Old models will be fine, just the latest revamp of the skirmish ruleset. T.Sons could be a good starter, seen as quite strong, pick up some new Tzengor(?) bird-cultist things to get back in/make some fodder.

Don't play myself, but a lot of jaded old timers and WiP threads on my other forum seem positive, lots of fellas getting behind it. Lots of support from GW too, with new squad/terrain packs being pushed alongside.

Probably take a two-second google to find a rules pdf.
  • ZuluHero 9 Sep 2018 10:45:01 8,926 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Not really related to the current discussions but I recently bought that 40k conquest magazine. I haven't played games workshop stuff for years, I still have boxed copies of Warhammer, 40k, necromunder, Warhammer Quest, Blood Bowl and Gorkkamorka (spelling?) but they haven't seen daylight in a very long time.

The magazine, at least the first one seems like good value; 1.99 for 3 space marines, 3 paints and a brush. Not sure if this is a slippey slope. I'll probably get the next issue at 4.99 for another three miniatures, 3 paints, a terrain sheet, dice and rulers, which isn't as good but still pretty good, so I can learn the rules of an encounter.

Goes up to 8 quid an issue with 80 issues overall which looks like you end up with 2 armies and terrain et al. Quite expensive overall I'd imagine but I definitely think the first 2 issues are worth it if you are remotely interested in GW stuff.

Edited by ZuluHero at 10:45:47 09-09-2018
  • Zyrr 9 Sep 2018 10:59:11 461 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ZuluHero There's a decent breakdown of the predicted savings associated with that Conquest magazine here:

https://vincentknotley.wordpress.com/2018/08/22/warhammer-40000-conquests-rumoured-value/

Seems like good value for what you end up with.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 9 Sep 2018 11:25:25 32,516 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've been heavily considering that. In my previous forays into 40k I would buy a lot of stuff, build it, then never paint or fight with it. It being a regular magazine breaks it down into manageable chunks. Sure, I could just do that with all that old stuff I still have, but I won't :p

A lot seems to have changed since I last read up on anything though. It's nice they seem to be moving the story on after probably a decade of it being largely static.
  • rice_sandwich 9 Sep 2018 11:46:46 6,452 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Check out the YouTube channel Tabletop Minions for a good overview of tabletop wargaming. I don't play that stuff myself but I like watching the videos as the guy is a very good presenter and passionate about his hobby. It seems Kill Team.os the big new thing.
  • ZuluHero 9 Sep 2018 12:26:17 8,926 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Zyrr thanks for that, really useful and interesting. GW prices have gone up a lot in the 20ish years I haven't played! :)
  • McGeeza 9 Sep 2018 16:04:11 2,015 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    GW are smashing it at the moment IMO. The conquest mag issue 1 is stupidly good value. If you pick up 2 copies youíll have a 90 point marine kill team for £4.

The Kill Team starter set is also good value. Comes with a 2-sided board, rules, loads of ruined city terrain and two kill teams for £60 if you shop around online.

Just ordered the Rogue Trader expansion too... so another 33 models to add to the growing queue...
  • KingOfSpain 6 Oct 2019 10:02:44 5,307 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It surprises me that this thread isn't busier. Surely more of us play?

Anyway, I remembered this discussion from last year, and I wondered if people ended up playing Kill Team? I've really got into it this past year, it's great.
  • ResidentKnievel 6 Oct 2019 10:12:08 7,420 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah its pretty good, just about to start a kill team campaign with some friends, I prefer it to playing 40k as 8e has become ridiculous with the amount of rules bloat.

Shame the current kill team starter set is a downgrade to the original one, Genestealers and Ad Mech are far more interesting than Space Marines and Tau at this scale of the game.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 10:14:12 06-10-2019
  • KingOfSpain 6 Oct 2019 10:22:00 5,307 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I started to visit my local geek den as Kill Team came out last year. At the time they all played full 40k almost exclusively, but over time they've all started to switch over to other, smaller game, including Kill Team. It's a great game!

We've got a really good group now. I'm writing up the rules for our first campaign at the moment. Looking to use some of the narrative missions. Some of them seem fun.

Also played in my first tournament yesterday. Finished 3rd, just outside the prizes, but happy with that.
  • McGeeza 6 Oct 2019 13:13:59 2,015 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @KingOfSpain

Congrats!

But they didnít have a prize for 3rd place? :(

Really enjoyed the games Iíve played of Warcry. Apparently the starter set is going OOP soon.

Bought Gaslands Refuelled too for some Mad Max action. Not played yet but it is well regarded.

Maybe we should get the thread title changed to miniature gaming or something similar to broaden the topic a bit?
  • KingOfSpain 6 Oct 2019 15:49:26 5,307 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Unfortunately not, but it was a great day playing a great game, so it was fine.

I've heard good things about War Cry, but I just can't get my head around another game system right now!

Edited by KingOfSpain at 15:49:53 06-10-2019
  • StarchildHypocrethes 20 Nov 2019 20:59:38 33,020 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So these new(ish) contrast paints from GW are pretty amazing.

Had a little test run with some Rebel soldiers from SW Legion that I've never bothered painting as my skills are dubious to say the least. One coat of 3 different paints and they look waaaaaaaay better than anything I could ever have painted normally.

Stuff drys fast too, which means you can get through them relatively quickly as well.

Definitely recommended for any fellow talent-averse tryers.
  • KingOfSpain 20 Nov 2019 23:19:48 5,307 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, I've seen some really well contrast painted minis. I guy I play against down at my local nerd hole has down a whole Sigmar army using them. He's great with the traditional paints but he now paints almost exclusively with contrast.

I've dabbled a little, and I've been happy with the results, but I actually enjoy painting and I like taking my time, so they're not really for me right now.
  • IRWATWO 21 Nov 2019 00:07:32 710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Its the painting bit I enjoy, don't play, but for those whose armies usually just stay grey, I can see the huge advantages in contrasts, easily the best solution for good looking army double quick.

And if GW would say 'We will keep adding paints, but promise to never ever ever change or drop one ever again', I'd switch back from Vallejo, despite the silly pots
  • IRWATWO 15 Dec 2019 09:59:58 710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    To Zyrr, Technohippy, every other GW fan on here, lets see and hear it.

I haven't painted for a year, acute depression from family issues have led to a complete stop. But coming back next year. Have painted over 25 years, about 2000 models I think, many now lost to time / friends kids / fan site swap shop -

GW - 40K, WFB, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic
    Infinity
    Flames of War
    Massive Darkness
    Vanguard Miniatures 6mm not Epic atall honest
    other bits

Anyone interested - www.dakkadakka.com , go to gallery (top left). In search box 'Darkjim'. Returns are all mine. Take a bit of scrolling through. Thoroughly 'tabletop' painter, 6 to 7.5 / 10 type, like big armies ratherc than one offs usually.

Some on this thread under my last id, thegamesthething, but not the newer stuff.

Anyway, enjoy, where possible :) crap photos often, sorry, macro photography a skill in itself, which neither I nor my phone have.

Also, paging Stickman, he can really, really paint :)

Edited by IRWATWO at 10:10:04 15-12-2019
  • Ddanno 15 Dec 2019 10:04:43 1,595 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    IRWATWO wrote:
    To Zyrr, Technohippy, every other GW fan on here, lets see and hear it.

I haven't painted for a year, acute depression from family issues have led to a complete stop. But coming back next year. Have painted over 25 years, about 2000 models I think, many now lost to time / friends kids / fan site swap shop -

GW - 40K, WFB, Battlefleet Gothic, Epic
    Infinity
    Massive Darkness
    Vanguard Miniatures 6mm not Epic atall honest
    other bits

Anyone interested - www.dakkadakka.com, go to gallery (top left). In search box 'Darkjim'. Returns are all mine. Take a bit of scrolling through.

Some on this thread under my last id, thegamesthething, but not the newer stuff.

Anyway, enjoy, where possible :) crap photos often, sorry, macro photography a skill in itself, which neither I nor my phone have.

Also, paging Stickman, he can really paint :)
    Your hyperlink has an unwanted guest.

Love the pink Tau.
  • IRWATWO 15 Dec 2019 10:07:30 710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Ddanno fixed, thank you very much dude, they were for my daughter who dotes on Wotwots, pink and blue also :)
  • IRWATWO 15 Dec 2019 10:08:19 710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    If anyone wants their mind blown, use search functions for the 10/10 stuff :)

Edited by IRWATWO at 10:09:19 15-12-2019
  • TechnoHippy 15 Dec 2019 10:17:05 17,470 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I used to love painting armies and playing 40k, Space Marine and Fantasy Battle. Sadly no longer able to do so.
  • wuntyate 15 Dec 2019 10:24:01 14,926 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @IRWATWO they're cool man.

I've been thinking about getting some 40k models recently. Haven't painted any since my teens. Used to have an awesome 40K Nurgle army. I loved customising regular space marines into chaos marines. And all the gooey rottenness of Nurgle really appealed.
  • IRWATWO 15 Dec 2019 10:36:55 710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @TechnoHippy Again, sorry to hear it. The contrast paints mentioned above do make thjngs a lot easier, really good effect, depends of course on the severity of your condition.

I'm 48, eyesight not as sharp as it was, won't be painting for ever, but going to try again whilst I can.
  • IRWATWO 15 Dec 2019 10:38:20 710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @wuntyate

Thanks mate :) have a look at the latest Nurgle stuff on GW webby if not familiar, freaking amazing now :)
  • bone-on 15 Dec 2019 10:53:19 543 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My advice to anyone starting to paint miniatures is donít buy Citadel paints.

GW drop and change paints so often it can leave you in a bit of a pickle trying to colour match a paint thatís been changed or stopped completely when you are on the middle of painting an army.

When GW dropped the Guilliman Blue glaze that was the final straw for me.

Iím now with Vallejo paints, so much better and reassuring that they donít drop paints or shades at the drop of a hat their paints are here to stay. The cash grab mentality of GW shafts the painter.

I feel sorry for people painting armies in contrast as I can guarantee in a years time the will change or replace them.

Edited by bone-on at 10:53:34 15-12-2019
  • Ddanno 15 Dec 2019 11:04:07 1,595 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @IRWATWO they're cool man.

I've been thinking about getting some 40k models recently. Haven't painted any since my teens. Used to have an awesome 40K Nurgle army. I loved customising regular space marines into chaos marines. And all the gooey rottenness of Nurgle really appealed.
    I'm really really tempted by the Killteam and 40k starter boxes, but I'm trying hard not to acquire any more stuff and GW is the slipperiest of slippery slopes. One starter box would lead to three whole armies within a year, then I'd start to branch into Age of Sigmar or something
  • oldschoolsoviet 15 Dec 2019 11:05:14 6,811 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Still dabble in kitbashing and converting, and an aversion to painting like most. It's more the physical effects of sitting hunched for hours at this age that's most off-putting these days.

Save myself for the annual ETL painting contest on the Bolter & Chainsword, fun and motivating as it's a group effort per race, and I churn out some stuff. Thread below was this year, a close contest between the smaller factions that was neck and neck all the way until the final week.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/356316-tyranids-outpost/
  • Jono62 15 Dec 2019 12:21:52 25,346 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @KingOfSpain You should showcase the ones you have done recently.
  • KingOfSpain 15 Dec 2019 12:31:56 5,307 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    @KingOfSpain You should showcase the ones you have done recently.
    I don't have the images stored anywhere online, but I'll link to my Tweets.

I'm particularly happy with my recent Nurgle
    Blood Bowl team. Taken me ages to get the stripes right.

Last week I also magnetised and painted this fat bastard.

I also added a old school Warboss to my Death Skulls Kill Team.

They're nowhere near the level of quality that you see posted by professions, I've only been doing it for around 18 months, but I'm mostly happy with them.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.