Warhammer 40K (with the models and everything) Page 26

• TechnoHippy 15 Dec 2019 12:35:41 19,124 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @IRWATWO It's the holding of things with any precision I struggle with, so much so I had to abandon my model railway layout and do a lego one instead - not that I've done much of that for a while.
  • KingOfSpain 15 Dec 2019 12:44:28 5,339 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:
    @KingOfSpain You should showcase the ones you have done recently.
    I don't have the images stored anywhere online, but I'll link to my Tweets.

I'm particularly happy with my recent Nurgle
    Blood Bowl team. Taken me ages to get the stripes right.

Last week I also magnetised and painted this fat bastard.

I also added a old school Warboss to my Death Skulls Kill Team.

They're nowhere near the level of quality that you see posted by professions, I've only been doing it for around 18 months, but I'm mostly happy with them.
    Oh, and one more just to show I'm not totally immune to painting cool
    Space Marines.
  • smoothpete 15 Dec 2019 14:26:22 37,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I assume you guys have seen the Astartes animation series but in case not, here you go. All made by one guy!

Part 1 of 4 (part 5 coming soon)

https://youtu.be/g-MteECxZUY

They’re really short and fucking awesome

Edited by smoothpete at 14:28:57 15-12-2019
  • Gunzberg 15 Dec 2019 15:02:59 2,908 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Omg, thanks for the link. Amazing stuff!
  • IRWATWO 15 Dec 2019 15:22:23 1,208 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wow how, so much W1N :)

Love it all, the Genestealers, Nurgle Blood Bowl, Warboss I have also painted half as well :)

Great to see, the time and attention to detail is what I love most, followed by the awesome colour schemes :)

Right, TechnoHippy, Geedubs do now do model holders that are vvvv popular, might be cock-all use but I'm just going to find a link ....

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Painting-Handle-2017

These things. Maybe worth a punt? Obviously if holding brush a problem, no good, thought worth a try. Plastic model at least light and solid compared to mechanical intricacy of model train?

Those vids are great. I have the Ultramarines film too, which despite stellar voice cast, is .... less great.

Thanks for showing, all :)

Edited by IRWATWO at 15:59:02 15-12-2019
  • KingOfSpain 15 Dec 2019 15:33:31 5,339 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've got a GW paint handle. Really useful when painting that one special figure, when you're spending loads of time on one mini.

I generally paint in batches though so I don't bother swapping the figures on and off the handle unless I'm doing fine detail work.
  • TechnoHippy 7 Mar 2020 19:12:54 19,124 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    One for 40k (well technically 30k) fans - a real labour of love fan film. The dialogue is a little underwhelming, but the overall atmosphere is spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9wV2sGlXjY
  • Carlo 22 Mar 2020 22:08:50 21,735 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hey guys. Are any of you using contrast paints? I just ordered a few to do Death Guard from the Dark Imperium set (I'm not enjoying painting them as much as I did the marines).

Has anyone else painted using them? What undercoat did you use? I use Humbrol usually as I like the finish I get from it, but wondering what anyone else is using.
  • TechnoHippy 23 Mar 2020 17:03:37 19,124 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Not painted in years so haven't tried them, I remember somebody posting that using pearl, or off white is better than pure white for the primer for a subtler end result.
  • Your-Mother 23 Mar 2020 17:58:16 7,660 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I’m no golden demon recipient, but contrast paints are amazing for speed painting a shitload of grunts. That plus a quick shade varnish + matte touchups means I can churn out decent looking (remembering the three foot rule) figures in bulk in about an hour, and spend more time on the fancy special/unique models with traditional painting.
  • ResidentKnievel 23 Mar 2020 18:48:37 7,591 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Contrast are a revelation for painting and shading white and yellow, turns a nightmare in to an easy job. A smooth coat of Wraithbone Spray, then Apothecary White contrast over the top looks decent on marines and takes minutes.

They aren't so good for huge flat surfaces like on tanks and they can look a bit chalky, but for marine armour and fleshy bits they save a tonne of time while often giving a better result.
  • Carlo 24 Mar 2020 20:56:08 21,735 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sorry I didn't reply soon, but thanks guys for the replies.

I've ordered some more matt white undercoat.

So I see Wrathbone is a little less white than what I used, adn you also mentioned off-white being better. I might pick up a can of that also. I have a grey but I think it's too dark and not the beige tint you get.

I might have a look at what finishes look like.

thanks guys
  • DFawkes 28 May 2020 11:59:10 32,752 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I imagine everyone has other forums they discuss such things give how quiet this thread it, but for those not aware 9th edition has been formally announced. There's some info out there but one of the main things they are saying is current codices and the current Psychic Awakening books will all still be valid. Big focus on a Necron overhaul in regards to both lore and models. An official app will be released, and any new physical codex will unlock the digital one in the app (I assume via a code or something). I can't see them making much massive changes if they're saying old codices work but there's a lot they could tweak that might result in big changes. Just like now, the core rules will be free so we'll be able to see for ourselves.

I've finished collecting the Conquest partwork. I got it with the best of intentions, thinking I would build/paint stuff issue by issue and have it as an ongoing project for the 2 years it would run. What actually happened is I have multiple boxes of unpainted, unassembled miniatures, maybe 12 issues worth of models built so I could at least play small games, and 3 models base coated. When the mood takes me I'll have plenty to do! I have also bought the core Rulebook, and codices for the 2 armies.

The Games Workshop webstore has given notice of upcoming price increases on the 1st of June - Article here with a link to the list of products with imminent price rises

I made it a rule that I wouldn't buy any new models until I've address this massive backlog of 2 whole armies, but I did buy a lot of overpriced inessential stuff like Datacards and tools I'll probably use once. I even bought the Citadel Water Pot. I could use literally anything that'd hold some water but I thought it looked pretty so screw it, ordered :p I'm sure after the prices change I'll have saved several pence.
  • DFawkes 14 Jul 2020 13:37:25 32,752 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I was going to post when they went live on Saturday, but the new 9th edition Indomidus Box Set is out now. It sold out in 2 minutes so by the time I was ready to post advising they'd have limited stock, they had none. However, they are doing it made-to-order for a limited time:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Indomitus-EN-2020

Most of the original stock seem to have went to scalpers who added £100 onto the price on eBay. They've now started hastily revising their prices :p It's a lovely set though. Space Marines (as always) vs Necrons, and they're pretty much all new models that would fit in with existing armies fairly well. They're not saying it's a starter set meaning it doesn't have dice or rulers, but it has the Rulebook so it'd still be a good way into the hobby if you're happy enough sourcing those.

New core rules are out too, here:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Lw4o3USx1R8sU7cQ.pdf

It's similar enough that you won't have to re-learn everything and old codices still mostly work, but there are some interesting tweaks. Not that anyone cares, but I can care enough for everyone.
  • Knighty 14 Jul 2020 14:01:33 1,291 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I do care. Managed to get a first wave pre order on Goblin Games (who I heartily recommend).

The official GW website falls over at the moment there’s a touch of demand, so rarely use it for anything I think will sell out. Good that they are doing the made to order route in this one though.

Now I can get those Space marines added to the same pile of shame that contains all the Dark Imperium and Conquest magazine stuff (seriously, not built a single Primaris yet. Too many internal wranglings over which chapter! Would love to do a home brew, but feel like I need to know more about how primaris chapters are organised. I’d want to do proper first company, scout company etc).

On the slight upside, I have at least built and painted all my death guard (minus a bit of basing). Just mortarion to purchase, but can’t justify the cost!
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Jul 2020 14:09:11 11,068 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I was going to post when they went live on Saturday, but the new 9th edition Indomidus Box Set is out now. It sold out in 2 minutes so by the time I was ready to post advising they'd have limited stock, they had none. However, they are doing it made-to-order for a limited time:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Indomitus-EN-2020

Most of the original stock seem to have went to scalpers who added £100 onto the price on eBay. They've now started hastily revising their prices :p It's a lovely set though. Space Marines (as always) vs Necrons, and they're pretty much all new models that would fit in with existing armies fairly well. They're not saying it's a starter set meaning it doesn't have dice or rulers, but it has the Rulebook so it'd still be a good way into the hobby if you're happy enough sourcing those.

New core rules are out too, here:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Lw4o3USx1R8sU7cQ.pdf

It's similar enough that you won't have to re-learn everything and old codices still mostly work, but there are some interesting tweaks. Not that anyone cares, but I can care enough for everyone.
    :( i really wish i had the time patience or skill for warhammer.

I can barely glue something together without getting my fingers stuck let alone something as detailed and difficult as warhammer.
  • wuntyate 14 Jul 2020 14:11:48 17,221 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been thinking for quite some time about this. Anyone have any recommendations for a good starter set? I quite fancy getting my boy into it and giving him some games. Sadly I got rid of all my beautiful Warhammer aeons ago, including my beloved Chaos Nurgle Army.

Warhammer 40K that is, none of that fantasy shit.
  • DFawkes 14 Jul 2020 14:34:28 32,752 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Knighty wrote:
    On the slight upside, I have at least built and painted all my death guard (minus a bit of basing). Just mortarion to purchase, but can’t justify the cost!
    He's a magical pretty butterfly demon. If that's not justification enough I don't know what is :p

Wunty - Whilst it isn't sold as a starter set, this new Indomidus Box Set would work quite well as one. You'd still need some six-sided dice and rulers, plus terrain, but it comes with the full new 9th Edition Rulebook and 2 decent armies to get started with. It is a bit pricey at £125 but given normal Games Workshop prices for similar models, it's relatively good value for money.

That said if you don't want to spend that much or don't have interest in those factions, you could easily buy any of the start collecting sets and get by with the free Core Rules for now. There are also 3 tiers of 8th edition starter set - First Strike is tiny but a nice enough taster, Know No Fear is larger and has some nicer units, and Dark Imperium is the full 8th edition starter. All those units are still valid if you'd prefer those armies, which your love of Nurgle suggests might be the case.
  • Knighty 14 Jul 2020 14:48:47 1,291 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah dark imperium sounds good if you like Nurgle, as I doubt they’ll ever be in a starter set again! And get it quick if you can, as it’s going out of production soon. You might even find somewhere online for 20% off. The boy will probably like the Space Marines and let’s face it, it’s never going to be hard to get them cheap (comparatively) as they’ll always be in a bundle or similar.

Oddly enough no ‘start collecting’ bundle set for death Guard yet. I pretty much have all I need (other than maybe a predator, or a Daemon Prince), but it still would be nice.

Part of me expects a minor update for Death guard within the next year or so, as the codex is a touch short, and there’s been a rumour engine or two that could feasibly be them. Hopefully would then come accompanied with a Start Collecting of the older stuff.
  • wuntyate 14 Jul 2020 14:55:03 17,221 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers chaps! I'll have a look around for a good deal on Dark Imperium. Sounds perfect! Oh... Codexes. Rings a bell. Do they have a specifc one for Death Guard then these days? I'm VERY out of touch. When I used to play they didn't even do Chaos Marines, I had to make my own!
  • Ddanno 14 Jul 2020 15:23:26 1,851 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There is indeed a standalone Death Guard codex.
  • wuntyate 14 Jul 2020 15:24:59 17,221 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I love me some death guard.
  • Knighty 14 Jul 2020 15:38:46 1,291 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I’d avoid the Death Guard vodex - purely as it’s likely to get updated to 9th edition at some point. Could be a year, could be longer, could be sooner.
    Now GW are putting out an app for 9th edition that will include all the old 8th Ed codexes until they get invalidated. True to form it’s far too expensive (£4 a month), but it would be a saving as long as the codex is out in 6 months or less? Or y’know, take screenshots on a tablet of the rules pages you are interested in and unsubscribe after a month. And obviously should include loads of other codexes for the time being. To be honest via that and BattleScribe for list building you should be fine.
    Ordinarily I would say buy the codex, but with a reasonable chance of being out of date in a year I can’t recommend it.

In future the 9th Ed paper codexes will include a code to put in the app to unlock access (still the monthly fee mind for full features).
  • KingOfSpain 14 Jul 2020 16:37:32 5,339 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @wuntyate

If you're thinking about dipping your toe into 40k before jumping fully into the grim dark water, I HIGHLY recommend Kill Team.

It's small and quick games without all the rules boat you get with 40k, with the added benefit that you only need to collect and paint a few models (5-10) in order to play.

If you bought the starter set you would need very little else. No codexs etc. It's a great game system.
  • oldschoolsoviet 14 Jul 2020 17:34:21 6,962 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Try the Easy-To-Build sets, 3x Primaris, 3x Death Guard. Play a little Kill Team/Necromunda game with some downloaded rules, maybe a starter paint set beyond that. £20-50 is a better outlay than a starter that'll end up on eBay for a third of the cost.
  • Zyrr 14 Jul 2020 17:53:57 544 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I agree that Kill Team is a great gateway in as it only requires the core rulebook and a small model count, but I'd also suggest maybe just waiting for the 9th Edition 40k rulebook to come out on the 25th, as there's specific missions for sub-500 point games in the book.

That way you can literally start small in 9th with your chosen faction and, if you're having fun, steadily build up your army to larger points games. By which point you'll have a really good grasp of the rules.
  • Carlo 14 Jul 2020 20:13:11 21,735 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    It's a lovely set though. Space Marines (as always) vs Necrons, and they're pretty much all new models that would fit in with existing armies fairly well.

I don't get this bit. Do you mean new poses or new types of people?

If I have a captain from Dark Imperium, specifically "Primaris Space Marine Captain in Gravis Armour Warhammer 40k Dark Imperium" does that mean I can't use him in the new game as a captain?

A captain is a captain right? If I have a captain with slightly different weapon load outs, can I not play him? What's the actual craic here?

Just painted all the Marines in the Dark Imperium set. Do I just throw them in the bin now? Seems utterly mad!
  • Knighty 14 Jul 2020 21:05:30 1,291 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nah course not, half the models in some ranges are over 20 years old (looking at you, Aeldari). Most can still be used (the odd model goes to ‘Legends’ , but even then they generally have rules, just no good for competitive or pickup play’.) it’s generally niche forgeworld units that go that way, nothing mainstream. They have ‘squatted’ (read ‘given up on’) a few armies totally, but that’s the niche mega rare ones. And occasionally they come back, as in the case of the newish Genestealer cults who were dead and buried for 15 years or so.

Oh look my phone auto corrected ‘Eldar’ to Aeldari. GW have got to the dictionary makers!
  • DFawkes 14 Jul 2020 22:06:23 32,752 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    It's a lovely set though. Space Marines (as always) vs Necrons, and they're pretty much all new models that would fit in with existing armies fairly well.
    I was just referring to the Indomitus Box Set, which is a mix of new sculpts and a selection of the newer units. Don't worry, everything you have is still totally valid! It's just more options, not replacements. For example it comes with the new Assault Intercessor Squad, but you can stick with Reivers, Assault Squads or standard Intercessors no problem.
  • Carlo 14 Jul 2020 22:16:53 21,735 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    I was just referring to the Indomitus Box Set, which is a mix of new sculpts and a selection of the newer units. Don't worry, everything you have is still totally valid! It's just more options, not replacements. For example it comes with the new Assault Intercessor Squad, but you can stick with Reivers, Assault Squads or standard Intercessors no problem.
    Ah, but assume these "new Assault Intercessor Squad" are slightly better than the old ones in some way, so you'll want to get them so you can play them?

Or can you play your old Intercessors as new ones?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.