Warhammer 40K (with the models and everything) Page 26

Next Last
  • TechnoHippy 15 Dec 2019 12:35:41 17,310 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @IRWATWO It's the holding of things with any precision I struggle with, so much so I had to abandon my model railway layout and do a lego one instead - not that I've done much of that for a while.
  • KingOfSpain 15 Dec 2019 12:44:28 5,296 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:
    @KingOfSpain You should showcase the ones you have done recently.
    I don't have the images stored anywhere online, but I'll link to my Tweets.

I'm particularly happy with my recent Nurgle
    Blood Bowl team. Taken me ages to get the stripes right.

Last week I also magnetised and painted this fat bastard.

I also added a old school Warboss to my Death Skulls Kill Team.

They're nowhere near the level of quality that you see posted by professions, I've only been doing it for around 18 months, but I'm mostly happy with them.
    Oh, and one more just to show I'm not totally immune to painting cool
    Space Marines.
  • smoothpete 15 Dec 2019 14:26:22 36,905 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I assume you guys have seen the Astartes animation series but in case not, here you go. All made by one guy!

Part 1 of 4 (part 5 coming soon)

https://youtu.be/g-MteECxZUY

They’re really short and fucking awesome

Edited by smoothpete at 14:28:57 15-12-2019
  • Gunzberg 15 Dec 2019 15:02:59 2,796 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Omg, thanks for the link. Amazing stuff!
  • IRWATWO 15 Dec 2019 15:22:23 702 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Wow how, so much W1N :)

Love it all, the Genestealers, Nurgle Blood Bowl, Warboss I have also painted half as well :)

Great to see, the time and attention to detail is what I love most, followed by the awesome colour schemes :)

Right, TechnoHippy, Geedubs do now do model holders that are vvvv popular, might be cock-all use but I'm just going to find a link ....

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Painting-Handle-2017

These things. Maybe worth a punt? Obviously if holding brush a problem, no good, thought worth a try. Plastic model at least light and solid compared to mechanical intricacy of model train?

Those vids are great. I have the Ultramarines film too, which despite stellar voice cast, is .... less great.

Thanks for showing, all :)

Edited by IRWATWO at 15:59:02 15-12-2019
  • KingOfSpain 15 Dec 2019 15:33:31 5,296 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've got a GW paint handle. Really useful when painting that one special figure, when you're spending loads of time on one mini.

I generally paint in batches though so I don't bother swapping the figures on and off the handle unless I'm doing fine detail work.
  • TechnoHippy 7 Mar 2020 19:12:54 17,310 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    One for 40k (well technically 30k) fans - a real labour of love fan film. The dialogue is a little underwhelming, but the overall atmosphere is spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9wV2sGlXjY
  • Carlo 22 Mar 2020 22:08:50 21,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hey guys. Are any of you using contrast paints? I just ordered a few to do Death Guard from the Dark Imperium set (I'm not enjoying painting them as much as I did the marines).

Has anyone else painted using them? What undercoat did you use? I use Humbrol usually as I like the finish I get from it, but wondering what anyone else is using.
  • TechnoHippy 23 Mar 2020 17:03:37 17,310 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Not painted in years so haven't tried them, I remember somebody posting that using pearl, or off white is better than pure white for the primer for a subtler end result.
  • Your-Mother 23 Mar 2020 17:58:16 4,294 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I’m no golden demon recipient, but contrast paints are amazing for speed painting a shitload of grunts. That plus a quick shade varnish + matte touchups means I can churn out decent looking (remembering the three foot rule) figures in bulk in about an hour, and spend more time on the fancy special/unique models with traditional painting.
  • ResidentKnievel 23 Mar 2020 18:48:37 7,405 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Contrast are a revelation for painting and shading white and yellow, turns a nightmare in to an easy job. A smooth coat of Wraithbone Spray, then Apothecary White contrast over the top looks decent on marines and takes minutes.

They aren't so good for huge flat surfaces like on tanks and they can look a bit chalky, but for marine armour and fleshy bits they save a tonne of time while often giving a better result.
  • Carlo 24 Mar 2020 20:56:08 21,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sorry I didn't reply soon, but thanks guys for the replies.

I've ordered some more matt white undercoat.

So I see Wrathbone is a little less white than what I used, adn you also mentioned off-white being better. I might pick up a can of that also. I have a grey but I think it's too dark and not the beige tint you get.

I might have a look at what finishes look like.

thanks guys
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 28 May 2020 11:59:10 32,462 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I imagine everyone has other forums they discuss such things give how quiet this thread it, but for those not aware 9th edition has been formally announced. There's some info out there but one of the main things they are saying is current codices and the current Psychic Awakening books will all still be valid. Big focus on a Necron overhaul in regards to both lore and models. An official app will be released, and any new physical codex will unlock the digital one in the app (I assume via a code or something). I can't see them making much massive changes if they're saying old codices work but there's a lot they could tweak that might result in big changes. Just like now, the core rules will be free so we'll be able to see for ourselves.

I've finished collecting the Conquest partwork. I got it with the best of intentions, thinking I would build/paint stuff issue by issue and have it as an ongoing project for the 2 years it would run. What actually happened is I have multiple boxes of unpainted, unassembled miniatures, maybe 12 issues worth of models built so I could at least play small games, and 3 models base coated. When the mood takes me I'll have plenty to do! I have also bought the core Rulebook, and codices for the 2 armies.

The Games Workshop webstore has given notice of upcoming price increases on the 1st of June - Article here with a link to the list of products with imminent price rises

I made it a rule that I wouldn't buy any new models until I've address this massive backlog of 2 whole armies, but I did buy a lot of overpriced inessential stuff like Datacards and tools I'll probably use once. I even bought the Citadel Water Pot. I could use literally anything that'd hold some water but I thought it looked pretty so screw it, ordered :p I'm sure after the prices change I'll have saved several pence.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.