Warhammer 40K (with the models and everything) Page 33

Next Last
  • Knighty 19 Nov 2020 20:41:44 1,177 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Jesus man, living the dream. I get an hour on Fridays between 1 ish and half 2 before picking the kids up but by the time Iíve had a little lunch, put a load of washing on and done a sweep round tidying the house that times gone.
    My own fault mind, I reckon I have plenty of time in the evenings but I end up just vegging out instead. What I really need is Blood bowl 3 to hurry up (and hopefully it will be cross compatible between PS4 (or 5 if Iíve updated by then) and PC, as otherwise itís a touch dead).
  • Deleted user 19 November 2020 20:54:13
    @Knighty

It is easy to just veg out of an evening, (particularly after work), which is why I cancelled all my TV subs in a bid to push me into doing more practical things, like mini painting. Of course being single again I didn't have to clear any decision on cancelling said subs. When the kids are over we often play board games, multiplayer video games and the like. My copy of the very first Talisman is a regular. Great board game.

Edited by Aramil47 at 20:59:00 19-11-2020
  • KingOfSpain 19 Nov 2020 22:59:21 5,332 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Talisman is a really bad game. Rubbish random mechanics and it takes fucking forever... But I ALWAYS have the best time playing it. Always!

It's like the best bad game ever.

Or maybe the worst great game?

Either way, it's shit and I love it! 😊

Edited by KingOfSpain at 23:04:13 19-11-2020
  • Deleted user 19 November 2020 23:25:46
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    Talisman is a really bad game. Rubbish random mechanics and it takes fucking forever... But I ALWAYS have the best time playing it. Always!

It's like the best bad game ever.

Or maybe the worst great game?

Either way, it's shit and I love it! 😊
    Oh it's bonkers for rules, but great fun.

This is the one I have. Around 35 years old and aside from a tatty box, (because it's well loved), it's all intact and complete. Beautiful, old school artwork as well.

Edited by Aramil47 at 23:26:19 19-11-2020
  • Deleted user 22 November 2020 00:10:09
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 22 November 2020 07:42:49
    My latest effort

http://www.coolminiornot.com/452747

Edited by Aramil47 at 07:44:03 22-11-2020
  • KingOfSpain 22 Nov 2020 10:35:16 5,332 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Aramil47

Nicely done. Contrast on the yellow I assume? Looks nice and smooth.

Edited by KingOfSpain at 10:35:29 22-11-2020
  • Deleted user 22 November 2020 12:14:33
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    @Aramil47

Nicely done. Contrast on the yellow I assume? Looks nice and smooth.
    Thanks!

An old Citadel yellow glaze, although from what I've used of the new contrast range they're very much like the glazes of old.
  • suhawk75 22 Nov 2020 18:07:28 4 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I tried to paint a few armour plates on my Warhound Titan yellow and I now understand that I hate painting anything yellow. So, so difficult to get smooth looking
  • Deleted user 22 November 2020 20:50:55
    suhawk75 wrote:
    I tried to paint a few armour plates on my Warhound Titan yellow and I now understand that I hate painting anything yellow. So, so difficult to get smooth looking
    Yellow is a bastard to paint and generally I try to avoid using it on large areas. However, for this Marine I started with Bestial Brown then mixed it upwards with Desert Yellow before adding Sunburst Yellow and a White mix. Then I carefully inked the armour joints with Chestnut and Orange ink before applying a yellow glaze. Then I went back over the edges with thinned down Ceramic White
  • KingOfSpain 23 Nov 2020 18:13:20 5,332 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I also hate yellow! Bloody awful stuff.

I have had some success using a few thin layers of yellow wash over different light greys, especially on larger armour panels.

The Contrast yellow is very good though.
  • Knighty 23 Nov 2020 21:19:19 1,177 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Me on yellow: a bottle of Averland sunset, ahead earth shade if needed then a top of of averland sunset, then yriel yellow to highlight.

Might be why my yellows never look good (I only ever use them as spot colours in tiny little places).

About to take my first steps into contrast - needed some cheap colours to bulk out a couple of orders to get free shipping. Was hoping at some point GW would do a good starter set for contrast but doesnít appear to be the case, so thought Iíd gradually start to add a few bottles here and there.
  • Deleted user 26 November 2020 19:07:51
    Finished Gandalf the White today.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81276&d=1606411097
  • Knighty 26 Nov 2020 21:47:25 1,177 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oooh I like it, especially the white on the staff.

Still bitter about LOTR - I had a shed load of models from the first film era, that werenít painted too bad for 16 year old me. Never did find them, or the 40k Emperors children army I had. Near enough every marine converted with blast master/sonic blaster. Cost me a fortune in bitz alone!

Stealth edit - how did you get the White on the robes and the staff looking like two different whites? Thatís what made it look good. The delicate silvers as well.

Staff could be straighter, mind. Thatís my ultra cynical hat on, and thatís GWs fault.

Edited by Knighty at 21:50:07 26-11-2020
  • Deleted user 27 November 2020 01:22:35
    Knighty wrote:
    Oooh I like it, especially the white on the staff.

Stealth edit - how did you get the White on the robes and the staff looking like two different whites? Thatís what made it look good. The delicate silvers as well.

Staff could be straighter, mind. Thatís my ultra cynical hat on, and thatís GWs fault.
    Firstly thanks!

The robes started with bestial brown then I did a few gentle dry brushes of bestial brown mixed with bubonic brown mixing up, (don't know what the new names for these colours are, sorry), until a final dry brush of bubonic brown. Then it was several layers of wet blending bubonic brown with white to smooth out the dry brush, working up until pure white. I felt the robes being a stark white, like in the movie, would just look like an undercoat so decided to make them look worn in.

Silver was just that, silver, then thinned down black ink was applied before picking out again with silver.

The staff was a simple base coat of bone wet blended up with white. (Getting the staff that straight took some effort being as it's one of GW's old metal casts!)

Job done.
  • bone-on 27 Nov 2020 09:21:03 592 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My mini painting improved no end when I moved to Vallejo paints. You can get a decent Vallejo game colour boxed set for £150 with 72 paints and 3 brushes and the dropper bottles are so much better for saving waste and mixing, wet blending etc.

I only use the citadel spray primers and washes apart from that I hate the citadel pot design and how overpriced they are.
  • Deleted user 27 November 2020 09:32:35
    I recently invested in a couple of boxes of Vallejo paints. A 16 colour set and a 8 metallic colour set. Of those I've used I'm very impressed by so far. The two sets cost me around £46. The same amount of paints via GW would be touching £100.

Edited by Aramil47 at 09:33:29 27-11-2020
  • bone-on 27 Nov 2020 12:46:23 592 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aramil47 wrote:
    I recently invested in a couple of boxes of Vallejo paints. A 16 colour set and a 8 metallic colour set. Of those I've used I'm very impressed by so far. The two sets cost me around £46. The same amount of paints via GW would be touching £100.
    Once you go Vallejo you never go back
  • Flying_Pig 27 Nov 2020 12:56:20 16,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've stuck to Citadel paints so far, but seen lots of good things about Vallejo paints. I'm slightly daunted by the cost of entry, but I think I'll take the plunge, if I can get them for a decent price.
  • Deleted user 27 November 2020 13:28:43
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    I've stuck to Citadel paints so far, but seen lots of good things about Vallejo paints. I'm slightly daunted by the cost of entry, but I think I'll take the plunge, if I can get them for a decent price.
    Thing is they're a lot cheaper than Citadel and equally as good.

This set of 16 is currently £24 and even at full price are still cheaper than GW https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000PHCTRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Nexus_6 27 Nov 2020 13:47:31 5,480 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I use Vallejo's Mecha Colour for painting gundam models with the airbrush.
    They are great, but a steep steep learning curve for me. They are very durable when cured which is the big draw but I think the cost of that is a bit more difficult to use. Maybe it's just me not knowing how to use an airbrush.
    What is so good about the Model Colour then? Do you brush apply them?
  • Deleted user 27 November 2020 14:11:52
    @Nexus_6

Yep, brush apply.
  • Your-Mother 28 Nov 2020 21:12:05 5,442 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Picked up Season 2 of Blood Bowl today. Havenít played the physical game since the 90s, so have to get in some practice before my local league starts up again post-COVID.
  • bone-on 28 Nov 2020 21:37:16 592 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Picked up Season 2 of Blood Bowl today. Havenít played the physical game since the 90s, so have to get in some practice before my local league starts up again post-COVID.
    I've been hovering over the buy button never really played it before but the box set looks great value
  • bone-on 28 Nov 2020 21:37:18 592 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Knighty 28 Nov 2020 21:56:48 1,177 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mine turned up ( including necomantic team, and two Treemen)...and my wife promptly spirited it away for my birthday. Disaster.

Still suppose it gives me chance to finish off the halfling team in the meantime! If anyone knows a good citadel colour for squirrels do let me know - donít want to go full red or full brown. No idea whatís natural looking!
  • KingOfSpain 28 Nov 2020 23:03:59 5,332 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've picked up the cards, but can't get the box until the new Year unfortunately.

• EMarkM 29 Nov 2020 16:29:26 5,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Knighty Black squirrels from The Hobbit?
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.