Following Alan Partridge returns! Page 6

• INSOMANiAC 7 Aug 2013 19:23:22 4,617 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I went to watch this today and I can tell you now, I wasn't impressed by the trailer... I was expecting it to be shit....

And it's brilliant.

No Partridge fan will be disappointed, its much better than mid morning matters and one or two scenes are absolutely hilarious, its well worth a watch

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 19:23:35 07-08-2013
  • uiruki 7 Aug 2013 20:50:34 4,818 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just came out of a showing. Passed the six laugh test in less than ten minutes and kept going. Appreciated the 90 minute length too, I'm sick of films stretched out to 2 hours. No worries about the trailer spoiling the best jokes either!
  • spindle9988 7 Aug 2013 21:58:36 4,884 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cannot wait to see this. The missus can't stand him though
  • superdelphinus 7 Aug 2013 23:51:49 10,028 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm going to try and watch this tomorrow. The other ha,f wants to watch that horror thing but I always have trouble listening and then buying the right tickets
  • caligari 8 Aug 2013 00:27:26 17,945 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I'm going to try and watch this tomorrow. The other ha,f wants to watch that horror thing but I always have trouble listening and then buying the right tickets
    The Conjuring? It's...okay. I'm not sure if it's paying 'homage' to all of the classic horror films - or just ripping them off.
  • Triggerhappytel 8 Aug 2013 00:54:10 2,696 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've got a free evening with the wife and kids away the week after next, and I was thinking of going to the cinema. If this is good I'll consider it for sure, otherwise I'll probably go to see Kick Ass 2.
  • MrSensible 8 Aug 2013 07:39:48 26,517 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Posted this in the film ratings thread, but shall do the ol' copypasta:

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

Thought this was absolutely perfect and everything I've been waiting for all of these years. The best way to bring Alan to the big screen, that's for sure. The intro sequence of him in his car was gold :D Only one or two jokes fell flat, everything else was on the money.

Only niggles were:

(1) Why does Alan look younger than before? (though this is a complaint I've had for a couple of years)

and

(2) Not enough Michael

Other than that it was everything I could have hoped for as the ridiculously huge Partridge fan that I am. Not one for newcomers, but fans of AP will likely love it.

Does this spell the end of Alan, though? With the happy ending and all...
  • M83J01P97 8 Aug 2013 07:47:49 7,606 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:

Not seen the film myself but in his recent Empire interview, Coogan said he has a love/hate relationship with being Partridge and fully intends to retire the character eventually...

Having said that, there is a second series of Mid Morning Matters coming soon.
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Aug 2013 07:49:28 24,551 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @thefilthandthefury
    Cant wait to see it, do we got a lot of Lyn, she is so very important.

Watched Watership Alan a couple of nights back...Perfect comedy

'Lynn please have a word with the builder cause the other day his jeans were so far up his backside you could more or less see his anus' :)
  • MrSensible 8 Aug 2013 07:51:39 26,517 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @thefilthandthefury
    Cant wait to see it, do we got a lot of Lyn, she is so very important.

Watched Watership Alan a couple of nights back...Perfect comedy

'Lynn please have a word with the builder cause the other day his jeans were so far up his backside you could more or less see his anus' :)
    Ah you won't be let down there! Some great Lynn moments. Also, her house looks exactly how I imagined it would...

Edited by thefilthandthefury at 07:51:46 08-08-2013
  • monkman76 8 Aug 2013 07:52:04 14,726 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 There's plenty of Lynn :)

Singing along to Roachford in his car was one of my highlights :D

Edited by monkman76 at 07:52:21 08-08-2013
  • roz123 8 Aug 2013 09:04:05 7,104 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I saw it last night and laughed my tits off. Its very, very funny.

A couple of my favourite lines/jokes for people who have seen it

*SPOILERS*
    you can still get shit on a fist.

Lynn what are you doing, I'm trying to watch that seagull fly away
  • MrSensible 8 Aug 2013 09:36:22 26,517 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    roz123 wrote:

*SPOILERS*
    Lynn what are you doing, I'm trying to watch that seagull fly away
    Probably my favourite bit of the whole movie :D
  • StrikeForce 8 Aug 2013 10:29:19 207 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watched this in Norwich last night. Consistently funny with some classic Partridge lines. Was great seeing us put back on the cinematic map (it's been a long time since Clockwise).
  • imamazed 8 Aug 2013 10:30:01 6,393 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    StrikeForce wrote:
    Watched this in Norwich last night. Consistently funny with some classic Partridge lines. Was great seeing us put back on the cinematic map (it's been a long time since Clockwise).
    Which cinema did you see it in?

Edited by imamazed at 10:30:14 08-08-2013
  • StrikeForce 8 Aug 2013 10:41:13 207 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @imamazed Cinema City
  • minky-kong 8 Aug 2013 12:00:19 14,246 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tickets booked for Saturday afternoon. All the positive reviews have me even more excited than watching both series of I'm Alan Partridge this week.
  • fiery_jackass 8 Aug 2013 12:10:09 1,134 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    uh oh, this spoiler troubles me. I saw Alpha Papa back in April or something, part of a focus group/test screening thing. Thought it was fantastic, particularly loved the ending. The focus group afterwards confirmed my prejudices on these things: the public should not be encouraged to contribute to creative enterprises in this way. They didn't get it, mostly because most of them seemed bafflingly stupid rather than just not liking it.

the ending I saw doesn't jibe with your spoiler.
  • INSOMANiAC 8 Aug 2013 13:50:57 4,617 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No no no, the best line in the film was

'Heaven and saints preserve us! Please god let it be solid!!'

The more I think about it the more I want to see this film again, very unexpected
  • fiery_jackass 8 Aug 2013 13:55:43 1,134 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • fiery_jackass 8 Aug 2013 13:58:02 1,134 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    OOps I deleted the last post sorry sorry

my spoiler tags hadn't worked and I'd given away my dim recollection of the last line of the film, which was a bit different to INSOMANiAC's
    something like
    fucking hell, not again
  • Syrette 11 Aug 2013 09:54:44 50,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Film was outstanding.

Went with 3 friends 2 of whom aren't big Partridge fans. They loved it.
  • fiery_jackass 12 Aug 2013 07:45:36 1,134 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's a *real* shame that they changed the ending. Bloody focus groups, hate them. No way should armando/Coogan etc be taking direction from a group of mouth-breathers and BBC3 watchers.

Still a great movie though. The other cuts (including an entire subplot involving Lynne) probably made for a tighter film although the brutality of the edit was sometimes apparent.

Edited by fiery_jackass at 13:06:13 12-08-2013
  • MrSensible 12 Aug 2013 07:50:53 26,517 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I can make an educated guess, but what was the original ending like? Spoiler tag it and get it up here :D
  • fiery_jackass 12 Aug 2013 08:11:57 1,134 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ok, although on paper it looks a bit crap, worked mostly because it was beautifully timed.

It all played out much like the final version, same jarring "what they did next" text boxes that still weren't particularly funny. As in the movie, it returned to Alan in the car with his new family, however (in my memory at least) Alan was *not* enjoying the company of the teenagers.

it then cut back abruptly to the vinyl archive at Shape FM, Pat in searching for the record, Alan waking frum a daydream whilst beside the gun, just like the dream sequence with Sean Pertwee earlier. He said something like "fucking hell not again". FIN.

so yes, on paper it all looks a bit Bobby Ewing, but it made me piss myself laughing plus it casts an interesting light back on the rest of the movie, Alan can dream up his own sort-of heroics but even in a dream he can't reward himself without poisoning it a bit.

A series of bewildering and depressing reasons for not getting the ending were given by the focus group: "I like a happy ending"; "I was confused did he win or not?"; "I like closure, I like to come out of a movie feeling good about things" etc etc
  • Trowel 12 Aug 2013 08:43:23 22,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You should spoiler that - doesn't give anything away directly, but how it ends for Alan is fairly key.

Was Michael more prominent in the earlier cut? Was a little disappointed he was marginalised to a couple of set pieces - totally worth it for the distraction technique on the pier though :)
  • Deleted user 12 August 2013 09:24:49
    2 stars in The Sunday Times with them complaining that Alan had become too nice.

I think thats true he does seem a bit more sympathetic than before.

Thought the film was really funny though. The glove slapping comes to mind as well as 'Whats the worst monger?'

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.