Following Alan Partridge returns! Page 21

• Deleted user 3 April 2019 17:07:33
    I've enjoyed it but it's nowhere near the level of his earlier stuff. A lot of content was really hit and miss for me which is unfortunate as I love the character.

Give him a second series you swine!
  • yegon 3 Apr 2019 17:16:03 6,511 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I agree re: hit and miss, quite a few moments fell flat in first 5 eps, but there were numerous excellent bits to make up for it. The verbal jousting with the outside correspondent was priceless.

Didn’t laugh once last ep, the closest I came was him immediately backtracking after saying “planting drugs on little black boys”, heh.
  • fontgeeksogood 3 Apr 2019 17:16:52 12,913 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    AddyJB wrote:
    I've enjoyed it but it's nowhere near the level of his earlier stuff. A lot of content was really hit and miss for me which is unfortunate as I love the character.

Give him a second series you swine!
    Yeah, give him a second series you shit
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Apr 2019 17:20:31 26,667 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Obligatory "smell my cheese you mother"

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 17:21:17 03-04-2019
  • minky-kong 3 Apr 2019 17:21:22 14,746 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AddyJB wrote:
    Completely agree with this. I think what was most jarring was that the format seemed more sketch show like, particularly with repeated sections over episodes like the Ruth Duggan verbal-sparing that didn't reach any sort of actual conclusion.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Apr 2019 17:24:50 26,667 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I enjoyed it, good to have Alan back in any capacity. I would say that MMM is probably some of my absolute favourite stuff. :)
  • nickthegun 3 Apr 2019 18:41:53 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Thought the rest were far better and didn’t really like this nasty side that seemed to come out of nowhere this week.
    I don't know about that. They have always been pretty consistent with showing him to be a complete arsehole the moment hes threatened/challenged and with this being his final throw of the dice, it brought it out pretty badly. He'd just started to feel confident enough to make two consecutive Carol Thatcher jokes about a popular co-host and *boom* he's flying solo.

But overall, there were a few balance issues between funny and cringe but I really enjoyed it. The mrs doesn't really like Partridge but she did enjoy this one partially cuz she works in tv and confirmed it was almost a documentary but also because she said it felt like watching a horror film.

I'd never really thought about it, but you just know something bad is going to happen, something is going to bring him down and theres an almost unbearable tension waiting for it to happen.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Apr 2019 19:06:28 26,667 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    SKS should get some praise for the episode as well. I thought his unease was perfect.

Re Alan getting nasty, I'm with Nick on this one, I think it is his nature, once he settles. I think he is getting sacked though :)

Back to the Travel Tavern me thinks
  • nickthegun 3 Apr 2019 19:35:49 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I suppose it depends how on the nose they want to be. If they want to see it to its logical conclusion, an arsehole like Alan would get his own primetime show, which is what I think the meeting will be about.

His shithousery will end up proving super popular.
  • Lukus 3 Apr 2019 22:08:48 24,378 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I feel bad for anyone who didn't enjoy this. It's genuinely the funniest new comedy series I've watched in ages. Nothing else has had me laughing out loud uncontrollably to the extent this show has in years. They've perfectly realised Alan in a One Show format.
  • ERG1008 4 Apr 2019 08:53:23 816 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Back to the Travel Tavern me thinks
    I'd like to see the final Alan Partridge going back to this.
    Maybe with Sophie now in charge of the Travel Tavern, Susan (you blonde bastard, from the future) as an area manager, Michael being Michael and hopefully giving James Lance something to do as Ben.
    And make sure they don't have any audience laughter which is excruciating, especially in series 2.
  • wuntyate 4 Apr 2019 09:15:14 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    See I know that he has that side and it wasn't outwith his character, just that I didn't enjoy him being like that in this episode. The combination of that, a lack of Jennie and writing that I didn't find as amusing just made it seem a bit flat for me - couple that with his aggression and it just put me off a bit. But I've enjoyed episodes others haven't so much so it's swings and roundabouts really. Episodes 3 & 5 were my favourites without a doubt, followed by 1,2 & 4 with 6 at the bottom.

Overall though I would definitely say it pushed my buttons and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 09:15:26 04-04-2019
  • RGeefe 4 Apr 2019 18:09:59 1,964 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have not been impressed with the series at all, particularly the last episode. I was quite annoyed that Jennie just walked and he wasn't pulled up on his behaviour.

Would prefer not to see another series in this format and go back to sad radio host with no friends. Though if they carry on with the same team, I'd prefer not to see another series full stop.
  • Lukus 4 Apr 2019 18:44:33 24,378 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You seem fun.
  • Lukus 4 Apr 2019 18:45:46 24,378 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anyway, I suspect they've set it up for Sidekick Simon to take over from Jennie in the next series if they make one.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Apr 2019 19:04:27 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Series highlight for me remains the #MeToo segment. Perfect realisation of Alan in a One Show format.
  • Lukus 4 Apr 2019 19:27:20 24,378 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tash hag me too
  • up_the_ante 5 Apr 2019 03:22:28 1,536 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Anyway, I suspect they've set it up for Sidekick Simon to take over from Jennie in the next series if they make one.
    That would be an odd move. The live TV couch format is always a man and woman. Not just the One Show but every other similar show I can think of. I do think that Side Kick Simon is brilliant though. He should be involved somewhere in the show.
  • Bambot 5 Apr 2019 08:04:47 2,050 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Interesting that so many people didn't like it. I thought it was absolutely brilliant almost all of the time, with some points here and there that didn't really work for me. The VTs are the least successful parts for me as they're so amateurishly made, which simply isn't realistic for something that's supposed to going out on a primetime BBC chat show (within the context of the story). For example, leaving in the voices off going "Partridge you wanker" etc.

But yeah this made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe almost every episode.
  • Bambot 5 Apr 2019 08:05:42 2,050 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Have not been impressed with the series at all, particularly the last episode. I was quite annoyed that Jennie just walked and he wasn't pulled up on his behaviour.

Would prefer not to see another series in this format and go back to sad radio host with no friends. Though if they carry on with the same team, I'd prefer not to see another series full stop.
    It's okay, you don't have to watch the next one, and save us all from the negative attitude :)
  • Trafford 5 Apr 2019 09:15:31 9,202 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's a bit like Radiohead, there are those folks who think everything post The Bends is shite.
    Each to their own.
  • minky-kong 5 Apr 2019 09:20:35 14,746 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    It's okay, you don't have to watch the next one, and save us all from the negative attitude :)
    Are you saying a thread, on EG of all places, has to be nothing but positivity? Be real!
  • Kay 5 Apr 2019 11:10:29 21,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    Interesting that so many people didn't like it. I thought it was absolutely brilliant almost all of the time, with some points here and there that didn't really work for me. The VTs are the least successful parts for me as they're so amateurishly made, which simply isn't realistic for something that's supposed to going out on a primetime BBC chat show (within the context of the story). For example, leaving in the voices off going "Partridge you wanker" etc.
    It was a bit hit and miss for me, simply because of the nature of the show. With this format they would have had to either be really subtle with its humour - which probably would have gone over the top of many people's heads - or go to the extreme, which would make it all seemed a bit forced and unrealistic in the context of a prime time BBC show. The show veered a bit too closely to the latter at times, especially with the VT bits.

I think I would have preferred a proper sitcom mixed in with bits of him hosting the show, which could have played up the silliness of it all a bit better. Basically something like Anchorman: Alan Partridge edition.

Edited by Kay at 11:11:59 05-04-2019
  • jimnastics 5 Apr 2019 11:18:16 1,869 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Some peak Patridge at times, a bit flat other times, but overall I loved it. It'll be interesting to see what this new thing they're working on is, my hope is for something more along the lines of IAP... we haven't had anything like that since other than the film, everything else from what I can remmeber has been "direct to camera", even MMM was based around the notion that it was webcams in the studio. I guess sitcom is the term I'm looking for.
  • Zerobob 5 Apr 2019 12:14:08 2,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Am I the only one who watches this hoping the show goes well for Alan?

Admittedly it wouldn't make for great comedy but, especially after the last episode, I was genuinely rooting for something to finally go right for him!
  • wuntyate 5 Apr 2019 12:16:59 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He doesn't actually deserve the show to go right for him though because, as other characters have pointed out, he's a wanker.
  • minky-kong 5 Apr 2019 12:23:22 14,746 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    Am I the only one who watches this hoping the show goes well for Alan?
    He had a big win at the end of the second episode (the best of the series IMO)
  • Zerobob 5 Apr 2019 12:44:42 2,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is true! I'd forgotten about that, but it wasn't a particularly honourable win on Alan's Part, more just a merciless attack where Alan once again made a fool of himself.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I understand his character (the way he reacts to Lynn's news in the last episode says it all) but no matter how flawed a character is, or how absurd the cringey, farcical disaster comedy is, the protagonist can still be afforded a little actual success now and again.

They even seemed to set up some extreme prejudice against him early on when his co-host outright stole his jokes, and the reporter woman flat out disagrees with everything he says. Yes it was funny, but in the back of my mind I thought if this is one of the last Partridge series maybe he'll finally achieve his goal of being a proper TV host again.
  • IronGiant 5 Apr 2019 13:40:10 6,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    It's a bit like Radiohead, there are those folks who think everything post The Bends is shite.
    Each to their own.
    Post Ok Computer and they'd be right.
  • Trafford 5 Apr 2019 14:05:06 9,202 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    IronGiant wrote:
    Trafford wrote:
    Each to their own.
    Post Ok Computer and they'd be right.
    I thank you.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.