Anyone ever read Choose Your Own Adventures? Page 2

Next Last
  • adventurechris 9 Nov 2010 02:58:04 3 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I actually never played the originals, but I've got the client somewhere on this computer:

http://www.projectaon.org/staff/david/

via: http://www.metafilter.com/95200/Lone-Wolf-chooseyourownadventure-series
  • Alastair 9 Nov 2010 09:20:40 23,547 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    The DS versions of the Lone Wolf books from ryandsimmonds link are great.

Gosh, that's enough to make me think again about getting a DS Flash cart...
  • Cappy 9 Nov 2010 10:07:36 14,080 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Cappy wrote:
    I wish I could see them all again, City of Thieves, Deathtrap Dungeon etc.

You never seem to see them these days. Obviously in the hands of kids they had a high mortality rate but you'd expect to see the odd one knocking around charity shops or at boot sales.

They rereleased them all recently.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deathtrap-Dungeon-Fighting-Fantasy-Livingstone/dp/1848310773/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289248048&sr=8-1

I had no idea they'd reprinted them, thanks.

I'd totally forgotten. I had a go at making my own choose your adventure. I bashed out pages on an ailing prehistoric typewriter that my parents didn't mind a kid messing up. The pain is the most memorable element, you had to hammer those keys if you wanted a strike that was actually legible on the page. It took it's toll.

The story is mostly gone. A Second World War that went nuclear and irradiated the World. I opted to put my protagonist on the side of the post nuclear Third Reich. I'd read through a stash of rather old comics at the time, characters thrashing 'slant eyes' and 'sausage eaters'. Concepts like racism and political correctness were pretty far off in them days, but they still irked me on an instinctual level. I wanted to make a story where they were the monsters.
  • MisterFalseName 9 Nov 2010 10:49:29 991 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I used to play Choose Your Own Adventure books all the time when I was a kid. The technology has come on that you can still get the fun without the annoyance (and possible spoilers) of having to find the right page.

There's one particularly neat flash game that I found in the same vain. It actually made me laugh out loud at points too... http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/mutantuprising/playgame
  • Drakesmoke 10 May 2019 08:34:55 550 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had one that I would really like to refresh my memory of but I canít find my evidence of its existence anywhere.

It may not have been from the usual publishers.

It was more of the Fighting Fantasy type where you had to get dice and a pencil out etc.

You piloted a giant mech and there were charts for load out, armour, hit points and the like. The robot was on the front cover and was kinda sandy coloured.

Anyone remember this?
  • TechnoHippy 10 May 2019 08:45:32 15,001 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I remember of fun choose your own comic with dogfighting in WWI. If I remember correctly it even had two player version.
  • Load_2.0 10 May 2019 08:45:48 29,322 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Robot Commando?
  • THFourteen 10 May 2019 09:28:27 51,929 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Robot Commando?
    Yeah thats the only one i can find by gooogleing
  • robthehermit 10 May 2019 09:36:37 7,291 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
  • Optimas 10 May 2019 09:49:35 22 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone did quite a few, never seemed to get to the end of them when I was younger.
  • Overmegasixwave 10 May 2019 10:17:38 90 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Optimas Some of them were pretty hard going.

Creature of Havoc and Beneath Nightmare Castle had insta-deaths everywhere and took me ages to finish.
  • THFourteen 10 May 2019 10:21:43 51,929 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DId you guys not cheat?? wtf wrong with you.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2019 10:25:05
    I've got a crate stuffed full of them at parents house I occasionally take one with me on holiday. The best was the pirate one when you were the Captain of a pirate ship. Seas of Blood I think it was called.
  • Nemesis 10 May 2019 10:38:31 19,518 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seas_of_Blood
  • Nemesis 10 May 2019 10:41:00 19,518 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Do check out Escape The Dark Castle if you like this sort of thing. Weíve been enjoying it and itís nice and easy to setup and play.
  • Nemesis 10 May 2019 10:42:38 19,518 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    https://youtu.be/FGBkz9J4neU
  • jaxon58 10 May 2019 13:01:23 2,500 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Check out Fighting Fantasy Legends on Steam/iOS/Android, which includes City of Thieves, Warlock of Firetop Mountain and Citadel of Chaos.

The follow-up, Legends Portal, includes Deathtrap Dungeon, Armies of Death and Trial of Champions.
  • Deleted user 10 May 2019 13:07:20
    Nemesis wrote:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seas_of_Blood
    Thats the one. I remember the final boss was fighting an Ogre over a rope bridge inside a volcano. Instead of rolling dice you had to pick your next action in the fight e.g poke him in the eye, kick him in balls etc.
  • sickpuppysoftware 10 May 2019 13:30:43 1,483 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There's a podcast called Campaign On Dice where two guys are playing through all the FF books in order. It's fair to say they don't take the whole thing too seriously.
  • stephenb 11 May 2019 21:31:52 3,422 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did anyone read these ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grailquest

They were a bit more humorous than others.
  • Drakesmoke 12 May 2019 01:21:16 550 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There were loads of these in Waterstones today, really nice editions on better quality paper etc than they used to have. Nearly bought one for nostalgic reasons. but ended up with a nice edition of Good Omens, I'm happy I made the right choice at 36.

To those who answered Robot Commando, to my earlier question, thanks but I'm ALMOST sure it wasn't that, certainly the cover was different. TBH I think it was a cheapo knock-off and not part of the established FF line, I bought it in a cheap newsagent. It was however really great.

EDIT - could well have been Robot Warriors, which is more of an RPG thing, however it was presented in a similar way in terms of the story.

Edited by Drakesmoke at 01:21:28 12-05-2019

Edited by Drakesmoke at 01:47:15 12-05-2019
  • Alastair 12 May 2019 06:07:32 23,547 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    stephenb wrote:
    Did anyone read these ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grailquest

They were a bit more humorous than others.
    Yes!!
    I remember one part with a village map marked with location numbers. Somehow, I had real trouble getting out of there...

Edited by Alastair at 06:08:35 12-05-2019
  • ZuluHero 12 May 2019 10:06:29 7,396 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    Yes: Go to page 7
    No: Go to page 23
    Sadly this thread never reached that page count to find out :)
  • Reacher 12 May 2019 11:21:30 2,806 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I play/read Forest of Doom etc on Steam- they're pretty fun.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 12 May 2019 11:38:06 3,480 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have the Steam House of Hell which works nicely while being faithful to the original. Last time I saw new book releases they had butchered all the internal art. Luckily despite me having (foolishly) got rid of my FF collection as a kid my wife managed to build up almost a full set through charity shops. I also liked the Lone Wolf series as a kid.

Other similar style ones I remember were the Way of the Tiger series and Knightmare (which were half novella, and half CYOA). The actual CYOA series lacked combat and always felt a bit Famous Five from what I recall... Japanese Visual Novels have too few choices to be a true successor as a rule, although a few like 428: Shibuya Scramble have a lot of choices (lacks combat though). A little indie one called Drop of Poison wasn't too bad too.

I may have to have another go at House of Hell as it is quite a vicious one. Creature of Havoc was one of the hardest with its RNG opening sequence where you have to make every choice by dice roll and hit a prescribed route to get lut of it (plus combat of course).
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.