The all-new Premier League thread Page 7611

  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 May 2018 17:30:45 12,474 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I feel like it's a win/win.

    On the one hand he's a hot prospect and clearly highly regarded by other hot young things like Pep and Poch, so could well be brilliant. Plus obviously he knows Arsenal.

    On the other hand if he fails it'll be a relatively low-cost sacking unlike Ancelotti or whoever, and it won't do too much damage to him either as it's so early in his career. And better to tarnish his Arsenal reputation than a proper legend like Viera or Henry.
  • THFourteen 15 May 2018 17:33:33 49,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal

    I'd agree with that.

    Fuck me did i just say that!?

    Also unlike Allegri, there IS more of a possibility however unlikely that someone like Arteta would spend more than 3 years at AFC.

    Edited by THFourteen at 17:34:37 15-05-2018
  • Kay 15 May 2018 17:35:32 19,726 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Seems so. Massive gamble, but fits with the structure and current budget. Can he do worse than 6th?
    I can see it backfiring spectacularly. There's the obvious fact that this his first manager job, but even putting aside the inexperience, from the things he's said about his coaching style, even if he does maintain the team's performance levels, I really can't see things being that much different under him than they were under Wenger. Maybe he's learnt a few things from Pep and can genuinely add something new and exciting, but I remain unconvinced.

    I do like the idea of him being our manager, and I'm sure he has what it takes to become a good coach someday. I'm just not sure now is the right time.
  • TheSaint 15 May 2018 17:53:48 18,004 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sol Campbell is going to be raging that Arteta is walking straight into Arsenal as his first job in management.
  • Dougs 15 May 2018 17:55:35 86,861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    He'd have a point if he was working as a coach somewhere too.
  • Deleted user 15 May 2018 17:56:15
    THFourteen wrote:
    @You-can-call-me-kal

    I'd agree with that.

    Fuck me did i just say that!?

    Also unlike Allegri, there IS more of a possibility however unlikely that someone like Arteta would spend more than 3 years at AFC.
    Until Barca call him
  • SuperCoolEskimo 15 May 2018 18:14:52 11,359 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Sky reporting Chelsea to make a move for Poch when Conte leaves. I imagine that would be a very short conversation consisting of the words no thanks.
    I’m surprised Poch’s quotes on the weekend haven’t made more headlines. When asked about his future as Spurs manager he said something along the lines of ‘today I am the coach, you never know what tomorrow brings’.

    I can see Madrid going for him if they lose the CL final, perhaps even if they win it. He’s clearly unhappy at Levy tightening the finances and that won’t change with the new stadium, and they’ll do well to keep their current team together on the low wages they’re currently on, let alone splash out what he wants on new signings.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 May 2018 18:15:50 12,474 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I still can’t really see why Allegri would choose Arsenal over Juve, which is presumably why that move isn’t happening.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 May 2018 18:19:48 12,474 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Sky reporting Chelsea to make a move for Poch when Conte leaves. I imagine that would be a very short conversation consisting of the words no thanks.
    I’m surprised Poch’s quotes on the weekend haven’t made more headlines. When asked about his future as Spurs manager he said something along the lines of ‘today I am the coach, you never know what tomorrow brings’.

    I can see Madrid going for him if they lose the CL final, perhaps even if they win it. He’s clearly unhappy at Levy tightening the finances and that won’t change with the new stadium, and they’ll do well to keep their current team together on the low wages they’re currently on, let alone splash out what he wants on new signings.
    More reading of verbatim. Less false paraphrasing of sensationalist headlines.
  • H1ggyLTD 15 May 2018 18:20:07 10,479 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Because London and challenge.
  • LionheartDJH 15 May 2018 19:41:43 20,233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why would Poch leave Spurs apart from getting paid more? He's built an excellent side there and surely things will push on with the move to the new stadium.

    Tenure of Classico and Chelsea managers is famously short and doesn't allow for the growing of a team or improvement of young players that Poch has done at Spurs and Southampton.
  • Frogofdoom 15 May 2018 19:47:31 10,126 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Totally see why he would go to Real, can't see why he would Chelsea.
  • Deleted user 15 May 2018 19:49:44
    He could win a league title with Madrid. Something he'll never do at Spurs.
  • robc84 15 May 2018 19:50:24 12,856 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think Utd when Mourinho leaves is the obvious move for him (assuming he doesn't get what he wants at Spurs).
  • GoatApocalypse 15 May 2018 20:20:52 4,488 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Excellent long-read on Jürgen Klopp by Reds fan Melissa Reddy:

    https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/the-inside-story-of-how-jurgen-klopp-weathered-the-worst-to-lead-liverpool-to-the-champions-league-final-178445
  • Dougs 15 May 2018 20:22:39 86,861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Totally see why he would go to Real, can't see why he would Chelsea.
    Unless Abramovich chucks bundles of cash at it again.

    Speaking of Spurs, some good photos on the telegraph website showing the stadium development. Coming along... What's the word on whether it'll be ready? Playing a few away games first to make sure?
  • Dougs 15 May 2018 20:23:34 86,861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @GoatApocalypse do you not have a Liverpool group for such things?
  • Boriska 15 May 2018 20:25:08 802 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    Why would Poch leave Spurs apart from getting paid more?
    To win.
  • Boriska 15 May 2018 20:33:16 802 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The nepotism in football is unreal, Giggsy Wiggsy, Sol and all the British PFM's think they're entitled to a top job without having gone and got some experience at a smaller club. Not sure what Arteta has done to earn consideration. If we can't afford Allegri and the other big names we've been linked to, or they don't want to come there's plenty of smaller names that have actually managed a club and have some relevant criteria to be judged off. Still, he's aging really well and will look dead sexy in one of those grey cardigans.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 May 2018 20:40:00 12,474 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Asistant coach at a big team to head coach at a mid table team is a pretty standard path.
  • GoatApocalypse 15 May 2018 20:41:03 4,488 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    @GoatApocalypse do you not have a Liverpool group for such things?
    [redacted]

    Edited by GoatApocalypse at 20:41:43 15-05-2018
  • Baihu1983 15 May 2018 20:52:38 10,418 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Totally see why he would go to Real, can't see why he would Chelsea.
    Unless Abramovich chucks bundles of cash at it again.

    Speaking of Spurs, some good photos on the telegraph website showing the stadium development. Coming along... What's the word on whether it'll be ready? Playing a few away games first to make sure?


    Was something a little while back saying they had asked to play the first few weeks away as it won't be ready for the start of the season
  • DakeyrasUK 15 May 2018 21:22:12 1,998 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @GoatApocalypse Wow, so informative into the working behind the scenes.

    Thanks for sharing, sure I'm biased but would enjoy reading such a good article about most managers.

    He really does deserve credit for how well we have done in Europe since he arrived, especially with the Coutinho sagas!
  • DakeyrasUK 15 May 2018 21:24:49 1,998 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    @GoatApocalypse do you not have a Liverpool group for such things?
    Why should such an in depth behind the scenes article only be viewed by liverpool fans? Would love to read about other top managers in such a fashion.

    Would also be a real shame for it not to get better exposure as that is a truly great article (on football) beats the shit out of any article from Phil McNulty or what ever the bbc chap is called.
  • FromTheHalfWayLine 15 May 2018 21:48:37 294 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Addyb_V2 wrote:
    He could win a league title with Madrid. Something he'll never do at Spurs.
    Even a fucking moron could win with a team like Real Madrid. Send them your CV.

    Edited by FromTheHalfWayLine at 21:48:56 15-05-2018
  • Frogofdoom 15 May 2018 21:53:46 10,126 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ooh touchy.
  • the_milkybar_kid 16 May 2018 10:06:00 7,611 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fat Sam has somehow been pushed out the door. I can see him ending up at Stoke. weep.

    Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 10:06:43 16-05-2018
  • THFourteen 16 May 2018 10:07:47 49,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He’ll have a chance at a big club next. Probably spurs.
  • X201 16 May 2018 10:29:22 18,626 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Fat Sam has somehow been pushed out the door. I can see him ending up at Stoke. weep.
    It's probably for the best, if he turned up at West Brom even Wolves fans would feel sorry for them
  • Deleted user 16 May 2018 10:37:56
    THFourteen wrote:
    He’ll have a chance at a big club next. Probably spurs.
    but you said 'big club'
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.