Following The all-new Premier League thread Page 7921

• SolidSCB 14 May 2019 19:32:13 11,325 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He's got the advantage of not being Harry Kane, so he can just go about his business there out of the spotlight.

Sort of player they should be going for, and the sort of club he should be joining. I think he'll do well.
  • Dougs 14 May 2019 19:33:25 89,892 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sessegnon is a cracking player imo. For LB or LWF?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 May 2019 19:48:07 16,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Sessegnon is hyped mainly because he's young and English. Some potential there but the cost is eye watering considering he's done fuck all.

I probably said the same sorts of things about Bale so I'm not to be trusted
    I mean, he was in the Championship team of the season at 17 and 18, and had a Euro under 19s medal. Thatís about as much as an 19 year old can expect to achieve really.

Iíd rather spend £25m-£30m on players like that than double or triple the amount on big names who want £300k a week. All our best signings have been young players with potential. If Poch can get Sissoko up to the standard heís now at its exciting to this what he could do with that kind of raw talent.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 May 2019 19:48:46 16,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Sessegnon is a cracking player imo. For LB or LWF?
    LWB I imagine.
  • robc84 14 May 2019 19:54:56 13,683 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If we did sign him, I wonder who weíd move on. Heard a lot about Rose leaving, which would be a real shame. He is a great player at his best and always gives 100%.
  • GoatApocalypse 14 May 2019 19:55:17 5,768 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sessegnon is brilliant and he'd be annoyingly good at Spurs.
  • robc84 14 May 2019 19:57:18 13,683 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Itís CM that worries me at the moment. Winks and Sissoko have been great, but our cover is lacking. Wanyama seems broken and Dier has been poor this year (and injured a lot).
  • nickthegun 14 May 2019 20:00:17 78,293 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sessegnon was one of the best if not the best player I saw last year and it's a tough league to look good in.

Hopefully it's not his level because he does seem to have done fuck all this year, albeit thanks to the genius decision to recruit shit old players to take his position.
  • GoatApocalypse 14 May 2019 20:03:44 5,768 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The standard at the top clubs is so high that making signings to instantly improve the starting XI is so fucking tough. Squad development has to be planned years in advance and has to account for uncontrollable variables like players wanting to leave and long-term injuries. And that assumes a degree of managerial and "philosophical" stability.

Spurs have done ridiculously well developing players, but it feels like they need to go really long on someone like Ndombole. Please don't, I want him at Liverpool. But a game-changer that can donate games at both ends, a real leader.

Sign Pogba, basically.

Edited by GoatApocalypse at 20:07:38 14-05-2019
  • GoatApocalypse 14 May 2019 20:06:37 5,768 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @nickthegun

In the right team under the right manager, he'll flourish. No doubt in my mind. The same sort of raw talent as Sterling.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 May 2019 20:07:25 16,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Itís CM that worries me at the moment. Winks and Sissoko have been great, but our cover is lacking. Wanyama seems broken and Dier has been poor this year (and injured a lot).
    Itís a perennial challenge for us that we canít really afford world class strength in depth. I agree about Wanyama and Dier, but equally how many teams have better players than that sitting on their bench? Perhaps we can upgrade on Winks and Sissoko to have them as back up, but then theyíll leave or stop being as good (as Wanyama and Dier have).

I honestly donít know what the solution is but this is the problem we have in every position now, apart from perhaps the fullbacks. Our first 11 is as good as any. Itís depth where we struggle and unlike City/United/Chelsea and even Liverpool we just canít really have top players on our bench.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 May 2019 20:09:07 16,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BTW Iím increasingly of the view we should sell one of our top stars to finance a couple of big signings. Probably Eriksen.
  • GoatApocalypse 14 May 2019 20:09:31 5,768 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can have Lallana. I've told you this.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 May 2019 20:10:09 16,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I would. Him and Poch adore each other.
  • GoatApocalypse 14 May 2019 20:11:00 5,768 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal

What do you reckon you'd get for him? Where does he go?
  • GoatApocalypse 14 May 2019 20:12:35 5,768 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Would obviously swap Lallana for Eriksen btw
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 May 2019 20:14:53 16,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    @You-can-call-me-kal

What do you reckon you'd get for him? Where does he go?
    I think anything over £100m would be ace. And Madrid seem to want him. But thereís also talk of him signing a new contract which would be awesome too.
  • fontgeeksogood 14 May 2019 20:16:15 6,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Sessegnon is hyped mainly because he's young and English. Some potential there but the cost is eye watering considering he's done fuck all.

I mean, he was in the Championship team of the season at 17 and 18, and had a Euro under 19s medal. Thatís about as much as an 19 year old can expect to achieve really.
    Put that into context of the price, though, and think about a Continental LB. You'd want WAY more than being very good in the second tier
  • GoatApocalypse 14 May 2019 20:20:22 5,768 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's so much more than just a left-back, though.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 May 2019 20:25:13 16,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:

Put that into context of the price, though, and think about a Continental LB. You'd want WAY more than being very good in the second tier
    What continental left back?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 May 2019 20:27:53 16,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The ďheís hyped because heís young and EnglishĒ thing is slightly less meaningful as an argument given the levels our youth are reaching in international tournaments. Thereís a reason foreign teams are trying to sign them all up.

Heís so obviously got ridiculous potential. Heíll probably end up at City or Dortmund or something instead of us and then weíll be mocked for not signing him like with Sancho. Canít win.
  • fontgeeksogood 14 May 2019 20:31:59 6,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Okay. Nothing against him, hope he does really well, it is more the value question I guess, and how far the bar lowers in terms of realised potential for British players.

Not hating on him, or Spurs. Just at how fucked English football is, financially
  • nickthegun 14 May 2019 20:40:35 78,293 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, but on the other hand you always get 'If he was called Ryaninho, he'd be worth 50m and playing first team for United', so I think the bar for a season of promise is generally quite low (See Renato sanches for more details)

Edited by nickthegun at 20:40:57 14-05-2019
  • nickthegun 14 May 2019 20:42:19 78,293 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    And the odd situation that Lampard and Potter are in the frame for Brighton when they have, really, done fuck all this year.
  • JoelStinty 14 May 2019 20:45:25 7,989 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Although he hasn't set the league on fire, he still notched up 2 goals and 6 assists in the league this year which ain't half bad. The guy's potential is really high ,in today's market 25 million is a steal.

After the success of Maddison and Sancho (and in some ways Alli) expecting a few clubs to be sniffing round the likes of James, Mount, Aarons, Clarke etc.
  • Guff-Pipe 14 May 2019 20:49:55 570 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DakeyrasUK wrote:
    If this was the fans it would be bad taste, but the players? Stay classy city, stay classy...

https://thesportsrush.com/man-city-players-chant-about-liverpool-watch-man-city-players-sing-kompany-injured-salah-and-mock-sean-coxs-injury-post-pl-triumph/
    Not as classy as a coach bottling. :(
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 May 2019 20:52:02 16,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bayern offered £35m for Hudson-Odoi before heíd even made his PL debut. Itís not just a premium on English players for English teams. The new crop of English youth are genuinely good and worth a lot.
  • Syrette 14 May 2019 20:53:23 50,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Assumed Spurs would be back in for Grealish, depending on tonight's result.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 May 2019 21:00:56 16,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Quite likely Iíd have thought. Maddison and Wan-Bissaka would also fit the profile.
  • robc84 14 May 2019 21:06:35 13,683 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Itís a perennial challenge for us that we canít really afford world class strength in depth. I agree about Wanyama and Dier, but equally how many teams have better players than that sitting on their bench? Perhaps we can upgrade on Winks and Sissoko to have them as back up, but then theyíll leave or stop being as good (as Wanyama and Dier have).

I honestly donít know what the solution is but this is the problem we have in every position now, apart from perhaps the fullbacks. Our first 11 is as good as any. Itís depth where we struggle and unlike City/United/Chelsea and even Liverpool we just canít really have top players on our bench.
    I agree, itís a hard balance to find. When dembele left I was really worried about winks and Sissoko being our first choice pairing but they both did great. I canít believe there are still some spurs fans who donít rate Sissoko. He had to be in with a shout of being our player of the season.

Thing is, there are so many games and different formations played nowadays that even with 4 first team CMs all would get plenty of game time iím sure.

Like you say though, itís buying smart. Younger players that can develop into stars rather than ready made stars demanding to play every week. Itís a tough assignment though for sure.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.