Following The all-new Premier League thread Page 7923

• The-Bodybuilder 15 May 2019 16:03:47 17,644 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iwasexclusive wrote:
    The clear out at United has to be thorough and brutal. From the scouting and backroom personnel, remove remnants from Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho eras. They have collectively contributed to a confusing transfer policy: United have the largest group of flops in the Premier League.

From the team, the following players must be let go or sold on.

David De Gea - Sell if he does not sign a contract by July

Eric Bailly - Sell (error prone)
    Phil Jones - Sell (awful player)
    Marcos Rojo - Sell (injury prone)
    Ashley Young - Sell (good servant but past his best)
    Antonio Valencia - Leaving
    Matteo Darmian - Sell (average defender and useless going forwards)

Paul Pogba - Sell (talented but drama queen)
    Jesse Lingard - Sell (lazy)
    Ander Herrera - Leaving (good midfielder)
    Nemanja Matic - Sell (absolutely crap, does nothing and fails to protect the defence)

Alexis Sánchez - Sell (all effort and no product)
    Romelu Lukaku - Sell (terrible first touch, terrible reading of the play, terrible one-on-one, terrible shooter, terrible, terrible, terrible)

Any team that plays Romelu Lukaku should be deducted 3 points immediately.
    That's pretty much your starting 11 and then some.

I'll take Bailly to Arsenal.
  • Frogofdoom 15 May 2019 16:16:59 12,989 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dont you already have an error prone defender who makes rash challenges unnecessarily?
  • DakeyrasUK 15 May 2019 17:14:01 2,676 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That is quite the clear out.... I don't disagree but feel it quite unlikely to clear that many out. Also think replacing that many first team players is quite likely to go horribly wrong.

Better to do it 4 or 5 a transfer window. Work out who sticks and build a team around the style that suits the most best.

Easier said than done mind. I don't see united competing next season in any meaningful way, but depending on transfer business hold the right to completely change my opinion on that.
  • Frogofdoom 15 May 2019 17:15:26 12,989 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nah we wont be doing nearly that much, I think 5 at most.

Next season is already a write off I think, who kkows what the year after may have in store though!
  • SolidSCB 15 May 2019 17:17:24 10,998 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The year after next is our year!
  • Frogofdoom 15 May 2019 17:21:08 12,989 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Next year is our year was taken so we cant have that :D

Heard one of our players say "we go again" the other day and thought he should have been shot for it.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 17:22:34 15-05-2019
  • DakeyrasUK 15 May 2019 17:22:24 2,676 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah but next year, the year after next year will be next year which as you say is already taken! :p
  • Frogofdoom 15 May 2019 17:23:14 12,989 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fuck it, premier league champions 2087.
  • General_Martok 15 May 2019 17:24:45 580 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Didn't Solskjaer say it will take 3 years at least? So it's the year after next year and then the year after that?

Or in reality sometime in the future but not any time soon.

Suppose that doesn't have the same ring to it. 😝
  • Joyless_Man 15 May 2019 17:26:54 142 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    Who would you keep?

Rashford, De Gea....

Shaw looks pretty average though he has time on his side. That Dalot looks pretty decent. Fred I would say deserves another season as some players take a while to settle, but he looked pretty rotten at times.

Can't think of anyone else who is worth a mention..

Lindelof actually. He has been fairly solid.
  • fontgeeksogood 15 May 2019 17:37:14 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I can't believe I'm having to come up with these ideas, because they seem obvious. Sack OGS and give it Pogba
  • SolidSCB 15 May 2019 17:37:57 10,998 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    De Gea, Lindelof, Rashford

The rest I would fire into the sun.
  • SolidSCB 15 May 2019 17:40:55 10,998 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I mean that's probably a bit harsh on Dalot and Shaw.

Lukaku is limited as fuck but I don't question the guy's desire.

The rest though. Ugh.
  • retro74 15 May 2019 17:42:14 2,837 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well Jones and Smalling are going nowhere as they've just signed new contracts.

No PL clubs would sign either of them and no Championship clubs could afford their wages

I'd get rid of Shaw if we could get decent money for him. Probably Martial also as he's likely to attract decent interest

Lindelof has been good and looks to have some leadership qualities. With a top class CB next to him he'd be fine

Pogba I'm undecided on. All the potential in the world with none of the production most of the time. Surround him with quality and he'd be great, surround him with dross and he cannot be arsed
  • SolidSCB 15 May 2019 17:47:25 10,998 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pogba has incredible technique but he's far too easy to play out of games. It isn't that he's not arsed, he's just not a commanding midfielder, needs constant protection and if he doesn't get that then he becomes anonymous. It's not a coincidence that he was at his best with Herrera doing the busy work around him.

Martial's attitude stinks.
  • Trowel 15 May 2019 17:49:23 22,485 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    Surround him with quality and he'd be great
    That'll be his epitaph.
  • fontgeeksogood 15 May 2019 17:51:35 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yes, I'm sure World Cup winner Paul Pogba will be plagued by his mild failure in a shit, shambolically managed Man Utd side
  • SolidSCB 15 May 2019 17:52:46 10,998 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Definitely a player who can't do it on a wet Wednesday night at Stoke.
  • oceanmotion 15 May 2019 18:41:16 17,358 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I never knew Lingard is almost 27 years old. Thought he was some upcoming youngster and that's why he got so much leeway for being shit.

Players at Man U get insane contracts for being shit or old for some reason.
  • greg_wha 15 May 2019 18:47:25 1,297 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @oceanmotion

He only came through as a starter (ish) at 24/5 under van Gaal.
    He’s never scored 15/20 a season but he got away with it for a 18 month spell of really important winners kicked off by his FA Cup winning goal.
    He’s been absolutely shit since the World Cup, though.
  • oceanmotion 15 May 2019 18:55:17 17,358 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ah, English player banking it for life. Typical, name fits attitude.

Any bets Man U buy a usually crocked Bale at 600 grand a week thinking it will solve everything.
  • greg_wha 15 May 2019 19:12:08 1,297 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No user oceanmotion. I will not take that bet.
  • Iwasexclusive 15 May 2019 19:33:56 42 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK Sometimes when a player doesn't do well at a club, you can put it down to poor management, not getting chances or bad luck with injuries. Every United player I've marked for sale has had chances or been managed by 2/3 managers but they have failed due to a lack of desire and/or talent.

It's easy to identify these flops and sell them. The major problem at United is the talent to find talent does not exist. The transfer policy is chaotic and random. For that, Ed Woodward needs to be shifted, and new scouts and negotiators need to be hired.

I will have no problem United fielding youth players next season alongside Chris Smalling and Juan Mata as captain. At least Chris Smalling has had outstanding seasons unlike Bailly and Jones.
  • DakeyrasUK 15 May 2019 19:57:43 2,676 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Iwasexclusive fair enough if you don't want them replaced by new signings.

I still think that your wants are not going to be met, but now I understand them more they are indeed more likely.
  • SolidSCB 15 May 2019 20:04:17 10,998 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A successful transfer window for us this season will be getting as many of these twats off the books as we can.

If we managed to ship Sanchez off to China I think I'd be as happy as any signing we've ever made.
  • Trowel 15 May 2019 20:31:40 22,485 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My fondest momory of Sanchez at United is the time he took his dogs for a walk on Llandudno pier. Amazing.
  • DakeyrasUK 16 May 2019 09:24:50 2,676 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This articulates well the issue with the city response to the video of their staff and players singing along/condoning the song usually sung by fans regarding Liverpool fans being battered in the streets etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/15/manchester-city-defence-battered-song-misguided-liverpool?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1557962345
  • Dougs 16 May 2019 09:34:28 88,895 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    A successful transfer window for us this season will be getting as many of these twats off the books as we can.

That sounds familiar! We are probably looking at 5 or 6 out ideally, 2-3 in with the rest covered by Academy players.
  • SolidSCB 16 May 2019 09:42:28 10,998 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As it is it sounds like we're in for a fun summer of chasing Sancho fruitlessly, baulking at the asking price for Koulibaly pretending he's not much of an improvement on what we've got, and will probably be stupid enough to put some sort of offer in for Bale when the rest go tits up.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 May 2019 10:25:30 15,324 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Koulibaly is a great player, but he's already at Napoli. If he's ambitious his next step will be Madrid/Juve/City/Barca etc. He doesn't need to go to another club trying to make the jump up.

I just feel like United can't get their heads around what kind of club they currently are. They should be looking at the likes of Lewis Cook, Gibbs-White, Jason Clarke, Reece James, even Hudson-Odoi. They need the next generation of talent looking to make a mark and help bring them up. What's happened with Pogba and Sanchez should be a sign that if those 'top' players do want to come to United, it's likely for the wrong reasons.

There's so much young talent around that's far better value than these massive fee/wages players United keep going for. Even Sancho is so obvious and will be so expensive now. Why not try and get Reiss Nelson instead? United is still a step-up over Arsenal.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.