The all-new Premier League thread Page 7924

• nickthegun 16 May 2019 10:34:50 77,799 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Lol @ RLC doing his Achilles before the final. This is exactly what the hard fought winter break will be.
  • Trowel 16 May 2019 10:44:19 22,531 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Looks like Citeh will be having a summer spending spree on more lawyers:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48292248

This is a good write up of what (alledgedly) happened last time, when they were fined in 2014:
    https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2018/nicolas-sarkozy-and-manchester-citys-great-ffp-escape/
  • Graxlar_v3 16 May 2019 10:48:36 6,715 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Manchester City say they are "disappointed, but regrettably not surprised" after being referred to Uefa's financial control body adjudicatory chamber.
    Surely, if you are innocent you would be surprised?
  • THFourteen 16 May 2019 10:58:30 51,929 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48285632

More VAR shenanigans. Ultimately i dont think VAR is going to give people what they really want.
  • Dougs 16 May 2019 11:00:23 89,122 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Why not try and get Reiss Nelson instead? United is still a step-up over Arsenal.
    Looking forward to seeing him make the step up into the first team next year. The loan has gone mostly well I think, but not an outright success. Same for Emile Smith-Rowe and Joe Willock. I think all will get quite a bit of game time next year.
  • Dougs 16 May 2019 11:05:32 89,122 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48285632

More VAR shenanigans. Ultimately i dont think VAR is going to give people what they really want.
    Nope, it's going to be an absolute dog's dinner
  • SolidSCB 16 May 2019 11:18:18 11,093 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Koulibaly is a great player, but he's already at Napoli. If he's ambitious his next step will be Madrid/Juve/City/Barca etc. He doesn't need to go to another club trying to make the jump up.

I just feel like United can't get their heads around what kind of club they currently are. They should be looking at the likes of Lewis Cook, Gibbs-White, Jason Clarke, Reece James, even Hudson-Odoi. They need the next generation of talent looking to make a mark and help bring them up. What's happened with Pogba and Sanchez should be a sign that if those 'top' players do want to come to United, it's likely for the wrong reasons.

There's so much young talent around that's far better value than these massive fee/wages players United keep going for. Even Sancho is so obvious and will be so expensive now. Why not try and get Reiss Nelson instead? United is still a step-up over Arsenal.
    I agree with pretty much all of this and that is why things are so frustrating at the moment, as it doesn't look like things are going to change despite the obviousness of the situation.

Us as fans probably have to take a small portion of the blame too. I'll be the first person to admit that it made me giddy when we were signing Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez etc. It's hard not to get caught up in it, but the instant success model clearly isn't going to work.

If we finished 5th or 6th next season it wouldn't be the end of the world as long as it looked like we had direction, played some decent football and had a group of players that actually give a shit about playing for the team. But even that is probably a bit much to ask for in the space of a single transfer window.
  • SolidSCB 16 May 2019 11:33:25 11,093 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another facepalm to add to the list;

Our new kits have just been revealed, paying homage to our 98/99 treble-winning season.

Paying particular attention to the goalkeeper's kit, which is "in a tiger pattern featuring a dark purple two-tone design, referencing the top worn by Peter Schmeichel during the 98/99 season".

Yes, I distinctly remember Schmeichel doing cartwheels at the Nou Camp in purple, and it definitely isn't the GK kit from the trophyless season before that.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 May 2019 12:19:56 15,723 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Us as fans probably have to take a small portion of the blame too. I'll be the first person to admit that it made me giddy when we were signing Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez etc. It's hard not to get caught up in it, but the instant success model clearly isn't going to work.
    I mean fans are idiots. Right now on every Spurs forum 90% of people will be moaning about us potentially signing the likes of Sessegnon, Grealish, Maddison, Wan-Bissaka etc, and instead are demanding Ndombele, Rabiot, De Ligt and Bale.

That's fans. We're allowed to have ideas above our station. Those in control of the club are the ones that need a meaningful strategy and sense of realism.

BTW obviously I'd love us to sign some of those latter players I'd mentioned and perhaps we will now that we've gently pulled a seat up to the top table, but I'm still all about our slow and steady approach. It's clearly working.
  • fontgeeksogood 16 May 2019 12:28:09 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Rabiot in the PL would be ace
  • fontgeeksogood 16 May 2019 12:29:54 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Although he's a massive dick
  • SolidSCB 16 May 2019 12:40:16 11,093 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I mean fans are idiots. Right now on every Spurs forum 90% of people will be moaning about us potentially signing the likes of Sessegnon, Grealish, Maddison, Wan-Bissaka etc, and instead are demanding Ndombele, Rabiot, De Ligt and Bale.

That's fans. We're allowed to have ideas above our station. Those in control of the club are the ones that need a meaningful strategy and sense of realism.

BTW obviously I'd love us to sign some of those latter players I'd mentioned and perhaps we will now that we've gently pulled a seat up to the top table, but I'm still all about our slow and steady approach. It's clearly working.
    You're right, and it obviously isn't our fault. But we've probably not helped matters. We've been far too easily suckered in by big signing made almost with a secondary agenda of distracting us from the shortcomings on the pitch. Sanchez in particular was such a feelgood signing just for the sake of it. "Hey look at us, we beat City to a player! How great are we?!". Obviously in the moment it's exciting and you try and convince yourself it's a sign of things to come. But look at us now.
  • Dougs 16 May 2019 12:45:22 89,122 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Has more than his fair share of issues apparently.
  • SolidSCB 16 May 2019 12:47:02 11,093 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He's got 'training with the reserves' written all over him.
  • fontgeeksogood 16 May 2019 12:52:32 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    There's already a locker with his name on at Carrington
  • Dougs 16 May 2019 12:56:24 89,122 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/16/nigel-callaghan-watford-1984-fa-cup-final-cancer-dj

Sobering, remember him well!
  • Iwasexclusive 16 May 2019 13:20:21 49 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ed Woodward has spoken through a financial statement. He is taking action (phew).

For a club who haven't won anything meaningful in 2 seasons, they are doing ok. I wonder why...

"Manchester Unitedís Third Quarter Revenues were up 3.4% to £152.1m with a 94% rise in operating profits to £14.2m. The clubís debt has remained pretty static at £301.7m a rise of £0.4m over the year."

United have also unveiled a new kit marking the 1999 treble season. You can buy the shirt and shorts for £100 although it cost £10 to make in Bangladesh.

I'm going to try putting two and two together here.

I'm in a dilemma. Do I buy Dragon's Dogma on Nintendo Switch for £24.99 or Manchester United Home Shorts 2019-20 for £34.95? I can't afford the shirt. Actually, the kids short is £10 cheaper. I can try squeezing into that.

Edited by Iwasexclusive at 13:27:10 16-05-2019
  • fontgeeksogood 16 May 2019 13:36:29 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    They shouldn't even do replica kits for adults
  • Graxlar_v3 16 May 2019 13:40:49 6,715 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    They shouldn't even do replica kits for adults
    Wont someone think of John Terry
  • THFourteen 16 May 2019 14:45:42 51,929 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Has more than his fair share of issues apparently.
    Ozil replacement then
  • SnackPlissken 16 May 2019 14:46:45 970 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Ozil said he isn't leaving.
  • THFourteen 16 May 2019 15:01:12 51,929 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Well lets be clear, Ozil's AGENT has said he isn't leaving to make it look like he's a good egg, in any transfer situation, he was pushed and didn't ask to go.

Fabregas is still staying too you know
  • Trowel 16 May 2019 15:04:35 22,531 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's emerged today that Sheffield United took a £3m loan from Osama Bin Laden's family. ... They'll fit into the Premier League nicely.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/05/16/sheffield-united-funded-3m-loan-osama-bin-ladens-family-court/
  • fontgeeksogood 16 May 2019 15:15:13 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Norwich of the North. They've always been cunts
  • SnackPlissken 16 May 2019 15:52:19 970 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Well lets be clear, Ozil's AGENT has said he isn't leaving to make it look like he's a good egg, in any transfer situation, he was pushed and didn't ask to go.

Fabregas is still staying too you know
    Ban bet. Ozil stays.
  • Trowel 16 May 2019 16:14:49 22,531 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iwasexclusive wrote:
    Ed Woodward has spoken through a financial statement. He is taking action (phew).

For a club who haven't won anything meaningful in 2 seasons, they are doing ok. I wonder why...

"Manchester Unitedís Third Quarter Revenues were up 3.4% to £152.1m with a 94% rise in operating profits to £14.2m. The clubís debt has remained pretty static at £301.7m a rise of £0.4m over the year."

United have also unveiled a new kit marking the 1999 treble season. You can buy the shirt and shorts for £100 although it cost £10 to make in Bangladesh.

I'm going to try putting two and two together here.

I'm in a dilemma. Do I buy Dragon's Dogma on Nintendo Switch for £24.99 or Manchester United Home Shorts 2019-20 for £34.95? I can't afford the shirt. Actually, the kids short is £10 cheaper. I can try squeezing into that.
    Sky were talking about a conference call with investors, where the only two questions asked of Woodward were about (a) a new app, and (b) the future of European competition.

i.e. it's just a money machine.
  • Frogofdoom 16 May 2019 16:17:37 13,216 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's generally what investor calls are about.
  • Trowel 16 May 2019 16:29:05 22,531 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've been on enough investor calls to know that the overall company outlook is usually the number 2 topic, after the latest results. A new app doesn't usually come up.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 May 2019 16:29:11 15,723 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Who would buy Ozil?
  • Trowel 16 May 2019 16:29:50 22,531 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That's topic number 3 on the Arsenal investor calls.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.