Following The all-new Premier League thread Page 7962

• TheSaint 13 Jul 2019 11:59:54 18,667 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I like the authentic caveat in that Bradford statement.
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Jul 2019 12:16:56 6,541 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    No. Pochs always wanted him to be a CB but he was happy to develop him as a midfielder as thatís what Dier wanted.
    Famous kit bag shitter Steve Sedgley was similar for us when he joined from youse. Absolutely sublime when he played as a sweeper but hated it and was adamant he was a midfielder (which he wasn't as effective as)
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Jul 2019 12:19:21 16,424 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I remember seeing him in Enfield Town shopping centre when I was a kid.
  • Trowel 13 Jul 2019 12:26:26 22,633 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Why isnít Lookman getting love at Everton? He looks so talented.
    We all love him when he gets playing time, but there's something not right behind the scenes. His "attitude" is the most common criticism, but that feels like the symptom not the cause. I've no doubt he'll smash the Bundesliga again, then come back to the PL to haunt us, but right now he it seems he wants to leave and we want to sell. Cracking player.
  • ChiefGB 13 Jul 2019 12:33:00 11,088 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember seeing him in Enfield Town shopping centre when I was a kid.
    Was he shitting in a kit bag?
  • Jono62 13 Jul 2019 13:48:26 22,599 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Villa have been busy this window:

In

Frederic Guilbert - RB (Caen)
    Jota Peleteiro - RW (Birmingham)
    Anwar El Ghazi - LW (Lille)
    Kortney Hause - CB/LB (Wolves)
    Matt Targett - LB (Southampton)
    Wesley Moraes - ST (Club Brugge)
    Tyrone Mings - CB (Bournemouth)
    Ezri Konsa - CB/DM (Brentford)
    BjŲrn Engels - CB (Reims) To be announced today apparently.
    Douglas Luiz - CM (Man City) Subject to work permit.

We're also interested in either Heaton or Dubravka for the goalkeeping position.

We did release a shit load of players

Out:

Mile Jedinak
    Alan Hutton
    Tommy Elphick
    Albert Adomah
    Glenn Whelan
    Ritchie De Laet
    Mark Bunn
    Micah Richards
    Ross McCormack
    Gary Gardner

Good thing we are trying to get the transfers done early.
  • Dougs 13 Jul 2019 15:48:42 89,929 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    There's only 3 weeks left of the transfer window though (closes before the season starts), which is why gooners are getting more than a little twitchy!
  • nickthegun 13 Jul 2019 17:16:48 78,322 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    *List*
    You obviously know your outs better than I do, but isn't there a chance that, with that turnover, you're going to going to Fulham it?
  • RGeefe 13 Jul 2019 17:31:31 371 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:
    *List*
    You obviously know your outs better than I do, but isn't there a chance that, with that turnover, you're going to going to Fulham it?
    That is quite a high turnover.

If they've gelled over pre-season then fair enough but I'd rather have a squad together that is solid enough with 3-4 additions than what looks to be 6, at least, new first team players.

Defo a hint of Fulham there
  • Jono62 13 Jul 2019 18:38:39 22,599 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Guardian did a piece on it

Are Aston Villa repeating mistakes Fulham made last summer? Not at all

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2019/jul/11/aston-villa-mistakes-fulham-summer-transfer-window-signings?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
  • Jono62 13 Jul 2019 18:48:15 22,599 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    El Ghazi, Hauze and Mings were part of the team on loan so it was about making them permanent. We wanted Tuanzebe and Abraham's, but the clubs didn't want to sell so we got in Moraes and Konsa. Targett is an improvement on Taylor.

Plus they are going through pre-season which will make a big difference.
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Jul 2019 18:59:07 6,541 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Norwich won't do much in signings. Their business model seems to be based on one season of PL every 3-5 years to clear debts, without spending much nor committing to long contracts.

I kind of applaud it, albeit it feels quite defeatist. But that's just the reality of modern football finance, plus they were in a bad way before the last time they went up
  • lordofthedunce 13 Jul 2019 19:19:30 576 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, Norwich just don't want to go bankrupt. They have played decent enough football since Farke arrived but I'm not too confident they'll stay up, way too shaky at the back.
    Regardless, it's at least entertaining watching your side yo-yo between the divisions. As long as they play entertaining footie that's enough for me.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Jul 2019 15:55:55 16,424 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    United agree £80m fee for Maguire. Medical tomorrow.

I can see why heís expensive, but thatís about £20m too much.
  • Dougs 14 Jul 2019 16:19:14 89,929 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    For £80m they could pick pretty much any CB in the world. I like Maguire but he ain't that good.
  • Frogofdoom 14 Jul 2019 16:19:41 13,684 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah it is but it's either that or not get him.

At least we have attempted to fix 2 problem areas this summer, still so many need doing though.

You are right though Dougs, we could pick them but they probably wouldn't come where as at least he seems keen.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 16:20:47 14-07-2019
  • Blackmarsh63 14 Jul 2019 16:34:20 2,508 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Magiure costing more than van Dijk :lol: Poles apart ability wise. Madness .
  • Frogofdoom 14 Jul 2019 16:38:28 13,684 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looks like it might be 60 plus 20 million addons.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Jul 2019 16:39:17 16,424 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Itís yet another super expensive United signing that doesnít seem to demonstrate any deep knowledge of the wider market. Perhaps thatís their best option but itís incredibly hard to believe they couldnít get two players that represent better value if they had better scouts. You canít see Pep or Koop paying that for Maguire. And I donít buy the notion that Man U arenít a big draw anymore so have to pay more.
  • Dougs 14 Jul 2019 16:44:44 89,929 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Yeah it is but it's either that or not get him.

At least we have attempted to fix 2 problem areas this summer, still so many need doing though.

You are right though Dougs, we could pick them but they probably wouldn't come where as at least he seems keen.
    The benefit is that a) you don't have to worry about money and b) he's PL ready, so why not. The market is mental though
  • Syrette 14 Jul 2019 16:49:16 50,297 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    £45m on Lewis Dunk!

Now that's overpaying, even if at 27 and a half he's in his prime.
  • Frogofdoom 14 Jul 2019 16:49:53 13,684 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah it is, but I dont see it ever going down again. It will probably balance out for a few years fairly soon though.

It will certainly make players more wary of signing a long contract soon though as clubs just refuse to sell unless its top money paid now.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Jul 2019 16:54:01 16,424 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    £45m on Lewis Dunk!

Now that's overpaying, even if at 27 and a half he's in his prime.
    It is, but if you think of it as Dunk plus £40m for Maguire that suddenly sounds like a great deal.
  • Frogofdoom 14 Jul 2019 17:03:14 13,684 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has it gone up to 85 million already?
  • deez 14 Jul 2019 17:16:26 275 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    45m... I guess we can't turn down half our stadium cost for dunk...
  • Iwasexclusive 14 Jul 2019 17:34:21 76 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Harry Maguire is closer in "ability" to Phil Jones than to Van Dijk. If United have paid 80m then Ed Woodward is a fool.

The only silver lining may be it spurs on Phil Jones and especially Chris Smalling to prove their worth. Chris Smalling has been and can be outstanding.

I find it extraordinary that clubs like United with their well financed scouting teams are incapable of identifying good defenders for a few million then wasting scores of millions on likes of Maguire. Surely, the point of scouting professionals is to find players as opposed to grab a ready made player from another team for exorbitant fees. Any 2-bit fan can do the later.

Edited by Iwasexclusive at 17:40:16 14-07-2019
  • JYM60 14 Jul 2019 17:34:22 17,783 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Looks like Ole is trying to form a United team like those of his playing time (except not as good), with a British core.

Which is gonna be unreal expensive in the current market.
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Jul 2019 17:44:48 22,736 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    El Ghazi, Hauze and Mings were part of the team on loan so it was about making them permanent. We wanted Tuanzebe and Abraham's, but the clubs didn't want to sell so we got in Moraes and Konsa. Targett is an improvement on Taylor.

Plus they are going through pre-season which will make a big difference.
    El Gazhi, Hauze and Mings were all very important during the run-in. El Ghazi especially looked high quality in the last ten games. I think he may be a big player for Villa.

I must admit it certainly does seem like a big influx but they seem to be bought for specific positions and style of play. Mings may have been overspending but he seems crucial to the dressing room and fans. Added to which he has prem experience which will help.

I think there still needs to be a couple more signings, assuming it continues as it has.
  • Boriska 14 Jul 2019 18:14:52 888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm happy with our signings, we've truly outsmarted the market this summer and you can't ask for more.
  • Dougs 15 Jul 2019 13:25:00 89,929 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sounds like we've matched Spurs' bud for Saliba, now down to him unless there's a bidding war.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.