Following The all-new Premier League thread Page 8077

• General_Martok 7 Oct 2019 13:06:42 878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Keep making excuses for him. The lack of service is an issue but when he has the ball his decision making is poor. His finishing isnt good enough and his dribbling isn't as good as he thinks it is. He shouldnt be starting a club that has top 4 aspirations.

Sadly we look more like relegation candidates than top 4 at the moment. How Ole has survived a run of results like this is baffling, if we were losing with any sort of game plan and sense of direction it would be fine. We arent though and look utterly clueless.
    We sack Ole, then what? Do the same dance again with someone else. Rinse and repeat endlessly till we get to league one?
  • General_Martok 7 Oct 2019 13:07:41 878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Let's have a relegation battle with Ole at least. Then sack him when we get relegated or survive. :p
  • fontgeeksogood 7 Oct 2019 13:08:38 7,025 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    League One is awesome TBH, you should definitely try it
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2019 13:22:16 14,244 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @General_Martok bring in a coach that actually looks like he has a clue on what he is doing. I'm all for giving someone time if it looks like there is an end goal but he is clueless.

Take Poch at Spurs or Klopp at Liverpool, they didnt exactly start at 100 miles per hour but you could see there was progress towards something. With Ole there is none of that and the players on the pitch look utterly clueless. The majority of this squad finished 2nd a few years back and now you are accepting a run of form like this.
  • General_Martok 7 Oct 2019 13:24:59 878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Why is Solskjaer clueless? We' haven't given him a year, we haven't even given him more than 1 transfer window.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2019 13:35:27 14,244 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He has had close to a year and we haven't won away since he signed his long term contact. Can you honestly see a gameplan or a style of play in what's happening at the moment?
  • creepiest-lizard 7 Oct 2019 13:40:16 754 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @General_Martok
    90% of man u's performances under him have been terrible, including the PSG one that they somehow scraped through.
    I'm not a man u fan but I wouldn't be happy about winning games with only 30% of the ball.
    Thats when they did win the occasional game
  • its-H1ggyLTD 7 Oct 2019 13:47:31 215 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Plus he has no track record outside of utd either.
  • JYM60 7 Oct 2019 14:42:24 17,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    @General_Martok
    90% of man u's performances under him have been terrible, including the PSG one that they somehow scraped through.
    I'm not a man u fan but I wouldn't be happy about winning games with only 30% of the ball.
    Thats when they did win the occasional game
    And the ones we lose we have 70% of the ball. It is ridiculous, but I'm also against sacking again. I don't know if you can blame him for the cluelessness, I think the players are just really really poor. Like I would swap most of those who started yesterday for players from Newcastle, Palace, Norwich, any team.

We didn't look clueless against Chelsea. Unfortunately that 11 never played a game together since then, and we are now running with a team which only 4 played in that match! And now have a couple of teenagers on the bench.
  • nickthegun 7 Oct 2019 14:45:00 78,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think the possession stat is a bit misleading. From the few matches I've seen, you have high percentage stats because teams are happy to let you have the ball, knowing full well you are going to do fuck all with it.
  • Dougs 7 Oct 2019 14:46:55 90,576 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That sounds familiar.

Is the LFC game home or away? Home I assume?
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2019 14:47:50 14,244 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah it gets as far as the box and then its sideways or backwards. Cant believe we have fans who are happy to stick with a manager who hasnt won away since last February and has shown absolutely no sign of improving. If anything it's getting worse and you are going on about giving him to the end of the season. Even the streak of wins before the contract were on the whole lucky scrape throughs.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 14:49:38 07-10-2019
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2019 14:48:48 14,244 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Home Dougs.
  • General_Martok 7 Oct 2019 14:49:34 878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We have a squad made up of signings from 5 different first team managers, imagine how hard it is to get these players, bought in mind for different strategies, to work together cohesively for yet another strategy.

It's obvious that OGS is going for a counter-attack strategy to win games, teams know that now which is why we're getting found out. He needs to work with the players on alternatives and mitigating strategies that work against his. He needs time to do this.

In case you were wondering how many players have been by previous managers here you go:

AF 4
    DM 1
    JM 7
    LVG 4
    OGS 3
    MUFC 9

Edited by General_Martok at 14:50:12 07-10-2019
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2019 14:54:09 14,244 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You haven't given one reason as to why he might be the right person for the job yet.

As for the last bit, most managers have players made up of previous managers signings. To work out who signed who in the chelsea squad would probably take all day. Should he be allowed to replace the whole squad before he is judged. You need to separate the player from the manager, if he hadn't played for the club and you looked at his track record there is no way you would be standing by him.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 14:55:07 07-10-2019
  • General_Martok 7 Oct 2019 14:57:52 878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    You haven't given one reason as to why he might be the right person for the job yet.

As for the last bit, most managers have players made up of previous managers signings. To work out who signed who in the chelsea squad would probably take all day. Should he be allowed to replace the whole squad before he is judged. You need to separate the player from the manager, if he hadn't played for the club and you looked at his track record there is no way you would be standing by him.
    I haven't given a reason other than it's hard to build up a team from a squad made up for differing strategies because I don't have another.

What reason should we sack him for other than he hasn't been successful anywhere but Norway yet?
  • SolidSCB 7 Oct 2019 14:57:53 11,576 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know having a good system and players that fit it is what takes you over the line and wins you titles, but this idea that because the players have been bought by different managers they somehow shouldn't match minimum expectations is ridiculous.

These guys are professional footballers who have reached the peak of their sport because of their natural talent and technique. It isn't silly to suggest that these people should be able to play a game of football and not look like they've never spent a day of their lives in each other's company on the pitch.

They can't play to the 'system' because there is no system.

Edited by SolidSCB at 14:58:24 07-10-2019
  • spurslol 7 Oct 2019 15:00:13 131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    He was only successful in Norway because of that Haaland kid.
  • General_Martok 7 Oct 2019 15:01:54 878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    These "professionals" played well enough for the first 11 games of OGS's tenure. What happened after that? They became complacent.

I don't care if we get rid of OGS, I'm not precious cause he's a club legend, what I'm sick and tired of is the manager merry-go-round to no avail. At least when Chelsea and City did it they won something bigger than the Europa League.

We're just a failure of a football club and sacking one manager after another isn't going to fix anything.

Edited by General_Martok at 15:05:12 07-10-2019
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2019 15:08:53 14,244 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You being sick of the manager merry go round is no reason to stick with one who is clearly incapable of doing the job. He declared he was bringing attacking football back to the club and yet we create less chances with him than any other manager.
  • SolidSCB 7 Oct 2019 15:13:37 11,576 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If we want to talk about the system, then let's do that.

Ole played a fluid 433 up until he became our permanent manager, and then he almost immediately switched to the double pivot with 2 deep lying midfielders in a 4213.

A cynical person might say he threw caution to the wind when he was the happy-go-lucky, caretaker who never had a sniff of the job, and now he's got something worth losing he's switched to a much more conservative approach to achieve results at any cost.

A lot, in fact identical, to the last manager who got chased out of the club in part for the tactics he put out on the pitch.
  • General_Martok 7 Oct 2019 15:20:09 878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is he so thick that he's sticking to something ("the conservative approach") that clearly isn't working even though it's going to get him the sack?

I don't believe so, we see hints of the fluid system even in the shit games like yesterday, before Newcastle scored. He knows it works, the reasons he doesn't use it all the time may well be due to injury.

Anyway, if we sack him who do we get?
  • General_Martok 7 Oct 2019 15:20:23 878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Giggs? :p
  • SolidSCB 7 Oct 2019 15:28:43 11,576 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thing is, were already on the managerial merry-go-round. There's no such thing as a Fergie anymore. How many managers have we seen win the league for Chelsea and City, and then deem them surplus to requirements the second they stop winning?

Even the likes of Guardiola and Klopp most likely won't be around in 3 to 4 years time. Pep especially seems to have mastered the art of knowing when he's taken a team as far as he can take them and jumping on to the next project before his stock falls. It's just football now.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2019 15:32:29 14,244 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nope, I dont want ex players anywhere near the managers job as people struggle to separate their emotions towards them. Also our ex players seem to make shit managers.
  • SolidSCB 7 Oct 2019 15:38:58 11,576 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I honestly don't know who can do the job in it's current state, but there are certainly people who can do better than this if that's the way it's going to go.

What we must do before making any single other decision is to remove Ed Woodward from any form of football operations and install someone who knows what they are doing in his place. Unfortunately, I can see us hiring a face saving DoF who doesn't actually provide anything to the club and is just there as a shield to Ed from the fan's backlash.
  • mikew1985 7 Oct 2019 15:42:30 14,629 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really don't think sacking him is the right call. He's been fucked over by injury this season. Every team that's gone out is effectively the most experienced 11 he's been able to pick.

It's funny that nobody seems to realise the correlation of Pogba bring injured to not creating anything but it's not surprising given the level of stick he gets.

He's literally the most important cog in the team. Without him we don't create.

That aside we're now missing our only real full backs and martial is the only almost proper number 9 at the club. A lot of the lack of creativity is injury driven. The team are clearly lacking confidence everywhere.
  • SolidSCB 7 Oct 2019 15:49:03 11,576 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't really see sacking him changing anything at this moment in time. We could probably play some better football but I don't see us getting anywhere near top 4 with our pitiful levels of fitness and poor depth.

Better looking at this sort of thing in the summer, and if we're intent on a change quietly putting a plan in place between now and then to secure that, unless we really do end up in a relegation scrap of course! Rash decisions have got us nowhere up to now.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2019 15:55:24 14,244 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Or you could get rid now and buy out the contract of the manager you want. That would give him the rest of the season to work out what needs to happen and see how the players fit his vision. That way in the summer you can look at getting his targets in to stand a chance of doing a bit better next year.
  • General_Martok 7 Oct 2019 15:57:13 878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Or you could get rid now and buy out the contract of the manager you want. That would give him the rest of the season to work out what needs to happen and see how the players fit his vision. That way in the summer you can look at getting his targets in to stand a chance of doing a bit better next year.
    Who are we going to buy out? The retard can't even buy players.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.