Following The all-new Premier League thread Page 8078

• monkman76 7 Oct 2019 16:00:43 15,117 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    the fan's backlash.
    You're doing pretty badly, but I don't think you're quite down to just one fan yet.
  • JYM60 7 Oct 2019 16:02:57 17,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I feel like the first thing to sort out was the defence, and that is looking in good nick now, aside from the probable need for another left back. Next thing to address will be the attacking side. Ole/the board obviously thought there was enough going forward to meander on for a season until more signings could be made, but injuries have ravaged the attacking players. As to whether that is a problem with coaching, I'm not sure.

From seeing the squad before the match yesterday, I was well aware that a draw would be a good result. No manager wins handily with that starting 11. Pep could coach Pereira for 10 years and he'd still be shit.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2019 16:04:07 14,244 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dont get me wrong I want Woodward moved away from football matters as well. He is clearly brilliant with the commercial side and should focus purely on that.
  • Dougs 7 Oct 2019 16:07:29 90,576 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:
    the fan's backlash.
    You're doing pretty badly, but I don't think you're quite down to just one fan yet.
    :D

Anyway, sounds to me that the club badly needs to move away from a single point of failure and appoint a structure that is working towards the same thing. No idea if what we have done will work but at least there is a semblance of a strategy.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2019 16:08:09 14,244 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ravaged the attacking players? Pobga, Lingard and Martial were out. Pogba is an important midfielder (although not played in a 4231), Martial is inconsistent and Lingard does fuck all.

Getting rid of Lukaku and Sanchez with no replacements other than a couple of inexperienced kids was a far bigger issue. Sanchez has been a disaster on the whole but none of the players that have remained have been any better.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 16:11:02 07-10-2019
  • SolidSCB 7 Oct 2019 16:09:14 11,576 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:
    the fan's backlash.
    That's probably how many we've got left in London now.
  • General_Martok 7 Oct 2019 16:24:47 878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    SolidSCB wrote:
    the fan's backlash.
    That's probably how many we've got left in London now.
    The rumours of the demise in the London based fan IS A LIE!

I'm still here :p
  • SolidSCB 7 Oct 2019 16:40:59 11,576 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How long did it take to get over not being able to post "CHAMPIONS" in here every five minutes?

I for one am glad you've come to join the suffering.
  • General_Martok 7 Oct 2019 16:44:31 878 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Did I do that often? I thought I did for 1 day. It's quite possible I got a little carried away though.

I'm far more pessimistic and cynical now. :)

Edited by General_Martok at 16:44:55 07-10-2019
  • Frogofdoom 7 Oct 2019 16:45:16 14,244 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No you did it for ages.
  • JYM60 7 Oct 2019 16:46:53 17,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd say 3 attackers out, 2 of whom are your main source of goals and creativity could be considered a ravaging. The fact we might as well not even bring subs is a bit of a problem too.
  • its-H1ggyLTD 7 Oct 2019 16:51:57 215 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    He wasn't even hugely successful in Norway was he?

It's not like he was the Fergie of Norway.

One league title is it?
  • SolidSCB 7 Oct 2019 16:57:26 11,576 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not going to pretend I watched a single game they played, but I've seen a few Molde fans on Reddit claim they are actually playing more attacking football this season and seem likely to pick up another title without him.
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Oct 2019 16:59:51 7,936 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Coming in late... but if you have a bunch of players who are struggling to play the 'system', why don't you change it to something they find easier?

Pretty sure that is rule 2 of managing a team 101

Rule 1 is if your team is not motivated and fuck off to play fortnite instead of training, you are doing a bad job as a manager.

OGS seems to have trouble with these two fundamental rules.
  • JYM60 7 Oct 2019 18:06:24 17,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well the system is where I have a bit of a problem with Ole. I'd really like to know why Pogba is playing holding midfield, because that is just stupid to have your most creative player playing in front of the back 4.

I understand he probably has little faith in either Fred or Matic, as they are rubbish. But surely having Lingard up their as your main creator is even worse.
  • SnackPlissken 7 Oct 2019 18:27:06 1,201 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I reckon a lot of United fans are questioning their decision they made as a kid in the 90s you glory hunting bastards.
  • DakeyrasUK 7 Oct 2019 18:39:33 3,050 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wow, what a lot of fun this thread has been!

I personally think Ole needs more time to further entrench united to mid table obscurity!

Here's the comparison to make, are united coping with transition as well as Chelsea. A team who lost their talisman, and were unable to make transfers and have had to turn to the youth set up all managed by an former player with little in the realms of success.

I think it fairly clear that Lampard is building something positive at Chelsea and Ole is clueless!
  • its-H1ggyLTD 7 Oct 2019 18:41:54 215 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I think people are getting a bit carried away with Lampard/Chelsea.
  • SnackPlissken 7 Oct 2019 18:54:13 1,201 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lampard's had some questionable results.
  • nickthegun 7 Oct 2019 19:02:04 78,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think, honestly, he's probably hitting most targets they set for him considering the team he puts out every week.

He's definitely doing better than I expected.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 7 Oct 2019 19:03:34 17,204 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    its-H1ggyLTD wrote:
    I think people are getting a bit carried away with Lampard/Chelsea.
    I find it particularly annoying that everyone seems to forget that it was a transfer ban imposed for being cheating cunts that forced this situation. Everyone talks about them being the exemplar for doing it the right way.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 7 Oct 2019 19:04:02 17,204 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That said Lampard himself is doing a very decent job, and itís quite nice to see.
  • its-H1ggyLTD 7 Oct 2019 19:05:03 215 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Yeah he's doing well, is a likeable fella, and was the right appointment.

But i don't think hes a stick to beat utd with just yet.
  • DakeyrasUK 7 Oct 2019 20:14:04 3,050 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm not saying Chelsea are doing things the right way.

Just Lampard has clearly motivated his players to play for him.

Likewise I'm not tryi g to beat united with his stick either. Just think the two have a lot of parallels and they are doing things in very different ways.

Ole seems primarily concerned with defending, where as lampard is attacking.

I can see lampard competing at the top the season after next if next season where as I cannot see Ole competing at all.
  • SolidSCB 7 Oct 2019 20:22:13 11,576 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They are doing average. Some good results, some shit results. Losing 4-0 to us is looking more embarrassing by the week.

But one club are clearly heading on an upward trajectory in terms of performances, and the other are heading the opposite. The fact they are both managed by relatively inexperienced (at the top level) club legends also makes it easy for people to compare them.
  • JYM60 7 Oct 2019 21:05:26 17,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Football higher ups have done a good job at Chelsea in this instance. Chelsea have done a great job with their youth, Mount and Abraham coming from great spells in the Championship are basically like signings. Compare that to Greenwood, Gomez and Chong who look light years away from being first team premier league players.
  • nickthegun 7 Oct 2019 21:16:50 78,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's funny. Mount took the headlines but Tomori was actually our player of the season. He was absolutely brilliant.

Lucky they had so many academy players, all freshly blooded to cope with the transfer ban. Or was it..... 4D chess?
  • Dougs 7 Oct 2019 21:37:26 90,576 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Harry Wilson at Bournemouth looks good. Didn't realise he was on loan from LFC, wondered where he'd come from.
  • fontgeeksogood 7 Oct 2019 21:42:58 7,025 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    He took the piss out of the Championship last season (Wilson)
  • nickthegun 7 Oct 2019 21:45:05 78,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    He also was amazing for us. Like properly next level. That boy has the left foot of angels.

And, really, it demonstrated why we just couldn't compete. To stand still, maintaining the squad we went up with would have cost us at least 50m. Liverpool value Wilson at 20, I can't imagine mount would be far off that and Tomori would have been at least 10m.

It's why we have been so shit this year. How do you replace those three when Chelsea aren't loaning players out?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.