The all-new Premier League thread Page 8423

• JoelStinty 16 Sep 2020 08:21:22 8,982 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    I agree Bale is somewhat of a gamble but one that feels relatively low risk for Spurs. I very much doubt the likes of United and Spurs would be looking to sign him without some insight into his current ability. A loan means no fee and wages will be affordable in light of that. And no long term commitment.

Heís a club legend. A fan favourite. Not to mention world class. And weíre in massive need of a boost.

If itís affordable itís bordering on no brainier territory for me.
    I truly doubt we're trying to sign him.
    Sounds like itís pretty much done. One year loan.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Sep 2020 08:50:36 20,709 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    BTW signing last seasonís best LB in La Liga is no small news.
  • askew 16 Sep 2020 08:56:11 21,805 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bale returning to his roots?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Sep 2020 08:57:15 20,709 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thatís actually a good point. A great thing about Bale is he can play several positions.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Sep 2020 08:59:18 20,709 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So Madrid have a buy back clause on Reguilon. Normally youíd call that bad business but I guess with the way of the world right now you have to do what you have to do.
  • robc84 16 Sep 2020 09:02:35 14,629 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So Madrid have a buy back clause on Reguilon. Normally youíd call that bad business but I guess with the way of the world right now you have to do what you have to do.
    Apparently that's what put Utd off the deal.
  • JoelStinty 16 Sep 2020 09:04:18 8,982 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    May have helped us get the Bale one done too. You help us out here, and we help you out there. Whilst we get two players. I think Madrid have form for this and just end up selling those players too. Either way we get £40 million for him (according to reports). With Sessesenon and Cirkin coming through I think it probably not a bad time to do such a deal.

But yeah you're right about Regulion. He was great last year and will be an incredible signing.

Hopefully both will get over the line. Wonder if Utd woke up and shat themselves this morning and gone into panic mode.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Sep 2020 09:15:50 20,709 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I suppose in a sense you can see it as a sort of loan. With others coming through it may not be the end of the world if they did buy him back, as you say.
  • fontgeeksogood 16 Sep 2020 09:31:02 10,631 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There's a bit of an odd world around the 'need' to 'own' a player IMO

Sure, if they're the next Freddy Adu then it makes sense to pay for a transfer as you've got an asset you believe is going to appreciate in value.

There will be many more examples of Bale as the mega signings age; stuck at a team where they've gone out looking for the next generation, but still on fat contracts based on their ability from 3 or 4 years ago, with a club who think they can reclaim a big transfer fee.

If it appreciates, buy it. If it depreciates, loan it
  • TheSaint 16 Sep 2020 09:36:01 19,883 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dele going the other way as well?

So typical that you just learn how to cook good old English food like baked beans and then end up moving to Spain.
  • Syrette 16 Sep 2020 09:57:12 50,796 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Genuinely liked his little quarrel with Dier in one of the last All or Nothing episodes.

That's hardly a spoiler, mind, pretty sure it happens all the time, all around the world.
  • Kay 16 Sep 2020 10:05:41 20,734 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Monreal's coming back to the PL?
  • Dougs 16 Sep 2020 10:30:11 95,479 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Emi Martinez to Villa done
  • JoelStinty 16 Sep 2020 10:38:48 8,982 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Honestly surprised by that. Thought he looked really good at the end of last season. Good signing for villa.
  • Kay 16 Sep 2020 10:39:52 20,734 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Quite sad about that tbh. Even with the small sample size, he looked more than good enough to be our No. 1. Let's hope we put the money to good use.
  • Dougs 16 Sep 2020 10:44:14 95,479 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I like him, and he did well, but he wanted to be No1 somewhere. We weren't going to give any guarantees. I don't think there's much between him and Leno and we need the cash so...
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Sep 2020 10:44:46 20,709 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Monreal's coming back to the PL?
    Not even top 5.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Sep 2020 10:46:25 20,709 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Dele going the other way as well?

So typical that you just learn how to cook good old English food like baked beans and then end up moving to Spain.
    So far no credible sources have reported that one. Certainly hope itís not true. Although if it is no doubt all the Ali haters will quickly u-turn to a Spurslol.
  • TheSaint 16 Sep 2020 11:45:42 19,883 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, just saw a passing mention of it on The Guardian rumour mill this morning.
  • creepiest-lizard 16 Sep 2020 11:48:26 2,025 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It would be absolute madness to let Dele go the other way for an over the hill Bale for the 20 games of the season he'd probably play.
    Sure, Dele has been rubbish for ages now but he's still young enough to rediscover his form of a few seasons ago.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Sep 2020 12:05:16 20,709 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    It would be absolute madness to let Dele go the other way for an over the hill Bale for the 20 games of the season he'd probably play.
    Sure, Dele has been rubbish for ages now but he's still young enough to rediscover his form of a few seasons ago.
    I mean, even in aN admittedly mediocre season he scored more than Grealish, Jorginho, Bernardo Silva, Mount etc. And got more assists than Maddison, Jorginho, Zaha, Martial.

There was an excellent article in The Athletic that really broke down his game and stats and really properly analysed both why people think he gone downhill and why itís nonsense.
  • Ultrasoundwave 16 Sep 2020 12:19:12 6,104 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    Honestly surprised by that. Thought he looked really good at the end of last season. Good signing for villa.
    Very strange decision for me - Martinez looked like the most reliable, stable keeper Arsenal have had for a while, plus I fancy heís a lot stronger playing out from the back than Leno is.

Donít get me wrong, Leno has improved a lot since his first season.....but heís still got that question mark over him.

Very good signing for Villa......if they can get a new back four to go with him.
  • PierrePressure 16 Sep 2020 12:27:07 1,159 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think as an Arsenal fan I would have been happy with either Leno or Martinez as the number 1. Leno hasn't done a lot wrong, neither has Martinez, we just have a larger sample size with Leno so it makes sense to cash in. I wish Martinez well, except when we play Villa obvs.
  • Kay 16 Sep 2020 12:30:15 20,734 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Donít get me wrong, Leno has improved a lot since his first season.....but heís still got that question mark over him.
    I'd argue that the uncapped goalkeeper with less than 20 first team games is the one with the question mark over him. Leno has far more experience, which is the main reason we stuck with him.
  • Ultrasoundwave 16 Sep 2020 12:40:39 6,104 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    I'd argue that the uncapped goalkeeper with less than 20 first team games is the one with the question mark over him. Leno has far more experience, which is the main reason we stuck with him.

Fair point, I guess Iím just surprised. He had a strong finish to last season, was part of the FA cup win and the community shield win....I just assumed heíd start as No.1 for Arsenal this year.

Bottom line is that this is a win-win for all involved.
  • Dougs 16 Sep 2020 12:46:09 95,479 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    PierrePressure wrote:
    I think as an Arsenal fan I would have been happy with either Leno or Martinez as the number 1. Leno hasn't done a lot wrong, neither has Martinez, we just have a larger sample size with Leno so it makes sense to cash in. I wish Martinez well, except when we play Villa obvs.
    +1
  • Kay 16 Sep 2020 14:08:36 20,734 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Fair point, I guess Iím just surprised. He had a strong finish to last season, was part of the FA cup win and the community shield win....I just assumed heíd start as No.1 for Arsenal this year.

Bottom line is that this is a win-win for all involved.
    Yep, he was great and I personally would have stuck with him as No. 1 for the time being - not least because last season only just finished, and there might be a slight risk with Leno only just coming back from a relatively serious injury.

Unfortunately GK is the only position where it's almost impossible to keep two equally good players happy. We had to sell one, and Emi was the obvious choice. But it's also a nice £20m bonus that we never would have expected a few months ago.
  • askew 16 Sep 2020 14:24:51 21,805 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Enjoyed this tweet about variations for England XIs:

https://twitter.com/GoalscorerC/status/1306189170096963586?s=20
  • HisDudness 16 Sep 2020 15:30:37 1,730 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One thing that impressed me about Martinez is that he often catches shots, rather than parries them. But Leno is also very impressive, and still fairly young for that position.
  • Ultrasoundwave 16 Sep 2020 15:43:13 6,104 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I'd agree with both of you...it's a gamble as you have no idea if he can still do it
    Quite clearly no one else in here watches Wales games.

Bale isnít even remotely a gamble, the guy is still world class and just needs a run of games.

He doesnít like Zidane, Zidane doesnít like him, the Real fans have never taken to him.....but heís still a match winner.

Kane, Son, Bale and Alli as an attacking four is absolutely lethal IMO.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.