The all-new Premier League thread Page 8660

• retro74 4 Apr 2021 21:30:39 3,634 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This United side is a load of shite, runners up would be a great achievement
  • SolidSCB 4 Apr 2021 21:36:14 15,307 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ole nailed on for a Paddy Power advert now.
  • JYM60 4 Apr 2021 21:56:01 18,846 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    Agree. The squad is absolute barebones balls, subs devoid of anything worth bringing on.

Edited by JYM60 at 21:56:13 04-04-2021
  • Mark1412 5 Apr 2021 09:02:40 2,077 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yet you're in control in second place, with an attack only 8 goals off City's having played a game less, and having only lost 1 more game than them. Great chance in EL and surely guaranteed CL next year. Look at the shitshow below you and be grateful your barebones balls subs devoid of anything worth bringing on load of shite team is doing so well!

Guess what I'm saying is I'd happily trade places.
  • THFourteen 5 Apr 2021 09:05:41 54,352 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    Does that make Ole a great manager then?
  • Mark1412 5 Apr 2021 09:08:52 2,077 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Come on, that's not how that works in football. Theoretically, someone else would have done much better and that's the standard to compare him to.

On that note, any chance of Wenger coming back?
  • mikew1985 5 Apr 2021 09:12:41 15,446 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mark1412 wrote:
    Yet you're in control in second place, with an attack only 8 goals off City's having played a game less, and having only lost 1 more game than them. Great chance in EL and surely guaranteed CL next year. Look at the shitshow below you and be grateful your barebones balls subs devoid of anything worth bringing on load of shite team is doing so well!

I presumed he was taking the piss but perhaps not.

The reason this team are so often disappointing is exactly because the squad is so strong. Conceding soft goals is the problem that needs to be cut out. 25 points gained from losing positions shows that defending needs to be improved but the attackers are largely holding up their end of the bargain.

A lot of teams will set up to sit deep against us and we invariably concede to them from their first attack giving us a mountain to climb. Brighton were dangerous when they did attack but most of the game our creative players had 10 men in front of them which is always tough to break down.
  • Dirt3 5 Apr 2021 10:32:14 1,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dunno. I just feel United lack quality in depth in every department from what I have seen of them.

Not a fan of their forward line up apart from Greenwood atm.

I think the interesting thing is that this seasons results will probably give Ole the breathing space to get the opportunity to either transform them into a great team, or fail in that process.
  • SolidSCB 5 Apr 2021 10:43:52 15,307 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If we don't sign a high quality defender or two it will tell you exactly what our aspirations are as a club. Something tells me 2nd will be seen as job done and we'll dither around to field pretty much the same squad next season which I think will end badly for us. Unless there's a marquee has-been to gobble up on a free so we can put out another cracking Twitter reveal.
  • Dirt3 5 Apr 2021 10:49:23 1,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They clearly need something. They are obviously not as good as City, and not significantly differentiated from the chasing pack atm.

Ole always seems to give the impression in the interviews that he is bewildered that they have done so well to me.
  • General_Martok 5 Apr 2021 11:06:09 2,096 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think you're mistaking pragmatism with bewilderment.

There is definitely something missing from this team and it's in every area of the pitch. Upfront need a replacement for Martial and Cavani, midfield need someone that can do Fred's job of breaking up play as well as shoot (Competition for Mctominay basically) and that defence...slabhead needs a reliable partner.
  • Dirt3 5 Apr 2021 11:43:17 1,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    I think you're mistaking pragmatism with bewilderment.

There is definitely something missing from this team and it's in every area of the pitch. Upfront need a replacement for Martial and Cavani, midfield need someone that can do Fred's job of breaking up play as well as shoot (Competition for Mctominay basically) and that defence...slabhead needs a reliable partner.
    Yep, maybe !

Agree with your other comments. Martial just isn't delivering. How long can they realistically stick with him under the circumstances ?
  • SolidSCB 5 Apr 2021 11:48:21 15,307 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Considering we literally sacked a manager in part to keep him, he's been absolutely pathetic. We'll never win a league with him moping around in the squad.
  • JYM60 5 Apr 2021 12:23:35 18,846 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Mark1412 wrote:

I presumed he was taking the piss but perhaps not.

The reason this team are so often disappointing is exactly because the squad is so strong. Conceding soft goals is the problem that needs to be cut out. 25 points gained from losing positions shows that defending needs to be improved but the attackers are largely holding up their end of the bargain.

A lot of teams will set up to sit deep against us and we invariably concede to them from their first attack giving us a mountain to climb. Brighton were dangerous when they did attack but most of the game our creative players had 10 men in front of them which is always tough to break down.
    I wasn't taking the piss. I think Ole has done great with what he has at his disposal, which aside from an on paper decent XI, is pretty bare. Would genuinely like to see him get the contract extension which has been touted.
  • mikew1985 5 Apr 2021 12:35:09 15,446 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Considering we literally sacked a manager in part to keep him, he's been absolutely pathetic. We'll never win a league with him moping around in the squad.
    Aside from all the other great reasons to sack Jose I suppose that he was one. Which also looked like a great call last season as he racked up a decent tally.

He's been utterly shit this season though, mind boggling awful. His touch and finishing were like his two things and both have been terrible this season.
  • RGeefe 5 Apr 2021 12:53:43 1,864 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have to feel for Fulham. So nearly out of the relegation zone and trying to play. Not sure I can see them staying up though, especially if Newcastle can still get the odd draw out the bag.
  • Jono62 5 Apr 2021 12:55:49 26,762 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It could still go down to the last game between Newcastle and Fulham. Newcastle seem to be playing better football at least.

I'm hoping Burnley still get dragged into it.
  • RGeefe 5 Apr 2021 12:57:10 1,864 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think Burnley are the new Stoke tbh. Always shit, always there, until one bad season and then goodbye. Don't see a Sunderland style death
  • SolidSCB 5 Apr 2021 12:57:12 15,307 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mourinho wanted him gone but the club essentially thought of him as our answer to Messi and unsellable which was one of the big sources of friction from the story that came out.

He's one of those who will probably end up annoyingly flourishing somewhere else but I can't be fucking arsed with him any longer. We need more character on the pitch if we're to dig in and get back to where we want to be and that sulking knobhead is the antithesis of that.
  • Decks 5 Apr 2021 13:01:52 29,411 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    It could still go down to the last game between Newcastle and Fulham. Newcastle seem to be playing better football at least.

I'm hoping Burnley still get dragged into it.
    We're absolutely being relegated by a Mitrovic goal on the last day.
  • Rum_Monkey 5 Apr 2021 13:04:56 2,512 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    If that's true I'll always be grateful to Martial for helping get rid of Jose.

Edited by Rum_Monkey at 13:07:21 05-04-2021
  • mikew1985 5 Apr 2021 17:08:38 15,446 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    If that's true I'll always be grateful to Martial for helping get rid of Jose.
    Exactly, that's a feather in his cap rather than a stick with which to beat him.

Jose is a disaster and the biggest regret of his time with united should be that he got that extra half season. He was already clearly past it at that point.
  • SolidSCB 5 Apr 2021 18:08:33 15,307 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Think the point's being missed a bit really. Main takeaway is he's useless but somehow deemed essential to the club's future.
  • General_Martok 5 Apr 2021 18:19:04 2,096 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Basket case FC
  • Rum_Monkey 5 Apr 2021 18:20:54 2,512 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @SolidSCB

Looked a smart move last season when it seemed to finally click for him. This season he's doubled down on his sulky worst.

One of the most frustrating players I've seen play for us.
  • SolidSCB 5 Apr 2021 18:32:40 15,307 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He's the sort of guy who would knock in 25-30 goals for PSG in the league against nothing teams easily but mentally there isn't an ounce of scrap in him. You can literally tell about 3 or 4 minutes into a match he's going to have a completely shit game. Absolutely no room for a guy like that when we're trying to consistently stay in the CL and kick on to bigger things from there. He's everything people accuse Pogba of being x10.
  • DakeyrasUK 5 Apr 2021 19:56:51 5,045 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha, well done Palace!

Top 4 race increasingly resembles a game of snakes and ladders.

Edited by DakeyrasUK at 19:57:13 05-04-2021
  • Baihu1983 5 Apr 2021 19:57:03 13,716 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As Kal isn't here I'll mention how much of a dirty player Zaha is
  • Rum_Monkey 5 Apr 2021 20:00:07 2,512 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    He's got such a punchable face, especially when he's having a whinge at the ref for the 40th time.
  • telboy007_v3 5 Apr 2021 20:23:36 89 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    This Lingard is a bit good, how come Man U aren't playing him?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.