Following The all-new Premier League thread Page 8741

• simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Jun 2021 15:35:48 19,729 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not here but elsewhere its remarkable to see the out of sight out of mind approach to Trippier. He’s playing at a more successful club than he was in England, played regularly in a title winning side in a league dominated by two of the biggest clubs in the world and people think he’s shite because “he couldn’t cut in it in the Prem anymore”
  • General_Martok 1 Jun 2021 15:49:46 2,450 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Not here but elsewhere its remarkable to see the out of sight out of mind approach to Trippier. He’s playing at a more successful club than he was in England, played regularly in a title winning side in a league dominated by two of the biggest clubs in the world and people think he’s shite because “he couldn’t cut in it in the Prem anymore”
    Those are the Brexit and Tory voting England fans whose tears will sustain me this summer.
  • Dougs 1 Jun 2021 15:56:05 100,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Ha so Arsenal are in for the banned Ajax goalkeeper. Apparently he may have a reduction on his ban in the next few days.. Still we're out for a keeper to either replace Leno or what? Why did we get rid of Martinez. The transfer business has been abysmal...
    Leno goes, Mat Ryan in on a free until the ban is up, Ajax keeper 1st choice on the cheap as he can't play for us for yonks. Everybody's happy.

Our transfer business has been awful, but I don't include Martinez in that. Fact is, someone made an offer for him that was decent, and they didn't for Leno. It's not as if we had offers for both and made the wrong choice.
  • Dougs 1 Jun 2021 16:58:26 100,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Looks like Carlo is off then. Never go back, FFS!
  • Baihu1983 1 Jun 2021 17:02:36 14,309 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    And he was forced to play injured that last season at Spurs which made him look shit
  • muddyyfunster 1 Jun 2021 17:25:57 1,276 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Ha so Arsenal are in for the banned Ajax goalkeeper. Apparently he may have a reduction on his ban in the next few days.. Still we're out for a keeper to either replace Leno or what? Why did we get rid of Martinez. The transfer business has been abysmal...
    Leno goes, Mat Ryan in on a free until the ban is up, Ajax keeper 1st choice on the cheap as he can't play for us for yonks. Everybody's happy.

Our transfer business has been awful, but I don't include Martinez in that. Fact is, someone made an offer for him that was decent, and they didn't for Leno. It's not as if we had offers for both and made the wrong choice.
    Totally agree with all this. Selling Martinez has to be seen in the context of the time. It would have been nice to include a buyback cause, but ultimately with the multitude of squad issues we had, it made no sense to have two first team quality goalkeepers instead of one and a chunk of cash.

I think Onana makes a lot of sense if we can get it done. He's very well regarded and this seems like a classic opportunist move for a player entering prime years and possibly available on the cheap. The bigger issue is likely to be that he'll probably be getting some better offers from CL clubs with more money. Might not end up being as cheap as we'd hoped.

I'd be happy continuing with Leno anyway, he's no David Seaman, but he's also no Manuel Almunia and GK shouldn't be a priority. Ceballos off, Xhaka to (hopefully) follow and Partey and Elneny are both going to the African cup of nations. We look very short for CMs even if Willock starts more games next year.
  • Dougs 1 Jun 2021 17:32:51 100,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, reading between the lines, seems Leno's exit is hastened as he doesn't want to sign a new contract with 2 years left and we are (hopefully) learning that if that's the case, they have to be sold.
  • Boriska 1 Jun 2021 17:57:31 1,010 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Would be nice if we started to learn from our mistakes.
  • Dougs 1 Jun 2021 18:04:57 100,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Looks like Carlo is off then. Never go back, FFS!
    Now confirmed by Everton.
  • captbirdseye 1 Jun 2021 18:07:31 11,135 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Get the Big Macs in as Big Sam is coming home.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Jun 2021 18:26:37 19,729 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Promote Big Dunc
  • Graxlar_v3 1 Jun 2021 18:55:52 11,233 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Neil Lennon perhaps?
  • THFourteen 1 Jun 2021 19:03:05 54,901 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    David Moyes.
  • Trowel 1 Jun 2021 19:09:08 24,495 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Everton: rebuilding since 2016
  • reddevil93 1 Jun 2021 21:10:38 15,991 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Poch has said he wants out. Fascinating to see if he does come back
  • Frogofdoom 1 Jun 2021 21:39:18 17,851 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has anyone reputable reported that Poch wants out, or is it just from the paper talk the other day?
  • SnackPlissken 2 Jun 2021 11:03:48 3,460 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sterling to Arsenal rumours.. Saka, Balogun and Sterling.
  • Rum_Monkey 2 Jun 2021 11:06:03 3,335 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That's some fall from grace for Sterling.
  • THFourteen 2 Jun 2021 11:08:28 54,901 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fucking Sterling.
  • Baihu1983 2 Jun 2021 11:15:25 14,309 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Everton looking at Gerrard.

Not sure he will see the abuse and threats worth it
  • SolidSCB 2 Jun 2021 11:21:10 16,630 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rafa still out of work?
  • muddyyfunster 2 Jun 2021 12:10:48 1,276 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really like Sterling as a player and character and I'm sure he'd do well for us for a couple of seasons. However at 27 and on £300k a week wages plus a sizeable fee, he's surely not the best use of that money. We desperately need to stop signing players with limited resale value on massive wages. This goes double for Mahrez, as great as he'd be to watch.

Saka, Martinelli, Pepe, Smith Rowe are all effective wide forwards that deserve to play lots of games plus we have Nelson as backup.

We have no midweek football so unless a big offer comes in for Pepe we don't need another first-team wide forward.

More rumours about promising young full-backs, centre mids and centre forwards, please.
  • Dougs 2 Jun 2021 12:17:55 100,274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    +1
  • General_Martok 2 Jun 2021 12:21:30 2,450 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wonder if we should loan you Elanga...
  • SnackPlissken 2 Jun 2021 13:16:52 3,460 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Exactly the type of signing we'd make though. I don't know if I said it here or to my mate.. but I'd rather us sign more Ray Parlour's.. proper workhorses that put in a shift, with few mistakes.
  • Baihu1983 2 Jun 2021 14:48:18 14,309 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nuno to Everton now. Thought he wanted to go home?
  • askew 2 Jun 2021 15:54:28 24,015 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Money talks
    Money talks
    Dirty cash I want you
    Dirty cash I neeed you
  • THFourteen 2 Jun 2021 16:06:46 54,901 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Exactly the type of signing we'd make though. I don't know if I said it here or to my mate.. but I'd rather us sign more Ray Parlour's.. proper workhorses that put in a shift, with few mistakes.
    Think we need one or two of those in midfield to play with Partey, and probably a right back, and then a cover for left back.

But up front we are seriously lacking creativity, not sure we need another workhorse across the front 3 or in the position behind the front 3.
  • SnackPlissken 2 Jun 2021 16:30:36 3,460 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Basically we want a Cazorla. Someone who'll work hard at the back and the front.
  • muddyyfunster 2 Jun 2021 16:47:52 1,276 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Elneny is a workhorse that puts in a shift and makes few mistakes. He runs around a lot and passes extremely conservatively and it really hurts our ball progression and puts other players under more pressure. I don't want more Elneny's in the squad.

I know you intended it as a compliment but Parlour much more than that. He could run with the ball, was positionally astute and could pass forward and put in a decent cross. Admittedly he could also cover a lot of ground for a functional alcoholic.

The intelligence of Parlour's game is what we need more than his 'engine'. Partey badly needs a partner who can find themselves a pocket of space (without retreating towards the backline) receive the ball and move it forward quickly. Partey can do this but Ceballos, Xhaka and Elneny all wanted far too many touches, and it absolutely killed us at times.

Get the ball forward faster, and our forwards will suddenly look a lot more creative. I don't see our football improving until we solve this problem. Doesn't matter who we play upfront or out wide.