Following The all-new Premier League thread Page 8742

• muddyyfunster 2 Jun 2021 16:47:53 1,131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Elneny is a workhorse that puts in a shift and makes few mistakes. He runs around a lot and passes extremely conservatively and it really hurts our ball progression and puts other players under more pressure. I don't want more Elneny's in the squad.

I know you intended it as a compliment but Parlour much more than that. He could run with the ball, was positionally astute and could pass forward and put in a decent cross. Admittedly he could also cover a lot of ground for a functional alcoholic.

The intelligence of Parlour's game is what we need more than his 'engine'. Partey badly needs a partner who can find themselves a pocket of space (without retreating towards the backline) receive the ball and move it forward quickly. Partey can do this but Ceballos, Xhaka and Elneny all wanted far too many touches, and it absolutely killed us at times.

Get the ball forward faster, and our forwards will suddenly look a lot more creative. I don't see our football improving until we solve this problem. Doesn't matter who we play upfront or out wide.
  • muddyyfunster 2 Jun 2021 16:48:16 1,131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Basically we want a Cazorla. Someone who'll work hard at the back and the front.
    Cesc - we need another Cesc.
  • Dougs 2 Jun 2021 18:48:29 99,628 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I miss that little traitorous fucker.
  • askew 2 Jun 2021 20:00:18 23,542 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Conte to Spurs seems to be promising. That would be cause for concernÖ 😛 Maybe Kane goes and they get Lukaku by gazumping Chelsea.
  • robc84 2 Jun 2021 20:16:16 15,398 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I assumed that was another Sky story to get people betting.

Hopefully it is anyway. We need a long term rebuild via a Poch or ten hag type manager. Donít think Conte is what we need right now.
  • Frogofdoom 2 Jun 2021 20:19:01 17,655 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Conte would last a season and do really well and then in the summer would lose his shit as he doesn't get all the money he wants.
  • Dougs 2 Jun 2021 22:58:13 99,628 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Sky haven't owned a stake in Sky Bet for a while b
  • muddyyfunster 2 Jun 2021 23:03:32 1,131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I miss that little traitorous fucker.
    By the way, Arsene has since admitted that Cesc wanted to return after Barca but he vetoed it. Apparently, to make the point to other players that if you leave Arsenal you can't just come back if it doesn't work out.

Must have been a different Arsene who re-signed Henry, Campbell and Flamini... Not taking Cesc back has to be one of his most infuriating and damaging mistakes.
  • THFourteen 3 Jun 2021 06:55:48 54,683 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought it was because we already had nOzil and therefore didnít need another player in the creative midfield position.
  • Graxlar_v3 3 Jun 2021 07:07:08 11,059 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I thought it was because we already had nOzil and therefore didnít need another player in the overpaid bench warmer position.
  • Dougs 3 Jun 2021 08:14:32 99,628 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I thought it was because we already had nOzil and therefore didnít need another player in the creative midfield position.
    Yeah, that was my understanding too. He covers it in his book, pretty sure that was the reason.
  • SnackPlissken 3 Jun 2021 08:40:50 3,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That book is one of the biggest disappointments. I actually couldn't finish it because it was so paper thin.. much like one of his press conferences.. which is a crying shame. His guardian sit down was probably more interesting.

Edited by SnackPlissken at 08:41:02 03-06-2021
  • muddyyfunster 3 Jun 2021 09:19:03 1,131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Yeah, that was my understanding too. He covers it in his book, pretty sure that was the reason.
    I've taken that from the interview Arsene did with Alan Davis on the Tuesday Club Podcast to publicise the book. Well worth a listen. I'm sure Ozil was a consideration too but he really made it sound like it was a matter of principle for him. I don't think he seriously believed they couldn't have worked in the same team.

Cesc side of it is taken from a really good video interview he did with Arseblog a couple of years ago from his Monaco apartment. Also well worth seeking out.
  • Dougs 3 Jun 2021 09:58:35 99,628 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It was probably a bit from column a and a bit from column b. Good shout on the Davies pod, I had avoided that until I read the book, will go back to it.
  • Kay 3 Jun 2021 11:53:28 21,174 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Cesc situation was different to the likes of Henry, Campbell etc. as he made the decision to leave whilst he was still the club's star player and theoretically yet to reach his prime. Wenger didn't want to set a precedent where young talented players could try their luck at a bigger club and feel like they could always come back if things didn't work out, and rightly so imo. Plus he had Ozil at the time to build his team around, so instead of buying yet another playmaker, he spent the money on a top forward (Alexis), along with players like Chambers and Welbeck.

People can argue about whether it was the right decision or not in hindsight, but you can see why he took that stance.

Edited by Kay at 11:54:51 03-06-2021
  • Trowel 3 Jun 2021 12:38:24 24,421 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Related: Arsenal tried to sign Aguero according to his dad
  • muddyyfunster 3 Jun 2021 13:59:42 1,131 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    The Cesc situation was different to the likes of Henry, Campbell etc. as he made the decision to leave whilst he was still the club's star player and theoretically yet to reach his prime. Wenger didn't want to set a precedent where young talented players could try their luck at a bigger club and feel like they could always come back if things didn't work out, and rightly so imo. Plus he had Ozil at the time to build his team around, so instead of buying yet another playmaker, he spent the money on a top forward (Alexis), along with players like Chambers and Welbeck.

People can argue about whether it was the right decision or not in hindsight, but you can see why he took that stance.
    I respected his reasons and he had every right to make that call. With Arsene you always knew he was doing what he genuinely thought was best for the club.
    This isn't hindsight though, I strongly thought we should sign him at the time (as many did) him doing a brilliant job at a rival, and us not having a player as good as Cesc were both entirely foreseeable consequences.
  • Dougs 3 Jun 2021 14:13:30 99,628 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Twice, probably
  • SnackPlissken 3 Jun 2021 16:15:21 3,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The lord has retired at 33. Someone cheekily put more trophies than Kane. Damn.
  • Baihu1983 3 Jun 2021 16:32:22 14,013 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Trowel wrote:
    Twice, probably
    Probably wouldn't pay an extra million
  • SolidSCB 4 Jun 2021 13:25:30 16,085 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tuchel has signed a new contract then.

I've seen this one before.
  • Rum_Monkey 4 Jun 2021 13:28:13 2,937 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Chelsea should have their managers on rolling contracts.
  • askew 4 Jun 2021 13:38:53 23,542 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Pay As You Go
  • SolidSCB 4 Jun 2021 13:47:15 16,085 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Isn't that what they all get in the end anyway?
  • General_Martok 4 Jun 2021 16:11:09 2,290 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The club has initiated a direct dialogue with MUST with the aim of identifying a mutually beneficial Fan Share Scheme involving a new class of shares which will each carry the same voting rights as the shares owned by the Glazer family. This would establish a foundation for supporters to build a meaningful ownership stake and create a new spirit of partnership with the club.
    That's some shift. Just words for now but it's promising.
  • Trowel 5 Jun 2021 00:01:20 24,421 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    From Poch or Conte, to Scott Parker or Bobby Brown Shoes.

Just when I thought Spurs were going to go for it, Levy's played a blinder.
  • Jono62 5 Jun 2021 00:09:12 26,991 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Get Sam in.
  • Tomo 5 Jun 2021 00:29:39 19,371 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Can't say I'm surprised given the reputations of both Levy and Conte. A recipe for friction.

Also strikes me as a job for an upcoming manager rather than someone from the top club carousel. Losing Kane, as seems inevitable, has got to be deeply off-putting for potential managers. Needs a good player manager to get the most out of probably quite a frustrated/disillusioned squad.
  • mikew1985 5 Jun 2021 07:10:39 15,521 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    The club has initiated a direct dialogue with MUST with the aim of identifying a mutually beneficial Fan Share Scheme involving a new class of shares which will each carry the same voting rights as the shares owned by the Glazer family. This would establish a foundation for supporters to build a meaningful ownership stake and create a new spirit of partnership with the club.
    That's some shift. Just words for now but it's promising.
    Absolutely terrified of government regulation coming in and doing whatever they can to avoid it.
  • robc84 5 Jun 2021 07:10:47 15,398 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Conte never felt quite right but I can understand pursuing him as he is available. Really hoping we can convince ten Hag to come but not convinced.