Martial Arts Anyone?

First Previous
  • KennyPowers 25 Dec 2010 16:51:27 98 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just out of interest, do any of you do martial arts/boxing etc?

A lot of people I know all seem to be doing Krav Maga these days.
  • Sid-Nice 25 Dec 2010 18:05:28 15,848 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm currently doing Crap Gaga on Dance Central.
  • Venkman90 25 Dec 2010 18:08:35 4,430 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Used to do JKD from about 2000-2006, started MMA with a mate who coaches some fighters / runs a gym a few years back.

It's a good way to meet folk and MMA in particular is great as there is no dogma or ego in the training.
  • Benno 25 Dec 2010 18:13:02 11,716 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I do thai kickboxing 2-3 times a week during the Uni term, not at a competitive level though

its great fun, good for defense on the streets
  • Jibraeel 25 Dec 2010 18:19:47 198 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ther's lots of martial arts out here that offer up different things. Depending on what you are looking for. I personally think the gun defence thing that styles like Krav Maga offer are BS, which puts me off them.

I recommend checking out:

Escrima Concepts

EC London
  • Rauha 25 Dec 2010 18:25:16 4,271 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    I do thai kickboxing 2-3 times a week during the Uni term, not at a competitive level though

its great fun, good for defense on the streets

Used to do Muay Thai 5 years ago, was quite fun. Had to learn that dance as well :) - I was doing Brazilian Ju jit su, this time last year.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2010 16:59:26
    i started brazilian jiu-jitsu around 2003 and muay thai around 2005. both are excellent and have many benefits. what you decide to do depends on what you want from it. as jiu-jitsu and muay thai are sports you become well conditioned and the competition aspect is good for confidence and improving your ability.
  • Dirtbox 27 Dec 2010 17:13:11 90,930 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 27 December 2010 17:16:01
    would love to get into boxing but there's not a club near enough by : /
  • Derblington 27 Dec 2010 17:20:15 31,229 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Muay Thai is powerful at close range - the thai clinch is brutal. BJJ/judo will decimate all up close too, though as with anything you need to be able to bridge the gap in the first place.

All MAs/sport fighting will benefit you though, it's the confidence and spirit that'll allow you to defend yourself, not just the technical knowledge of how to throw a punch/kick.
  • KennyPowers 27 Dec 2010 17:56:24 98 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JKD intrigues me, as I've done a bit of Wing Chun in the past.

Although from what I hear, JKD is more philosophy than actual technique.

Ideally, something that you can use in a street situation is most useful these days.
  • Venkman90 27 Dec 2010 19:19:35 4,430 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    KennyPowers wrote:
    JKD intrigues me, as I've done a bit of Wing Chun in the past.

Although from what I hear, JKD is more philosophy than actual technique.

Ideally, something that you can use in a street situation is most useful these days.

JKD is what you make of it, but many of the schools are a bit stuck in their ways teaching Wing Chun, which Bruce would have binned along time ago.

To be honest MMA is what JKD would be now really, taking the best of what works and all that.
  • iokthemonkey 27 Dec 2010 21:31:23 4,662 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did Kung Fu (Trad) and ''Chinese Kickboxing'' (Kung Fu minus all the arsing about) for a lot of years. And now my knees are shot...
  • solidsneek 24 Mar 2018 16:17:08 763 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Does anyone do Muay Thai? Started again after 11 years off and loving it although did some sparring today and got a kick to the rib (front kick to push me away - no ones fault) and my rib is in bits. I’m hoping it’s a bruise but gutted as I was just really getting in to it don’t want weeks off.
  • macmurphy 24 Mar 2018 16:32:26 3,631 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does it hurt breathing? Some fucking Weasley kneed me in the chest on the ground doing ju-jutsu once and I’m pretty sure it got cracked.

I spoke to a doctor mate and he said there’s nothing they can do so no point going to hospital. Ached like a motherfucker for a week or so, seem to remember it being sore when I stood up straight or moved quick or twisted for maybe a month? Then just cracked on, nothing you can do really unless it’s an obvious break and you can see irregularity in your chest when you breathe.

Just play it by ear mate, hope you feel better soon.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 24 Mar 2018 16:40:20 17,462 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Had it a few times. Nothing you can do and it seems to linger for ages.
  • elstoof 24 Mar 2018 17:33:12 22,168 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If it’s broken you can usually feel what appears to be a lump on the bone. Takes a good while to heal but you get used to the pain after a while
  • mothercruncher 24 Mar 2018 17:36:56 15,667 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My doctor’s a bitch- broke a rib in Karate years ago and went to see her, she said “have you taken painkillers?”, I said “no”- I was hoping she’d prescribe some- she said, “well, maybe you should have and then you wouldn’t need to waste a doctors appointment”.
    Funnily enough, she’s always free whenever you need an emergency appointment.
    Nowt you can do but rest as everyone says.
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Mar 2018 17:46:58 17,464 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    1st Dan Blackbelt in Kickboxing (Kyokushin primarily, plus Mugendo style and Dutch), plus boxing in the very technical-heavy style under a boxing coach of which my style was heavily based on (very similar to the Ukranian and Cuban style).

Competed in Kickboxing amateur level, wining British titles such as WAKO and even the first ever K1 Amateur World Tournament under the original K1 organisation. Turned Pro for a bit (even though I was never meant to, for health reasons I kept hidden) and competed for the ISKA K-1 rules British Title, but quit going into the final round and was rushed to the hospital for on the verge of having a cardiac arrest (the health reaon I kept hidden). License was taken after and I'm not allowed to compete anymore pro, though I still train (kinda glad I don't have that extra pressure of that too).

Dabbled in BJJ for a bit (Blue belt) and competed in both Gi and No-Gi competition. Was even a sparring partner for Roger Gracie for his UFC fight (stand up, obviously had zero chance grappling a legend like him).

Tried wrestling but never really took to it. Almost competed in MMA but tore a knee and ankle ligament 2 weeks to the fight and decided not to do so again (in truth, stand up is what I've always enjoyed really).

But utterly love Martial Arts. I do think MMA has ruined the culter a bit. Now most just wanna be a "fighter" rather than a "Martial Artist".

I probably watch boxing more than anything else (3 fav boxers a Lomachenko, Rigondeaux and Linares).

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 17:47:54 24-03-2018

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 17:49:34 24-03-2018
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Mar 2018 17:50:33 17,464 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I also now teach kid kickboxing on the side on the weekends.
  • elstoof 24 Mar 2018 18:01:52 22,168 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We’re you ever the London Area Champion, and do you have a sister?
  • Technoishmatt 24 Mar 2018 18:15:14 3,028 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Martial arts are fun :) i participate mostly betwen the traditional side (for the art) and the self defence side (for the, err, self defence), which are not necessarily the same thing. I like the sparring / fighting side too, but the injuries can be a pain as I get older.

I had a bruised ribcage from a kick in a tournament once myself, only presented a little later. Indeed not much you can do :(, hope breathing is OK. Ibuprofen for swelling, though. I recently bruised my ribs falling off my bike... and the US hospital did an xray, prescribed me ibuprofun, and gave me a shot in the leg - fukkin over medication here, cost my insurance $1000s, they should have just listened to my breathing and sent me home.
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Mar 2018 18:16:22 17,464 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Hmmm, you're right on both accounts, yet I'm sure I'm not who you think I am, as very few know I have a sister and she doesn't compete (there's a 15 year age gap between us).

But good guess, especially London AC. I do wonder who you think I am though.
  • KnuttinAtoll 24 Mar 2018 18:20:36 6,508 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Muttler would have all of you for breakfast.
  • macmurphy 24 Mar 2018 19:27:03 3,631 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Hmmm, you're right on both accounts, yet I'm sure I'm not who you think I am, as very few know I have a sister and she doesn't compete (there's a 15 year age gap between us).

But good guess, especially London AC. I do wonder who you think I am though.
    Paging decks and his encyclopaedic forum knowledge. Dig out that thread, it was fucking hilarious.
  • macmurphy 24 Mar 2018 19:31:10 3,631 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder

I’m not mugging you off. There was a thread years ago where a Forumite had some super happy fun time with some area champions sister and he was flapping, hence the enquiry. It was very funny.

Dillian Whyte’s on tonight. Should be a great fight, I always rated him and he had AJ giving it bambi legs in their fight. His opponent looks like an absolute unit though. Read his a piece in him in the Times about his Chechen doping shocker. He seems really genuine, liked him offering his hand at the weigh in.
  • challenge_hanukkah 24 Mar 2018 19:33:54 9,242 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    1st Dan in the Shadowgang.
  • Frogofdoom 24 Mar 2018 19:34:28 11,223 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This would be the best coincidence ever :D

Looks like the thread has gone now, but look your friends In the eye and ask them about your sister.

https://community.eurogamer.net/thread/105279

Is the closest we have left.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 19:42:19 24-03-2018
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 24 Mar 2018 19:53:14 17,462 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Was just before my time I think but I remember hearing that the guy requested that any trace of the thread was removed from the site.
  • solidsneek 24 Mar 2018 20:05:33 763 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Breathing in as a large deep breath hurts if I stretch my right side and breath can’t really feel anything. Wasn’t even a good kick which has really annoyed me and it’s more the fact I can’t go now for a while until it heals and that
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.