Martial Arts Anyone? Page 3

• solidsneek 24 Mar 2018 22:54:56 763 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @mothercruncher Depends on the feedback I get ha-ha.

*When you instantly regret a comment*
  • Lukus 25 Mar 2018 11:32:21 21,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Anyway, broken ribs behind us, I've just taken up kickboxing, mainly as a more fun and interesting way of keeping fit (compared to the gym or jogging). The first few sessions almost killed me each time, as I'm not as fit as I used to be, but I kind of like that they push you further than you think you can go (I got about as close to vomiting as you can without actually vomiting). It really highlights just how far professional athletes go for their craft.

One other thing its highlighted is just how rubbish my flexibility is in my hips. I can throw decent punches, but I look like an old man with most of the kicks.

Any tips (specific stretches, etc.) for improving flexibility?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 25 Mar 2018 11:35:17 18,563 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been doing it for years and my hips are still shit. Sitting like this and pushing down on your knees will help though.

• Lukus 25 Mar 2018 11:39:31 21,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Decks Of all the characters they could have drawn they chose that. I will try it though. The weird thing is, some weeks are way worse than others in terms of the flexibility and fluidity, without any rhyme or reason that I can work out.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 25 Mar 2018 11:49:07 18,563 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It'll get better (sort of). Does your trainer do much stretching after the class?
  • Lukus 25 Mar 2018 13:01:02 21,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, there's a good warm up and warm down. I think the trouble is I'm not that active other than walking a lot throughout the rest of the week. So I probably just need to make a conscious effort to stretch every day.
  • The-Bodybuilder 25 Mar 2018 14:06:29 17,541 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hips is key.
    Also be aware that strength is just as important as flexibility, so you need to ensure your strong in the range you're stretching, than just having a passive range.

There's loads of stuff out there, just search on youtube for "Hip Mobility" and pretty much everything there will help you.

But you're gonna have to dedicate a lot of time to it if you want it to be better. Up until recent months, where training has gone down, I was spending a total of 3 hours a week on Just flexibility/mobility alone.

Just make sure yo dedicate at least one session a week to hip mobility. You'll start to enjoy it (well, some of it).
  • Lukus 25 Mar 2018 14:18:16 21,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cool, thanks, I'll check that all out.
  • solidsneek 25 Mar 2018 16:49:48 763 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Went today said it’s probably muscle damage as it hurts so bad checked my vitals and oxygen levels were good just said rest and keep warm with the occasional ice pack for good measure.
  • Blakester 3 Dec 2018 13:55:40 4,674 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Quick bump of the thread for a spot of self congratulations.

Passed my shodan (black belt) yesterday in shotokan karate. By far one of the toughest and most gruelling days I can remember. Despite my best efforts to remain calm and relaxed, I seemed to have a massive adrenaline dump in the first 5 minutes doing my basics which made the rest of the exam far tougher than it should have been. Scored some good points in kumite and just about retained enough energy to do a half-decent kata.

Coming back to karate after a 20 year hiatus has been incredibly challenging but also rewarding. I don't have the fluidity and flexibility, so having to make up for it with strong technique and spirit.
  • KnuttinAtoll 3 Dec 2018 14:03:11 6,870 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    spirit
    Well, cheers!
  • Derblington 3 Dec 2018 14:11:54 31,338 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Lukus

Regarding stretching - there's a website/app called ROMWOD. It's sub-based, about a tenner a month or something, but it has hundreds of romwods to go through with new ones every day. It was created by a brother duo that were/are involved in weight training, ma's and yoga.

Might be worth a look - I really like it as it's super easy to follow with 20 minute long daily workouts, and one double-length a week.
  • Lukus 3 Dec 2018 14:57:09 21,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cool, I'll take a look at that. I've been doing some DIY yoga-esque stretching of late, mainly for my back and neck, which are invaluable for stiffness.
    My hips are still pretty hit and miss though.

On the plus side I've bought a heavy bag so I can kick things at home too.
  • The-Bodybuilder 3 Dec 2018 16:23:21 17,541 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Blakester wrote:

Passed my shodan (black belt) yesterday in shotokan karate. By far one of the toughest and most gruelling days I can remember. Despite my best efforts to remain calm and relaxed, I seemed to have a massive adrenaline dump in the first 5 minutes doing my basics which made the rest of the exam far tougher than it should have been. Scored some good points in kumite and just about retained enough energy to do a half-decent kata.

Coming back to karate after a 20 year hiatus has been incredibly challenging but also rewarding. I don't have the fluidity and flexibility, so having to make up for it with strong technique and spirit.
    Amazing achievement, especially after 20 years.
  • craigy Staff 3 Dec 2018 16:36:25 9,409 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Blakester congrats! Did you still have a lot of the techniques squirrelled away in your muscle memory or were you essentially starting from scratch?
  • Salaman 3 Dec 2018 16:54:52 23,501 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Blakester wrote:

Congrats! I did Shotokan Karate from around 7 or 8 years old until I was 12 or so. Got a brown belt, then we moved and I stopped. Then I tried to get back to it later but never got into the swing of those 5 years 2x / week training.

I have looked into local clubs when I wanted to do some more sports a few years back but didn't find anything local.

I'm jealous of you now. Well done!
  • swede 3 Dec 2018 17:17:22 467 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Congratulations Blakester!

I did something similar, Wado-Ryu Karate in my teens, which I gave up after 2 years or so, blue belt I believe... and then 25 years later, after giving up rugby, started ITF Taekwondo, and after 5 years got to 1st Dan last December.
    Similar to your grading I suspect, the black belt grading took up most of a Saturday for me and I was totally exhausted by the end, but managed to push through and keep (some) control.

It's a good feeling though isn't it! Push on for 2 stripes now :)
  • Blakester 3 Dec 2018 18:21:26 4,674 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    @Blakester congrats! Did you still have a lot of the techniques squirrelled away in your muscle memory or were you essentially starting from scratch?
    Hmmm, it probably came back to me quicker than someone who’d never trained, but I’d forgotten all the katas and had a pretty woeful stance.

I was lucky I joined a club where the average age was 40 and the vast majority were 2nd Dan or higher. You learn fast when absolute killers are trying to take your head off every week.
  • Blakester 3 Dec 2018 18:27:58 4,674 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    swede wrote:
    Congratulations Blakester!

I did something similar, Wado-Ryu Karate in my teens, which I gave up after 2 years or so, blue belt I believe... and then 25 years later, after giving up rugby, started ITF Taekwondo, and after 5 years got to 1st Dan last December.
    Similar to your grading I suspect, the black belt grading took up most of a Saturday for me and I was totally exhausted by the end, but managed to push through and keep (some) control.

It's a good feeling though isn't it! Push on for 2 stripes now :)
    It’s an amazing feeling, although the wait to learn your fate is awful. They only call out those that have passed which is kinda brutal on those that didn’t.

A couple of years now until 2nd Dan. Plenty of time to build up my confidence again.
  • Derblington 3 Dec 2018 18:34:25 31,338 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I used to do Soo Bahk Do in a local club. It was me, the instructor (who was Korean and should have stopped teaching for a managerial role in the organisation but he enjoyed it too much) and 4 other guys, all 1st dan and up.

It was awesome. You learn loads that way. Unfortunately because the class was so small after a years or so it moved away to merge with a larger group and I couldn't travel to it.

I took up Muay Thai a couple of years later instead.
  • swede 3 Dec 2018 19:24:15 467 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Blakester yes that make us wait a Couple of weeks after dan gradings (to ‘reflect’) before you are told if you’ve passed. Going for 2nd next November hopefully. 2 new patterns (kata) to learn plus a shed load more line work technique and self defence.
  • Technoishmatt 3 Dec 2018 19:25:39 3,164 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Congrats!

I should be properly receiving my shodan in Okinawan Kempo (= basically karate) on Saturday, after my one-year probation... Will be mostly doing weapon kata this week.
  • Evasion 3 Dec 2018 23:49:15 31 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Does anyone have a favourite kata or form?
  • challenge_hanukkah 4 Dec 2018 05:31:05 10,005 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Breadbinlidabuki
  • fontgeeksogood 4 Dec 2018 06:44:14 5,036 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    I'm yet to take my final form
  • Blakester 4 Dec 2018 09:47:14 4,674 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It feels like I've been doing Bassai Dai every day for the last 5 years.
  • thedaveeyres 4 Dec 2018 09:49:36 13,807 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blakester wrote:

Bloody hell, well done! Does your club do Shodan Ho for adults or did you go straight up from 1st kyu?
  • Blakester 4 Dec 2018 10:19:46 4,674 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    Blakester wrote:

Bloody hell, well done! Does your club do Shodan Ho for adults or did you go straight up from 1st kyu?
    Thanks buddy. I had no idea what Shodan Ho was, so just had to google it.

My club is affiliated with the JKA, so they allow you to go from 1st kyu to Dan after a minimum of a year's training. I personally trained for 4 years as a 1st kyu before grading (due to various circumstances) so really feel as though I prepared thoroughly for it.
  • chessboxer 4 Dec 2018 12:37:09 325 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I spent a couple of years learning Kyokushin Karate when I was younger. Unfortunately I'm a bit too old for it now but I would have loved to do Xtreme Martial Arts with weapons training, particularly nunchaku, bo/jo and katana.

Edited by chessboxer at 12:40:10 04-12-2018
  • challenge_hanukkah 4 Dec 2018 12:40:53 10,005 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Have kept up with the chessboxing though?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.