Martial Arts Anyone? Page 4

Next Last
  • Salaman 4 Dec 2018 12:50:01 23,501 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Inspired by Blakester, looked up local karate clubs. I looked into it near where I lived and near work around 4-5 years ago but nothing was convenient in terms of distance/training days.

I've since moved though and there's 2 that might work.
  • thedaveeyres 4 Dec 2018 13:05:48 13,807 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do it, one of the best decisions I've ever made.
  • Technoishmatt 4 Dec 2018 13:15:06 3,164 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    chessboxer wrote:
    I spent a couple of years learning Kyokushin Karate when I was younger. Unfortunately I'm a bit too old for it now but I would have loved to do Xtreme Martial Arts with weapons training, particularly nunchaku, bo/jo and katana.
    wtf is Xtreme MA!?

I am enjoying doing a bit of Bo now. Just learnt Sakugawa Bo, it is loads of fun.
  • swede 4 Dec 2018 14:36:12 467 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Evasion wrote:
    Does anyone have a favourite kata or form?
    All the way through my training, my new kata (pattern or tul in TKD) was always my new favourite, likewise now, training for 2nd Dan I really enjoy one of my new patterns (Gae Baek - an ITF TKD pattern)

I was always told it's better to ask myself 'which ones do you hate?', and then evaluate why... then work on those ones.
  • Blakester 4 Dec 2018 14:48:33 4,674 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Inspired by Blakester, looked up local karate clubs. I looked into it near where I lived and near work around 4-5 years ago but nothing was convenient in terms of distance/training days.

I've since moved though and there's 2 that might work.
    Definitely do it, the health benefits alone make it worthwhile.

I would say though make sure you do a trial with each club to see what the standard of teaching and social culture is like. The latter is critical, as liking the people you train with really helps with motivation.
  • chessboxer 4 Dec 2018 15:09:51 325 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    wtf is Xtreme MA!?
    It is more of a free style martial art (a mixed martial art) which encorpartes gymnastics and sometimes weapons. It's bigger in America than it is here in the UK.

I was more into katas than kumite when I was doing Kyokushin so XMA would have been right up my street (when I was younger).

For years I have been following a guy called Matt Emig. He has won over 20 world titles in martial arts over the years and is now doing stunts in movies and TV (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Deadpool 2, Black Panther...). This is one of his "Nunchuck Samplers".
  • Technoishmatt 4 Dec 2018 15:19:40 3,164 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @chessboxer Ah O! I live in the US and have been to tournaments - I've seen some of that stuff. Bit too much style over substance for me! My interest is two-fold: self protection that works (not fighting / competition), and the cultural/art side of things.

It is fun swinging a weapon though :)
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.