Following Automatic Watches - Accuracy Page 5

• You-can-call-me-kal 29 Mar 2017 18:13:31 20,043 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah maybe, I've only tried on the one I originally linked to. There's no other watch for me :)
  • ozthegweat 21 Apr 2018 21:53:36 2,535 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This seems like the appropriate thread for this: I've been wearing an Apple Watch every day until I went on a longer vacation where I decided to leave it at home. Turns out I didn't miss the activity tracking and being instantly notified about messages, mails and other insignificant shit; the only thing I really missed – and this might sound stupid – was being able to quickly see what time it is.

When I got back last week I instead put on the cheap Esprit chronograph I bought a few years ago and I've been quite enjoying wearing it, even when sleeping. And now, of course, I'm thinking about buying a nice watch.

I'd like a chronograph with a dark dial and a metal bracelet, and it should be 42mm max as I have thin wrists. Other than that I'm pretty undecided about price range and movement type. I'm not sure if I want to put up with the imprecision of a mechanic watch, or even having to wind it daily (in case of a non-automatic). Regarding price, it seems like the sensible decision to buy something cheaper first (like this watch from Certina) instead of splurging on something more expensive. Although I'm kinda curious about an automatic, and the example above has a quarz movement.

What do the EG watch experts think about the best course of action?

Edited by ozthegweat at 21:54:47 21-04-2018
  • Deleted user 21 April 2018 23:43:02
    Just turn on your phone or ask someone else the time.

Pfft, watches.

Edited by AaronTurner at 23:43:13 21-04-2018
  • Technoishmatt 22 Apr 2018 02:50:52 4,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    buy one that you think is pretty. to me that means timeless, not clunky or bling.

automatic is nice, as no batteries but you will need an electric watch winder thing for when you take it off if it does date and month.

dont spend too much money as it would suck to lose it.

automatics will need a service every few years (I guess battery ones too?), so buying less obscure could mean more options for service centres. I need to send my watch to Texas for a service... but probably more in Europe.

if you just want something to tell the time, I also have a 12 quid casio that does it, and more accurately than you will ever need :)
  • elstoof 22 Apr 2018 06:53:53 25,868 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/ebel/1911--id6273806.htm

Something like this Ebel maybe? 38mm case, automatic with one of the most famous and solid chrono movements of all time.

You could also sell this for as much as you paid for it, and the value will only really go up

Edited by elstoof at 06:54:42 22-04-2018
  • freddymercurystwin 22 Apr 2018 07:38:33 2,174 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Just turn on your phone or ask someone else the time.

Pfft, watches.
    This is not an uncommon attitude towards watches but it seems to go against all of the instant gratification desires of the young and modern world, it's far quicker and easier to glance at your watch. Or maybe it's lost on me as I should only ever be holding my phone and should never pocket it or put it down?
  • freddymercurystwin 22 Apr 2018 07:39:15 2,174 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/ebel/1911--id6273806.htm

Something like this Ebel maybe? 38mm case, automatic with one of the most famous and solid chrono movements of all time.

You could also sell this for as much as you paid for it, and the value will only really go up
    Are you 75 years old?
  • elstoof 22 Apr 2018 08:01:35 25,868 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not sure that I understand the jibe
  • Carlo 22 Apr 2018 08:17:49 21,321 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I recently bought a Seiko divers watch ( 6309-7290) off ebay for £80, then spent another £80 getting it repaired.

I quite like the idea of owning a 30 year old watch, and the style is... Well, take a look.

That, and a Titanium Citizen WR200 is all I really need.
  • Deleted user 22 April 2018 08:18:25
    I've a Tag kirium F1 which has a nice black face and metal bracelet. It's also got some good hidden things like dual time, alarm and stopwatch lcd. Stopwatch has a design class in that the hands can cover the display at times which is a dumb omission. Thing I like about it most is the "sapphire glass". I've had it about 15 years and it's not for a scratch on it.

Things I don't like are cost (mine was an insurance replacement for an earlier much cheaper watch) and battery replacement costs which are significant. If you get it done cheaper they tend not to replace seals (as i learnt) and then moisture can get in and rust things).

I don't think it's spend the amount it cost if I had to pay for it myself though.
  • Deleted user 22 April 2018 08:21:16
    @Carlo I've been playing Skyrim too much, your post just made me think of Belethor.

/off to play.
  • yegon 22 Apr 2018 08:37:09 6,504 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @ozthegweat

Hamilton make some nice watches around that price range, maybe a bit pricier than the one you posted. Also, don't underestimate Seiko. Their Presage line is generally a great watch for the money.

I've loved watches for a long time and faced a dilemma when the Apple Watch came along. I like tech and keeping fit blah blah. After a spell of wearing the Apple Watch exclusively, I only ever use it for gym etc these days. I don't need to be motivated to exercise, I always have anyway, and I don't kid myself that I need constant notifications and
    tbh they became an irritant. I've been back wearing my mechanicals for ages now, I get an intangible satisfaction from wearing them that doesn't exist with a smart watch and I don't miss the fuss of wearing the latter.

Using a phone for timekeeping, bah, that involves yet more phone interaction and the more I stay away from constantly using it the better I feel.

For Seiko

https://www.yorkshirewatches.co.uk

https://www.seiyajapan.com
  • Carlo 22 Apr 2018 08:42:14 21,321 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Also, don't underestimate Seiko. Their Presage line is generally a great watch for the money.
    Grand Seiko indeed however...

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-japan-82/seiko-automatic-alpinist-watch-sarb017-mens-watch-1850.html

Just look at it!
  • yegon 22 Apr 2018 08:46:20 6,504 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ha! I seem to be a bit alone on this - I really don't like the Alpinist, I find it quite hideous, grotesque even.

As for Grand Seiko, I'm trying to avoid talking about much pricier stuff on here. I can namedrop my watches on Watchuseek without fear of endless wtf-how-much-did-you-spend tomfoolery. On here, it'd be a thread derailer with "use your phone muppet" every third post.

Edited by yegon at 08:50:34 22-04-2018
  • Load_2.0 22 Apr 2018 08:46:24 31,885 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @ozthegweat

At this sort of price point brand I think citizen make exceptional watches. I probably wouldn't look at a sub £500 auto. Probably more hassle than it's worth. If you wanted to spend a bit more Longines, Tissot and Hamilton have some nice watches.

However if you don't mind a bit of a chunky dive style (I think they work casual and a bit more dressed up) than my suggestion would be a citizen eco drive. They are packed with tech and for me on a par with Swiss megabuck brands for reliability and innovation.

http://www.watchshop.com/mens-citizen-chrono-perpetual-a-t-alarm-chronograph-radio-controlled-eco-drive-watch-at4000-02e-p99941073.html

It comes on a metal strap as well if that's your preference.
  • elstoof 22 Apr 2018 09:01:27 25,868 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    Ha! I seem to be a bit alone on this - I really don't like the Alpinist, I find it quite hideous, grotesque even.

Not my cup of tea either, but their Credors are incredible.

Go on, give us a name drop and I’ll give you one of mine
  • JamboWayOh 22 Apr 2018 09:28:32 19,988 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /looks sheepishly at his Casio watch
  • elstoof 22 Apr 2018 09:35:22 25,868 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I’d take a Casio over an Apple any day
  • yegon 22 Apr 2018 09:53:31 6,504 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @elstoof

Ha!

My main wears are a blue Tudor Pelagos, and a Grand Seiko Hi-Beat.

I love my blue Pelagos because it’s a channeling of multiple watches I’ve long admired - the classic lines of the oyster style case, the vintage Tudor snowflake, and the Smurf, albeit not nearly as flashy as the latter (thankfully).

Jura watches have a nice showroom in Leeds for Grand Seikos, prior to visiting there I’d only ever seen GS on the net.

99% of the population haven’t a clue about these watches, and that really suits me. Oh, it’s “just a Seiko”, heheh.

Had a Rolex BLNR for a while, lovely watch but way way WAY too blingy for my tastes. The Pelagos kinda replaced it, rugged and a tenth as flashy lol.

Should add, I’ve no interest in cars and begrudge every penny spent on them. I’ll be driving 1L Hyundai’s till they stop making them XD. Point being, the shudder that some may experience when seeing watch prices, I get when people are talking about cars. Spend on what you like I say.

Edited by yegon at 10:08:50 22-04-2018
  • elstoof 22 Apr 2018 10:22:37 25,868 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I’m funny with Rolex, I like them when I see others wearing them but I’ve never wanted to own one and doubt I ever will. The watch that gets the most attention for me from most people is my Tank even though it’s just a Solo quartz. Trying to justify a LC Tank but there’s not much room for two. No one really notices my others apart from watch freaks, my favourite is the Saxonia, 35mm WG
  • yegon 22 Apr 2018 10:28:00 6,504 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I’m now exactly the same.

This quote from some TZ-UK forums nailed it years ago;

"Stage 1: The person on the street who has next to no knowledge of watches: “Oh Rolex, they are the best watches in the world. Everyone will think “I’ve made it” if I own one”.

Stage 2: The person who has gained a little bit of watch knowledge, but thinks that they know a lot more than they actually do: “Oh Rolex, they are totally over-rated, not that good and only worn by people who believe the marketing hype”.

Stage 3: The person who knows quite a lot about watches… and spends far too much time on watch forums: “Oh Rolex, not the crème de la crème, but a good make which will last for years to come and will hold its value well over time” – Or – “A decent make…but not my cup of tea”."

I'm at stage 3, cup of tea.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?90387-The-3-stages-of-Rolex-opinion

Edited by yegon at 10:30:13 22-04-2018
  • elstoof 22 Apr 2018 11:01:43 25,868 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Heh, yeah sounds about right. Still, I don’t think you’re a “proper” collector unless you’ve had a few Rolexes (I’m not a proper collector)
  • ozthegweat 22 Apr 2018 11:20:44 2,535 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thank you all for your input. I am putting together a list of watches I like, and will visit some jewelry stores next week.

Also, I made the mistake of looking at Omega Speedmasters, very nice, but also very expensive...
  • yegon 22 Apr 2018 11:25:09 6,504 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @elstoof

I suppose. Never been a collector, just someone with a couple of nice watches and someone who’s spent too much time on watch forums, ha. I’ve said it before and not stuck to it, but I suspect I’m pretty much done buying watches now, been nearly 3 years now since I’ve spent a penny (excluding Apple Watch whenever the series 2 came out, but these days I consider that more an occasional fitness tracker as I;ve said above).

Nothing I’m lusting after when visiting Hodinkee etc, just admiring stuff from afar.

Edited by yegon at 11:27:28 22-04-2018

Edited by yegon at 11:28:06 22-04-2018
  • Load_2.0 22 Apr 2018 11:26:17 31,885 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Your search is over friend.

Man I hate image hosting sites!

Edited by Load_2.0 at 11:28:41 22-04-2018
  • You-can-call-me-kal 22 Apr 2018 11:35:29 20,043 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Still saving for my Max Bill. Nearly there.

In the meantime my old faithful Seiko 5 continues to be the most reliable, accurate and never say die watch in the universe. I swear after the apocalypse the cockroaches will tell the time on Seiko 5s. For £80 they are ridiculous value for an automatic watch.
  • ozthegweat 22 Apr 2018 11:40:17 2,535 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That would go perfectly with my leopard thong and diamond frenulum piercing.
  • Deleted user 22 April 2018 11:49:06
    I'm reluctant to post about my timepieces as I don't want people thinking I'm showing off but today I'm wearing a Gooch "The Admiral".
  • anephric 22 Apr 2018 14:26:57 4,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you want a cheap auto that's pretty solid and don't want to pay stupid money, try a Seiko 5. Cheap as chips.

I've got a couple of autos, nothing wankery, Fortis (I think they've gone bust now) and a couple of cheapish Victorinox quartzes. I don't think I could wear anything worth more than a grand on my wrist.

Edit: doh, already mentioned.

Edited by anephric at 14:39:26 22-04-2018
  • You-can-call-me-kal 22 Apr 2018 14:46:39 20,043 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What am I, chopped liver?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.