Following Automatic Watches - Accuracy Page 3

• jellyhead 20 Jan 2011 18:20:28 24,346 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nice collection, dave. Is that a DeVille i can see there?
    I love them.
  • gamingdave 20 Jan 2011 18:29:03 4,840 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Nice collection, dave. Is that a DeVille i can see there?
    I love them.

Nope, no DeVilles. The top right one is a Constellation, and the other gold on the right is a Seasmaster. Most are Seamasters, apart from the 2 Speedys, couple more Coneys, the 30T2, and obviously the funky Time Computer and Chrono-Quartz. Got a few other random pieces in the collection, but its mainly all Omega and mainly from the 70s.
  • terminalterror 20 Jan 2011 18:32:29 18,931 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    MrSemprini wrote:
    The Citizen Eco Drive range is worth looking at. Depends what you mean by cheap really. Casio G Shocks for something a little more affordable. They do a Waveceptor range too which may interest you.

I have a Casio Waveceptor. It is great just being able to rely on it having the correct time, and not even having to worry about daylight savings etc. It just works.

Battery is also excellent. Was supposed to last 3 years. Still going strong 7 years on, which isn't bad considering it checks the radio time signal 4 times each night, I use the alarm most mornings and frequently use the illumination thingy.

They've got cheaper too. Mine was at the cheap end of the range at the time and cost 100. You can get a similar one for 30 new now.
  • President_Weasel 20 Jan 2011 19:01:59 12,355 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have a new Malvern Automatic from Christopher Ward. Not sure what movement is inside it, but apparently it's 25 jewels. Seems to keep good time, but then I haven't been anal enough to measure how many seconds it gains or loses per day - plus I don't always leave it the same way up at night.
  • oldskooldeano 20 Jan 2011 19:33:49 2,980 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I'm currently rocking this bad boy.

I want to get an elastic metal strap for it though. The original mings.

My mum had one of those in the seventies. I used to gaze at it with amazement watching the arms go around.
    This is a fascinating thread by the way. You guys impress me and have opened my eyes to the world of chronometer fetishism. You also scare me just a little bit.
  • SirScratchalot 20 Jan 2011 19:37:02 7,920 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I misread the title as atomic watches and was fucking intrigued thinking I had got to get me one of those...
  • mal 20 Jan 2011 20:42:48 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    I have a Casio Waveceptor. It is great just being able to rely on it having the correct time, and not even having to worry about daylight savings etc. It just works.
    I have a mobile phone.

OT: Old manual watches should be able to keep within a minute a month in my experience, provided you wind them regularly. That's what, about 2 seconds a day? These automatic watches sound rubbish.
  • gamingdave 20 Jan 2011 20:55:31 4,840 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    An old manual hand wound watch keeping to 2 seconds a day is not the norm, thats a lot better than you would normally expect.
  • AaronTurner 20 Jan 2011 20:59:45 11,516 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This thread has left me with a thought, I never update my phone or computer times, do they do it automatically?
  • gamingdave 20 Jan 2011 21:01:52 4,840 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They can do. Some phones will update from the network, though the degree of accuracy can vary. Same with computers, Macs can be set to update automatically, and I would assume there is a way to make a PC do it as well.

If left to their own devices, neither device is especially good at long term time keeping though. In fact phones are normally pretty rubbish.
  • terminalterror 20 Jan 2011 23:24:53 18,931 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    mal wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:
    I have a mobile phone.

My phone is only accurate to about 20 seconds or so (and only displays the time in minutes, not seconds), my watch always has the time to the nearest second. Either is good enough for everyday use though.

However, my watch is always on my wrist, so it is utterly trivial to know the time. Pulling my phone out of my pocket, then hitting the unlock button to turn on the screen takes more effort.
  • gamingdave 20 Jan 2011 23:55:09 4,840 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    However, my watch is always on my wrist, so it is utterly trivial to know the time. Pulling my phone out of my pocket, then hitting the unlock button to turn on the screen takes more effort.

This is very true. And once you get above the 50 mark, watches stop being just functional devices, but objects of satisfaction. I get a lot of pleasure out of owning watches, and marvel at their design both inside and out. Science and art combining to create something special, and IMO the only jewelry/accessory (bar a wedding ring) a man should wear.

Glancing at a quality watch is a pleasurable experience that extends the simply functional task of knowing the time.
  • mal 21 Jan 2011 01:54:44 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    My phone is only accurate to about 20 seconds or so (and only displays the time in minutes, not seconds), my watch always has the time to the nearest second. Either is good enough for everyday use though.
    As gamingdave has said, it'll need to be set to update the time from the operator, and the operator needs to support that otherwise it'll only be as accurate as any other quartz watch (or less, by the sounds of it). But it'll still update to summer time automatically, if it's of a recent vintage.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2011 02:09:21
    gamingdave wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:

This is very true. And once you get above the 50 mark, watches stop being just functional devices, but objects of satisfaction. I get a lot of pleasure out of owning watches, and marvel at their design both inside and out. Science and art combining to create something special, and IMO the only jewelry/accessory (bar a wedding ring) a man should wear.

Glancing at a quality watch is a pleasurable experience that extends the simply functional task of knowing the time.
    Agree 100% with every bit of this. I'm not a gypsy so the only bit of jewellery I ever plan on wearing is a nice watch and a wedding ring. I love good quality products, and having this lovely piece of fine engineering on my wrist is something I appreciate. Sometime, shock horror, it is nice when form has a say over function. :)
  • BlackSentoki 21 Jan 2011 03:23:10 920 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    gamingdave wrote:
    terminalterror wrote:

Agree 100% with every bit of this. I'm not a gypsy so the only bit of jewellery I ever plan on wearing is a nice watch and a wedding ring. I love good quality products, and having this lovely piece of fine engineering on my wrist is something I appreciate. Sometime, shock horror, it is nice when form has a say over function. :)

I must agree with this too. Growing up and through university I wore the same Swatch watch I'd been given on my 13th birthday as a present (a testament to how well it was made that it lasted over 10 years), but as I've got older I've found I now have a drawer of watches that I change depending on the occasion and outfit. I also have friends who, upon getting engaged where the man has bought his fiancee a fancy ring she has later returned the favour by buying him an expensive watch.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2011 07:57:55
    Exactly what happened here, the watch was an engagement present (combined with birthday and Christmas due to cost!).
  • henro_ben 21 Jan 2011 08:32:15 2,390 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:

Nice, I've got a 1960's Mickey Mouse watch which I'm rather fond of.

Keeps dreadful time though, also completely impossible to tell the time from it when drunk! Blury double vision and a cartoon mouse pointing at numbers do not mix well...
  • Fake_Blood 21 Jan 2011 08:56:15 9,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My Tokyoflash is very accurate but it takes me 30 seconds to decipher the actual time from it.
  • MrSemprini 21 Jan 2011 11:12:31 9,671 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Difficult to tell the time you say? How about telling the time on this Sarpaneva Moonshine?

President Weasel wrote:
    I have a new Malvern Automatic from Christopher Ward. Not sure what movement is inside it, but apparently it's 25 jewels.

It's a Sellita SW200, which is a direct copy of the standard ETA 2824. CW has some nice pieces, for an entry level automatic it's hard to beat his prices.
  • President_Weasel 21 Jan 2011 13:24:22 12,355 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks for the info Semprini.

I also have a couple of Tokyoflash watches, but I wear the automatic all the time these days. They were good conversation pieces, but quite annoying to actually tell the time on, needing a button press (and in the case of the "waku" counting three different light flashes). Made it a lot harder to surreptitiously check the time in meetings too.
    I found myself more and more wearing a digital that cost me less than a tenner in the Amazon sale, and decided it was time to get myself a "real watch".
  • Salaman 21 Jan 2011 14:19:11 23,733 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Load "$" wrote:

8 seconds is slightly fast for a new auto with that engine, I suggest taking it off when wanking.

:D
  • boo 21 Jan 2011 15:08:17 13,538 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    henro_ben wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Nice, I've got a 1960's Mickey Mouse watch which I'm rather fond of.

Keeps dreadful time though, also completely impossible to tell the time from it when drunk! Blury double vision and a cartoon mouse pointing at numbers do not mix well...

Reminds me of one of Humphrey Lyttleton's classic sign-offs when he was presenting I'm Sorry I haven't A Clue...

"Well, I look at my watch, and I see that Mickey Mouse is pointing at the six, which tells me that my Rolex is probably a fake..."
  • Kill_Crazy 29 Mar 2017 04:24:47 2,552 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I realise this is a bit of a dead thread but didn't want to make a new one. Does anyone who has an automatic watch use an auto winder? I'm getting an auto watch soon and was looking at the Chiyoda one as it didn't seem too pricey (~60) but was a bit put off as there's a few reports of the motor getting noisy after a few months. Any recommendations gratefully received. Low noise is a must as it will be in the bedroom and hopefully 100 or less. TIA
  • Deleted user 29 March 2017 04:32:10
    Never bothered, but always been interested. Most of mine don't have a date function let alone other complications so it's not the end of the world to get it wound and the time set
  • Kill_Crazy 29 Mar 2017 06:33:56 2,552 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It was more for the mechanical maintenance of it. I won't be wearing it every day and never during a work week and they keep the mechanism in good order versus letting them run down all the time. Cheers for the input though.
  • Rusty_M 29 Mar 2017 06:36:37 7,103 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I didn't even know this thread existed. Got an automatic for my 30th and love it, but I rarely wear it after my wife got me a smart watch two years later. Never tried an auto winder, even though it stops in under 48 hours if not worn. Quick to wind and set as PES_Fanboy says.

Not checked whether it gains or loses time. It really doesn't suit its plastic strap, though. Need to replace that. I know too little about watches to even know if Bulova is a good make.
  • Deleted user 29 March 2017 06:45:21
    Kill_Crazy wrote:
    It was more for the mechanical maintenance of it.
    You really don't need to worry about that
  • Kill_Crazy 29 Mar 2017 08:13:12 2,552 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is that just a ploy to sell something then? I've got a couple of mates with some higher end watches that use them and they reckon they're worth it. Good to hear other owners views. Can't wait to get it 😀
  • Deleted user 29 March 2017 08:30:16
    It's something that nobody has ever been able to prove to me exists (winders provide increased longevity). Servicing though, I'm all for
  • Kill_Crazy 29 Mar 2017 08:31:30 2,552 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rusty_M
    Smartwatch is next on my list 😀 What did you get and what's the battery life/ general use like. I like the look of the new LG Sport one but need to research some more first. Really want one that does GPS/ HR/ takes a SIM card and has decent battery before i jump in. Might have to wait another generation though.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.