The UK General Politics Thread Page 963

• DJCopa 13 Jun 2018 14:06:18 1,583 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's bullshit though - There is plenty of Corbyn debate here, for example, along with Brexit. Just not racist shit - Yes, racist when the topic descends into labelling a whole swathe of people from a certain ethnic background as all the same.

SMILEY FACE.
  • DJCopa 13 Jun 2018 14:07:57 1,583 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why does it have to be 'the tolerant left' - Again, just memes + phrases that you (yes YOU) latch onto with no real meaning.

\Please call me a soyboy or something similar
  • RandolphCarter 13 Jun 2018 14:09:40 1,087 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    DJCopa wrote:
    Why does it have to be 'the tolerant left' - Again, just memes + phrases that you (yes YOU) latch onto with no real meaning.

\Please call me a soyboy or something similar
    Ok, if you insist, Soyboy.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 13 Jun 2018 14:10:02 1,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Post deleted
  • RandolphCarter 13 Jun 2018 14:11:02 1,087 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    @RandolphCarter

If you actually provided intellectually stimulating conversation that would be ok.
    Ok, Jambo. Just for you.
  • nickthegun 13 Jun 2018 14:12:08 74,710 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The thing that a few special cases forget is that this is a gaming forum and literally nobody wants a serious debate about anything.

Most people can't be arsed to even read a post if it contains more than 4 sentences.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 13 Jun 2018 14:12:34 1,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm sorry nick what did you say?
  • nickthegun 13 Jun 2018 14:14:38 74,710 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THAT WAS TWO SENTENCES! THIS IS EVEN WORSE THAN I THOUGHT
  • whatfruitlivesagain 13 Jun 2018 14:15:34 1,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Can you guys just make a separate "I Love Tommy Robinson fan club thread and just leave this one open for debate on the continued infighting of the May's Mutineers, The People's Republic of Corbyn, The Liberal Democrats chess club and the FRREEEEEDDDDOOOOOM Party
  • whatfruitlivesagain 13 Jun 2018 14:17:26 1,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    This being you know a politics as the heaping bag of shitmongers you support can't even win a parish council seat.
  • Dgzter 13 Jun 2018 14:19:54 2,383 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's not fair: Fruit's using separate posts and avoiding punctuation to come in under the 4 sentences rule!

I'm having to read and comprehend this shit!
  • whatfruitlivesagain 13 Jun 2018 14:21:14 1,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    All I'm going to say is, never appoint Phattso to enforce your rules.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Jun 2018 14:22:04 23,683 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SNP walk out of Westminster. So, the grievances are fair enough but what was the point behind the walkout, just general protest.
    What am I missing?
  • UsernamePending 13 Jun 2018 14:23:43 445 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    @RandolphCarter You're not here to debate you're here to shout that you're better. You have no interest in listening just spreading your thinly veiled racist bullshit.

We have spirited discussions in this forum just not ones with provocative right wing basement dwelling incel twats. Yes my insults may invalid my arguments or lower the debate but I have no interest in your opinions, thoughts or guidance on the matters at hand.

Tommy Robinson is in prison because he broke the law. He was warned twice by the authorities but carried on anyway. His actions could have resulted in a mistrial and the accused would have walked free.

Hate speech was not just brought in to protect muslims. It was brought in for protection for every race, sexuality, gender or creed. As was hate aggravating factors for all violent crimes. No more "Paki bashing" or "queer kicking"
    Shall we start again?
    The information you wrote about Robinson's imprisonment is not true. He was there for the sentencing. He was not there before that. There was no risk of a mistrial. The accused walked into court free on that day. The imprisonment was gagged, then the gag was lifted, when challenged, due to international outrage.

Laws are supposed to be for all. "Hate speech" is now used to silence critics of Islam. There were examples of it's use or misuse to silence some fundamentalist Christian views on homosexuality. There are also Issues implicit in Islamic doctrine that might seem to denigrate other faiths and orientations, so the hate laws would apply there too.

The problem for advocates of free speech is where would you draw the line? I can see a clear one at the moment that is crossed when violence is threatened or insults that don't contain any justified criticism are used. The line keeps getting re-drawn ever nearer the dissenting critics, by twisting them to be racists and refusing any justification to criticise.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 13 Jun 2018 14:23:53 1,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    To show they all supported their mans position.

Or to go get some change to key the cabinets cars.
  • DJCopa 13 Jun 2018 14:25:04 1,583 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm on ignore BUT, it was because time given to discuss EU laws coming back to UK Parliament for devolved gov, instead of going to them (I think it's ones on fisheries, food labelling, etc.) was only 20mins.

One stood up to force the issue, he wouldn't sit down, got chucked out so all walked.

Edit: For Ecosse.

Edited by DJCopa at 14:25:34 13-06-2018
  • DJCopa 13 Jun 2018 14:26:03 1,583 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PLEASE GOD - MAKE-IT-STOP...
  • disusedgenius 13 Jun 2018 14:26:03 9,296 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UsernamePending wrote:
    They are both points along an ill defined grey area. Can you tell me what the difference is between a person (living in Britain) who prefers a Muslim identity over a British one, and an Islamic radical?
    I feel like the study made it quite clear:

a score of sympathy or condemnation they gave towards 16 terrorist actions, such as the use of suicide bombs to fight injustice.

Considering that this is a survey being done with a group of people who identity strongly as Muslim would show that there's two things at play. It's not like I expect every Chelsea fan to be okay with C18 or whatever, so I wouldn't put those on a linear path any more than I would a religious identity.

But mostly I reject this idea of having a binary, ordered list of identities in the first place, it's a base premise that leads to this kind of paranoia.
  • UsernamePending 13 Jun 2018 14:27:56 445 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    UsernamePending wrote:
    They are both points along an ill defined grey area. Can you tell me what the difference is between a person (living in Britain) who prefers a Muslim identity over a British one, and an Islamic radical?
    I feel like the study made it quite clear:

a score of sympathy or condemnation they gave towards 16 terrorist actions, such as the use of suicide bombs to fight injustice.

Considering that this is a survey being done with a group of people who identity strongly as Muslim would show that there's two things at play. It's not like I expect every Chelsea fan to be okay with C18 or whatever, so I wouldn't put those on a linear path any more than I would a religious identity.

But mostly I reject this idea of having a binary, ordered list of identities in the first place, it's a base premise that leads to this kind of paranoia.
    I reject that notion too, so understand why you can't discriminate between those two types. As you said, It is telling.
  • chopsen 13 Jun 2018 14:33:16 20,189 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DJCopa wrote:
    I'm on ignore BUT, it was because time given to discuss EU laws coming back to UK Parliament for devolved gov, instead of going to them (I think it's ones on fisheries, food labelling, etc.) was only 20mins.

One stood up to force the issue, he wouldn't sit down, got chucked out so all walked.

Stupid really.

A great bit of theatre but it now excludes them from any debate or voting.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Jun 2018 14:35:37 23,683 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DJCopa wrote:

Cheers.
    You're back but on probation :)
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Jun 2018 14:36:01 23,683 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    DJCopa wrote:

Stupid really.

A great bit of theatre but it now excludes them from any debate or voting.
    That's what I thought but wondered if I missed something.
  • DJCopa 13 Jun 2018 14:38:37 1,583 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @chopsen Yep - Brexit really is going to split us all for at least a generation (and longer, for the Union itself).
  • DJCopa 13 Jun 2018 14:39:22 1,583 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Ha :-P
  • UsernamePending 13 Jun 2018 14:48:52 445 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Also you still haven't said what views of Tommy Robinson that you support.
    You are like a literary equivalent of a James Brown concert performance.

Edited by UsernamePending at 14:49:42 13-06-2018
  • JamboWayOh 13 Jun 2018 14:57:27 8,758 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Brilliant
  • brokenkey 13 Jun 2018 14:57:28 9,805 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    One got kicked out for the rest of today's session. The rest just followed him out. They'll all be back tomorrow.

I'm going to check out what they're missing:

Up to 20 minutes Ten Minute Rule Motion: Packaging (Extended Producer
    Responsibility) (Anna McMorrin)
    Up to six hours European Union (Withdrawal) Bill: Further consideration of Lords
    Amendments (Day 2)
    No debate Statutory Instruments (Motions for approval)
    No debate Presentation of public petitions
    Until 7.30pm or for
    half an hour
    Adjournment Debate: Proposed ban on foie gras imports (Henry
    Smith)

ok, so the Euro Bill is pretty important - but the rest of them can come back in for that.

Edited by brokenkey at 14:59:22 13-06-2018
  • whatfruitlivesagain 13 Jun 2018 15:03:54 1,203 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    They will all be back this afternoon apart from the right honorable Blackford.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.