Following The UK General Politics Thread Page 1015

• You-can-call-me-kal 8 Aug 2018 21:24:33 12,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I honestly believe he could become PM as leader of UKIP. They are the ones looking to use the Trump template to get to power. They’re aligning with the likes of Milo and Dankula.
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Aug 2018 21:36:47 4,485 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The difference is that UKIP is a fringe party in the UK. Johnson joining UKIP arguably makes Corbyn the favourite for PM (in the she way that, I dunno, David Miliband joining the Lib Dems is the end of Corbyn's chances)
  • elstoof 8 Aug 2018 21:40:41 21,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    UKIP don’t have anywhere near enough funding to win the seats in Parliament though
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Aug 2018 21:47:24 4,485 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They can win enough to wipe out the Tory majority. It's tough to see them taking many Labor seats but loads of seats are quite marginal now, so with a decent targeted campaign they could do some damage.
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Aug 2018 21:48:32 4,485 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seriously though, no fucker is voting for Prison Paul... are they?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Aug 2018 21:50:32 7,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    UKIP are completely locked out by FPTP. They've only had two MPs ever and they were both defections from the Tories.

Far more likely would be a takeover of the Tory Party similar to the alt right and Christian Fundamentalist takeovers of the Republican Party in the States or Corbyn and Momentum with Labour.

Although of course, Johnson is far more of mainstream Tory politics now than any of those groups were before they came to the fore.

I think he's actually more of mainstream Toryism than he is of any of the alt right Bannon types who may come to back him and his latest leadership ambitions.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Aug 2018 22:01:22 7,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Given the ever more clear divisions within the grand coalitions of the established parties of government I do wonder if we'd be better represented by them both being broken up so we can all vote for the parts we actually like instead of being furious at our allies for doing it wrong
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Aug 2018 22:15:40 4,485 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds like a great recipe for a functioning government
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Aug 2018 22:16:27 4,485 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The fact is, our public institutions have long since failed us and need overhauling. Badly.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Aug 2018 22:30:09 7,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If only it wasn't completely counter to the interests of our two potential governments to fix things
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Aug 2018 22:31:22 7,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Also imagine how much fun politics twitter would be during months long European style coalition negotiations
  • Not-a-reviewer 8 Aug 2018 22:55:31 5,341 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    The fact is, our public institutions have long since failed us and need overhauling. Badly.
    When you say public institutions, who do you mean as there’s hundreds?
  • thelzdking 8 Aug 2018 23:56:02 8,553 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Given the ever more clear divisions within the grand coalitions of the established parties of government I do wonder if we'd be better represented by them both being broken up so we can all vote for the parts we actually like instead of being furious at our allies for doing it wrong
    The UK needs electoral reform so badly it's painful. Both the Tory and Labour parties are anachronistic relics propped up by a sclerotic FPTP system and a lazy electorate. They both need sending to the glue factory.
  • GoatApocalypse 9 Aug 2018 06:30:28 4,485 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not-a-reviewer wrote:
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    When you say public institutions, who do you mean as there’s hundreds?
    I'm being deliberately provocative, but I'd say government and the majority of its departments, further education, higher education and established media.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Aug 2018 09:50:26 7,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Working in higher ed, turning degrees into a product students buy and research and teaching outcomes into metrics to be measured in a marketplace (REF and TEF) have all damaged the integrity of the sector.

Plus it seems like all those changes are specifically designed to negatively impact upon the mental wellbeing of staff and students.

Aaaaaaaaaaand absolutely fuck the cost cutting that has led to the casualisation of early career academia. Unhealthy, insecure high pressure work that crushes so many once hopeful and capable young voices and forces them to leave or turn to counselling in too many (genuinely lots of) cases
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Aug 2018 09:52:02 7,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Also school age education has been clipped by the Gove era reforms to wreck morale and lower outcomes for pupils
  • basmans_grob 9 Aug 2018 10:04:01 1,487 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I disagree with some of those comment about HE but fuck the gove reforms with a large shitty stick.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Aug 2018 10:43:25 7,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    At every institution either I've worked or have friends who work the expectation on staff and students has become really skewed.

The culture of golden VCs on ten times the wages of academics hasn't helped either.

It's basically capitalism in microcosm but at such an accelerated pace the institutions have been forcing it before they're ready. A cultural revolution that's all short termism and could really hurt it in the medium term.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Aug 2018 16:08:02 7,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Good to see Labour have rediscovered the principle of allowing the offended minority to decide whether they feel victimised when it comes to the Boris problem.

Tribal politics is a joke.
  • H1ggyLTD 9 Aug 2018 16:52:52 10,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't compare the two scenarios, tbf.
  • H1ggyLTD 9 Aug 2018 17:08:54 10,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wes Streeting is gonna have to go.

Edited by H1ggyLTD at 17:09:01 09-08-2018
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Aug 2018 17:12:04 7,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Can't compare the two scenarios, tbf.
    It's more the reaction than the original offence I'm talking about. But if you're happy for one community to be denied the same standard of respect as another I guess that's on your conscience.
  • H1ggyLTD 9 Aug 2018 17:15:44 10,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You keep talking for an entire community.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Aug 2018 17:22:55 7,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm just using that as short hand for people, ethnicity, faith, race or whatever term you'd prefer and you know it.

But then maybe you don't since you think it's fine to be racist if you're on the "right" team.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Aug 2018 17:22:56 7,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm just using that as short hand for people, ethnicity, faith, race or whatever term you'd prefer and you know it.

But then maybe you don't since you think it's fine to be racist if you're on the "right" team.
  • H1ggyLTD 9 Aug 2018 17:24:19 10,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Of course i do.

You muppet.
  • mothercruncher 10 Aug 2018 08:19:48 15,245 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Corbyn.

What a fucking melt.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/09/corbyn-hopes-to-avert-calls-for-public-vote-on-brexit-at-conference
  • elstoof 10 Aug 2018 08:21:52 21,348 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The man who once claimed that Labour members will determine policy, not him
  • Dougs 10 Aug 2018 08:27:12 86,856 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's utterly shambolic, across the board.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Aug 2018 09:01:12 7,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    The man who once claimed that Labour members will determine policy, not him
    If they agree with them then they get a say, if not the leadership and their allies will try to prevent a debate from even being had.

Classic Labour managed democracy in action.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.