The UK General Politics Thread Page 1038

• JamboWayOh 9 Sep 2018 10:02:24 9,190 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just reading the comments on that twitter thread... Urgh
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Sep 2018 10:17:14 21,937 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble indeed. I seem to recall hearing that around 8% of the people who voted for leave have died due to old age.
  • Frogofdoom 9 Sep 2018 10:18:32 9,624 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That can't be right, they had a massive number of older voters but there can't have been over a million of them dead in a couple of years.
  • mothercruncher 9 Sep 2018 10:45:19 15,187 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shame.
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Sep 2018 11:08:56 21,937 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You may well be right and I may have misheard or misremembered the exact figure. Still, statistically a significant number of people will have died since the brexit vote.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Sep 2018 11:23:29 7,778 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Stop Boris has always been a far far bigger grouping among Tory MPs than Boris for PM.

Like Corbyn but people have actually heard of him before his leadership bid only with worse opinions and funnier hair.

The MPs could keep his name off a members ballot but they'd be vilified for it. If he makes it to the members vote he definitely wins. These comments about burkas and suicide vests won't stop him, they're the reason he'll win.
  • GoatApocalypse 9 Sep 2018 11:23:55 4,371 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    I still think second referendum will lead the UK staying the EU as people are sick of the useless government's lack of progress and also people have seen the damage its done to the economy, the pound's market value etc. Of course you will have the Leavers who don't give a fuck but I think its smaller number who voted in 2016.

Also the gammon outrage if we stay in the EU, would be the icing on the cake
    Leave wins by a bigger margin. The only variable now is the sense that the first referendum is being undermined, which is a powerful tool for the Leave campaign.
  • northernlights 9 Sep 2018 11:32:39 996 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    An exceedingly grim comment, Iím not sure itíll register with most these days though given the coarsening of politics over the last few years.
    Correct ! Politics is all tribal now ! Whatever Boris says doesnít matter as people would stay itís far worse what may is doing giving in to the EU. Doesnít matter what is being said itís who is saying it

Edited by northernlights at 11:33:03 09-09-2018
  • GoatApocalypse 9 Sep 2018 12:20:18 4,371 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was politics ever not tribal?
  • Duffking 9 Sep 2018 12:31:00 15,828 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    I still think second referendum will lead the UK staying the EU as people are sick of the useless government's lack of progress and also people have seen the damage its done to the economy, the pound's market value etc. Of course you will have the Leavers who don't give a fuck but I think its smaller number who voted in 2016.

Also the gammon outrage if we stay in the EU, would be the icing on the cake
    Leave wins by a bigger margin. The only variable now is the sense that the first referendum is being undermined, which is a powerful tool for the Leave campaign.
    On the other hand, saying it undermines the previous result is such an incredibly stupid and moronic thing to say given that we hold general elections every 5 years that it should be a slam dunk for telling the ridiculous cunts who claim that to fuck off.

The other response is that if that's literally the only reason they can come up with to defend their position then they're basically openly admitting that it's a terrible idea.

The real question is whether there's anyone competent enough to make those points. The answer's probably no, but still.

Edited by Duffking at 12:32:56 09-09-2018
  • GoatApocalypse 9 Sep 2018 12:40:15 4,371 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't disagree, but it'll prove to be an effective tactic nonetheless.
  • Technoishmatt 9 Sep 2018 13:20:00 2,814 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    i quite liked the way the unions talked about - they would themselves normally hold a vote before negotiations, and then another one on whether to accept the negotiated deal.

Pretty much exactly the same here!

Edited by Technoishmatt at 13:20:07 09-09-2018
  • LetsGoAGAIN 9 Sep 2018 14:13:22 601 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @GoatApocalypse yup!

Also, the leave canpaign will mention;

Denmark on maastricht
    Ireland on nice
    Ireland on lisbon

If a vote goes against the EU, they usually do what they can to ensure the country has another ref and that they change their mind.
  • RyanDS 9 Sep 2018 14:33:07 12,000 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okay. Will engage.

Letsgo, now that you know African farmers had zero tariffs etc with the eu. But are screwed with uk as everything has to be renogiated with uk and best case they get same zero tariffs. Has that changed your view on Brexit?
  • DaM 9 Sep 2018 14:33:27 17,148 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Some insight on to repeated EU referendums here.

"In a referendum, the typical No campaign strategy aimed at rejecting the treaty on offer is to associate the proposal with unpopular themes and thereby drive down public support for it. The No campaigners therefore have a structural advantage, as they need only to raise doubts in the minds of voters. This state of play, however, typically only holds for the first referendum held on a treaty, not for the second."

For example, Turkey is about to join the EU, we are going to lose the British Army into a Euro Army. The EU is about to collapse. Or in Denmark, "we will lose the Krona". They don't get away with the same lies second time round. Would they even try a "£350 million for the NHS" a week now, when in reality we are having to stockpile medicines and have the Army on standby to distribute them?
  • Duffking 9 Sep 2018 14:47:06 15,828 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the project fear thing would be harder to pull off a second time round - the effects aren't just intangible things of the future, they're stuff that people can see happening much more clearly now. It should be easier for leave to frame themselves as being on the people's side in theory.
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Sep 2018 14:49:39 2,167 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Okay. Will engage.

Letsgo, now that you know African farmers had zero tariffs etc with the eu. But are screwed with uk as everything has to be renogiated with uk and best case they get same zero tariffs. Has that changed your view on Brexit?
    Why did you? You KNOW he doesn't answer questions
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Sep 2018 14:54:48 7,778 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Why are people still insisting that Umunna was saying Labour members are literally dogs?

Not one single person anywhere actually believes that do they?
  • DaM 9 Sep 2018 14:59:26 17,148 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Why are people still insisting that Umunna was saying Labour members are literally dogs?

I was listening to a Brexit "debate" on the radio the other day, and someone made the point that referendums on which the effects of are unclear can have far reaching implications eg look at how the Nazis came to power. So immediately the Brexit woman started shouting "Are you calling all Leave voters Nazis, that's disgusting!!!".

Just a technique they use to deflect attention.
  • RyanDS 9 Sep 2018 15:00:50 12,000 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Okay. Will engage.

Why did you? You KNOW he doesn't answer questions
    I blame afternoon drinking.

Sorry.

I know the goalposts will move etc. And the definition of insanity... but occasionally I canít help myself.
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Sep 2018 15:01:18 2,167 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    To which the correct response is: oh no. The Nazis had very coherent, efficient plans
  • LetsGoAGAIN 9 Sep 2018 15:04:34 601 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Okay. Will engage.

I have answered this a number of times.

The EU heavily restricts how much countries can import, which kind of counter acts any free trade, and they know it! They are just concerned with protecting EU farmers!

Also, this is a great read about one sector of the market and how it is damaging...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.politico.eu/article/eus-milk-scramble-for-africa/amp/
  • H1ggyLTD 9 Sep 2018 16:12:07 10,254 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago

He has previous.
  • Jambajuice 9 Sep 2018 21:51:25 64 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago

He did literally use the phrase ďcall off the dogsĒ when expressing his desire to call off Labour members from exercising their democratic right to choose who represents them.

I donít think anyone is insisting he was saying that they are literally dogs, that would be ridiculous because dogs wouldnít know how to use a ballot paper. But he was clearly referring to them figuratively as dogs.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Sep 2018 22:37:38 7,778 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Jambajuice you mustn't follow Owen Jones or John McDonnell on twitter
  • H1ggyLTD 9 Sep 2018 22:38:20 10,254 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    McDonnell nailed him.

What a fella.
  • askew 10 Sep 2018 08:12:05 17,342 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    EU concerned with protecting its own farmers shocker.
  • challenge_hanukkah 10 Sep 2018 08:21:42 7,685 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's only room for African farmers in post brexit Britain.
  • thelzdking 10 Sep 2018 08:32:18 8,485 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The EU is an anti-African Farmer conspiracy. It's the only reason it exists.
  • challenge_hanukkah 10 Sep 2018 08:34:17 7,685 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Jewish Nazi Cultural Socialamists at it again.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.