Game of Thrones (HBO TV SERIES) @ U.S. Pace - No Book Mentions or Discussion! Page 663

• fontgeeksogood 15 May 2019 14:55:37 6,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm certain I've seen a very similar scene as the white horse surrounded by destruction in something better. What was it
  • challenge_hanukkah 15 May 2019 14:57:05 11,025 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    I'm certain I've seen a very similar scene as the white horse surrounded by destruction in something better. What was it
    Debbie Does The Derby?
  • Graxlar_v3 15 May 2019 15:09:58 7,253 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    SweetMrGibs wrote:
    Latest clickbait article, this time from Cosmo...

"GoT fans convinced Arya is dead because of white horse."

Yes. That's quite possible. Except that she appears in the episode 6 teaser.
    I read a more interesting article - based on book wankery stuff.
  • Hog-lumps 15 May 2019 15:14:35 1,072 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Debbie Does The Derby?
    Walking dead?
  • Graxlar_v3 15 May 2019 15:17:00 7,253 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hog-lumps wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Debbie Does The Derby?
    Walking dead?
    That first season was something special wasn't it.
  • Hog-lumps 15 May 2019 15:41:54 1,072 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Hog-lumps wrote:
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Debbie Does The Derby?
    Walking dead?
    That first season was something special wasn't it.
    It was! Really striking and the world felt dangerous!
  • askew 15 May 2019 16:02:02 19,536 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    Anyone know if this is likely to be suitable for my 10 year old. He is so excited about it from the adverts but I'm thinking it might be a bit violent.
    An old quote from the first page of the thread. Your kid must be old enough to watch this with you now, right?
  • grey_matters 15 May 2019 16:16:49 4,744 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    This is America video?
  • fontgeeksogood 15 May 2019 16:20:56 6,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Guess it must be a bit of a trope but yeah I remember both of those references
  • minky-kong 15 May 2019 16:30:08 14,315 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Blaketown wrote:
    Anyone know if this is likely to be suitable for my 10 year old. He is so excited about it from the adverts but I'm thinking it might be a bit violent.
    An old quote from the first page of the thread. Your kid must be old enough to watch this with you now, right?
    Old enough to join in the discussion about who had the best milkers too.
  • Juz 15 May 2019 16:56:40 3,308 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Didn't Fury or some other WWII movie begin with a horse wandering around destruction?
  • SweetMrGibs 15 May 2019 17:04:25 1,345 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Juz Pitt pony?
  • sport 15 May 2019 17:07:06 15,109 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Deckard's dream?
  • Hog-lumps 15 May 2019 17:36:07 1,072 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This white horse is proving to be a tired old cliché!
  • SweetMrGibs 15 May 2019 17:41:30 1,345 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Hog-lumps it's agent deserves a raise though!
  • Hog-lumps 15 May 2019 17:43:45 1,072 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @SweetMrGibs

Very true 😁
  • Baihu1983 15 May 2019 18:25:48 11,560 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Doesn't death rise a white horse? And Arya's whole arc has been about death
  • sirtacos 16 May 2019 01:58:03 8,169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh my. Well. That was... something.

I enjoyed it, insofar as you can enjoy this sort of thing. It certainly was spectacular. Disappointing too, sadly. More or less what I expected on paper, but the execution completely surprised me.

Dany's all-you-can-eat BBQ makes sense for her character, and I think it's the first "smart" thing she's done in a while. (Discounting the near-certainty that it's also the thing that will precipitate the end of her reign.)

I don't think the carnage is her going mad - she's been absolutely bonkers the whole time.

This is a calculated move for her. One she'd been brooding over alone for weeks after her initial retreat from KL. The carnage she wreaks is disturbingly cold and mechanical (which reflects the showrunner's approach to the narrative as of late - mechanical character puppets fulfilling plot exigencies) because blood and terror is the only way someone like her can break the wheel and forge something ostensibly better in its place (an ironclad dynasty with unquestioned absolute rule by a terrifying but "just" God-Empress).

It all makes sense, it's been foreshadowed to hell since the very beginning, and it is awesome to watch, in a shocking but grimly tedious way. Like the entirety of this season, though, it sort of just 'happens'. It has an air of inevitability about it while at the same time not feeling fully 'earned'.

I do hope the last episode fleshes out Dany's perspective a little more, perhaps by showing at least some hand-wringing on her part over the atrocity she's committed. We already saw her pleading with Jon and generally looking unhappy about the slaughter she was about to commit, but I need a little bit more to justify it emotionally.

Unlike some, I didn't think the "battle" was too easy. It was a slaughter, just like Harrenhal, just Castamere, and just like the Red Wedding. Except this time the Lannisters were on the receiving end. Them and a million civvies.

I do enjoy the idea that Dany spontaneously just decided to commit mass murder because burning stuff is fun and she got a bit carried away. It's hilarious. That's not what happened though.

And unlike others I think Cersei's death was suitably horrible. More dignified than I had hoped, but with enough torment and utter defeat in her final moments to keep it somewhat satisfying. Too bad about Jaime, but I suppose that's what a lifelong toxic codependent relationship with your sociopath twin gets you. It was nicely tragic, all in all.

The bit with Arya and the white horse is naff, but I'm imagining Bran warged into the horse to help out his sis. And while I'm sure it is symbolic of Death riding his pale horse or whatever, it's still heavy-handed.

As for Jon being part Targ and therefore fireproof - nah. We
    know he isn't, don't we ? He burned his hand on the oil lamp in season 1 when saving Lord Commander Mormon(t) from the Wight.

Edited by sirtacos at 02:21:07 16-05-2019
  • Mola_Ram 16 May 2019 02:08:32 20,759 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think you could make the case that the massacre made sense for her character, but it would have required more build-up and development than we actually got. It didn't feel convincing to me as it was, but it might have been if they'd had more time to flesh it out.

It's really just another casualty in the "rush to the finish line" ethos of the last couple of seasons, imo.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 02:10:27 16-05-2019
  • sirtacos 16 May 2019 02:18:14 8,169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh definitely. Mechanically it makes sense. It just doesn't feel right because the characters haven't had time to grow into their final moulds. The "plotting vs. pantsing" thing explains some of it. The showrunners' desire to rush it to a conclusion is the main culprit. Shitty, perfunctory writing explains the rest.

It's better than I expected and also somehow worse. I'm really not sure how to feel about it. I don't think I'll know until after the conclusion has aired.

Edit: I can't wait until my partner sees this. She's always disliked Dany, and has seen her clearly for who she is from the start. I'm kind of proud of her for that, tbh, because she's not a bookwanker and she's managed to avoid all theories and spoilers until now (except for Robb's death) . She made the Mad Queen prediction in season 4 (we're nearing the end of 5 now), so I'm curious to see whether she'll find it any more satisfying than I did. I hope she does. Maybe I'll enjoy it vicariously through her.

Edited by sirtacos at 02:40:58 16-05-2019
  • Mola_Ram 16 May 2019 02:36:44 20,759 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a bit unfair to compare it to something like Breaking Bad, which only had a few major characters to focus on. But the great thing about BB was that every decision Walter White made was a (more or less) logical consequence of what came before. It wasn't predictable, but at all times you could see how someone in that situation might have done that thing.

Here, it feels like characters are making decisions because the plot requires them to be in x place by the end of episode y. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 02:43:23 16-05-2019
  • sirtacos 16 May 2019 02:47:31 8,169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And sometimes it both works and doesn't work at the same time.

It's been a strange and engrossing ride.
    I've never anticipated a series finale with so much trepidation before

Edit: a mix of trepidation and grim resignation

Edited by sirtacos at 03:24:50 16-05-2019
  • sirtacos 16 May 2019 03:21:51 8,169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    HBO wanted it to continue. Budget wasn't an issue. The showrunners, W&B, were presumably sick of it, and eager to move onto other projects. I can understand the reasons for rushing it- I just wish they had rushed it less. It's been said to death already but just one extra season or even a few more episodes would have made it feel less like something they scribbled onto the back of a napkin.

It's dispiriting, but ultimately I'll take a sensational (in the literal sense) albeit rushed ending over a slow meandering death like TWD. It didn't have to be either extreme, of course. It could have been a well-paced, well thought-out conclusion. But this is the only one we'll ever get
  • Nanocrystal 16 May 2019 04:45:33 1,876 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't wait for next episode's retcon where flashbacks reveal Dany desperately trying to prevent her out-of-control dragon from torching King's Landing. Show ends with her having to take it behind the shed.
  • Baihu1983 16 May 2019 05:06:05 11,560 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    HBO wanted it to continue. Budget wasn't an issue. The showrunners, W&B, were presumably sick of it, and eager to move onto other projects. I can understand the reasons for rushing it- I just wish they had rushed it less. It's been said to death already but just one extra season or even a few more episodes would have made it feel less like something they scribbled onto the back of a napkin.

It's dispiriting, but ultimately I'll take a sensational (in the literal sense) albeit rushed ending over a slow meandering death like TWD. It didn't have to be either extreme, of course. It could have been a well-paced, well thought-out conclusion. But this is the only one we'll ever get

Thing is surely HBO could have just moved them on and let someone else carry it on?
    Some cast members have also been wanting to move in plus the main characters got very big pay rises a couple years back
  • Load_2.0 16 May 2019 08:10:38 29,625 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's taken 8 years to get to this point. The Army is assembled and on the doorstep of Kings Landing, they are telling this over seven hours of screen time. To say it is rushed is debatable.

You either give people a conclusion or you introduce new characters and carry on for another few seasons with a declining audience until the quality dips to the point people lose interest.

My preference is a conclusion.
  • challenge_hanukkah 16 May 2019 08:14:31 11,025 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    It's taken 8 years to get to this point. The Army is assembled and on the doorstep of Kings Landing, they are telling this over seven hours of screen time. To say it is rushed is debatable.

You either give people a conclusion or you introduce new characters and carry on for another few seasons with a declining audience until the quality dips to the point people lose interest.

My preference is Ned emerging from the shower and it all being a dream.
    Edited by challenge_hanukkah at 08:14:42 16-05-2019
  • SweetMrGibs 16 May 2019 08:16:48 1,345 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's Arya's favourite song?

"Arya gonna go my way?" by Lenny Kravitz!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.