Game of Thrones (HBO TV SERIES) @ U.S. Pace - No Book Mentions or Discussion! Page 664

• docrob 16 May 2019 08:30:50 1,155 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did anyone else think Clegane v Clegane was pure Dark Souls? The hero (Sandor) takes on the near-unkillable boss (Gregor) on the staircase of a crumbling castle, in a burning city, while a dragon roars outside?
  • SweetMrGibs 16 May 2019 08:46:43 1,331 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @docrob That's exactly what I thought to be honest. The sky and the lighting definitely gave it a Dark Souls feel too.
  • drhickman1983 16 May 2019 08:59:04 5,870 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Unlike some, I didn't think the "battle" was too easy. It was a slaughter, just like Harrenhal, just Castamere, and just like the Red Wedding. Except this time the Lannisters were on the receiving end. Them and a million civvies.
    This is true, to be fair.

But I can't say a prolonged slaughter was all that interesting to watch. It became numbing after a few minutes.
  • SweetMrGibs 16 May 2019 09:16:55 1,331 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @drhickman1983 I didn't find it numbing at all - I found it quite traumatic to be honest. But then, it was 6am and I was emotional as I hadn't had my morning coffee.

I quite liked the intercutting between Cleganbowl and Arya's fight for survival. She was effectively the audience's eyes to the destruction taking place.

Also felt strange to go from regarding The Unsullied and Dothraki as the 'good guys' to the 'bad guys' (over-simplification, but you get what I mean).
  • wildbillch 16 May 2019 09:17:32 97 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:

Thing is surely HBO could have just moved them on and let someone else carry it on?
    Some cast members have also been wanting to move in plus the main characters got very big pay rises a couple years back
    Itís such a big complex production I donít think anyone else would have been able to take over and handle the logistics
  • Alastair 16 May 2019 09:21:25 23,492 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I couldn't stop myself noticing that the woman that Arya was trying to rescue was one of the cops investigating/interviewing Ted Hastings in Line of Duty.
    (The one that got kicked off the case for using the wrong warrant to search his hotel room.)
  • minky-kong 16 May 2019 09:32:00 14,198 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I couldn't stop myself noticing that the woman that Arya was trying to rescue was one of the cops investigating/interviewing Ted Hastings in Line of Duty.
    (The one that got kicked off the case for using the wrong warrant to search his hotel room.)
    She should have told Arya to stop making a tit of herself and piss off.
  • Graxlar_v3 16 May 2019 09:38:18 6,523 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    You mean the mother and child Arya straight up murdered?
  • SweetMrGibs 16 May 2019 09:39:47 1,331 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    "Come with my if you want to live.. for an extra 30 seconds or so."
  • Dougs 16 May 2019 09:43:03 88,895 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Fuck, that's where I recognised her from! I thought it must have been earlier in the series or something. Spotter's badge for Al.
  • Mola_Ram 16 May 2019 09:43:32 19,927 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah the whole "you'll die if you stay indoors!" bit was a bit weird. Hiding isn't exactly a foolproof strategy, but it seemed safer than running about in the open.

Maybe Arya actually wanted them to die.
  • JoelStinty 16 May 2019 09:45:07 7,766 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    Did anyone else think Clegane v Clegane was pure Dark Souls? The hero (Sandor) takes on the near-unkillable boss (Gregor) on the staircase of a crumbling castle, in a burning city, while a dragon roars outside?
    I think quite a few of the writers and production staff are huge fans of the game. In one of the earlier seasons they used the riposte sound. Think there have been a couple of other nods too.
  • Bleh 16 May 2019 09:51:00 350 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Yeah the whole "you'll die if you stay indoors!" bit was a bit weird. Hiding isn't exactly a foolproof strategy, but it seemed safer than running about in the open.

Or the writers needed Arya do be mad at Dany so she would have a reason to kill her.
  • Baihu1983 16 May 2019 09:58:36 11,242 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SweetMrGibs wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    The building they were in was also destroyed.

The girl was holding a wooden horse as well.
  • brokenkey 16 May 2019 10:09:36 10,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    SweetMrGibs wrote:
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    The building they were in was also destroyed.

The girl was holding a wooden horse as well.
    A white wooden horse.
  • Graxlar_v3 16 May 2019 10:12:22 6,523 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The girl was the Horse!!!!!
  • Alastair 16 May 2019 10:12:28 23,492 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dougs wrote:

Fuck, that's where I recognised her from! I thought it must have been earlier in the series or something. Spotter's badge for Al.
    It was the ears...
  • fontgeeksogood 16 May 2019 10:14:11 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I watched the whole first few seasons again a few months ago and the writing wasn't exactly brilliant then, the exposition (particularly Littlefinger explaining things in excruciating detail to other characters) is crashingly jarring
  • Graxlar_v3 16 May 2019 10:15:12 6,523 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So the big twist at the end is... it wasn't good to begin with :D
  • RichDC 16 May 2019 10:16:29 8,259 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bleh wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Or the writers needed Arya do be mad at Dany so she would have a reason to kill her.
    Yeah. She was fine with the slaughter and carnage up until that point.
  • fontgeeksogood 16 May 2019 10:16:40 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    It didn't suddenly veer away from being Tolstoy, for sure
  • monkman76 16 May 2019 10:22:09 14,665 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is why I don't really understand the level of nitpicking (I've only seen that this season as I was never up-to-date previously so not following the internet chat). It's always been 'quality popcorn' type entertainment.

Edited by monkman76 at 10:22:24 16-05-2019
  • SnackPlissken 16 May 2019 10:23:47 934 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    This is why I don't really understand the level of nitpicking (I've only seen that this season as I was never up-to-date previously so not following the internet chat). It's always been 'quality popcorn' type entertainment.
    Do you buy your popcorn from b&m?
  • monkman76 16 May 2019 10:25:16 14,665 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's B&M?
  • Graxlar_v3 16 May 2019 10:26:00 6,523 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    What's B&M?
    I was wondering the same, what an odd insult.
  • fontgeeksogood 16 May 2019 10:26:45 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I know exactly why it is being nit picked now, it's the sense of shame, remorse or realisation as it comes to a close that it was a bit shit and we wasted our lives watching it
  • Baihu1983 16 May 2019 10:28:19 11,242 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    What's B&M?
    A retailer apparently
  • Load_2.0 16 May 2019 10:33:52 29,129 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Black and minority.

Wow.

Racist much?
  • Bleh 16 May 2019 10:53:07 350 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RichDC wrote:
    Bleh wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

Yeah. She was fine with the slaughter and carnage up until that point.
    I'm not saying it's good writing but with the current trend of writing I wouldn't be surprised that with this it got personal for her because the woman helped her before.
  • rockavitch 16 May 2019 10:53:42 1,117 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A retailer. Next step up from Poundland/World.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.