"The Ring"

First Previous
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 11 Nov 2002 02:25:36 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    This is in response to the thread about Harry Potter. Harry Potter sucks in all respects. So go see a movie.

And that movie that you should see is "The Ring".

This movie has to be one of the scariest fucking movies i've ever fucking seen. It will make you shit(e?) your pants. It's not a typical horror film that has a bunch of shocking moments to scare you, but it is incredibly creepy and fucks with your mind. Everyone i've talked to that has seen told me it was scary, and I finally went and saw it. It is one of the greatest scary movies of all time. Go see it right now, if it's even out in the UK. If not, buy a plane ticket to America and come see it here.

*Recommendation over
  • skalmanxl 11 Nov 2002 09:42:49 982 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Watch the korean originals I say.
  • quantumsheep 11 Nov 2002 09:49:19 3,128 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    BGIE,
    I've not seen the remake, but the original is sublime. The ending has one of the scariest sequences ever, and there's not a drop of blood anywhere to be seen.
    Easily a superior horror film to the usual hollywood fare ;)
  • Deleted user 11 November 2002 10:14:01
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    This is in response to the thread about Harry Potter. Harry Potter sucks in all respects. So go see a movie.

Chalk and cheese. Irrelevant.

And that movie that you should see is "The Ring".

Why? Without a potted preview or review I don't feel a compelling urge to look for it, much less watch it. Give me a reason.
  • DocX 11 Nov 2002 11:01:17 1,963 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    If not, buy a plane ticket to America and come see it here.

No need as we can buy the original over here, unlike Americans who have to settle for the remake instead.
  • Gestalt 11 Nov 2002 11:16:32 98 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Feersum Boundah - "Why? Without a potted preview or review I don't feel a compelling urge to look for it, much less watch it. Give me a reason."

I've not seen the American remake yet, but it's supposed to be very good. As for the Japanese original, it's quite possibly the scariest movie I have ever seen, working more on a psychological level and making a refreshing change from your typical gore-obsessed Hollywood horror movie. The plot sounds kinda goofy at first (there's a video tape full of bizarre subliminal images, and everyone who watches it dies a few days later), but the sheer terror and awesome atmosphere sucks you in. If the US version is even half as good as the original it should be well worth watching.

Edited by Gestalt at 11:16:46 11-11-2002
  • MrWorf 11 Nov 2002 11:19:02 63,835 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Fuck! I'm already pissing mytself!!! And I thoght you were talking about the Lord of the Rings.. damn! I have to see this with my gurl/.
  • sam_spade 11 Nov 2002 11:28:36 15,745 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    All three films are disturbingly scary. Although I do prefer Ring 2 as it is more rewatchable.

And I did notice a shot in Ring 2 where the girl gets into a taxi and the door closes behind her and there's no way she could have closed it. I was wondering if this part of the unease factor - things that could not happen happening so sublimely that it sratches the edges of your thoughts?
  • wysie 11 Nov 2002 11:39:20 82 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Sorry but have to disagree there. Thought Ring 2 seemed a bit rushed at the end. The build up was great and really had me freaked but the last half hour just lost me. Definitely worth seeing but not as enjoyable as the first one. That was a real Hands-over-the-eyes syndrome! If Ring tickled your fancy then may I suggest Audition. Another genuinely disturbing film. By the way has anyone seen "The Eye"?

Edited by wysie at 11:39:49 11-11-2002
  • MrWorf 11 Nov 2002 11:40:11 63,835 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Is "The Ring" showing in Cinemas at the moment?
  • MrWorf 11 Nov 2002 11:40:12 63,835 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Is "The Ring" showing in Cinemas at he moment?
  • sam_spade 11 Nov 2002 11:42:21 15,745 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    The remake is released sometime later this year I believe.

If you live near an art cinema you maybe able to catch the originals if you keep a close eye on the listings, or if you have a cinema club at uni you might find out if they would be willing to put a showing on.
  • MrWorf 11 Nov 2002 11:43:50 63,835 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I'll pick up a copy from blockbusters
  • sam_spade 11 Nov 2002 11:46:53 15,745 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I picked up Ring 0 from Virgin in its 2-4-20 sale and I know they had the other two films so you may be able to still get it on DVD.

Just another option if your BB doesn't stock it.
  • MrWorf 11 Nov 2002 11:49:04 63,835 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Thats even better mate! What is the exact title?
  • sam_spade 11 Nov 2002 11:50:50 15,745 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ring 0, Ring, Ring 2
  • MrWorf 11 Nov 2002 11:52:47 63,835 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Which is the best one!! Or rather which was made first?

Edited by Razz at 11:54:24 11-11-2002
  • sam_spade 11 Nov 2002 11:54:40 15,745 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ring if you're going get just one, Ring 0 builds on the history and Ring 2 is a direct sequel set just days after Ring. You need to have seen Ring to get anything out of the other two.
  • MrWorf 11 Nov 2002 11:56:15 63,835 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Cool "Ring" it is!! link

edit: fixed link

Edited by Razz at 11:59:02 11-11-2002
  • Deleted user 11 November 2002 12:10:10
    Gestalt wrote:
    I've not seen the American remake yet, but it's supposed to be very good. As for the Japanese original, it's quite possibly the scariest movie I have ever seen, working more on a psychological level and making a refreshing change from your typical gore-obsessed Hollywood horror movie.

That would be a first.

The plot sounds kinda goofy at first (there's a video tape full of bizarre subliminal images, and everyone who watches it dies a few days later), but the sheer terror and awesome atmosphere sucks you in. If the US version is even half as good as the original it should be well worth watching.

The premise sounds compelling if it's executed well. But, I need more than terror and atmosphere to pull me in. What about character and plot detail? More specifically, what is the philosophical grit of this film?
  • ssuellid 11 Nov 2002 12:12:07 19,141 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    FB, are you seriously saying that you have not heard of "Ring" before?
  • Deleted user 11 November 2002 12:18:13
    ssuellid wrote:
    FB, are you seriously saying that you have not heard of "Ring" before?

Although I've occassionally been superceded by events, I've never knowingly told a lie online. No, I've never heard of "Ring" before. Then again, how many people had heard of "Nikita" when I saw the original subtitled French version?
  • Gestalt 11 Nov 2002 12:23:46 98 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    wysie - "If Ring tickled your fancy then may I suggest Audition. Another genuinely disturbing film. By the way has anyone seen "The Eye"?"

I saw Audition on Film Four recently - it starts out looking like a warped romantic comedy, then suddenly turns into a nasty horror movie half way through. Very freaky.

While we're on the subject of Japanese movies, I presume it goes without saying that you should all watch pretty much anything by Beat Takeshi. Sonatine, Hana-Bi, Brother and Battle Royale are all well worth a look. And if you fancy something completely different, Kikujiro no natsu is really funny - it's a total change of pace compared to his usual gangster movies, although there is the obligatory beach scene. :)
  • ssuellid 11 Nov 2002 12:37:38 19,141 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It would surprise me that anyone with more than a passing interest in films would have not heard of "Ring" before.

Nikita is one of my favourite Luc Besson films.

"watch pretty much anything by Beat Takeshi."

"Brother" is probably the best introduction tho for those not keen on subtitles as a lot of it is in English. Did anyone else find it funny?
  • Lalaland 11 Nov 2002 13:00:16 20 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Beat Takeshi's films are all about what an asshole his character is, it's very funny. Was it Sonatine where he makes an underling cut off his finger for doing something Takeshi told him too?

Anyone else found the subtitling to be shite on half the films though? They rarely translate quips or things shouted by characters. It was particularily bad in Violent Cop.
  • ssuellid 11 Nov 2002 13:15:08 19,141 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Feersum Boundah wrote:
    Why? Without a potted preview or review I don't feel a compelling urge to look for it, much less watch it. Give me a reason.

Personally I don't read film reviews or even the back of the DVD box because they can give details which can spoil the film. If someone tells me a film is worth watching - thats all I want to know.

It pissed me off that I saw an Attack of the Clones advert ten minutes before I watched the film and I then spent the whole film waiting for the little guy and his stubby light sabre.
  • wysie 11 Nov 2002 14:05:09 82 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Audition DVD suffers from the almost expected "white subtitles against a white background" flaw in some places. As for Beat Takeshi, I only had the luck to see him in one movie... Tha amzing "Battle Royale" Pure Class...
  • Gestalt 11 Nov 2002 14:50:30 98 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    ssuellid - "Brother" is probably the best introduction tho for those not keen on subtitles as a lot of it is in English. Did anyone else find it funny?"
    Most of Beat Takeshi's movies are funny to some extent, which is hardly surprising given that he started out as a comedian.

Lalaland - "Anyone else found the subtitling to be shite on half the films though?"
    That's just MIA / Tokyo Bullet I think - their early DVD releases were downright amateurish, but they've got better since then. Violent Cop was so bad I returned it - half the dialogue wasn't subtitled at all - but the more recent Tokyo Bullet DVDs I've bought were all fine. The subtitling is vastly improved, and the discs are all proper anamorphic widescreen now. Hopefully at some point they'll release a better quality version of Violent Cop so I can complete my Beat Takeshi collection without having to pay a small fortune buying it from Japan.
  • ssuellid 11 Nov 2002 15:16:00 19,141 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    "Most of Beat Takeshi's movies are funny to some extent, which is hardly surprising given that he started out as a comedian."

He still is a bit of a media whore - newspaper columns, comedian, loads of TV shows.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.