Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 335

• Trafford 15 Jan 2021 10:15:19 8,970 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've got a little trick to get rid of the adverts on All4.
    1/Download the series I'm going to watch on my tablet.
    2/Start watching in bed and let myself fall asleep and the series autoplay.
    3/Watch again when I'm concious, no adverts second time around.
  • muddyyfunster 15 Jan 2021 10:30:35 911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    The Queens Gambit

Bit late to this one but can see what all the fuss is about. Expertly created show with stunning production values and excellent performances all round.

Definitely worth your time, regardless of your feelings on chess.

9/10
    It does have a slow start that put me off initially and only stuck with it due to recommendations. This sounds ridiculous, but once the chess starts the pace picks up.
  • Jono62 15 Jan 2021 10:32:32 26,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @RGeefe What is your opinion of Ted Lasso, if you have seen it?
  • darrenb 15 Jan 2021 10:34:11 1,121 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Alice in borderland - 8/10

Started this with my son knowing nothing about it. Ended up watching it all over 2 nights.

Bonkers story but found it very entertaining
  • Dr-Strangelove 15 Jan 2021 10:55:43 2,293 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    I've got a little trick to get rid of the adverts on All4.
    1/Download the series I'm going to watch on my tablet.
    2/Start watching in bed and let myself fall asleep and the series autoplay.
    3/Watch again when I'm concious, no adverts second time around.
    If you have a mac with a touchbar you can scroll through to the end of the add break.
  • Trafford 15 Jan 2021 11:15:11 8,970 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do I fuck have a Mac 😏. Besides, my method requires no scrolling.

Edited by Trafford at 11:15:41 15-01-2021
  • UncleLou Moderator 15 Jan 2021 11:30:14 40,346 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    "Pretend it's a City" on Netflix, 9/10.

What a funny, thougthful and endlessly interesting person Fran Lebowitz is. I could easily have watched another 6 episodes.

It's edited a bit too wildly, though. Sometimes it would have sufficed (probably) to just let the camera run for a while and show just that.
  • Dougs 15 Jan 2021 11:31:04 98,009 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    RGeefe doesn't like it? Cool I'll give it a try.

simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I mean, the guy hates Predator
    Fair points....
  • UncleLou Moderator 15 Jan 2021 11:34:32 40,346 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    muddyyfunster wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    The Queens Gambit

Bit late to this one but can see what all the fuss is about. Expertly created show with stunning production values and excellent performances all round.

Definitely worth your time, regardless of your feelings on chess.

9/10
    It does have a slow start that put me off initially and only stuck with it due to recommendations. This sounds ridiculous, but once the chess starts the pace picks up.
    Fun fact, basically the whole series was shot in Berlin, including scenes that play in Paris, Kentucky, Moscow and Las Vegas.
  • askew 15 Jan 2021 11:37:47 22,837 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    souvlaki wrote:
    Winter Walks

5, 30 minute episodes on BBC4/iPlayer where a different person each time goes for a walk around the Yorkshire Dales or Cumbria.

No soundtrack, just the walker on their own with a 360 camera, talking to themselves. Really nice and relaxing and making me wish I was local to do one of those walks.

10/10
    Excellent!

Back in the autumn I found a Fjallraven live stream on YouTube with some fella making his towards the Ford of Avon in Scotland.

Now I've started watching Swiss train journeys…
  • RGeefe 15 Jan 2021 15:29:29 1,701 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well the big thing for me is that I very rarely, if ever, can see something as 10/10. I much prefer Cinema Score which uses letter grading. For context, I'd probably only put Breaking Bad, first couple of Line of Duty, first Spaced as close to 10/10 shows.

I think most shows top out at 2-3 series. After that, you're on diminishing returns. It's why Simpsons stands out as being so good for such a sustained period. I'd rather be gutted that a series ended and is never coming back, like Spaced or The Office, than it get shit.

As for Ted Lasso, I haven't got apple but it looks good. I enjoy a fish out of water comedy and football. Might download it. But then people rave about Schitt's Creek and I've tried to get through the first series.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Jan 2021 15:57:46 16,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @RGeefe I’m with you on preferring to be great then over than limping on.

I think a good recent example is Peaky Blinders. Its main through line and most of its character arcs came to an end just before or as the show was blowing up so instead of two or three great series were going to end up with four or five additional increasingly preposterous ones because ratings not narrative have kept it alive.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Jan 2021 16:05:17 22,784 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ted Lasso is almost unbearably saccharine, but also pretty watchable. If you need any sort of edge to your comedy I’d avoid, but with the way of the world right now I actually found it to be quite a pleasant tonic.
  • muddyyfunster 15 Jan 2021 16:11:54 911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @UncleLou That is a fun fact. I certainly wouldn't have guessed, all the suburban bits in Kentucky seemed like typical Americana. Just assumed it was all shot there.
  • Dougs 15 Jan 2021 16:59:15 98,009 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Ted Lasso is almost unbearably saccharine, but also pretty watchable. If you need any sort of edge to your comedy I’d avoid, but with the way of the world right now I actually found it to be quite a pleasant tonic.
    That's much the same as Schitt's Creek. It has plenty of zingers but it's just very nice and a pleasant change in a comedy.
  • Rum_Monkey 16 Jan 2021 11:51:51 2,193 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Lost 3rd rewatch.

Still my favourite show of all time. I will defend that opinion to the death.
  • chopsen 16 Jan 2021 11:52:51 21,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sure you can defend it. But can you explain it?
  • Jono62 16 Jan 2021 11:54:57 26,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think Lost would benefit from how seasons are now; 10 episodes per season.

The last season was poor though.

Edited by Jono62 at 11:55:23 16-01-2021
  • Rum_Monkey 16 Jan 2021 11:56:36 2,193 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yes, the characters make the show and The Constant is incredible. Plus it has time travel and a giant bath plug that saves the world.

Opinion validated.
  • TechnoHippy 16 Jan 2021 13:54:36 18,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Wire (S4)

It's a tough call between this and the previous season for the best - I think this one just edges it. The education angle takes things in an interesting direction whilst also still keeping key characters in play. It also works more emotion into the mix with the kids, bubs, and the sheer horror of the system.

Although McNulty playing nice just seems wrong.

All the feels/10

Edited by TechnoHippy at 17:35:39 16-01-2021
  • Pierre2k 16 Jan 2021 14:41:05 1,355 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Late to the party, but just finished Mandalorian Season 2. I started watching it when it first came out, but got distracted on to other things. Watched the last 2 episodes last night.

Brilliant series, and loved the 'twist' (if you can call it that) ending. Great stuff, albeit I'd have liked to have heard a few more lines of dialogue from the guest appearance.

Not sure if everyone held on for the post-credit Bona Fett trailer, but that looks great as well.
  • richarddavies 16 Jan 2021 14:52:25 8,156 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I only started mandalorian for the first time last weekend and ended up watching both series in two days. Loved it like Mando loves that little guy.
  • Carlo 16 Jan 2021 23:41:11 21,600 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anyone watching Mr Mayor?

Ted Danson of The Good Place looks like he's cut and pasted the character right over :D
  • anephric 17 Jan 2021 01:25:56 4,858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Halt and Catch Fire S1

Haven't rewatched this since it was originally broadcast seven years ago, crikey.

AMC are shit at releasing their less high profile series on disc and I think only the first season of this got a blu, then the rest on DVD and they ain't cheap. Only streaming option in the UK is Prime at £20 a season.

It's great stuff, so 80s computer nerdy. They go a bit Don Draper INTRIGUE in the first season by having Lee Pace's character have a shadowy past and he's like a non-homicidal Patrick Bateman. They really changed tack away from this in the following seasons and it finds its own groove.

I really should rewatch all the following seasons but I prefer to actually buy discs than pay Amazon £20 a time for digital.
  • TechnoHippy 17 Jan 2021 20:55:30 18,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Wire (S5)

I'd forgotten how far off the range McNulty goes in this one, although I was disappointed that Freeman went along with it. The Press aspect is interesting, but not as good as the education and port in previous seasons. Still some damn fine TV though and a respectable conclusion.

9/10
  • JoelStinty 17 Jan 2021 21:00:59 9,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Archer S1

Really late to the party, but yeah this is pretty good. First few episodes had me proper belly laughing. Kind of falls into a routine for the rest of the season but still funny throughout. Look forward to watching more.
  • Jono62 17 Jan 2021 21:29:21 26,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @JoelStinty Watch it till the end of Season 4 and leave it.
  • RGeefe 17 Jan 2021 22:15:54 1,701 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I caught some later Archer and it defo needed to end after a few series. Only so much you can get out of a show like that.

As an aside - the London episode of the Simpsons was on telly. I remember the "excitement" when it came out but have mostly blanked post 2000 Simpsons from my mind.

Good lord, it was fucking dreadful. Americans really don't know when to end a comedy series. Or series in general, tbh.
  • Tomo 17 Jan 2021 22:20:40 18,984 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Lost 3rd rewatch.

Still my favourite show of all time. I will defend that opinion to the death.
    Yessssssss a fellow truther
  • dfunked09 17 Jan 2021 22:21:39 1,614 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Shit ending, though.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.