Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 345

Next Last
  • TechnoHippy 20 Feb 2021 12:55:44 18,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    White House Farm

British murder investigation on Netflix - based on a true story, but I can't comment on the accuracy. It's well constructed, although it doesn't rush things too much - unlike the investigation :-)

Does Stephen Graham always play wankers?

7/10
  • MrFlay 21 Feb 2021 10:03:56 4,628 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Long Way Up - 7/10

Mostly enjoyable travel doc by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman. They travel through South America from Chile to LA. They're likeable characters but a little ignorant. I found it bizarre that they couldn't be bothered to learn more than a couple of words of Spanish given that all of the countries they passed through are majority Spanish speaking. The Mexico section was the absolute worst. They spend weeks doing up a bus so they can ride during the day and sleep on the bus at night in safety but they could have just stopped and stayed in hotels at night.

The decision to use electric bikes was bizarre and seemed like an excuse to inject drama into a much safer and more controlled trip than their previous treks around through Asia and down through Africa. In the early more remote areas of Chile and Argentina, they frequently run out of power and fail to find charging location because their bikes are prototypes and of course when they breakdown they need to call in mechanics from the US to fix them.

The cinematography this time is absolutely outstanding. They ride through some stunning areas and the 4K imagery is the best thing about the series.

Edited by MrFlay at 10:05:10 21-02-2021
  • TechnoHippy 21 Feb 2021 16:00:24 18,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    True Detective (S3)

It's a few attempts to get through this, although I'm not sure why. The leads do a good job, the investigation is interesting - if a little slow paced. It's nowhere near as good as the first season, but better than the second.

7/10
  • RGeefe 21 Feb 2021 19:22:53 1,701 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @TechnoHippy The second series of True Detective was something of a train wreck. I couldn't get through it. Lasted a couple of episodes, that I've blocked from my mind.

3 hinged on the strength of Mahershala Ali, as does most stuff he's in (see Luke Cage) and it was good. However, it still pales in comparison to the first, which was absolute lightning in a bottle.
  • RGeefe 21 Feb 2021 19:26:49 1,701 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The yearly Breaking Bad rewatch...

Breaking Bad (S1)

Tied for the first half of five as the worst series but still absolutely brilliant. Complete 1 in a million TV show that somehow gets everything right from the off, with an engaging premise, well rounded characters and doesn't really waste an episode.

8/10 (in comparison to the later ones)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Feb 2021 19:31:25 16,375 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Time Team series 1-3

Beards, jumpers, real ale, geophys surveys. Ive tried to get time to get through these for awhile and having a bit of a run at them this week has been a real oasis of calm. Probably helps that all the male team members look like my dad and it was a weekend staple in the Maybe house.
  • Technoishmatt 21 Feb 2021 19:34:54 4,943 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anybody tried Tribes of Europa? Same producers of Dark. Looks fairly insane also. Not sure I want to commit tho!!!
  • Tomo 21 Feb 2021 20:29:04 18,984 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Evil Genius - 7/10

True crime doc about the "Pizza Bomber" guy with a device strapped to his neck and made to rob a bank. The doc is good. Full of absolute weirdoes. It really is a bizarre tale. Not quite as OMG jaw dropping as Making A Murderer and a few others, but worth a watch given its only 4 episodes.
  • askew 21 Feb 2021 20:50:22 22,837 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    Long Way Up - 7/10

The Mexico section was the absolute worst. They spend weeks doing up a bus so they can ride during the day and sleep on the bus at night in safety but they could have just stopped and stayed in hotels at night.

The cinematography this time is absolutely outstanding. They ride through some stunning areas and the 4K imagery is the best thing about the series.
    Hah, yes. It seemed like an excuse to spend some money to help write off the expenses!

I thought the Patagonia/Atacama desert sections were the best. It really fizzled out as they hit Mexico and then the US.
  • Blakester 22 Feb 2021 11:13:02 5,200 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Evil Genius - 7/10

True crime doc about the "Pizza Bomber" guy with a device strapped to his neck and made to rob a bank. The doc is good. Full of absolute weirdoes. It really is a bizarre tale. Not quite as OMG jaw dropping as Making A Murderer and a few others, but worth a watch given its only 4 episodes.
    I remember watching this a while ago and it made me feel really grubby. All the people involved are clearly unstable, living in absolute squalor in the middle of hick-town USA.

Like MaM, you do feel as though these people are being followed, filmed and exploited purely for our entertainment.
  • Darth_Flibble 22 Feb 2021 19:52:00 4,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Parks and Recreation

S1
    Really good, seen it a while ago and its still good

9/10

s2
    Ages ago I started watching s2 but my girlfriend at the time hated the show. S2 is so much better than s1 if thats possible.

11/10

Started s3 and up to the time capsule episode which ep3 (first episode I didn't like) the twilight book talk is eyerolling
  • TechnoHippy 22 Feb 2021 20:38:25 18,533 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Night Of

A young man wakes up and the girl he's slept with murdered. It was good to see a couple of familiar faces from The Wire. The various story threads compliment each other well, although the lawyer's feel thread was curiously compelling :-) It does keep you guessing until the end, and the performances were strong all round.

8/10
  • Bambot 22 Feb 2021 20:51:48 1,965 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Marcella series 1: 7/10

Kind of enjoyable pulpy melodramatic London police/murder drama with Anna Friel playing a detective who keeps having amnesic episodes right after getting angry about something, and clearly, CLEARLY shouldn't be employed with the police any more, and she just gets worse throughout the show. It's littered with holes in the plot. Stuff that doesn't make sense. Stuff that beggars belief. Stuff that's completely forgotten about because apparently it was only ever there to pad the 'mystery' out and is completely irrelevant, so they just drop it and move on and hope you don't remember.

Marcella series 2: I gave up/10

After several more hours of even worse plot holes and nonsense red herrings that just waste your time, i gave up in the first ten minutes of episode 7 (of 8) and just googled the ending and glad I've saved myself two more hours of some of the most amateur writing I've seen make it to ITV. And that's saying something.
  • Dougs 23 Feb 2021 21:28:56 98,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's a Sin. 8/10. Would have been higher but for the last episode, which I thought went the wrong way. But overall, excellent and well worth a watch
  • Vortex808 23 Feb 2021 21:38:19 14,749 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I enjoyed it, but yes, that last episode with Keeley Hawes going all mental was a bit oddly done.
  • DUFFMAN5 23 Feb 2021 21:39:30 26,509 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Bambot
    Series 3 is a return to form. I totally agree re series 2, although we watched all of it.

Modern Family season 7.
    Yes it is still brilliant, warm and funny.
  • Dougs 23 Feb 2021 22:20:13 98,009 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    I enjoyed it, but yes, that last episode with Keeley Hawes going all mental was a bit oddly done.
    I thought she was miscast from the off tbh. Nice role reversal though with the dad.
  • Rum_Monkey 23 Feb 2021 22:32:27 2,193 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The Boys s2

Ramped up the crazy OTTness and it worked for me. Great balance of humour and just enough drama.

Homelander is great.

9/10
  • chopsen 24 Feb 2021 08:08:38 21,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Safe House S1

ITV drama mini series, on Netflix.

Keep forgetting that ITV do sometimes make half decent drama. It's just I can't be arsed because adverts innit?

The secondary story arc is kind of pointless (and presumably only there to set up S2) but it's otherwise rrasably tense drama with performances that don't suck.

7/10
  • Jono62 24 Feb 2021 11:02:03 26,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Behind Her Eyes - 5/10

Limited series on Netflix. Missus was watching it and I was half watching it. The actors do a good job in the main, but the story was bobbins. Managed to figure out what was going on before the end.
  • robthehermit 24 Feb 2021 12:44:24 8,234 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    The Night Of

A young man wakes up and the girl he's slept with murdered. It was good to see a couple of familiar faces from The Wire. The various story threads compliment each other well, although the lawyer's feel thread was curiously compelling :-) It does keep you guessing until the end, and the performances were strong all round.

8/10
    That was some great TV. Really enjoyed it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Feb 2021 12:54:39 16,375 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    Marcella series 1: 7/10

Kind of enjoyable pulpy melodramatic London police/murder drama with Anna Friel playing a detective who keeps having amnesic episodes right after getting angry about something, and clearly, CLEARLY shouldn't be employed with the police any more, and she just gets worse throughout the show. It's littered with holes in the plot. Stuff that doesn't make sense. Stuff that beggars belief. Stuff that's completely forgotten about because apparently it was only ever there to pad the 'mystery' out and is completely irrelevant, so they just drop it and move on and hope you don't remember.

Marcella series 2: I gave up/10

After several more hours of even worse plot holes and nonsense red herrings that just waste your time, i gave up in the first ten minutes of episode 7 (of 8) and just googled the ending and glad I've saved myself two more hours of some of the most amateur writing I've seen make it to ITV. And that's saying something.
    Ill accept a lot of preposterous leaps in logic to get through a decent crime drama but yeah, Marcella really took the piss.

It takes a lot to make Luther look like a plausible and effective police officer but she manages it.
  • Chug666 24 Feb 2021 14:52:29 746 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ploughed through both series of Stath Lets Flats following recommendations on here- really enjoyed it, so cheers to those who reviewed it earlier!
  • Rum_Monkey 24 Feb 2021 14:58:03 2,193 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Des 5/10

Very BBC/ITV with all the actors you've seen before playing the same role. Apart from David Tennant who's great and basically all the good scenes involve him. Was an interesting watch because of him and I didn't know much about it.

Only 3eps long so doesn't get deep into anything, basically shows off how well DT can play a murdering, creepy narcissist.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.