Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 355

• Ultrasoundwave 4 Apr 2021 12:01:11 6,342 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Star Wars The Clone Wars

Finished the whole thing, all seven seasons.

Have to say I enjoyed the vast majority of it. Obviously, it has its stinkers (basically any episodes with Jar Jar) but there are also some absolute bangers in there.

I have to give a special mention to the final four episodes though - they could easily have release those four episodes as a stand-alone feature and I honestly think it would be regarded as one of the best Star Wars movies.

Truly stunning.

The show overall gets a solid 8/10, but those final four episodes of season 7 are the easiest 10/10 Iíve ever given anything.
  • RyanDS 5 Apr 2021 03:38:35 13,939 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ted lasso

Got offered free apple TV and ignored the offer, but remembered this was recommended here so joined.

It is now 3:30 in the morning... fuck I love this. Binged in one night, so nice to see a... Nice tv show. Reminds me of parks and rec, just wonderful.

10/10
  • TechnoHippy 5 Apr 2021 18:41:10 18,913 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Damnit - wrong thread :-(

Edited by TechnoHippy at 19:11:39 05-04-2021
  • dominalien 6 Apr 2021 06:24:48 10,402 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Mandalorian on Disney+

Iím up to ep 6 of season 2, but Iím done.

This has a serious identity crisis. The script is aimed squarely at 8 year olds. The off-hand killing clearly isnít. Empire forces are composed squarely of mentally disabled children and the main charactersí glee and satisfaction at beating them when they just bumble about and fail to hit anything is... dubious at best. The main characters themselves are unlikeable and annoying. The Mandalorian himself is the only passable person around, too bad they show his face.

It looks good, however. Even if itís a straight rip off of Firefly, down to the way the main dudeís ship looks.

So yeah, terrible.

3/10
  • TechnoHippy 6 Apr 2021 08:02:12 18,913 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Mystery Road (S1)

A fine recommendation from this very thread. An aboriginal detective is called into a small outback town to solve a missing persons case. It's very good, slow paced, but manages to keep things interesting. Everyone does a decent job, although the local sergeant made it for me. It was bothering me who she was and it turns out that she was the terrorist leader in Who Dares Wins - one of my most watched films as a youngster.

7/10
  • THFourteen 6 Apr 2021 08:03:16 54,352 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @dominalien

I'm glad i'm not the only one who bounced off it. It was quite meh.
  • Dougs 6 Apr 2021 08:04:24 98,694 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Pfft, call yourselves nerds? You don't even Star Wars.
  • cov 6 Apr 2021 08:07:51 2,494 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Haji/giri - missed this when it came out. BBC now on netflix. Rather marvellous yakuza tale set in london and tokyo.

8/10
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Apr 2021 08:22:56 30,281 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cov wrote:
    Haji/giri - missed this when it came out. BBC now on netflix. Rather marvellous yakuza tale set in london and tokyo.

8/10
    Meh, terrible writing from halfway onwards.

Iím 4 episodes into Ozark and loving it, well impressed with Jason Bateman.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Apr 2021 08:29:01 25,619 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember one scene in Haji/Giri (can't remember what episode, I think it was either the last or second last) that reminded me of something Bryan Fuller apparently said to directors of the Hannibal TV show: "remember, you are not making an episode of TV, you are making a pretentious art film".

I thought that worked really well with Hannibal. This... less so.
  • dominalien 6 Apr 2021 09:55:24 10,402 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @THFourteen

My problem is it isnít meh, itís downright offensive.

Iím on the straight road towards shaking my walking stick at youngsters arenít I?
  • Bambot 6 Apr 2021 09:59:20 2,050 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Still Game: series 9. Very good and maybe not the best series but still solid stuff and the ending was very touching. I will miss the inhabitants of Craiglang.. Except I won't, as I have started from the beginning again.
    its a very wecloming show for sure.
  • RedPanda87 6 Apr 2021 12:49:29 2,132 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    cov wrote:

8/10

Calling the writing there terrible while praising Ozark amuses me. I enjoy Ozark, but it's definitely closer to a guilty pleasure. Although at 4 episodes in maybe it hasn't devolved into sheer silliness yet.
  • chopsen 6 Apr 2021 12:54:54 21,840 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Eh, what's wrong with Ozark?

It's a blatant Breaking Bad rip off, but it's pretty good I think. Certainly better than the torrent of young adult fantasy drama and/or superhero guff that netflix seems to drown under.
  • chopsen 6 Apr 2021 12:55:43 21,840 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Talking of minority opinions: I've come to the conclusion that ITV does better original drama than BBC. Fight me.
  • gossypboy 6 Apr 2021 13:09:37 140 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Star Trek lower decks season one.

It gets better but if that the best Trek at the moment they need to try harder.

7 out 10 hopefully we get more cameos next season.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 6 Apr 2021 13:13:44 33,710 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Speaking of young adult fantasy drama guff, I watched Tribes of Europa over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • GrandpaUlrira 6 Apr 2021 13:16:25 3,871 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    24 - Season 1, 9/10.

Tense stuff with great acting and plenty of nailbiting moments. A few bits felt a bit strung out, notably with Teri and Kim, but generally the pacing was strong and plotlines didn't outstay their welcome. It stuck the landing, with the last few episodes being as strong as anything early on.
  • drhickman1983 6 Apr 2021 14:14:37 7,498 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Snowpiercer season 2

I enjoyed it. It's pretty cheesy at times, which is pretty unavoidable given its high concept. The season ended up being quite surprising at times; it didn't, as I initially feared, just copy the first, having a few genuinely unexpected twists and turns.

Characters were strong and the heroes have flaws, and on the odd occasion where a character's actions felt determined by the story rather than what a real person might do the actors do a great job of selling it.

7/10 overall. A few episodes individually reached higher, and I'm very much looking forward to season 3

Edited by drhickman1983 at 15:21:47 06-04-2021
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Apr 2021 14:16:43 16,858 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Agree with that assessment of Snowpiercer 2
  • cov 6 Apr 2021 16:01:39 2,494 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    cov wrote:

8/10

Dont see it myself if anything it got better as it broke out of the confines of the genre and had some great writing but have heard that elsewhere so its clearly marmite.

Put it this way i suspect you either love that bit in the finale or hated it.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Apr 2021 16:05:55 30,281 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cov wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    cov wrote:

8/10

Dont see it myself if anything it got better as it broke out of the confines of the genre and had some great writing but have heard that elsewhere so its clearly marmite.

Put it this way i suspect you either love that bit in the finale or hated it.
    The finale was fine, what bothered me was the way the writing went when suddenly you had one fantastic coincidence after another which ruined the believability for me.
  • RGeefe 6 Apr 2021 16:12:36 1,864 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ozark is defo a poor man's Breaking Bad. For me it's a consistent 6 or 7/10. I wouldn't say it's "good" but it's watchable. I'm invested enough but I also feel like if it ended tomorrow I wouldn't be bothered.

Mindhunter was Netflix's star but they fucked that.
  • TheSaint 6 Apr 2021 16:18:25 20,544 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Giri/Haji was good until the dancing.
  • cov 6 Apr 2021 16:56:48 2,494 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Was eh at first but then loved it :)
  • Knighty 6 Apr 2021 21:53:17 1,285 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Marcella series 1 and 2 - absolute complete toss saved by Anna friel and a good soundtrack.
    Literally plot holes everywhere, characters whose storyline go nowhere, dark for the sake of being dark, and in series 2 an absolutely bizarre ending to set up a next season that feels utterly bonkers.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Apr 2021 08:13:31 17,132 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I liked the dancing too

Although Kelly McDonald could be in anything for me
  • RedPanda87 7 Apr 2021 08:19:02 2,132 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    Eh, what's wrong with Ozark?

It's a blatant Breaking Bad rip off, but it's pretty good I think. Certainly better than the torrent of young adult fantasy drama and/or superhero guff that netflix seems to drown under.
    It's a Breaking Bad rip off written by people who don't have half the talent of the Breaking Bad writers imo. I still enjoy it as I said, and it's written in a way that makes it compelling, but to my mind it's clearly not 'quality' TV. It is perhaps better than a lot of the sorts of things you're mentioning, but that's not saying much.
  • RedPanda87 7 Apr 2021 08:19:27 2,132 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Also yeah the dancing is great.
  • TechnoHippy 7 Apr 2021 08:35:29 18,913 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Mindhunter was Netflix's star but they fucked that.
    An excellent show.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.