Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 356

• DUFFMAN5 7 Apr 2021 10:41:53 26,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Knighty wrote:
    Marcella series 1 and 2 - absolute complete toss saved by Anna friel and a good soundtrack.
    Literally plot holes everywhere, characters whose storyline go nowhere, dark for the sake of being dark, and in series 2 an absolutely bizarre ending to set up a next season that feels utterly bonkers.
    I enjoyed 1 thought 2 was mostly toss and yes the ending WTF. I did enjoy series 3 though, a bit more like it.
  • RGeefe 7 Apr 2021 11:27:44 1,864 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also Ozark shows Jason Bateman has absolutely zero range. He's just being Michael from Arrested Development but playing it absolutely straight
  • Jono62 7 Apr 2021 11:36:50 26,762 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Best character in Ozark is Ruth.
  • creepiest-lizard 7 Apr 2021 12:28:18 2,301 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, Ruth is the main reaaon I keep watching.
    I hope she ends up okay.
    I will say this about Ozark. Its one of the only shows of its type where the main characters kids dont annoy the fuck out of me. I like where they went with their intergration into the story.
    Ozark is fine. Its no Breaking Bad but what is?

Edited by creepiest-lizard at 12:28:52 07-04-2021
  • Syrette 7 Apr 2021 12:29:44 51,071 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    The Mandalorian on Disney+

Iím up to ep 6 of season 2, but Iím done.

So yeah, terrible.

3/10
    Whut
  • Knighty 7 Apr 2021 12:33:36 1,285 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Knighty wrote:
    Marcella series 1 and 2 - absolute complete toss saved by Anna friel and a good soundtrack.
    Literally plot holes everywhere, characters whose storyline go nowhere, dark for the sake of being dark, and in series 2 an absolutely bizarre ending to set up a next season that feels utterly bonkers.
    I enjoyed 1 thought 2 was mostly toss and yes the ending WTF. I did enjoy series 3 though, a bit more like it.
    Season 1 - did we ever find out what happened with the taxi drivers brother? Felt like I missed an episode.
  • Not-a-reviewer 7 Apr 2021 12:34:02 7,268 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Also Ozark shows Jason Bateman has absolutely zero range. He's just being Michael from Arrested Development but playing it absolutely straight
    Heís the same but playing it completely differently? How is that zero range?
  • RGeefe 7 Apr 2021 12:40:49 1,864 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As in there's no madness around him. Same character but the confused/ annoyed face is surrounded by murder, rather than Henry Winkler
  • ZuluHero 7 Apr 2021 12:52:22 10,095 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Crossing (Amazon Prime)

War torn refuges, from 200 years in the future, escaping genocide from evolved humans wash up on the shore of a small north-western American town.

Really enjoyed it. A good mix of intrigue and action. Sadly I've since found out it was cancelled, but while there were some interesting plot points seeded, that seem to be planned for season 2, it wraps up in a satisfactory way, enough so that you wouldn't feel terribly cheated watching just a single season.

Solid 7/10
  • Kay 7 Apr 2021 13:16:56 21,070 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    As in there's no madness around him. Same character but the confused/ annoyed face is surrounded by murder, rather than Henry Winkler
    He just happens to have a deadpan comedic style that lends itself well to dramatic roles too. It's been a few years since I've seen Ozark (season 1 only), but I seem to remember him being subtly menacing at times in it, and in other stuff like The Gift. It's no Bryan Cranston style complete transformation, but it's still pretty good imo.
  • chopsen 7 Apr 2021 13:58:20 21,840 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think it's fair to say that Jason Bateman doesn't really have range in terms of the characters, but I think in terms of doing "Jason Bateman Character" I think he's perfectly credible and entertaining. That's puts him in the same game as a lot (most) actors though. Not everybody is a Sam Rockwell or a Gary Oldman.

Jeez. Tough crowd.
  • nickthegun 7 Apr 2021 14:45:26 86,026 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I watched the first series. Thought it was ok but was trying a bit hard. Didnt watch the next one.

This has been my TED talk.
  • Globalmeltdown 7 Apr 2021 14:48:46 993 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fear the walking dead season 5
    Utter crap
  • Rum_Monkey 7 Apr 2021 15:00:08 2,512 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Ozark is that solid 8/10 show like Ray Donavon. Not top tier but well made, acted and intriguing storylines

Edited by Rum_Monkey at 12:04:00 08-04-2021
  • Not-a-reviewer 7 Apr 2021 15:12:26 7,268 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    I think it's fair to say that Jason Bateman doesn't really have range in terms of the characters, but I think in terms of doing "Jason Bateman Character" I think he's perfectly credible and entertaining. That's puts him in the same game as a lot (most) actors though. Not everybody is a Sam Rockwell or a Gary Oldman.

Jeez. Tough crowd.
    Yeah that sums him up well, and is similar to most other actors. Itís not zero range but itís always a slight variation of him.

Iím not sure I get the ozark criticism here. It didnít start as being particularly original and was a bit too obviously made off the back of Breaking Bad but it has changed a bit since then, the performances are all pretty decent and the writing is well above average.
  • mothercruncher 7 Apr 2021 15:25:08 19,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I ate all the toffees from Quality Street and arranged the yellow wrappers all over the TV, enjoyed Ozark with a sunny disposition a lot more.
  • TechnoHippy 7 Apr 2021 18:56:07 18,913 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Mystery Road (S2)

The detective is off to a new town, with a new crime to solve. I slightly preferred the support cast in the first series, but the town's secrets are better done in this one. The investigation is solid and it remains a decent watch.

7/10
  • SolidSCB 8 Apr 2021 10:38:27 15,307 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Unforgotten S4

Line of Duty seems to get all the headlines but personally I think this shits on it from a great height. Thought the ending was an absolutely perfect, devastating yet beautiful blow to the stomach. Which they then ruined by announcing there was going to be a S5 almost immediately after it finished airing. TV in a nutshell.

9/10
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Apr 2021 11:05:39 26,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @SolidSCB
    Agree with it being a great series and the two leads are also wonderful. I am happy for series 5...but not, I'm sure you get me.

Watching Keeping Faith series 3 via iplayer, 3 episodes in and much like to 2 previous series it is good enough to keep watching without every being essential. Eve Myles is very good in it.
  • PierrePressure 8 Apr 2021 12:01:15 1,373 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Breaking Bad is that solid 8/10 show like Ray Donavon. Not top tier but well made, acted and intriguing storylines

Breaking Bad and Ray Donovan are not of the same quality. At all.
  • Rum_Monkey 8 Apr 2021 12:03:42 2,512 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    PierrePressure wrote:
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Breaking Bad is that solid 8/10 show like Ray Donavon. Not top tier but well made, acted and intriguing storylines

Breaking Bad and Ray Donovan are not of the same quality. At all.
    Sorry, I meant to put ozark not BB.
  • Gruff 8 Apr 2021 13:10:31 3,804 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Enjoying Made for Love, darkish comedy on HBO, it can be otherwise "sourced".

Cristin Milioti, Billy Magnussen, Ray Romano are all great, especially Milioti who was just as good in Palm Springs
  • RawShark 9 Apr 2021 22:51:14 1,686 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Your Honor

Possibly the hokeyest series Iíve seen in a long time. There are ridiculous coincidences that would never happen in real life, characters regularly make huge leaps of intuition which are incredibly unlikely, whole plot points are forgotten and abandoned, and Bryan Cranstonís son is the gormiest gorm who is the one who gorms. And the ending is laughably shit.

The series improves slightly when they move into the court room. But when UK tv is doing this sort of thing so much better, I need to call them out on being this shoddy. If Bryan Cranston wasnít in this no one would care.

Waste of ten hours.

3/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Apr 2021 23:21:32 17,132 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wandavision

Well that was bloody excellent. Iím glad I waited to watch it all in a week rather than on release over nine. If this is the standard Marvel are going to keep for their Disney+ shows Iím a happy man. That might be better than half the movies theyíve made.

Everything about it was so well realised and it looked great. The pacing as the situation was slowly revealed was excellent. Some nice call backs to other parts of the MCU and the decision to use the guy who played Quicksilver in the X-Men movies was inspired.

Loved the plot too. I know Endgame and Civil War have tried to show the consequences of actions in previous stories before but this one really brought home the impact it could have on the characters as people.

9.5/10
  • TechnoHippy 10 Apr 2021 11:06:42 18,913 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Emergence

A mysterious young girl is found at the site of an airplane crash. The title kinda gives away what's going on, but I did enjoy it. It could have shaved a couple of episodes and been tighter pace wise. Overall it's competent and did maintain my interest throughout. I'd be interested in a second series.

7/10
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Apr 2021 11:10:42 26,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Keeping Faith series 3 on iplayer.
    Overall enjoyed, first 4 episodes pretty slow with the last 2 ramping up the danger/drama. As I mentioned before not a AAA drama (Happy Valley/Unforgotten etc) but certainly a AA one.
    7/10
  • TechnoHippy 11 Apr 2021 19:35:54 18,913 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Them

A very effective horror about a black family moving to a white neighbourhood in the 50s. As you can imagine racism is a strong theme and quite brutal, but this poor family also have more than that to contend with. It manages a strong blend between the various sources of their distress. There's some excellent atmosphere, some wince worthy moments and some horrific brutality. Available on Amazon.

8/10
  • Tomo 12 Apr 2021 22:55:00 19,180 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Flight Attendant S1 - 5/10

The blonde one from Big Bang Theory is an alcoholic flight attendant at the centre of a high profile murder. First episode or two were a solid 8/10. Breezy fun stuff, like a lightweight rip off of Killing Eve. But even with an 8 episode series it manages to feel strung out. Gets steadily worse as it goes on. Stretches the levels of implausibility to breaking point by the end. Feels the need to explain every little plot point just in case you missed something. Annoying flashback tropes. And wayyyy to much irritating American comedy-for-levity type dialogue. "Oh no you di'nt". That kind of shit.

Edited by Tomo at 22:56:14 12-04-2021
  • RawShark 12 Apr 2021 23:02:16 1,686 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Three episodes in and I have to admit Iím struggling a bit. Literally everything she does is the wrong thing. Itís like watching a ten episode long Uncut Gems. Which might sound ok - Uncut Gems was awesome - but in fact is pretty exhausting.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.