Following Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 385

• Dougs 21 Jul 2021 13:18:34 100,274 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Burn Notice was great fun. I probably only got 3 or 4 seasons in but did enjoy it. And of course, it has Bruce.
  • Mola_Ram 21 Jul 2021 13:19:40 26,052 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @creepiest-lizard I think the difference with Gomorrah isn't so much that the characters are evil. It's that the world they've lived their whole lives in is evil. Even if you keep thinking that the characters are pieces of shit (and they are, though there's some measure of redemption later on), you can at least understand why. And that makes them really compelling for me.
  • creepiest-lizard 21 Jul 2021 17:28:56 2,885 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mola_Ram
    Oh, absolutely agree. In fact, its one of the things I remind myself of to keep watching. The snippets of Ciros paat that you get do give some much needed context to how he is the way he is and poor ol Genny was almost human until his mumshipped him off to Honduras.
    Yeah..I may have been slightly hasty in my judgement..
  • JoeBlade 21 Jul 2021 17:36:09 6,195 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    And of course, it has Bruce.
    It has the shark from that apex of cheesiness, Jaws?

Yes I know you mean Campbell :p
  • RawShark 23 Jul 2021 12:51:21 2,080 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My Hero Academia - Season 1 (Netflix)

More superheroes. But at school. I should really be getting tired of stuff like this by now, but damn it this is really good stuff. It takes a while to get going but thereís a rich cast of rounded and interesting characters and each episode has such a hook that you just keep letting them roll on and before you know it youíve finished the entire series and itís 4am.

With that in mind, itís a shame that Netflix only bought the rights to the first season (and if other anime series are anything to go by, it wonít buy up any seasons after that). This must have been Funimationís plan all along, as immediately after I signed up for a 30 day free trial and blitzed through most of season 2.

9/10 Good entry point for anyone who doesnít know where to start with anime.
  • Dougs 23 Jul 2021 13:22:52 100,274 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @JoeBlade ha, I'd forgotten that was the name they gave him!
  • Darth_Flibble 23 Jul 2021 17:31:22 5,517 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Van Helsing - season 5

Glad they finished the show and ok ending, shame they wasted a lot of the episodes as it feels padded for 13 episodes. Also Vanessa is barely in the show, last season she disappeared for a while, not sure if the actress had other things, the VH kids are not that great but they were a major plot point. The series started off really well for season 1 but the show got bloated with too many characters and story was drawn out

6/10
  • neems 23 Jul 2021 17:40:58 5,608 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chernobyl

Fantastically well made, acted and told dramatisation of a truly horrendous episode in recent history. I vaguely remember it at the time (I was 7 when the reactor exploded) but I don't recall ever being overly concerned. When you realise what could have happened, and the human cost of preventing it...

Excellent / 100
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Jul 2021 00:11:30 19,729 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Marvelís MODOK

Very silly Robot Chicken looking Disney+ Star animation that is far better than youíd expect it to be. Patton Oswald as MODOK really makes it, thereís such a lovable mania to his performance. Lots of easter eggs and cameos from Marvel D-listers who wouldnít get a mention in the MCU too.

Its a pity that it doesnít end particularly satisfyingly but its mostly good fun.

8/10
  • Load_2.0 24 Jul 2021 12:20:25 33,522 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I am starting The Leftovers at the recommendations of the forum.

I will report back with a detailed critique.
  • Lotos8ter 24 Jul 2021 12:48:46 3,148 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Load_2.0 Iím not warming to it quite yet, despite the stellar cast. Iím only halfway through S1, but not much the wiser whatís going on. I will persevere though
  • creepiest-lizard 24 Jul 2021 13:09:16 2,885 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    @Load_2.0 Iím not warming to it quite yet, despite the stellar cast. Iím only halfway through S1, but not much the wiser whatís going on. I will persevere though
    I love The Leftovers but don't expect to be any the wiser after 3 seasons. If anything, expect more questions.
    I can see why someone wouldn't like it and in fact would actually get annoyed by it.
  • Dougs 24 Jul 2021 14:04:00 100,274 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm about halfway through S1 too. I like it, but you can't half tell it's by the same writer as Lost.
  • Lotos8ter 24 Jul 2021 16:15:49 3,148 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Dougs that explains a lot.

Iím going to keep going and lower my expectations that thereís a big reveal episode.
  • RawShark 24 Jul 2021 18:11:35 2,080 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Itís one of those ďenjoy the rideĒ series. Itís consistently mad. The Christopher Eccleston episodes are just splendid.
  • Garfy 25 Jul 2021 12:50:16 1,552 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Master of the Universe: Revelations

Laser targeted nostalgia to my 10 year old self playing with action figures/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Jul 2021 13:55:16 19,729 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    One of the classic playground rumours round here was the kid who stuck the head of a He-Man figure up his bum
  • Rodimus-Prime 25 Jul 2021 15:02:50 496 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Season 5 of Inside No. 9. I completely missed that season 6 came out in May, but instead of jumping straight in i thought i'd rewatch some of my favourite episodes first.

Tom and Gerri, Diddle Diddle Dumpling, 12 Days of Christine, etc etc, but when i put on The Referee's A Wanker, and the next episode was Death Be Not Proud, then Love's Great Adventure, Misderiction, Thinking Out Loud and Stakeout... i realised i was going to have to watch all of them.

It's got to be my favourite season. Not necessarily my six favourite episodes, but everyone of them is way above average, and i think the other seasons all have one episode that was just a bit 'meh' for me.

I'm looking forward to kicking back later on tonight with what remains of my desperados keg and watching season six.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Jul 2021 15:12:33 19,729 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This Way Up season 2

Aisling Bea and Sharon Horgan comedy drama which doesnít quite deliver as either. Its fine but thereís been other shows covering similar ground which Iíve enjoyed more over the last couple of years.

7/10
  • Tomo 25 Jul 2021 23:55:25 19,525 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Mare of Easttown - 9/10

Verrrrry good. Winslet is such a goddess. What a bunch of characters and what a fucking shithole. Really appreciated it only being 7 episodes too.
  • RawShark 26 Jul 2021 00:24:39 2,080 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Masters of The Universe - Netflix

More of a sequel to the original Filmation series than a reboot, but also sort of a soft reboot. To say why is a bit of a spoiler.

Honestly, Iíd have preferred then to continue the story from the excellent 2002 reboot, which is still the best He-Man series to date. I can do without the talking Cringer. But at least itís better than the god awful 1990 New Adventures of He-Man.

Itís ok, but never better than it needs to be. It looks decent. Thereís a good voice cast (although I wish Mark Hamill didnít recycle his Joker voice for Skeletor). But at five episodes long donít expect anything of real substance here.

You still get the feeling like they try and squeeze every one of the toys into the episodes, regardless of how ridiculous they were. The Eternia playset with the monorail that stops at snake mountain even makes it in there.

People are inevitably going to criticise it as being ďwokeĒ but I like that they did something different. Good ending too

6/10
  • TechnoHippy 26 Jul 2021 08:56:23 19,213 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Which was the series where he wore trousers?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 26 Jul 2021 09:26:01 19,729 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Was New Adventures the space He-Man where everyone looked wrong?
  • TechnoHippy 26 Jul 2021 09:34:00 19,213 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It was awful.
  • RawShark 26 Jul 2021 11:01:11 2,080 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep that was the one.
  • Nanocrystal 26 Jul 2021 11:37:53 2,522 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    askew wrote:
    The Investigation on iPlayer. Woah. It focuses on the weird Danish freak who took Kim Wall for a spin on his home-made submarine, murdered her, and disposed of her body at sea, before scuttling the sub.

Actually, that's not quite true. It doesn't focus on him: he's given the short-shrift he deserves, and it's all about the police investigation and how they search for Wall's remains, and try to build a case against him. Danelaw (hoho) seems to work slightly differently.

Features two of the main actors from A Hijacking, a haunting cello-based score, and Agnes Obel on the soundtrack.
    Thanks for recomeding this, it was great. Good to see Euron Greyjoy and Shmi Skywalker working with some good material for a change.
  • Gruff 26 Jul 2021 12:52:42 3,907 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Spent the whole W/E with flu (not the murder kind) but kept warm on the sofa under a blanket and by watching series 1 and 2 of 30 Rock.

It has been long enough that I could not remember many of the episodes, still great
  • creepiest-lizard 26 Jul 2021 12:58:03 2,885 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gomorrah season 3

The best season so far. It manages to inject a bit of humanity into a couple of the main characters and gives them all a slightly more interesting arc and motivation for doing what they do.
    The overall production and atmosphere are typically great.
    Really invested to see where it all goes in season 4

8/10

Edited by creepiest-lizard at 12:59:54 26-07-2021
  • TechnoHippy 26 Jul 2021 13:03:51 19,213 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Six (S1)

A fortuitous find on Prime. It's very similar to The Unit (which I loved), although with a tighter story and less conspiracy - which is fine with me. There's a solid cast, and Walter Goggins is almost always worth a watch. The action is well done, and the home front balance reasonable.

8/10
  • jimnastics 26 Jul 2021 18:40:04 1,884 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Six (S1)

A fortuitous find on Prime. It's very similar to The Unit (which I loved), although with a tighter story and less conspiracy - which is fine with me. There's a solid cast, and Walter Goggins is almost always worth a watch. The action is well done, and the home front balance reasonable.

8/10
    Where does it sit on the Go 'Murica! scale? Always avoided due to concerns on that, but maybe I should give it a go.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.