Following Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 199

• beastmaster 27 Aug 2018 12:48:10 18,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Doctor Who - S9

Bloody hell, Capaldi is brilliant.

Couple of duff episodes but I really enjoyed it overall.

8/10
  • JoeBlade 27 Aug 2018 19:55:19 4,252 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Disenchantment

Essentially Futurama in a medieval fantasy setting complete with a core trio similar to Leela, Fry and Bender.

Considering it's brand new it's comfortingly familiar and finds its feet in no time.

Looking forward to more already.

8.5/10
    Hadn't gotten around to it before but I'm watching this right now and I love it.
    So far it's as if there are no weaker episodes and it's gotten hearty laughs out of me repeatedly, something that is rare nowadays (having seen so much comedy already it often seems too familiar)
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Aug 2018 20:34:05 23,361 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @beastmaster
    Has he said "fucktybye" yet :)
  • Vortex808 28 Aug 2018 22:29:19 12,609 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sooo, finally got round to watching Gomorrah season 1 having bought the season 1-3 bluray.

It's a bit good innit? I thought Ciro would be all right at the start, but no, turns out he's a total dick too!

No honour amongst thieves, eh? 😉
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 28 Aug 2018 22:40:41 15,864 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lolling for stuff to watch with 'er indoors, is Bosch any good? We watched the first episode tonight and it seems pretty decent except for his mildly troubling face.
  • JoelStinty 29 Aug 2018 15:38:43 6,830 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Attack on Titan S1

Decent. Suffers from typical anime tropes of over zealous melodrama and shouting, but its interesting, as some really nicely crafted animation and a story that is intriguing. Like the strategy elements to the battles, but it does suffer everything feeling like it is going at a million miles per hour but seemingly moving the whole story on a couple of yards.

3/5
  • Dougs 29 Aug 2018 16:42:53 86,487 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Lolling for stuff to watch with 'er indoors, is Bosch any good? We watched the first episode tonight and it seems pretty decent except for his mildly troubling face.
    I really like it. I'm a fan of the books, so it took me a while to adjust to Titus Welliver being Bosch but otherwise it's a good interpretation. Not stellar but very watchable and binge worthy.

If you haven't watched it, you have to check out Mrs Maisel. Definitely one to watch with the missus.
  • TheBlackDog 29 Aug 2018 19:29:05 1,066 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Decks Another thumbs up for Bosch - really good and the wife liked it even more than me (she went on to read some of the books after).
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 29 Aug 2018 21:19:04 15,864 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    OK cheers, I'll stick with it. I'm not normally a fan of cop show things but I quite like the cut of his jib.
  • beastmaster 29 Aug 2018 21:40:34 18,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @beastmaster
    Has he said "fucktybye" yet :)
    I don’t think so. Can’t stop laughing.

Got so much I haven’t seen. Peep Show, Line of Duty, Black Mirror, Luke Cage series 2, The Supranos, The Wire and Breaking Bad. I’ll get around to them eventually. I may do Luke’s Cage just before Iron Fist Series 2 comes out.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Aug 2018 22:03:55 7,780 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How have you not seen Peep Show ?!?!
  • beastmaster 29 Aug 2018 22:14:12 18,632 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I just didn’t watch “regular” TV for years.
  • anephric 29 Aug 2018 23:16:41 2,983 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The first season of Bosch is deffo the weakest with its standard serial killer schtick. The following seasons are better.
  • richardiox 29 Aug 2018 23:48:08 7,239 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'd love to have not seen any peep show and have it all to look forward to. My most rewatched show, easily. Just great characters.
  • jimnastics 31 Aug 2018 07:14:34 1,438 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for the heads up on Bosch from you chaps, we're going to start season 1 tonight. The wife has read and loved the books but for some reason the series passed us by... looking forward to it!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Aug 2018 07:43:07 7,780 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Frankenstein Chronicles

Sean Bean investigates as bodies start turning up stitched together and semi-animated. Production values seem to veer wildly from huge well dressed sets and crowd scenes to cosplaying round the back of National Trust site. It's a lot better than i expected, more murder mystery than horror, think The Alienist but done for ITV. An easy lazy afternoon watch that tickles my interest in historic, crime and horror shows all at once.

At least three big Sharpe Easter eggs in the opening episode too.

7/10
  • Jono62 31 Aug 2018 08:05:00 20,707 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My Kitchen Rules

It hasn't finished yet, but I'm loving this programme. It's an Australian cooking show where teams of two cooks are placed into two groups and have to cook in various places in Australia. The two teams with the lowest score in each group have to cook in elimination house to stay in the competition.

Think it's going into the home stretch as there are 8 teams left and they are all together. There are couple who are complete cunts who I hope lose.

The score I'm giving this programme... is a 10.
  • Frogofdoom 31 Aug 2018 08:14:36 9,658 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Haha im hooked on it as well Jono, the finale has already happened though so if you are watching at English pace you are at risk of spoiling it. They have had some amazing cooks on it over the years though.
  • captbirdseye 31 Aug 2018 08:38:10 8,886 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Man in High The High Castle - S2

What load of boring shite! I really enjoyed S1 and was intrigued where they'd go with the 'films' and the guy making them but instead they chuck all the characters around the globe and focus on pointless shit like Joe and his daddy issues. Also, they couldn't make the Nazis and Japanese more clichéd if they tried. Really disappointing

2/10
  • Mr_Sleep 31 Aug 2018 08:45:31 21,937 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    The Supranos, The Wire and Breaking Bad.
    These should be the priority.
  • Dougs 31 Aug 2018 15:16:07 86,487 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I concur. They are my top 3 of all time. In that order too.
  • DUFFMAN5 31 Aug 2018 15:24:22 23,361 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Keeping Faith. (BBC1)
    Drama about a husband (who is a lawyer) who disappears, leaving on first thoughts very little way of clues or reasons for vanishing. Upon digging a bit more, there is a lot more to it.
    He leaves his wife, also a lawyer and 3 young children, set in Wales.

Good but could have easily been 6 episodes
    7/10
  • Buffalo_Bertie 31 Aug 2018 15:43:27 26 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Dougs Wow. Until now, I've yet to find anyone that agrees with my opinion that Sopranos is better than The Wire. It's a constant source of debate with family/friends.
  • Zerobob 31 Aug 2018 15:47:52 2,114 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Man in High The High Castle - S2

What load of boring shite! I really enjoyed S1 and was intrigued where they'd go with the 'films' and the guy making them but instead they chuck all the characters around the globe and focus on pointless shit like Joe and his daddy issues. Also, they couldn't make the Nazis and Japanese more clichéd if they tried. Really disappointing

2/10
    I was wondering when series 3 was airing earlier today (5h October) but I agree, I didn't enjoy series 2 as much as the first because things got a bit sidetracked.

I didn't mind that the characters were a bit clichéd; I think the characters are all great and clearly defined. I don't like it when series start frustratingly padding things out though, instead of concentrating on the main story, which is clearly the case here.
  • Dougs 31 Aug 2018 16:02:45 86,487 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Buffalo_Bertie wrote:
    @Dougs Wow. Until now, I've yet to find anyone that agrees with my opinion that Sopranos is better than The Wire. It's a constant source of debate with family/friends.
    Admittedly I need to rewatch The Wire and I did love it. But I'm now on my 6th run through of the sopranos, which probably speaks volumes. I just love the characters. Next time The Wire cycles back round on NowTV, I'll give it another whirl.
  • jaangus 31 Aug 2018 18:50:23 5,370 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    The Supranos, The Wire and Breaking Bad.
    These should be the priority.
    In my humble opinion Gomorrah is superior to 2 out of the 3 shows in that list but The Wire is still the best tv show I have seen.
  • JanetSnakehole 31 Aug 2018 18:54:40 237 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Keeping Faith. (BBC1)
    Drama about a husband (who is a lawyer) who disappears, leaving on first thoughts very little way of clues or reasons for vanishing. Upon digging a bit more, there is a lot more to it.
    He leaves his wife, also a lawyer and 3 young children, set in Wales.

Good but could have easily been 6 episodes
    7/10
    I know as I say this it's stupid and of course it won't be the case, but when I saw it was a BBC drama called Keeping Faith I briefly thought that the main character would be called Faith. I mean, that's ridiculous isn't it?
  • reddevil93 31 Aug 2018 21:05:13 14,611 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Buffalo_Bertie wrote:
    Admittedly I need to rewatch The Wire and I did love it. But I'm now on my 6th run through of the sopranos, which probably speaks volumes. I just love the characters. Next time The Wire cycles back round on NowTV, I'll give it another whirl.
    I've watched the Wire about 5/6 times now and still pick up on new stuff everytime. That said, I'm watching through the Sopranos for the 3rd time with my roommate who's experiencing it for the first time and it's just so unbelievably good. The humour (Chirs & Paulie especially) and the family dynamics just constantly crack me up.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Sep 2018 00:27:05 7,780 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Frankenstein Chronicles

Sean Bean investigates as bodies start turning up stitched together and semi-animated. Production values seem to veer wildly from huge well dressed sets and crowd scenes to cosplaying round the back of National Trust site. It's a lot better than i expected, more murder mystery than horror, think The Alienist but done for ITV. An easy lazy afternoon watch that tickles my interest in historic, crime and horror shows all at once.

At least three big Sharpe Easter eggs in the opening episode too.

7/10
    Season two is terrible.
  • sirtacos 3 Sep 2018 00:42:55 8,045 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Buffalo_Bertie wrote:
    The Wire & The Sopranos are apples & oranges IMO. Each does its own thing to great effect, but I don't think either benefits from a direct comparison, as it ultimately boils down to personal taste. As far as I'm concerned they're both basically literature on TV. The Sopranos is much more introspective and character-driven. The Wire is like a Visible-Human-Project-style cross-sectional slice of contemporary America; it's much more political and plot-driven.

Edited by sirtacos at 00:44:34 03-09-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.