The second season is a lot funnier imo.
  • souvlaki 25 Oct 2018 10:16:41 866 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Garfy wrote:
    The Good Place Season 1

Funny, smart and I hope Ted Danson won an emmy
    Finding this weirdly entertaining, yet not humourous in the slightest.
    That is what I found as well and didn't continue with Season 2. I'll give it a go sometime though (especially as Desks says it gets funnier).
  • BinaryBob101 25 Oct 2018 10:36:46 26,578 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GuybrushFreepwood wrote:
    Dark (Netflix)

The dubbing didn't help and felt very obvious to me and... well... I got what was happening, but just really didn't care.

5/10 I'll not be watching season 2.
    This was your whole problem right here. Why would you watch a foreign language show so deep and twisted with the dubbed version? You miss everything without the original actors voice. No subtlety. No nuance. Definitely no drama! :D

I read this a fair bit about Dark. Those who watched it with subtitles seemed overall very positive, even loved it. Those who watched the dub generally hated it if they even got past the first few episodes.

Not shocking news really.

Daredevil Season 3 - 8/10

Very, very good. Maybe could have lost one episode, but the story played well enough throughout to keep me and MrsBob engaged. There's a one shot for ten minutes which is fucking thrilling.

Pretty decent adaptation of Born Again too, with enough twists to keep a fan of that happy.
  • RichDC 25 Oct 2018 10:54:21 7,946 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I watched Dark with subtitles and basically agree with what Guybrush said.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Oct 2018 20:53:26 8,060 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Maniac

Like watching two episodes of Black Mirror in parallel but both spread too thin over ten episodes.

Some real fun bits and I really liked the 80s retro-future setting but plot didn't carry the style.

7.5/10
  • Trafford 27 Oct 2018 22:36:52 8,117 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Informer ( BBC iPlayer)

Stylish, great performances and a really satisfying climax.

I thought this was really good and pissed all over the recent luvvietastic Bodyguard.

10/10 for me.
  • ChiefGB 28 Oct 2018 07:14:35 9,588 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But did snow, rite da theem toon, sing da theem toon?
  • gooner77 28 Oct 2018 19:59:27 1,334 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Daredevil S3 9/10

Great return to form for Marvel TV shows. Really hope it doesn't get cancelled.

Getting Kingpin back was a great idea and I did like what they did with the Bullseye character. Lots of great fight scenes too.
  • Deleted user 28 October 2018 23:15:04
    I should get round to season 2. I got pissed off with the side kicks and thought Jessica Jones sucked so gave up with the whole Netflix marvel thing.

Haunting of Hill House.

Excellent. Really reminded me of The Orphanage in that it scared me but also really pulled at my heart strings. I was blubbing by the end

Very much recommended.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Oct 2018 07:42:34 8,060 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Castlevania season 2

Warren Ellis and Netflix delivering on the tease of season 1.

Twice the length of last time but feels both much longer than that and avoids the usual Netflix Original trap of being longer than it needs to be and baggy with filler.

Characters are all great, the settings look cool and gamey, and the action is fun too.

Only slight drawback would be how out of place the swearing sounds. Like Star Trek Discovery it just doesn't seem to fit the tone and setting of the rest of the show.

Could easily binge the whole thing in an evening after work with time to spare for a quick run on Symphony of the Night before bed.

8.5/10
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 29 Oct 2018 08:03:03 16,720 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is the artwork any better? The ugliness of the first one put me off it.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 29 Oct 2018 08:04:52 16,720 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Actually I might be thinking of a different show.
  • nickthegun 29 Oct 2018 08:13:42 75,548 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You're probably not. It's improved but still looks like shit.

It's not bad, though. I watched a few episodes yesterday and they are squeezing all the greatest hits in there.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Oct 2018 08:38:01 8,060 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As someone who has no real understanding of Anime outside of Akira and Ghibli mainstreamy probably doesn't count to real purists type films I think Castlevania looks fine and does exactly what I assume it was meant to
  • RichDC 29 Oct 2018 12:03:05 7,946 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Haunting of Hill House

Thought this was probably the best horror tv series to date, Though I think the first half was better than the second. It's builds atmosphere brilliantly but does become a little too reliant on jump scares.

9/10

Daredevil - S3

Brilliant. Gets rid of ninjas, goes back to basics and brings back Fisk. I think I'll put this as better than series 1, and whilst the other shows are dropping like flies I hope this survives for series 4.

9/10
  • 2old4disshit 29 Oct 2018 12:27:36 600 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Trust- Danny Boyles drama about the john paul getty III kidnapping. Found it better than All The Money In The World and Donald Sutherland was excellent. I'm now wondering if this was more accurate than the film?

8/10
  • Technoishmatt 30 Oct 2018 05:41:47 2,937 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Holy crap, just finished S5 of The 100. Anybody else been following it?

With every season the whole thing just gets more insane.

Solid 8/10 for decent sci-fi hidden as teen drama (it is obviously NOT high brow). Kind of like a low profile Hunger Games that doesnt get shit.
  • GarlVinland 30 Oct 2018 13:16:05 3,751 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Technoishmatt I've bounced hard off that show so many times, even though I hear the storytelling is almost Game of Thrones-like in its ruthlessness and unpredictability. Every time I try and watch it I can never get over the teen, The OC-ness, from the acting to the dialogue.

Does that ever go away? Worth toughing it out?
  • Technoishmatt 30 Oct 2018 13:38:33 2,937 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @GarlVinland Not huuugely. It is still a teen drama! It gets more sci-fi ish.
  • askew 30 Oct 2018 14:51:55 17,759 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What about S3 of Man in the High Castle? I watched the first episode but ended up bored out of my mind :/
  • RichDC 30 Oct 2018 15:28:24 7,946 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Depends how much you liked the first two. It remains slow with the Nazi stuff being more interesting than the Japanese stuff.
  • telboy007 30 Oct 2018 21:52:49 2,258 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Big Mouth season 2 - if you loved the first, you will love this one. No point saying anything more as it is exactly what you would expect. Hope it gets a third.

9/10

Cupcake and dino - general services. Season 1.

Genius.

10/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Oct 2018 22:42:11 8,060 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Cry

BBC doing a 'definitely not Madeline McMann I don't know why you'd even mention her' drama. All looked very slick and like it was put together as a Big Deal but the plot didn't really carry it.

The mystery structure undermined the emotional impact which was a shame.

6/10
  • Dougs 31 Oct 2018 06:57:50 87,066 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Vikings S1. 7/10. Total horseshit, but very watchable, with some great fight scenes.
  • Tonka 1 Nov 2018 14:26:05 28,662 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bodyguard S01

I would happily watch a season 2 of that. I'm really impressed by it. Good action, nice twisty plot, great acting, tense as fuck at times.

Long time since I saw such a professional TV show. To much of Netflix chucking spaghetti at the wall lately.
  • beastmaster 1 Nov 2018 14:51:21 18,729 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Luke Cage S2 - 7/10

I found the first one to be a slog after Cottonmouth died but this one was much, much better. Kept me hooked till the end and wanting more. Netflix then cancelled it.

Iron Fist S2 - 5/10

Don't remember that much about S1 apart from it being not as bad as most people made it out to be. This was an improvement in terms of plot, fighting etc but it was still a bit shit. Netflix cancelled it.

Daredevil S3 - 9/10

This is up there with some of the best crime drama out there. I thought the Daredevil bits sometimes got in the way but the whole thing had be gripped all the way through. Netflix didn't cancel it, thankfully.

Don't know what to go for next. So many good series out there.
  • GarlVinland 1 Nov 2018 15:28:41 3,751 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Daredevil S3 - 9/10

This is up there with some of the best crime drama out there. I thought the Daredevil bits sometimes got in the way but the whole thing had be gripped all the way through. Netflix didn't cancel it, thankfully.
    Does this have the typical Netflix MCU mid-season lull or is it good the whole way through?

I've finished precisely one of those shows and given up on all the rest due to boredom. That one was Daredevil S1 though and S3 sounds like a return to form.
  • beastmaster 1 Nov 2018 20:14:57 18,729 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Daredevil S3 - 9/10

Does this have the typical Netflix MCU mid-season lull or is it good the whole way through?

I've finished precisely one of those shows and given up on all the rest due to boredom. That one was Daredevil S1 though and S3 sounds like a return to form.
    Edit: sorry misread. No fillers. Itís all good imo

Edited by beastmaster at 20:15:48 01-11-2018
  • Darth_Flibble 2 Nov 2018 16:15:27 3,179 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ash vs Evil dead s3

Shame it got cancelled as it was a excellent series (but the ratings dropped)
    Also shame the series never got a bigger following as I think more people would like the show. It deserved one more season to finish it off
  • GarlVinland 2 Nov 2018 17:22:48 3,751 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @beastmaster cheers, I'll give it a go. Bullseye!

@Darth_Flibble I'm almost at the end of S1. It spends an awful lot of time with Amanda just to kill her off. Not sure what to make of it so far. Also not sure I ever wanted to see Ash with sidekicks but Kelly and Pablo are OK I suppose.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.