Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 213

• Armoured_Bear 6 Jan 2019 15:59:48 25,805 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    The Handmaid's Tale S1 - 10/10

This is absolutely bang on. One of the best adaptations I've ever seen. Faithful to the novel, but makes some changes here and there and they pretty much all work. It's a nasty, brutal series which manages to shock even though I've read the book. Elisabeth Moss is so good as Offred. And it's beautifully shot throughout.
    I just watched this, really enjoyed it, now on Season 2.
    Elisabeth Moss is consistency great.

I found the The 2nd episode (S02E02)strange . I don't understand the sudden change from desperate t escape to insatiable nympho out of nowhere.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Jan 2019 16:20:52 9,426 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I felt like the first half of the second series with the failed escape attempt largely felt like filler. The second half and the flashbacks were so much more effective
  • RyanDS 6 Jan 2019 19:01:54 12,616 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chuck season 1

Terrible nerd fulminant and too much leggy blonde.

I fucking love it. Havenít watched since the original run, but it is just so much fun.

8/10

Edited by RyanDS at 19:16:03 06-01-2019
  • QBX 7 Jan 2019 00:38:27 30 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The ABC Murders 8/10 (BBC)

Having read the book by Christie this was an interesting adaption.

John Malkovitch is an 'aged' Poirot that has lost his cult of celebrity and is struggling to remain relevant in the public eye. It touches upon his past and identity before coming to the UK whilst also slightly expanding on the issues of xenophobia briefly mentioned in the book.

My main criticism is the lack of big reveal which comes with a Christie novel but also the reasoning leading to the identification of the killer seeming flimsy. There is also some CGI trains which seems out of place.

Otherwise decent performances all round.
  • Blakester 7 Jan 2019 10:43:04 4,671 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Escape at Dannemora

An 8-part prison escape drama, based on a true story and directed by Ben Stiller.

This was a brilliant surprise. A slow burner, with deep character development that explores not just the escape attempt at an upstate New York prison, but more widely the impact of the US penal system on the inmates and the local community.

Paul Dano and Patricia Arquette are both excellent and suitably grubby in their roles, but it's Benicio Del Toro that really steals the show - oozing suppressed rage and menace.

It's one of those shows where you're constantly resisting the urge to look up what actually happened in real-life. After the 90-minute finale, I absorbed a huge amount of info on what was clearly a major US-event only a few years ago.

9/10
  • jimnastics 7 Jan 2019 13:19:03 1,542 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fortitude - Season 3

I think I was in the minority in really liking season 2, preferring it to season 1 in fact. So I was really looking forward to season 3... until I discovered when we went to find episode 1 that it was a bodge job at just 4 episodes long :/ Does anyone know what happened? Someone high up cut the cord? Screenwriter problems? It seems odd they let them make a final 4 episodes just to try and finish the story.

Anyway, the final 4 episodes are really just a straight continuation of season 2 and a rush job to finish it off. It was a massive shame for me that they had to squeeze Sheriff Dan's psycho breakdown into just 4 eipsodes, I would have a loved a fully fledged season to give it a proper ending, and a chance to flesh out and cap off all of the other story arcs.

Only bother if you're desperate for some closure / 10
  • brokenkey 7 Jan 2019 14:49:06 10,178 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Killing Eve. It won an award last night, even though it goes a bit slapstick in the middle.
  • Dougs 7 Jan 2019 16:33:04 88,244 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Started watching that the other night too (think I've seen 3 episodes). The light touch is welcome but it comes at the expense of fully investing. Very watchable though, will definitely see it through.

Edited by Dougs at 16:39:43 07-01-2019
  • elstoof 7 Jan 2019 16:38:55 22,600 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I enjoyed it a lot. 8/10 for me, the actress playing Vilanelle is fantastic
  • Jono62 7 Jan 2019 16:40:20 21,830 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, she was great. Odd hearing her speak in her normal accent.
  • elstoof 7 Jan 2019 16:44:09 22,600 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The southern English one or her native scouse
  • Jono62 7 Jan 2019 16:44:58 21,830 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @elstoof Scouse.
  • Lotos8ter 7 Jan 2019 22:41:24 2,711 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Blakester youíve probably seen it already but ĎEvil Geniusí on Netflix follows a true life case that will have you reaching for Google/ Wiki. Itís incredibly well done.

Iíve just started Escape at Dannemora and enjoyed the pilot.
  • Nanocrystal 8 Jan 2019 00:27:30 1,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    The Handmaid's Tale S1 - 10/10

This is absolutely bang on. One of the best adaptations I've ever seen. Faithful to the novel, but makes some changes here and there and they pretty much all work. It's a nasty, brutal series which manages to shock even though I've read the book. Elisabeth Moss is so good as Offred. And it's beautifully shot throughout.
    I just watched this, really enjoyed it, now on Season 2.
    Elisabeth Moss is consistency great.

I found the The 2nd episode (S02E02)strange . I don't understand the sudden change from desperate t escape to insatiable nympho out of nowhere.
    I almost recommended to Tomo that he watch S02E01 and then stop, as it's a perfect ending. The rest of S02 went downhill fast and I gave up.
  • BinaryBob101 10 Jan 2019 14:08:22 26,671 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Travelers - Season 1, 2 and 3 - 8/10

It's time travel fluff, but it feels like meaningful fluff, dammit!

All three season have been good fun, it's all so twisty-turny that none of it makes any sense whatsoever, but the characters are great, it's funnier than most shows of it's genre and it's just a great ride.

Feel like this would be a good place to end it too, the finale felt a lot like a series finale.

Marcy and David RIP... :cry:

Or

Traveler program v2.0? I really hope not.

Fun stuff.
  • Blakester 10 Jan 2019 16:10:27 4,671 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    @Blakester youíve probably seen it already but ĎEvil Geniusí on Netflix follows a true life case that will have you reaching for Google/ Wiki. Itís incredibly well done.

Iíve just started Escape at Dannemora and enjoyed the pilot.
    Yes I liked Evil Genius, even if it felt a little grubby to be watching people living in such an awful environment fuck each other over.
  • retro74 10 Jan 2019 16:26:42 2,681 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's 20 years since The Sopranos was first on TV apparently

Even on Twitter today there's still debate of the the final episode's ending :)
  • RawShark 10 Jan 2019 16:33:04 518 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hi Score Girl

A love story told through the various iterations of Street Fighter 2 and the arcade machines that came out in between.

It may be a nostalgia trip because I remember those days between 1991 and 1995 well, but I loved this series. If you hate anime I doubt this will change your mind, but I thought it was funny and surprisingly tender throughout.

It even contains the immortal line:
    "Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo? Why don't they just call it Street Fighter 3"
    "We don't talk about that."

10/10
  • Dougs 10 Jan 2019 16:38:07 88,244 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    retro74 wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/arts/television/david-chase-sopranos-interview.html

Edited by Dougs at 16:38:34 10-01-2019
  • Blakester 10 Jan 2019 17:26:33 4,671 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    retro74 wrote:

I saw this reported yesterday and thought it was an error.

Two decades since the greatest TV show of all time first aired - unbelievable!

It's still the show I judge all other by, and also the one I refuse to watch again for fear of tainting my memories.
  • Dougs 10 Jan 2019 20:19:37 88,244 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nah, get stuck in. It just gets better with every rewatch. (I'm near the end of the 2nd series on my 5th or 6th run though!)
  • Lotos8ter 10 Jan 2019 20:37:52 2,711 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Escape at Dannemora 9/10

A solid, 'truth stranger than fiction' drama directed by Ben Stiller. Its very well made and acted, Paul Dano, Benicio del Toro and Patricia Arquette on fine form in a fascinating prison escape story. Its a bit slow to get going but soon picks up and is very moving. There's little glory here, desperate people doing desperate things with consequences all too evident.

Highly recommended.

Gomorrah Season 1 8/10

Set in the mafia world in Naples, in Italian with a matching cast. There's echoes of The Wire here but little of the humour. Almost everyone is an intensely dislikable thug; the violence is shocking and the ease with which life is taken is just awful. The police are a sideshow here, we never meet them. There are political dalliances for criminal gain and lots of infighting - young v old, clan v clan. I'll watch season 2 at some point but its good to come up for air as this is just bleak.
  • splosh 10 Jan 2019 20:48:46 194 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Lotos8ter If you thought Season one was bleak you better take a pretty huge gasp for air before you watch the next few.

Anyhoo I binged a load of King of the Hill. Season 2 & 3 are top, in particular the Junpin Crack Bass episode. Never knew Tom Petty voices one of the characters either.

Edited by splosh at 20:49:10 10-01-2019
  • Lotos8ter 10 Jan 2019 20:51:19 2,711 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @splosh oh joy - thanks. :-)
  • splosh 10 Jan 2019 20:56:02 194 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Lotos8ter Itís still the most compelling crime show I have watched for a long time. I do think the grimness puts a lot of people off. For me it was their incredibly tacky sense of interior design. Well worth sticking with it.

Thereís another one by the same creators called Suburra: Blood on Rome by the same creators I think. Itís a pretty lighthearted romp after watching a season of Gomorra ; )
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Jan 2019 21:02:08 9,426 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Luther series 5

Dug the serial killer case, was less into the personal problems.

8/10
  • Vortex808 10 Jan 2019 21:03:52 13,064 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gomorrah is the best thing i've watched in years. Get seasons 2 & 3 done asap!

I now have Season 1 of Romanza Criminale to watch yet too. Looking forward to it!
  • mangojoe 10 Jan 2019 21:22:11 2,248 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You (netflix) 7/10

Watched this in 3 days. Lost a point by a disappointing ending
  • QBX 11 Jan 2019 00:30:50 30 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Marcella Series 2 (ITV)

In the age of dark/edgy/gritty dramas you have to do something very special to compete with Luther.

The first series had some promise with Anna Friel playing the title character who suffers from violent blackouts and could be equally as psychotic. This however feels like a cliched tick boxing exercise, with a killer reveal that comes out of nowhere, and the explanation for her blackouts seen coming a mile away.

Boring with a WTF ending.

4/10
  • RawShark 11 Jan 2019 14:01:34 518 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Better Call Saul Season 4

Probably not the best season to date (I prefer season 3) but definitely the best directed.

9/10

Edited by RawShark at 14:02:52 11-01-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.