Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 214

• jaangus 11 Jan 2019 14:21:58 5,377 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Gomorrah is the best thing i've watched in years. Get seasons 2 & 3 done asap!

I now have Season 1 of Romanza Criminale to watch yet too. Looking forward to it!
    Romanzo Criminale is awesome. Season 4 of Gomorrah is out in March but I am not sure if thats Italy only or us as well. Not overly fussed by the GoT finale but am very excited for s4 of Gomorrah.
  • Vortex808 11 Jan 2019 14:48:27 13,069 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jaangus wrote:

Romanzo Criminale is awesome. Season 4 of Gomorrah is out in March but I am not sure if thats Italy only or us as well.
    Sweet. Even if it's only Italy in March, then surely it won't take long before it can be streamed here.
    I didn't know when it was out, so even having a rough idea helps, although I am rather excited for it, so wil be getting impatient from march on now!

Hope it can match the awesomeness of the others.
  • jaangus 11 Jan 2019 15:16:48 5,377 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    jaangus wrote:

Romanzo Criminale is awesome. Season 4 of Gomorrah is out in March but I am not sure if thats Italy only or us as well.
    Sweet. Even if it's only Italy in March, then surely it won't take long before it can be streamed here.
    I didn't know when it was out, so even having a rough idea helps, although I am rather excited for it, so wil be getting impatient from march on now!

Hope it can match the awesomeness of the others.
    Theres a trailer knocking about somewhere, some of it is set in london. You should enjoy Romanzo, I watched it a while ago on Sky Arts.

Glad to see everyone likes Escape from Dannemora, only seen the first episode so far. I hate Ben stiller as an actor but he seems to be a good director.

Edited by jaangus at 15:17:16 11-01-2019
  • Lotos8ter 11 Jan 2019 15:54:23 2,715 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @splosh thanks for the tips. I must admit, I did a “you must be fucking joking” at some monstrosity of a couch that turned up. I think the street kids were using it for target practice later on. 😜
  • QBX 13 Jan 2019 16:24:26 30 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Peaky Blinders Season 4 (BBC)

I had no idea what was going on in S3 so this was a vast improvement.

My main criticism right from the outset is the contrivance/incredulity which pops up every now and again. The family have their heads in the gallows and pardoned at the last minute (again) by the King no less!

They introduced Adrien Brody (channeling his inner Godfather) as a catalyst to bring some form of impact to the plot armour some of the main characters have but after the second episode he becomes impotent being outsmarted at every turn.

From the second series there feels like little real progression as everything always works out alright in the end. Just lots of swearing and sex in between.

As ever though you can't fault the production values.

7/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Jan 2019 23:05:24 9,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Flowers series 1

Weird bleak sad dark comedy with Olivia Coleman, Julian Barrett and a load of people from different Black Mirror episodes in it.

Very good.

8.5/10
  • robthehermit 14 Jan 2019 15:12:58 7,175 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Future Man

7/10

Mildly amusing, time travel comedy that tries too hard and is not as clever or as funny as it thinks it is.

Would have been better if every time they referenced a genre staple they didn't follow it up 30 seconds later with "Did you see what we did there? We referenced something and made it funny"

All that aside, we watched the whole thing in a couple of sittings over the weekend and are looking forward to the next series.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jan 2019 23:52:58 9,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Spaced

Still absolute perfection

100 / 10
  • Tomo 15 Jan 2019 01:09:42 16,436 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sharp Objects - gahhh/10

It's 10/10 stuff for the first 6 episodes and then slowly begins to shit itself in the final two. Probably a 7 or 8 on the whole. I really enjoyed it as it was going though. Some amazing characters, lovely direction and simmering tension throughout. Eventually goes the way of most page turners.
  • Fab4 15 Jan 2019 19:59:00 8,797 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't Trust the B**** in Apt 23 - 10/10 (For both seasons)

Fucking hilarious :) Ritter was made for her role.

How it only got 2 seasons, while some shite gets 4 times that amount, is beyond me.
  • BillMurray 16 Jan 2019 21:22:50 9,382 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One Punch Man 10/10

Just clicked on this by chance as it popped up on Netflix. I hate most anime but loved every second of this. Finished the whole thing in 2 evenings and I can't wait for more.
  • chopsen 16 Jan 2019 21:48:37 20,457 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Fab4

Iirc, it received very little confidence from the network that originally broadcast it. It apparently suffered a lot from the old being shuffled around the schedules so nobody really followed it. That old story.

It's a shame because I really do think it was one of those hidden gems that was consistently brilliant and I really liked the humour.

Then again, it never had time to get old and overdone, so there is that.
  • neems 16 Jan 2019 21:53:45 4,408 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    One Punch Man 10/10

Just clicked on this by chance as it popped up on Netflix. I hate most anime but loved every second of this. Finished the whole thing in 2 evenings and I can't wait for more.
    Same, I can't stand normal anime but One Punch Man is fantastic. Consecutive Normal Punches!
  • RichDC 17 Jan 2019 07:23:51 8,142 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Narcos Mexico

This series just keeps getting better. Michael Pena irritated me at the start with his 'in the new guy and therefore better than everyone' attitude, and while it doesn't go away it grated less towards the end. Some great shootouts, interesting characters and fascinating look at the rise of the cartels.

Look forward to more.

10/10

Edited by RichDC at 07:26:40 17-01-2019
  • Dougs 17 Jan 2019 09:52:37 88,280 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Really need to finish Narcos S4 (or is it 3?) Hasn't grabbed me.
  • Blakester 17 Jan 2019 12:25:54 4,672 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You

On the whole, I think I enjoyed it - especially the way it made you regularly reassess your perceptions of certain characters.

On the downside, I found Beck almost intolerable and a few of the plot contrivances were a little too close to shark-jumping territory.

Would watch another series though.

7/10

Ray Donovan - Season 6

It remains watchable thanks mainly to Jon Voight's slimeball Mickey - but all the subtlety of the early seasons has gone and Ray is now a straight-up killer rather than the enigmatic Hollywood fixer that was initially so interesting.

It's another US show, where the most violent of crimes can seem to be conducted with ease and without fear of witness or justice. After a while it becomes so implausible that it undermines the dramatic tension.

A really strong final two episodes just about bumps this from a 5/10 to a

6/10
  • KnuttinAtoll 18 Jan 2019 21:30:08 6,864 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    House of Cards S6

An utter disappointment despite lowered expectations, with the poorest, most unsatisfying ending I've had to witness in ages. Lots of unresolved story arches too.

Anyone who hasn't watched beyond the S5 finale should do themselves a favour and leave it right there. There's nothing to be gained from watching this season other than resentment.

1/10
  • Dougs 18 Jan 2019 22:55:58 88,280 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I made that decision after seeing other reviews. Shame. They should just have pulled it.

Anyway, Marvellous Mrs Maisel S2. 9/10. Even better than the first. Characters are more developed, it balances comedy and drama superbly and Rachel Brosnahan is fantastic. The Catskills episodes a particularly highlight but it was brilliant throughout. If you've not watched either of the series, you really should.
  • Bichii 19 Jan 2019 08:02:20 1,199 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rick and Morty season 1. 7
    Season 2. 8
    Season 3. 9.

Wow I loved this, can't believe I've never watched it before. Just watched all three seasons in probably a week and a half.
  • DUFFMAN5 19 Jan 2019 09:01:35 24,167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Bichii

It is rather great.

As for me:
    The Crown season 1: 10/10. Not a Royalist in any form, but it was great. Lithgow is superb as Churchill. Foy and Smith also great.

Curb your Enthusiasm season 1 and 2. First time of watching and as expected after seeing many YT clips it is absolutely brilliant.
    Another 10/10.

I bought the complete series of Curb, we are watching 1 or 2 eps an evening, bring on season 3.
  • AddyJB 19 Jan 2019 09:35:36 1,172 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @Bichii

It is rather great.

As for me:
    The Crown season 1: 10/10. Not a Royalist in any form, but it was great. Lithgow is superb as Churchill. Foy and Smith also great.

Curb your Enthusiasm season 1 and 2. First time of watching and as expected after seeing many YT clips it is absolutely brilliant.
    Another 10/10.

I bought the complete series of Curb, we are watching 1 or 2 eps an evening, bring on season 3.
    I'd never watched curb either but I'm now on S4. It's brilliant.
  • JoelStinty 19 Jan 2019 11:25:17 7,442 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Luke Cage S2

A great improvement over its first season. At times it felt like was going round in circles a little bit, but i like its ambition and the quality of its script, acting and directing. Like that they tried something a bit different and they went for a mob epic film spread across a series.

4/5
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Jan 2019 09:54:19 9,472 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sex Education

Funny, well acted and lots of positive messages but it's never not weird that it's set in a Typical American High School and people live in trailer parks yet everyone is English.

7/10
  • richardiox 20 Jan 2019 10:01:53 7,572 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @Bichii

It is rather great.

As for me:

Another 10/10.

I'm so jealous of you seeing Curb for the first time. It's yet to peak and every season is brilliant which is incredibly rare for such a long running show.

RIP Marty Funkhouser
  • Tomo 20 Jan 2019 10:36:09 16,436 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Sex Education

Funny, well acted and lots of positive messages but it's never not weird that it's set in a Typical American High School and people live in trailer parks yet everyone is English.

7/10
    Saw the first episode of this. Surprisingly good. Agree on the weird Americanisms. It also feels like it's set in the 70s based on the fashion and decor, yet they all have mobile phones etc.
  • Blakester 21 Jan 2019 14:27:37 4,672 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @Bichii

It is rather great.

As for me:

Another 10/10.

I'm so jealous of you seeing Curb for the first time. It's yet to peak and every season is brilliant which is incredibly rare for such a long running show.

RIP Marty Funkhouser
    You're all doing it wrong.

There's only one way to describe Curb.....prettay good.

True fact, my daughter (13) uses Larry's chat and cut technique in the school dinner hall to great effect.
  • DUFFMAN5 21 Jan 2019 14:50:23 24,167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Blakester
    I think you mean
    Preattay, prettay,pret-tayyyyy good

Also your daughter, excellent
    ;)
  • JoelStinty 22 Jan 2019 15:42:59 7,442 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dexter Season 1

Really enjoyed this. Good fun, smart and witty. Brave of them to go with two cliched narrative threads Killer woos the sister, and ends up being his brother but it is handled really well and serves to underscore Dexter character as a whole. It works. Look forward to watching more.

4.5/5
  • wobbly_Bob 22 Jan 2019 15:54:36 4,879 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Dexter Season 1

Really enjoyed this. Good fun, smart and witty. Brave of them to go with two cliched narrative threads Killer woos the sister, and ends up being his brother but it is handled really well and serves to underscore Dexter character as a whole. It works. Look forward to watching more.

4.5/5
    Dexter was great at first but unfortunately it turns to shit in later seasons. The first 3 sessions are great at least. I don't remember if the 4th was good or not.
  • JoelStinty 22 Jan 2019 16:01:48 7,442 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Dexter Season 1

4.5/5
    Dexter was great at first but unfortunately it turns to shit in later seasons. The first 3 sessions are great at least. I don't remember if the 4th was good or not.

Yeah I noticed there are 8 or 9 seasons and wondered how long they could string it out for. But will enjoy it whilst it lasts!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.