Rate the last TV series you watched (full seasons only) Page 216

• IronGiant 31 Jan 2019 15:44:42 5,923 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DC Titans Season 1 - 8/10 Went in expecting this to be rubbish but pleasantly surprised. It's bonkers, dark, violent and really well made. I've now got a thing for Starfire ;) Any show that can shoehorn in Brendan Fraser is worth a look!
  • nickthegun 31 Jan 2019 15:50:42 78,102 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That's kind of where I am on it, too. The trailer made it look like weapons grade bullshit, but it's surprisingly good.

I like that it's 'all in' on the DCU, too, including how ludicrous it all is.
  • Lotos8ter 31 Jan 2019 17:09:22 2,790 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @RichDC I watched it on Now Tv but I think some of the episodes are on Amazon Prime video too
  • RichDC 31 Jan 2019 18:10:51 8,355 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks guys. Been on my list for a while.
  • Dougs 31 Jan 2019 19:12:32 89,602 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nowtv now enables downloads so looking forward to piling through Gomorrah on my commute.
  • Fab4 31 Jan 2019 19:14:58 8,828 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Nowtv now enables downloads so looking forward to piling through Gomorrah on my commute.
    Be careful watching in public. Some of the interior design choices aren't for younger audiences ;)
  • Dougs 31 Jan 2019 22:04:30 89,602 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ha, I've watched quite a lot of either violent or mildly sex-obsessed box sets on my commute. Entertaining seeing some of the reactions at 7.30am.
  • Fab4 10 Feb 2019 20:26:50 8,828 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Expanse S3 - 10/10

Best sci-fi show in years.
  • arty 10 Feb 2019 21:03:26 567 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bit late there Fab?
  • Mola_Ram 11 Feb 2019 11:22:44 20,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kingdom Season 1

Korean period drama mixed with zombies, on Netflix.

It's like Game of Thrones if the White Walkers broke the wall after the first episode. There's a little bit of court intrigue, but mostly stuff moves very very quickly. Almost too quickly in places - in later episodes, people can apparently forge weapons and make complex defence structures in the space of an afternoon.

But it's very good all the same. It looks amazing, the effects are great, and it's just a lot of fun to watch. Definitely up for a Season 2.

9/10
  • glaeken 11 Feb 2019 11:43:14 12,034 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sex education - 7/10 - Enjoyable enough though really confused setting. Is it America? Why is everyone English? Is it the 80's then why does everyone have smart phones? I don't really get the thought process that ended up with it like this. The dedication to producing the 80's look is pretty strong in places but in others completely ignored. Did they start out with the idea of making a period drama and then shelved the idea? But then why have something that's so clearly an American high school with all it's culture transplanted into a UK setting.

I guess it's all an aesthetic choice but it never stops being weird but not really in the right way. I wonder if American's even realise how weird this all is to someone from the UK.

As for the actual program outside of the weird aesthetic I thought it started well but the story lines got a bit too silly and cliched towards the end. The writing felt like it got weaker as it went on and some terribly on the nose message stories got trotted out.

Edited by glaeken at 11:47:55 11-02-2019
  • BinaryBob101 11 Feb 2019 15:09:01 26,903 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Russian Doll - 10/10

Takes a tired old trope and expands on it so much, and into so many different genres, it becomes a wonderful mind altering unique thing of it's own.

Genuinely brilliant.
  • brokenkey 11 Feb 2019 15:19:50 10,238 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Russian Doll - 10/10

Takes a tired old trope and expands on it so much, and into so many different genres, it becomes a wonderful mind altering unique thing of it's own.

Genuinely brilliant.
    Still working our way through this - it takes to the end of episode 3 before it properly gets going.
  • Dougs 12 Feb 2019 07:27:27 89,602 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sex Education. 7.5/10. I agree tonally it's all over the place but it's clearly deliberate. Probably to try and rope in as many high school tropes as possible. But it's got some great characters who you quickly care about. I liked it a lot.
  • gooner77 12 Feb 2019 08:43:40 1,395 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kingdom 7/10

The makers of Walking Dead could learn a few things from this show. Loses a point for the abrupt ending. Hopefully the wait for S2 isn't too long.
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Feb 2019 14:36:38 24,623 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Catastrophe series 4 (4od)

Excellent way to conclude the entire series, as SH and RD have said that is all folks.

Loved it from the first episode of series 1 to the 6th of series 4. It help that I find Sharon Horgan super hot and talented, both she and Rob Delaney have such great chemistry, the writing is brilliant, the humour mostly very adult and very funny. The supporting cast are also great.

Look forward to see what they do next. I would love more "pulling" from SH. many years old now but one of the funniest things ever on tv.

10/10

Camping (2016) series 1

Another one of my favourite writers/performers, Julia Davis comedy about a group of old friends who go on a camping holiday in Devon to celebrate Noel's birthday.

JD's usual mix of gross out comedy with witty writing, very strong supporting cast with Rufus Jones and the horrible (in the series) Vicki Pepperdine being the standouts. It was good without being brilliant.

I found that rather like Sally 4ever it rather ran out of steam.

6/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Feb 2019 08:24:45 10,582 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Trip series 1 & 2

Loved the first series, beautifully observed comedy, real pathos in the sad bits, hilarious improvisation and wonderful views of the contryside.

Second I never really got a feel for the location and the fun was undermined by Brydon's completely out of character actions at the end of the first and sixth episodes.

Series One: 9/10
    Series Two: 7/10

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 08:25:05 16-02-2019
  • JoelStinty 16 Feb 2019 18:55:08 7,926 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Russian Doll - 10/10

Genuinely brilliant.
    I really enjoyed this as well, but donít think I got the full measure of it as I was having streaming issues last week which meant I
    wasnít fully focused on it in the last couple of episodes. Yet I had to watch it because I was enjoying it a lot.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Feb 2019 16:35:49 10,582 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Kirlian Frequency

Argentian animated short series that borrows heavy (see basically everything) from Welcome To Night Vale. Think spooky radio narrating the weird goings on in a mysterious and lost town mainly coloured purple.

It's not original but it is a lot of creepy fun.

8.5/10
  • JoelStinty 18 Feb 2019 22:27:11 7,926 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Daredevil Season 3

Absolutely loved this. Donít think I binged a whole season like I have for this for a while. A season with so many highs. Fisk brings so much to the show. Thought it did wane slightly in the last few episodes but thatís a extremely minor criticism as it kinda of reverted back to stock daredevil stuff which we seen before. But overall it was superb. Loved the intensity of it. Some of the best tv I seen I think.

5/5
  • macmurphy 19 Feb 2019 09:25:27 3,835 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Punisher Season 2

A bit of a let down.

I thought the first was really good. It had a lot to say about PTSD, soldiers coming home and grief. It was reasonably well written and Jon Bernthal makes a good anti-hero.

The second series was mostly just a grind with convoluted plotting, boring subplots and the Punisher becoming a bit of a stretch with his inarticulate shouting.

But then I quite liked the finish which I wonít bother spoilering. I guess if youíve seen it youíll hopefully know what Iím on about. I wouldnít say Iím looking forward to series 3, but Iíve not given up on it.

5/10.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 19 Feb 2019 09:31:13 20,122 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think its about time you did.
  • Youthist 19 Feb 2019 10:28:22 13,814 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Has anyone seen that prison break thing directed by Ben Stiller ? Supposed to be good. On Now TV
  • RichDC 19 Feb 2019 11:19:18 8,355 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Catastrophe - S4

As Duffman said, a perfect end to a great show. Sad there won't be any more but better than doing what so many shows do and continuing on just for the sake of it.

10/10
  • Blakester 19 Feb 2019 11:52:48 4,731 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Has anyone seen that prison break thing directed by Ben Stiller ? Supposed to be good. On Now TV
    Escape at Dannemora? I loved it!

It has a deliberately slow pace which might not be for everyone, but great performances across the board and a really interesting narrative that keep you gripped until the end.
  • seeyoshirun 19 Feb 2019 15:38:46 9 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I tend to watch a lot of shows concurrently, but rest assured these were all finished very recently.

The Americans - S4
    I'm a bit late to the party on this show (still have two more seasons to go) but in the four seasons I've watched it's already grown into one of the most thoughtful, subtle dramas I've ever watched. It feels rare to see a show made with this level of integrity and attention to detail and an almost ruthless lack of showiness.
    10/10

(S3 would have been a 10 as well, S2 about an 8.5, S1 about a 7.5)

Divorce - S2
    Having the titular divorce finalised seemed to liberate this show, and it was such a pleasure to see the characters having a little fun as they explored life as late fortysomething single people. Thomas Haden Church is always a joy and I'm surprised at how much I can actually enjoy a Sarah Jessica Parker performance.
    9/10

The Good Place - S3
    I'm hoping that the return to a setting similar to season one will refocus the series in season four, because this latest season was a bit all-over-the-place and that made it difficult to become invested in much of what was going on. The show's also starting to hinge a little heavily on fan service (some of the Chidi/Eleanor moments feel rather unearned) and a tendency to pat its audience on the back for certain views or pop cultural tastes. None of these issues are enough to stop me from watching the show - it's still mostly good and far more ambitious and original than most other comedy series - but it's no longer my favourite current show in the genre.
    7/10
  • elstoof 20 Feb 2019 22:56:03 23,451 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jack Ryan

Wasnít too bad, a bit Homeland Light, kind of low budget but not entirely noticeable. Nice and short at 8 episodes, worth it just to see Bunk Moreland being classic Bunk Moreland. Krasinski is a bit wishy washy though
  • Dougs 21 Feb 2019 08:43:31 89,602 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Agree re Good Place. Nearly lost me at one point but pulled it back towards the end of the season.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Feb 2019 22:55:31 10,582 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Umbrella Academy

Brilliant.

9.5/10
  • cov 21 Feb 2019 23:16:42 1,933 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Kingdom (south korean) outstanding 9/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.