Shetland: Series 5:
    Not bad, certainly more of a AA than AAA Police drama. 7/10

Baptiste:
    Enjoyed, while not as great as Missing. 8/10
  • Darth_Flibble 27 Mar 2019 13:20:04 3,366 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Van Helsing Season 3
    Sadly not as good as past seasons (enjoyed s1 a lot and s2 got better after slow s2 opener) Also the raspy vampire voices sound so bad

6/10
  • jimnastics 27 Mar 2019 13:23:58 1,562 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Travelers season 3

Amazingly it keeps up the quality from the last two seasons. I actually thought this one was better than season 2. A cool ideas, characters you can care about, and well written. I have read that it's ending with season 4 being the last one. In a way I am saddened but I would rather the story have a proper finish. So many shows go on to long and become awful or just end without telling the story to completion.

10/10
    Thanks for this recommendation, we've just finished season 2 and loved it. It's made a nice change from the constant crime / detective stuff my wife always makes us watch!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 27 Mar 2019 22:01:31 9,655 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Requiem

Spooky mystery drama set in Wsles from BBC but now on Netflix. I enjoyed this first time around but love it on second viewing. The setting has a real feel of the uncanny, a much more serious vibe but similar to the spooky but is it/isn't it supernatural thing Jonathan Creek had at it's best.

A ghost story that's haunting and mysterious without being hokey or bangy.

9/10
  • JoelStinty 28 Mar 2019 10:14:29 7,601 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    True Detective S3

For the most very good. I feel it kind of loses its way a little bit towards the end, but it depends on how much you have invested in it. it is not really about the case, but about ruined relationships, obsession, life etc and from that perspective it works and in its final scenes i was invested in a will he/won't he moment.

Beautifully shot, and Mahershala Ali is again terrific. Think he is probably the best actor working in film and tv at the moment. Had a bit of an issue following conversations sometimes, it quite mumbly in places but you always eventually catch up with what is going on.

Preferred the first season, but its a fine seasons in its self and it does draw from that first season.

4/5
  • Dougs 28 Mar 2019 10:35:01 88,529 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That's good to hear. It's on my list.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Mar 2019 06:11:22 9,655 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Still Game Series 9

The final ever series. Most sitcoms would go super mawkish but Greg and Ford kept it business as usual for most of the series with some classic scrapes and beautiful character work. Personally I think that the performance of Young At Heart at Winston's wedding might have been a better send off than the ending of the finale but then how can you possibly let go of some of the most beloved sitcom characters in British TV history.

And all this as the spin off from a sketch show that's nearly 20 years old.

8.5/10 for this series 10/10 for Still Game overall

Two pints ya prick
  • DUFFMAN5 31 Mar 2019 08:31:25 24,255 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The field of blood series 1+2 (Prime)
    Really good murder/police drama but from the point of view of a Glasgow newspaper reporting on them and specifically the brilliant Jayd Johnson as Paddy.
    Bonus points as it is set in the 1980's. It only got two series (4 eps in total) shame as it was just hitting its stride. Also re Still Game, this stared Ford Kierman as well.
    9/10

Collateral Netflix
    Very, very average police drama (with some lite Politics) centred around trafficking. Lots of faces you would recognise including the brilliant but underused in this, Nicola Walker. The lead two actors (Police) were awful, in fact no one came out of this well apart from the afore mentioned NW.
    It was only 4 episodes thankfully.
    4/10

Note:
    Don't forget the brilliant Line of Duty starts again tonight 31/03/19

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 08:32:37 31-03-2019
  • Syrette 31 Mar 2019 08:39:49 50,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

What's the best season of Still Game or am I best just starting from the start?

I've been meaning to watch it as I can only recall seeing the episode that aired this NYE and I thought it was brilliant.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Mar 2019 08:53:31 9,655 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Syrette most of it is on Netflix and I think everything from the reunion onwards is on iPlayer. I'd start from the beginning since so much of the humour comes from knowing the characters and their relationships

It gets slightly more cartoony as it goes but that's not always a bad thing

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 08:53:57 31-03-2019

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 08:54:22 31-03-2019
  • Syrette 31 Mar 2019 08:59:33 50,151 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Excellent - and I don't get the the oldest episodes will feel that dated either. Thanks!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Mar 2019 09:02:25 9,655 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's a bit strange seeing the slightly less warm versions of them on Chewing The Fat but once they moved to Still Game Jack & Victor really come into their own. The supporting cast too.

I can't believe some of them still look so young in real life now after 17 years
  • TechnoHippy 1 Apr 2019 08:50:30 14,768 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    After Life

I quite enjoyed this. The journey was interesting a few dark and laugh out loud moments to balance it out. The ending felt a little weak and obvious to me, but the dog was great :-)

7/10
  • dadrester 1 Apr 2019 14:11:12 2,537 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago

Alternative history Poland set in 2003 with flashbacks to 1983. Dystopian political thriller with a completely different idealistic background to US politics we're used to seeing from Hollywood.

Looks great (except weirdly about 2 minutes at the end shot in LA - probably different production staff), sounds great, and has this totally oppressive, paranoid vibe all the way through.

Solid 8/10

Edited by dadrester at 14:13:21 01-04-2019
  • Blakester 1 Apr 2019 14:24:09 4,688 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The OA Season 1

It took me two attempts to get through this, as what starts out as an interesting concept soon tests your patience with its seemingly illogical narrative twists. I can't deny though that I was hooked in the final episodes and remain a little haunted by one of the climactic scenes.

Now it's over, I'm still undecided whether I enjoyed it or thought it was a complete waste of time. Pure marmite I guess.

Jason Isaacs is great as always though.

Either 2/10 or 8/10
  • Darth_Flibble 8 Apr 2019 21:13:16 3,366 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    White Gold Series 2

Just watched the whole series on catch up as missed when it aired last month. its great to have the show back, hopefully it will get series 3 set in 80's spain selling shitty timeshare.

9/10

santa clarita diet season 3
    Felt it really jumped the undead shark as its got a bit to wacky and OTT at times. it had some good moments but going back to s1, its actually a lot stronger and mixes comedy and the gore a lot better

6/10
  • JoelStinty 8 Apr 2019 21:50:25 7,601 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Doctor Who S11

Good fun. A little on the nose but itís enegrtic and itís just a nice return to simple doctor who fun that is free from being dragged down by its lore. A good reset. Last couple of episodes were a bit meh though

4/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 21:50:59 08-04-2019
  • kentmonkey 8 Apr 2019 22:09:53 22,919 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    True detective S3

Mahershala Ali is superb. Brilliant performance. And in the main it's really interesting, but it lost its way towards the end and the ending felt like a real anti climax.

Also, it's the worst show, no matter who is acting, for actually being able to hear what people are saying. For three seasons now the dialogue has been reduced to a mumble.

7/10

This Time

Loved Jennie as a character and thought she was great. But... It was very up and down for me. Some bits were funny, most felt totally unrealistic and would never happen on a prime time show therefore losing the immersion (people calling out wanker and not be edited, partridge swearing at people in interviews, etc. Etc.).

5/10

After Life

I expected to like This Time more but ended up loving this, and i wouldn't even have watched it had it not been for some of the great reviews on here.

Bit soppy in the last episode, but overall gave me lots of laughs and dealt with a tough subject really, really well. Some great performances as well.

8/10 (last episode brought it down a point)
  • beastmaster 8 Apr 2019 22:17:41 19,130 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Walking Dead S9 - 9/10

One of the best seasons. Getting rid of a couple off characters was the best thing to happen to it. The new baddies are so damn good.

I'm tempted to give Fear a go.
  • nickthegun 8 Apr 2019 23:04:50 77,113 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ultraman (Netflix)- stop me if you've heard this one before but.... a high school student has to come to terms with his emerging superpowers while reluctantly embracing his magical destiny and battling a series of enemies that he eventually defeats with the power of determination and friendship.

Boring, badly plotted shit with that sorry 3d cell animation that makes it look like a PS3 cut scene. Takes something that could have been interesting and makes it as mundane as humanly possible.

8/10 (relative to the genre)
  • RedPanda87 9 Apr 2019 07:47:29 1,873 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fleabag S2

Superb comedy and drama expertly mixed. I really hope she changes her mind about not making a third series.

9/10

The OA S2

Very silly, sometimes engaging, sometimes not. A good ending though and I hope that is the end, because the show is absolute nonsense.

6/10
  • TechnoHippy 9 Apr 2019 09:03:07 14,768 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Love Death + Robots

A varied mix of futuristic/sci-fi stories. Some were excellent, with original ideas, others less so, but for the most part were well presented. They were all pretty short, so with 10 minutes on average, even the lesser episodes weren't too onerous.

7/10

Mayans MC

I loved Sons of Anarchy, but to be fair wasn't expecting too much from this. It starts off slowly, but does pick up the pace, and interest, towards the end.

6/10
  • Tomo 9 Apr 2019 09:32:18 16,471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fleabag S2 - gajillion/10

I also really hope there is a third series. But I can totally see why she wouldn't want to. After the gushing in the press, it'll be pretty difficult to top. That said, it's so different to anything else that more of the same would probably feel fresh in a few more years time. Realistically though, it ain't gunna happen.
  • Trowel 9 Apr 2019 23:02:16 22,337 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    House of Cards (BBC, 1990) - 10/10

I've only just started to watch the US adaptation (take it or leave it), so I knew of the original mini-series, but didn't expect it to be the best thing I've seen on telly in years. Ian Richardson is utterly compelling, in all the right and wrong ways.

If you have a few evenings to spare to rattle through it, I'd encourage you to do so.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b0082dzs/house-of-cards
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Apr 2019 23:07:07 9,655 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Trowel I'd recommend A Very British Coup on All4 too. Not as good as HoC series 1 but very much in the same bracket genre wise
  • Trowel 9 Apr 2019 23:15:15 22,337 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Cheers, will give that a go. Great to see golden oldies benefitting from the current box set binge fad.
  • wobbly_Bob 9 Apr 2019 23:16:40 5,008 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The OA season 2

Love it. I like that they have gone full on weird. Best mind bending stuff. There's not really anything else like this in TV. The ending was fantastic. 9/10

The Tick season 2
    Much better than the first season. I felt it had a better story story. I cared more for the characters. not perfect though. Lobster's a babies thing old quickly and I don't find show at all funny. I enjoyed it but it's not brilliant. 6/10]

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 23:18:36 09-04-2019
  • Anthony_UK 10 Apr 2019 00:32:15 2,947 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The last Kingdom (Season 1) 8/10

Heard Netflix picked this up for season 3 from the BBC. It being originally from the BBC, I'd unfairly assumed it would be a cheap attempt at cashing in on Game of Thrones, complete with bad acting and that god awful way they manage to film shows like this in a manner which screams low budget.

But.. It's rather excellent. Set around the time of King Alfred and his battles against the Vikings. It has some great acting and characters and the budget while not GOT levels, still is high enough to sell the place and time along with some convincing fights, skirmishes and even large scale battles. My only complaint being love interests almost seem shoehorned in to fit the HBO boob quota and aren't needed.

Edited by Anthony_UK at 00:33:38 10-04-2019
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Apr 2019 07:27:47 9,655 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fleabag S2

Loved it loved it loved it

I was sceptical about Moriarty as a priest to begin with but it really took off.

Glad it wasn't as heavy as the first became but it benefitting from been able to have fun with the characters. Claire really came into her own too.

10/10
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Apr 2019 07:32:11 19,022 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah finished it last night, easy 10. Really quite sad she's not making any more.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.